"Don't buy them then" ~ The true cost of cosmetics
I keep seeing people telling others who have an issue with the price of cosmetics to just not buy them or that they don't have to buy them.
You're missing the point of the discussion.
It's not about money, it's about value.
Many of us, myself included, think that the price of cosmetics in game time and money does not match their value.
Other game prices come up, but one point is always left out... Those games might be (I've only played Path of Exile) more fun, balanced, and less infuriating than DbD.
We've been asking for balance for years and have even been told to play another game instead of having our concerns acted upon. Who else remembers the pallet and flashlight stun fiasco? That was a deliberate change that the devs thought was a good idea....
Now we have a cosmetic cash shop with pricing meant to fleece us while we wait and hope that the game improves.
BHVR is asking us to give them more money for things that will not improve the balance of the game and trust that they will put that money to good use for balance IN THE FUTURE. Maybe another great idea like the Wraith cube...
This is the core of our (my) reluctance to buy cosmetics at their current price. I have a full time job and I own a small business, I can afford these things, but I don't feel good about giving these devs more of my money given the current state of the game.
I'd totally buy Lettuce Hag for $3 though.
Fix the game.
Balance it.
Take care of the player's concerns.
Make it fun for everyone, and THEN charge us a higher price for shinies... Earn our goodwill like the games they borrowed this cosmetic shop idea from and we'll gladly pay.
But right now, they need to show us they understand their own game and are going to take care of their player base...
Not just milk us for cash through an overpriced cosmetic shop.
You're missing the point of the discussion.
It's not about money, it's about value.
Many of us, myself included, think that the price of cosmetics in game time and money does not match their value.
Other game prices come up, but one point is always left out... Those games might be (I've only played Path of Exile) more fun, balanced, and less infuriating than DbD.
We've been asking for balance for years and have even been told to play another game instead of having our concerns acted upon. Who else remembers the pallet and flashlight stun fiasco? That was a deliberate change that the devs thought was a good idea....
Now we have a cosmetic cash shop with pricing meant to fleece us while we wait and hope that the game improves.
BHVR is asking us to give them more money for things that will not improve the balance of the game and trust that they will put that money to good use for balance IN THE FUTURE. Maybe another great idea like the Wraith cube...
This is the core of our (my) reluctance to buy cosmetics at their current price. I have a full time job and I own a small business, I can afford these things, but I don't feel good about giving these devs more of my money given the current state of the game.
I'd totally buy Lettuce Hag for $3 though.
Fix the game.
Balance it.
Take care of the player's concerns.
Make it fun for everyone, and THEN charge us a higher price for shinies... Earn our goodwill like the games they borrowed this cosmetic shop idea from and we'll gladly pay.
But right now, they need to show us they understand their own game and are going to take care of their player base...
Not just milk us for cash through an overpriced cosmetic shop.
Comments
Most people find skins overpriced or underwhelming no matter the price of the game relative to the skins (or just the absolute price of the skins). I've seen people complain about €3 skins in a €60 game. I've seen people complain about free skins in a free game. I've seen people complain about free skins in a paid game. No matter what, people will always complain.
Nailed it, they are worse than the typical casual player
So if I choose to buy something I like I am a cattle. Nice.
I've got my Auric Cells purchased ready for some Jane Romero cosmetics!
Yes, I am part of the problem.
Lmao same, I will buy her 2 new outfits right away.
My money, my choice guys, I am so sorry. Despite the game's flaws, I have 1373 hours as of now. If the game dies tomorrow, I honestly don't know what I am gonna do with my computer since there is no other game I play as much as I play DbD.
They are improving the game day by day. Cosmetic store came with the clown update and with that update and the following updates, we've gotten pallet vacuum removal, double pallet removal, nerf to exhaustion perks, main building changes, removal of some very safe pallets, nerf and buff to some killer and survivor perks, buff to some killers etc. We are looking at DS nerf and a couple of upcoming changes.
They are improving the game and I have faith in them, I don't see my money being wasted right now. Community is too negative towards BHVR and their good will.
IMO, the true cost of cosmetics was entirely positive, and helped them a lot to improve the game and still helps them to continue to improve it.
@SpaceCoconut I wasn't equating you with a fanboy in any way shape or form and you've got the wrong understanding of that insult then. IT's meant as an insult to someone that supports a game company.
So no you're most definitely not a fanboy and no i never called you that nor equated you with one. To me it's a childish and infantile insult used by those who frequent 4Chan and can't actually debate.
I feel the costmetics (most) are over priced as well. My problem is that people buying lots of these cosmetics and DLC's supports them to work on more cosmetics and DLC's. People need to spend less money in solidarity until they work on the real issues which is bugs and (to a degree) balance. I have spent a ton of money on cosmetics, but as this game gets more and more broken, I don't care how cool the character looks, the game becomes unfun to play. Just my .02.
And that's another thing.
You can spend $60 on a game, enjoy it for 10-20 hours and then never touch it again.
DBD is $20 now? And that's not counting the fact that it's often 50% off.
When you spend $20 and get 1373 hours I think it's easy to say you've got more than your moneys worth and then justify buying a few cosmetics. That's what I do. I've definitely got my value out of this.
My opinion:
I do not understand why people complain about the price cosmetics and demand for lower prices when most cosmetics are free to obtain with shards. There are some cosmetics (not many) that cost actual money and that’s because the developers need to make money. This is why cells cost a decent amount of change. Why would a person spend cells on something if you can buy it with shards? I believe that the majority that spend money on auric cells are the dedicated players who really enjoy the game and want to support it. Not saying that all dedicated players need to buy cells. It just seems that DBD is trying to market to players who can see themselves spending countless hours in the game. Finally, the skins are literally just pixels and the game does not force you to buy the skin if you do not want too. Please take my opinion with a grain of salt and I respect everyone who are making valid a claim or opinion on the opposing side.