Let's talk about the Monstrous Shrine, Scourge Hooks and the Basements

hey there,

I love that the developers want to make the hooks more attractive with perks like "Scourge Hook: Gift of Pain" or soon "Scourge Hook: Pain Resonance". But what I'm interested in is: why is "Gift of Pain" restricted, for example? 9% is not really much now and only apply 4x. But we all know that there are 4 Scourge Hooks (where I think there should be 5) and "Resonance" is not restricted. This means that the killer is rewarded whenever he hooks a survivor to a scourge hook, which is also very good and feels great. However, the effect of "Gift of Pain" only applies 1x to each survivor. Killers should be rewarded there too and the one time effect should be removed. But that's just my personal opinion. After all, it's fun to hang a survivor from a scourge hook, isn't it? The "Montrous Shrine" Perk has been talked about several times in the past, and the developers have known about the problem for a while. Why does it take so long to rework a perk like this? I don't understand. Basement hooks are special after all, and it's not for nothing that the basement is the most dangerous place on the entire map. I would also like to see unique basements, for example. Adapted to the particular map, or the particular killer. If you ask me: should the "Monstrous Shrine" be reworked so, that it is no longer possible to unhook yourself from the hook or that all remaining survivors who are not hooked, get a repair debuff or something like that. What do you think about that ? and what do you think about unique basements and scourge hooks ?

greetings

Comments

  • @PNgamer said:

    hey there,

    I love that the developers want to make the hooks more attractive with perks like "Scourge Hook: Gift of Pain" or soon "Scourge Hook: Pain Resonance". But what I'm interested in is: why is "Gift of Pain" restricted, for example? 9% is not really much now and only apply 4x. But we all know that there are 4 Scourge Hooks (where I think there should be 5) and "Resonance" is not restricted. This means that the killer is rewarded whenever he hooks a survivor to a scourge hook, which is also very good and feels great. However, the effect of "Gift of Pain" only applies 1x to each survivor. Killers should be rewarded there too and the one time effect should be removed. But that's just my personal opinion. After all, it's fun to hang a survivor from a scourge hook, isn't it? The "Montrous Shrine" Perk has been talked about several times in the past, and the developers have known about the problem for a while. Why does it take so long to rework a perk like this? I don't understand. Basement hooks are special after all, and it's not for nothing that the basement is the most dangerous place on the entire map. I would also like to see unique basements, for example. Adapted to the particular map, or the particular killer. If you ask me: should the "Monstrous Shrine" be reworked so, that it is no longer possible to unhook yourself from the hook or that all remaining survivors who are not hooked, get a repair debuff or something like that. What do you think about that ? and what do you think about unique besements and scourge hooks ? Let's talk about it and let me know your personal opinion.

    greetings

    Why do you have a salution as your last sentence?

  • I wouldn't mind if Monstrous Shrine stayed as is with an extra benefit if they changed it to a Scourge Hook and not stay specifically in the basement. It's an interesting idea, however it's not always reliable because all 4 hooks that have the effect are on top of each other and not always in a good spot.

  • I don't particularly like those changes to basement hooks as I think they're fine. That said, The Scourge Hook perks should be 5 instead of 4 and should include the basement hooks. 4 hooks just isn't enough. Scourge hooks should also be permanent, IE no breaking from perks, toolboxes, or a survivor dying on one.

    Gift of Pain should apply its slow every time, not just the first as well. 9% isn't that significant.

    They probably just don't know what to do with Monstrous Shrine for your last question. Good design would probably be to make it incentivize leaving the basement. It would have to be a pretty good incentive though seeing as you're intentionally then giving up the advantage you gain of having someone down there. Something like, "You gain Undetectable while at least 32m from the basement until the person is unhooked. Persists for 15 seconds after an unhook." Rewards you for letting them be rescued safely essentially.

  • Scourge hook perks are definitely interesting and a new breath of air for the perk roster. I like them.

    Monstrous Shrine needs to get reworked soon. No one would run it aside from a basement bubba although I think perhaps the perk should maybe affect hooks nearby the basement? The perk is supposed to empower the basement's purpose, but only limiting it to those 4 hooks that you may not always use feels very restrictive.

    I had this idea a while back:

    "Survivors hooked in the basement or hooks 20/22/24 from the basement bleed 5% faster on the hook and suffer from the broken and exhausted status effect for 10 seconds after being unhooked"

    It would make the basement still threatening, but open more opportunities for the perk to activate. Probably not the best idea, but it's an idea nonetheless.

  • Is that so important ? I should mention that I play with the German client because I am from Germany and my English is not perfect now

  • In addition to what it does now, Monstrous Shrine should make all basement hooks Scourge Hooks, and then add 1 more to the map. That way, people would use if for Scourge Hook builds, since those perks are slowly being rolled out.

  • @PNgamer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2633146#Comment_2633146

    Is that so important ? I should mention that I play with the German client because I am from Germany and my English is not perfect now

    It isnt, im just confused.

  • My suggestion for Monstrous Shrine is maybe something like this

    • Accelerates Sacrifice Progression by 3/6/9 %.
    • Rescues take 2/3/4 seconds longer
    • Basement hooks count as additional Scourge Hooks for related effects
    • You can always see the basement hook auras even when not carrying someone.

    Making this perk synergize with Scourge Hook perks could be a nice effect. The others are buffs intended to make the perk also somewhat desirable on its own (getting rid of the relatively useless self-escape penalty in favor of making it take slightly longer for rescuers to get someone out of the basement and helping the killer plan ahead knowing where the basement is all the time.)

  • I think the devs are terrified to buff monstorous shrine to prevent it from becoming OP.

    If monstorous gave amazing value, than people wold get killed in like 1 minute in the basement

  • Scourge Hook: Monstrous Shrine

    Scourge Hooks cannot be Sabotaged, and The Entity causes Survivors to Struggle even during the first stage of Sacrifice.

    The Basement Hooks are also considered Scourge Hooks

  • @AnObserver said:

    Scourge Hook: Monstrous Shrine

    Scourge Hooks cannot be Sabotaged, and The Entity causes Survivors to Struggle even during the first stage of Sacrifice.

    The Basement Hooks are also considered Scourge Hooks

    I like the sabotage, but right at the first hang would be too much of a good thing, I think^^

  • @PNgamer said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2633195#Comment_2633195

    I like the sabotage, but right at the first hang would be too much of a good thing, I think^^

     If you ask me: should the "Monstrous Shrine" be reworked so, that it is no longer possible to unhook yourself from the hook

    It's not actually sending you to the second stage, it's just a thematic way of preventing the Survivor from Unhooking themselves in the first stage while on a Scourge Hook.

  • @AnObserver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2633205#Comment_2633205

     If you ask me: should the "Monstrous Shrine" be reworked so, that it is no longer possible to unhook yourself from the hook

    It's not actually sending you to the second stage, it's just a thematic way of preventing the Survivor from Unhooking themselves in the first stage while on a Scourge Hook.

    oh i understand

  • Ok I need your help. Someone there who knows German and is good at English at the same time ?

    I noticed the following: 

    Upon being healed, the Survivor suffers from a 7/8/9 % Action Speed penalty to Healing and Repairing until they are injured again.

    In the German description it says: When the survivor is healed for the first time, he suffers ...

    What's right now ?

  • @PNgamer said:

    Ok I need your help. Someone there who knows German and is good at English at the same time ?

    I noticed the following: 

    Upon being healed, the Survivor suffers from a 7/8/9 % Action Speed penalty to Healing and Repairing until they are injured again.

    In the German description it says: When the survivor is healed for the first time, he suffers ...

    What's right now ?

    The German translation probably had outdated text from a prior dev build of the Perk, likely one that was more impactful (and as such would only occur once, with the per-Survivor restriction acting as an incentive to Hook other survivors, but then that would make Scourge Hooks have a weird kinda/sorta feel to if they work or not based on what Survivor you Hook)

    The English one should be correct.

  • @AnObserver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2633563#Comment_2633563

    The German translation probably had outdated text from a prior dev build of the Perk, likely one that was more impactful (and as such would only occur once, with the per-Survivor restriction acting as an incentive to Hook other survivors, but then that would make Scourge Hooks have a weird kinda/sorta feel to if they work or not based on what Survivor you Hook)

    The English one should be correct.

    allright, thanks

  • I feel like basement hooks should be scourge hooks as well anyways honestly, ontop of the ones on the map.

  • Hot take.

    The basement is overall unhealthy for the game and should just be removed outright (add more hooks on the map to compensate for the hook loss).

    Rework monstrous shrine into a scourge hook perk with the following effects:

    -9% faster Entity progress (unchanged)

    -Hook escape attempts CANNOT be performed.

    The current 9% penalty for failing an escape still allows you 3 attempts making it negligible, and the 15% increased difficulty is multiplicative (eg. 15% of 4%, which comes out to having a 3.4% chance to escape), also making it negligible.

    Then gift of pain should also be buffed to make it more appealing. Considering there are only 4 scourge hooks, I think either of the following two changes would be fair:

    a) Increase the repair/healing penalty, or

    b) the penalty applies even if you do not heal and/or the penalty persists until your next down, instead of until your next injure.

    I also agree scourge hooks should not break on a sacrifice. I’m okay with them being able to be sabotaged though.

  • @sizzlingmario4 said:

    Hot take.

    The basement is overall unhealthy for the game and should just be removed outright (add more hooks on the map to compensate for the hook loss).

    Rework monstrous shrine into a scourge hook perk with the following effects:

    -9% faster Entity progress (unchanged)

    -Hook escape attempts CANNOT be performed.

    The current 9% penalty for failing an escape still allows you 3 attempts making it negligible, and the 15% increased difficulty is multiplicative (eg. 15% of 4%, which comes out to having a 3.4% chance to escape), also making it negligible.

    Then gift of pain should also be buffed to make it more appealing. Considering there are only 4 scourge hooks, I think either of the following two changes would be fair:

    a) Increase the repair/healing penalty, or

    b) the penalty applies even if you do not heal and/or the penalty persists until your next down, instead of until your next injure.

    I also agree scourge hooks should not break on a sacrifice. I’m okay with them being able to be sabotaged though.

    I honestly feel more hooks on the map would be even worse for game health, and not being able to escape just makes deliverance void (just like Stridor is now). Maybe at least let it give one escape attempt, as I don't think any perk should fully counter another perk. So I guess you're right about it being a hot take lol


    I think for the effort needed scourge hooks should be strong anyways, it takes time to take someone to a hook even with a carrying build so they should be rewarded for the time spent, so I like your ideas regarding that and them not breaking on sacrifice makes sense, makes the perks more appealing honestly and gives them more characteristics different from normal hooks which is strategically appealing.

  • @Rokku_Rorru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2633896#Comment_2633896

    I honestly feel more hooks on the map would be even worse for game health, and not being able to escape just makes deliverance void (just like Stridor is now). Maybe at least let it give one escape attempt, as I don't think any perk should fully counter another perk. So I guess you're right about it being a hot take lol

    I think for the effort needed scourge hooks should be strong anyways, it takes time to take someone to a hook even with a carrying build so they should be rewarded for the time spent, so I like your ideas regarding that and them not breaking on sacrifice makes sense, makes the perks more appealing honestly and gives them more characteristics different from normal hooks which is strategically appealing.

    That’s fair about deliverance, I actually forgot about that. Maybe make it 0% default chance but deliverance overrides it.

  • @sizzlingmario4 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2635328#Comment_2635328

    That’s fair about deliverance, I actually forgot about that. Maybe make it 0% default chance but deliverance overrides it.

    That would work, I agree.

  • @sizzlingmario4 said:

    Hot take.

    The basement is overall unhealthy for the game and should just be removed outright (add more hooks on the map to compensate for the hook loss).

    Rework monstrous shrine into a scourge hook perk with the following effects:

    -9% faster Entity progress (unchanged)

    -Hook escape attempts CANNOT be performed.

    The current 9% penalty for failing an escape still allows you 3 attempts making it negligible, and the 15% increased difficulty is multiplicative (eg. 15% of 4%, which comes out to having a 3.4% chance to escape), also making it negligible.

    Then gift of pain should also be buffed to make it more appealing. Considering there are only 4 scourge hooks, I think either of the following two changes would be fair:

    a) Increase the repair/healing penalty, or

    b) the penalty applies even if you do not heal and/or the penalty persists until your next down, instead of until your next injure.

    I also agree scourge hooks should not break on a sacrifice. I’m okay with them being able to be sabotaged though.

    Remove the basement ? That would be terrible