Am I the only one who thinks DBDs merch is really underwhelming

Like so many are just 1 plain color with a perk or other DBD related icon slapped on which I can forgive for being unoriginal and really basic because they actually look nice.

Most of the ones for killers are just the most basic PNGs you see everywhere on a plain color with their name in the background and they dont even have this for all killers. Like if every killer got a basic ass t-shirt like this fine I get it there is a lot to work through but like only Hag and Huntress get this ######### treament and Trickster was unlucky enough not to even get his name.

image.png

IN WHAT WORLD IS THIS A 21 EURO OFFICIAL PIECE OF MERCH. IT IS THE MOST GENERIC TRICKSTER IMAGE ON A PLAIN T SHIRT AND THEY COPY AND PASTED THIS EXACT IMAGE ONTO 2 TANK TOPS THAT ARE 1 PLAIN COLOR.

Legion Trapper and Wraith got some pretty basic but actually nice looking ones

image.png

Why do only 3 killers get this treatment.It does not seem like it would be that difficult to replicate this for every killer.

image.png

Like what I think is the best merch in the entire DBD store you would not be able to tell is related to DBD unless you play it enough to know meg and claudettes outfits that well.

Most of the other merch looks bad imo but at least they look unique and recognisable and it might just be my taste but some of the merch here looks laughably bad.

Comments

  • I made the grave mistake of venturing out of clothes only and WHO THE ######### WOULD PAY 22 EURO FOR THIS

    image.png

    istg it looks like they printed off the first google search of Nurse and Doctor and glued them to a pair of flip flops

  • I'm disappointed dbd merch isn't any different from most videogame merch I see. The basic clothes with a graphic printed on it is probably more profitable than dishing out more money to fashion designers to recreate in game clothes & other cool looking accessories. However it gets to a point where paying someone $10 to send me a sweater with a trapper.png printed on it looks indistinguishable from actual dbd merch.

  • There's also a lot of disappointing stuff. A lot of people (including me) really wanted the Ugly Sweaters to become real items and we got Monkey Paw'd.

    This is David's Ugly Sweater in game

    image.png

    This is David's Ugly Sweater in store

    image.png

    These are not the same thing, these aren't even similar they are blatantly different sweaters.

  • @CheeseAnton said:

    There's also a lot of disappointing stuff. A lot of people (including me) really wanted the Ugly Sweaters to become real items and we got Monkey Paw'd.

    This is David's Ugly Sweater in game

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/XIUXW301X4V0/image.png

    This is David's Ugly Sweater in store

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/1S9KHDXYNBIS/image.png

    These are not the same thing, these aren't even similar they are blatantly different sweaters.

    Yeah David's Ugly Sweater in the merch store REALLY lives up to the name

  • @CornHub said:

    I'm disappointed dbd merch isn't any different from most videogame merch I see. The basic clothes with a graphic printed on it is probably more profitable than dishing out more money to fashion designers to recreate in game clothes & other cool looking accessories. However it gets to a point where paying someone $10 to send me a sweater with a trapper.png printed on it looks indistinguishable from actual dbd merch.

    My issue is in so many other games of compareable size or even smaller actually have good merch and DBD has imo an amazing art team. Like come on how tf does Splitgate a f2p game just barely launched(well unless you count early access but even then still 3 years younger than DBD) with new developers have better merch than anything on DBDs store. I was gonna do R6 since its a comparable in size game to DBD that has also been around a long time but I though oh maybe that would be unfair since it has Ubisoft.

    ######### BTD6 has better merch. A MOBILE GAME HAS BETTER MERCH THAN DBD. Like not only is it unique intresting designs but the ones that look basic arent limited to 1 ######### color most of them are in so many goddamn colors ######### thanataphobia is in 2 shades of purple THATS ITS.

  • I´ve seen streamers with better merch stores. So yeah, the merch they offer is bad. I was so hyped when i first saw their store, but its a total let down.

  • @Friendly_Blendette said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2475667#Comment_2475667

    My issue is in so many other games of compareable size or even smaller actually have good merch and DBD has imo an amazing art team. Like come on how tf does Splitgate a f2p game just barely launched(well unless you count early access but even then still 3 years younger than DBD) with new developers have better merch than anything on DBDs store. I was gonna do R6 since its a comparable in size game to DBD that has also been around a long time but I though oh maybe that would be unfair since it has Ubisoft.

    ######### BTD6 has better merch. A MOBILE GAME HAS BETTER MERCH THAN DBD. Like not only is it unique intresting designs but the ones that look basic arent limited to 1 ######### color most of them are in so many goddamn colors ######### thanataphobia is in 2 shades of purple THATS ITS.

    I think when they limited themselves to basic tees, the graphic design on them needs to warrant the usually $25 price or the franchise is extremely popular to warrant having it. I looked some up & I mean:

    Splitgate

    Splitgate-Coal-Tee_1000x.png


    BTD6

    mockup-7a078267_960x.png

    Slime rancher

    product_SR_feral_shirt_main.png

    Deep Rock Galactic

    WDEP049CDD1_RedSugarBoscOs_HGY-1000x1000.png

    None of these games are by AAA studios & they're all between $20-$25. DBD's really lowering the bar for video game tees

  • They definitely aren't the best. The only dbd merch I ever got was a hoodie from somewhere on Amazon. Done me a very good job 👍

  • I would kill for schoolgirl spirit statue, figure, shirt. Literally anything. I hate her basic skin

  • I agree. And I don't mean it to be rude towards the DBD art team, because I'm a fellow artist myself and hopefully I'll be doing art as my career so I understand how it is. But I think on Twitter in July they were looking to commission artists to do some merch designs? I'm not sure where that ended up going. I applied because it's my job and I'm actively looking for commissions and I would love to design some merch for DBD but I never heard back. I'd love to see some people's artwork on merch, and something more creative than just an already made image placed in the middle of the shirt. They could put designs along the arms of hoodies, designs on the back, or even the entire piece of clothing being a design — sort of like a collage. There's a lot of ideas.

  • @Tricksters_Wife said:

    I agree. And I don't mean it to be rude towards the DBD art team, because I'm a fellow artist myself and hopefully I'll be doing art as my career so I understand how it is. But I think on Twitter in July they were looking to commission artists to do some merch designs? I'm not sure where that ended up going. I applied because it's my job and I'm actively looking for commissions and I would love to design some merch for DBD but I never heard back. I'd love to see some people's artwork on merch, and something more creative than just an already made image placed in the middle of the shirt. They could put designs along the arms of hoodies, designs on the back, or even the entire piece of clothing being a design — sort of like a collage. There's a lot of ideas.

    Yeah my issue is that they have a good art team like look at some of the skins concept art they look ######### gorgeus like I would buy that

    image.png

    LIKE I WANT THIS ######### BLIGHT ON A T SHIRT GIMME NOW

  • @CornHub said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2475706#Comment_2475706

    I think when they limited themselves to basic tees, the graphic design on them needs to warrant the usually $25 price or the franchise is extremely popular to warrant having it. I looked some up & I mean:

    Splitgate

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/L479IKP3DVUL/splitgate-coal-tee-1000x.png

    BTD6

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/M6VQ3VQO0ND5/mockup-7a078267-960x.png

    Slime rancher

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/BFSOOQSP0DE4/product-sr-feral-shirt-main.png

    Deep Rock Galactic

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/N84AQ5JFEGHD/wdep049cdd1-redsugarboscos-hgy-1000x1000.png

    None of these games are by AAA studios & they're all between $20-$25. DBD's really lowering the bar for video game tees

    Oh imo BTD6 has MUCH better merch

    image.png

    this isnt just a cartoon of a very common bloon its a popular art piece by bansky made into t shirt for their game.

    Also personally I dont like this one but I feel like I have to share this.

    image.png


  • @Tsulan said:

    I´ve seen streamers with better merch stores. So yeah, the merch they offer is bad. I was so hyped when i first saw their store, but its a total let down.

    Oh yeah most DBD streamers have better merch than them like look at otzdarava merch so much better.

  • I also wish they did some charms as Keychains, the one from autohaven is pretty cool.

  • Not a fan of most of the stuff in the merch store. The only thing I like in the merch store is the vintage movie Trapper shirt. Everything else just doesn't appeal to me.

    The Meg/Claudette pet sweaters I could get similar designs through animal rescues and have 100% of the proceeds go to the rescue instead of $1.

  • Yeah most of the merch is kinda bad. I wish they were good though. There is so much potential wasted.

  • oh holy hell i never looked before, yeah that's awful lmao, i imagine merch isn't a major revenue source for bhvr so it gets treated as an afterthought, which sucks

  • It would be cool to have more of the iconic outfits of the game actually be available (like the pet sweaters).

    Also some of the charms would probably make really cool keychains or something.

  • I was able to grab hold of Nea's 'Mashtyx' hoodie before the store got overhauled. It actually looks really nice for how simple it is. Far nicer than the images above.