Is there any reason not to have special abilities disabled within x meters of hooked survivor?

This would stop:

  • Hag’s strategy consistent of 10 traps around the hook.
  • Bubba’s standing at the hook with their chainsaw.
  • Plague standing at the hook with red vomit.

Killers would still be able to M1/grab, so I don’t think this would have much negative impact at all. It would make the game healthier for sure.

Comments

  • @ChiSoxFan11 said:

    I played a Huntress game the other night. Hooked an Adam on top of a hill with a generator at the base of it. Immediately after the hook, I walked down to Pop the generator. As I'm going to kick it, I hear the notification of an unhook, and I turn back to see the Adam and the Claudette (who had run behind me, evidently) who had just unhooked him scrambling down the hill past me. And with this suggestion, the penalty for one of the stupidest, unsafest unhooks you could possibly make -- I mean, I couldn't even get 2 feet away before they rescued (and my educated guess, by the way the team played during the match, was that it was a 3-person SWF and a solo, with the Claudette and Adam playing together, so no hook farming of a random in this case) -- the penalty for that nonsense should go to ME? By not being able to use my hatchets on even the Claudette (who definitely deserved one for that terrible play)?

    How about no? As the killer, what would you have me do in that situation? Watch them both run happily away somewhere to heal and bake some cookies on the top of the generator and wait until they're ready to do something else that's bad survivor gameplay? (I play a ton of survivor as well, and unless there's NO other option, and unhook like that, especially against a ranged killer is just that -- terribly bad gameplay).

    For the record, I smacked Claudette with a thrown hatchet and sent one Adam's way as well and downed him before he could get to safety. Then I chased the Claudette down, gave her a another hatchet for her trouble, and hooked her (their third teammate was picking the Adam up while I did this). Your suggestion robs me of all of that, and forces me as a slower moving killer to have to chase one or the other down on foot, rewarding them for making a terrible rescue that, if they'd given me a literal second to kick the gen and leave the area (I run BBQ and saw the random working further away and was headed there next), they could have gotten safely.

    Again, how about a big "no" to an unnecessary change that penalizes smart play and rewards bad ones.

    So you’re saying an extremely niche situation is enough to trump all the killers standing still with an instadown? Don’t think so. I’m a huntress main on the killer side and would do just fine with the change.

    As killers we need to stop only thinking of ourselves.

  • @BlueMeansDeep said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2568402#Comment_2568402

    So you’re saying an extremely niche situation is enough to trump all the killers standing still with an instadown? Don’t think so. I’m a huntress main on the killer side and would do just fine with the change.

    As killers we need to stop only thinking of ourselves.

    As a person you need to stop deciding how your peers should play.

    Camping will be optimal for as long as 2 hooks is considered a win.

  • While camping in some instances is very abusive and overall promotes a style of play that isn't fun this option would not only be abused but would target even those that don't camp. This option, in my opinion, isn't the way to go about fixing the issue as it would only promote more unsafe ways to rescue people from hooks. The best way for people to not camp would be to give them an incentive that is more rewarding than camping, not penalizing killers by disabling their powers.

  • @BlueMeansDeep said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2568402#Comment_2568402

    So you’re saying an extremely niche situation is enough to trump all the killers standing still with an instadown? Don’t think so. I’m a huntress main on the killer side and would do just fine with the change.

    As killers we need to stop only thinking of ourselves.

    You are saying a niche situation should be enough to nerf literally every killer.

  • @BlueMeansDeep said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2568402#Comment_2568402

    So you’re saying an extremely niche situation is enough to trump all the killers standing still with an instadown? Don’t think so. I’m a huntress main on the killer side and would do just fine with the change.

    As killers we need to stop only thinking of ourselves.

    If only if were a niche situation. I've easily lost count of the number of times I've gotten into chase with someone far away from a hook, then watch them beeline for the person on the hook with me right behind them, me saying, "Wait a minute -- you're not actually going to unhook them right in front of me, are you?" -- and then they do. Or the times someone has rushed the hook before I could even get away. Sometimes it's someone trying to bodyblock or flashlight save, and instead of leaving, they decide to loop me around the hooked survivor (when they drop a pallet and teabag while their teammate is headed into 2nd stage, that's always the head-scratcher). Or all of the generally unsafe hook rescues I see on a regular basis. Those aren't niche occasions -- they're all too common occurrences by survivors not playing correctly (a lot of it involves pulling someone off of hook immediately, when smart survivors know a person can sit up there for a while if need be).

    And I play PLENTY of survivor myself, so I see that inefficient play from the other side too. If I had a dollar for every time myself or my friend (when we are in our 2-person SWF playing with randoms) had to tell the other one of us "The [insert random survivor name here] won't leave the hook and the killer is chasing them around me -- there's no way you're going to be able to come and get me until they get the hell out of here", I'd be able to retire to a life of luxury now, lol. ALL of what I've described is textbook BAD play as a survivor, and why a killer should get penalized for it makes no sense. Making bad decisions in game shouldn't get you a free pass. I'm not mad at the killer in those situations -- I'm mad at my teammates for not recognizing where to be and when.

    I'm not the greatest survivor, but when I'm playing with a full group, these things don't happen, since we're all at least smart enough to not do dumb things like that. If you want to do something to deal with outright face-camping, that's understandable -- but the suggestion made here would do at lot more than that, which is why it's a flawed suggestion. And frankly, the number of times I've been outright face-camped outside of the EGC through literally thousands of matches at this point has been so few and far between, changing things to that extreme to stop those relatively rare occasions would be completely unnecessary.

  • no, there really isn't

    anybody who defends this kind of playstyle are probably really happy when they get 1k by facecamp :D

  • @snek said:

    no, there really isn't

    anybody who defends this kind of playstyle are probably really happy when they get 1k by facecamp :D

    Who is defending face camping verus people pointing out how bad of an idea it is for the game to disable killer powers at all?

    It's really what I hate about the people who constantly suggest awful solutions towards "fixing" camping. They don't play killer and don't care if they create an awful situation for the killer, they only care about that they get free unhooks at any cost. Then anytime their suggestions get pointed out in being abuseable they cry that everyone is defending camping.

1 2 ›