Why is Oni not that popular?

He is fair, strong power and he can snowball like crazy. He is A tier killer(?). Fun to play I would say. Why he is kinda rare?

Comments

  • I don't think it's a matter of popularity. There are so many Killers in the game now the chances of getting one in random public match is low.

  • too weak in the early game and countered hard by healing. you need a decent amount of blood orbs on the map to get your power which just won't pile up if the survivors are running the usual healing stuff. not a bad killer by any means, just not quite as strong as he used to be. shame because i love oni, i just don't see him much and my mmr on him is completely broken lol

  • It might be that he’s hard to play well without regular practice. I like Oni for example but I’m terrible with him because I don’t play him that often (I just play whoever I have a daily mission for each night so I play everybody equally infrequently.) So he’s a little harder to get into. Also he’s not as powerful as some other killers at the top end either. He’s not bad, but Blight and Nurse are better for instance for people willing to take time to play one killer regularly.

    And finally keep in mind there are almost 30 killers at this point, so the average pick rate for killer is only about 1/30 games. Some are picked more often, some less, but the average is just 1 divided by the number of killers. A killer has to be super popular to have much more than that pick rate, so even if Oni were average or a little above average you wouldn’t see him that often. And of course people doing daily missions (like me) only play him for missions about 1 in 30 games.

  • CoH counters him, and personally he is extremely overrated.

  • Any killer with fast movement where they travel via running makes me feel incredibly motion sick- Oni, Blight, Billy. Spirit is fine because it isn't that fast, and her hands being mostly steady help keep it at bay. Legion doesn't move very fast and his FOV increase to match. Nurse took me 3 months of playing with shadowborn just to desensitise myself to it, and then even more when I took it off.

    I don't want to put 6 months of effort into learning a new killer just to be able to play them without throwing up, let alone then having to learn how to play them. That's why I don't play him.

  • Because of blight

  • @Chocolate_Cosmos said:

    He is fair, strong power and he can snowball like crazy. He is A tier killer(?). Fun to play I would say. Why he is kinda rare?

    He is crazy strong but difficult to use

  • I play as Oni (I switch killers constantly but if I had to say I was a X Main, it'd be Oni).

    While he can be very powerful, he's got a few things that hurt him greatly.

    If you go up against a predrop hold W crew, he can be essentially neutered for half the game (you have to get someone bleeding early or you're in trouble; this isn't even taking into consideration CoH letting bleeding survivors off the hook constantly). He's also damn difficult in any indoor level so you always roll the dice on getting RNG screwed. The stupid autoaim ish is also easily fooled when swinging the club so against a good survivor who knows how to game the system with that 360 ish can render his one really good part worthless. Also in general, he's just not as easy as a killer to use like Leatherface with a similar one shot mechanic but no extra work to get it.

    I greatly enjoy using him but he's not an easy killer to use that can be downright useless against the wrong group of survivors.

  • Oni starts as an M1 Killer, which is boring. Once he gets his power it can be fun. But there is always the risk of not getting your power for quite a while if Survivors play extremely safe.

  • @tippy2k2 said:

    I play as Oni (I switch killers constantly but if I had to say I was a X Main, it'd be Oni).

    While he can be very powerful, he's got a few things that hurt him greatly.

    If you go up against a predrop hold W crew, he can be essentially neutered for half the game (you have to get someone bleeding early or you're in trouble; this isn't even taking into consideration CoH letting bleeding survivors off the hook constantly). He's also damn difficult in any indoor level so you always roll the dice on getting RNG screwed. The stupid autoaim ish is also easily fooled when swinging the club so against a good survivor who knows how to game the system with that 360 ish can render his one really good part worthless. Also in general, he's just not as easy as a killer to use like Leatherface with a similar one shot mechanic but no extra work to get it.

    I greatly enjoy using him but he's not an easy killer to use that can be downright useless against the wrong group of survivors.

    It's true that pre-drop every pallet, hold W and play super safe makes him lose like 3+ gens before he even gets to have his power.

  • because blight exist

  • As good as Oni's power is, the fact he needs to build it up is what makes him unpopular. Killers don't have a lot of time so killers who need to "power up" tend to not do very well against coordinated teams.

    If you want mobility, blight.

    If you want instant downs, bubba.

  • It's probably because of the ongoing healing meta. Oni requires his opponents to stay injured to charge his power, which is kinda difficult with Circle of Healing.

  • He gets hit hard by ShiftW and CoH, tho even with those things, Oni can get the pressure going if the Survivors make even a tiny mistake

  • @NoOneKnowsNova said:

    CoH counters him, and personally he is extremely overrated.

    Wait, how does CoH counter Oni? His whole ability revolves around getting a few hits then getting instant downs. Instant downs are a direct counter to Circle of Healing, it doesn’t matter if you can heal to full health if the killer instant downs you afterward. At best healed survivors bleed less, but Oni gets a lot of blood directly from hits on healthy people as well.

    I just don’t necessarily see Oni being weaker than normal due to CoH. I suspect Circle of Healing hurts killers without instant downs more than ones that have them.

  • @Chocolate_Cosmos said:

    He is fair, strong power and he can snowball like crazy. He is A tier killer(?). Fun to play I would say. Why he is kinda rare?

    His early game is atrocious and he feels like ######### to steer and aim his demon strike. He is so 360 prone.

  • @dugman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2725500#Comment_2725500

    Wait, how does CoH counter Oni? His whole ability revolves around getting a few hits then getting instant downs. Instant downs are a direct counter to Circle of Healing, it doesn’t matter if you can heal to full health if the killer instant downs you afterward. At best healed survivors bleed less, but Oni gets a lot of blood directly from hits on healthy people as well.

    I just don’t necessarily see Oni being weaker than normal due to CoH. I suspect Circle of Healing hurts killers without instant downs more than ones that have them.

    Much less blood orbs to go around if survivors heal quickly.

    Furthermore, if that CoH is in an area with no generator nearby, then it might be a waste of time to venture down there and lose important time.

    Maybe I did jump to conclusions however, as I always presumed this was the answer especially due to the fact I've seen Oni even less since CoH was released.

  • Well he has weak early game and sometimes that can mess him up since matches can go really fast. And the healing meta is not something he needed

  • @adam1233467 said:

    because blight exist

    This seems to becoming the killers version of "do bones".

  • @dugman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2725500#Comment_2725500

    Wait, how does CoH counter Oni? His whole ability revolves around getting a few hits then getting instant downs. Instant downs are a direct counter to Circle of Healing, it doesn’t matter if you can heal to full health if the killer instant downs you afterward. At best healed survivors bleed less, but Oni gets a lot of blood directly from hits on healthy people as well.

    I just don’t necessarily see Oni being weaker than normal due to CoH. I suspect Circle of Healing hurts killers without instant downs more than ones that have them.

    Because a healed up survivor will not drop any more blood orbs. If you can capitalize on your early hit and keep up the chase, thats no deal, but if the survivors manage to juke you, a properly placed CoH can get everyone back into top condition faster than you can roar in frustation.

    That being said, by my own experience the CoH meta isn't as oppressive as some people here make it to be. I think that the perk is way too much advantages in one neat little one perk-package and that the +100% healspeed buff is way out of proportions, and the multifloor range is quite busted, but besides that its pretty ok, I guess. I wish that it would maybe take a bit longer to bless a totem or you have a cooldown ofter it gets snuffed out, because sometimes they are up again in no time.

    A part of me would love to see the option to permanently destroy totems, but a lot of peeps bring up the argument that CoH would not see much play if they could be permanently destroyed. I personally doubt that, because the mechanic is pretty strong, and killers have been playing around loosing their perks mid-game since for ever, but one nerf after the other, eh? Don't always throw the baby out with the bath water.