Wait... why is 'Broken Key' still a thing in chests?

Even the devs acknowledged that it's utterly useless without addons, so... spaghetti-code aside, why not disable it as possible chestloot ?

feels weird

Comments

  • Honestly the green key should always spawn with addons.

    However the other keys should never spawn in chests. Especially until they're rebalanced (or nerfed if you prefer)

  • @EntitySpawn said:

    Honestly the green key should always spawn with addons.

    However the other keys should never spawn in chests. Especially until they're rebalanced (or nerfed if you prefer)

    I'd say one way of balancing the other keys migth be to have them ONLY spawn in chests once the hatch has spawned. if all chests are open at the time, tough luck.

  • To troll you

  • @EntitySpawn said:

    Honestly the green key should always spawn with addons.

    However the other keys should never spawn in chests. Especially until they're rebalanced (or nerfed if you prefer)

    Agreed as having it at least spawn with a minimum of a eroded token to let you use it as a limited bond would make it so much better.

    Or just have the eroded token effect being on all keys and just rework the eroded token add-on to do something else.

  • When people get mad about keys, I always think of the countless green keys with no add-ons that spawn in chests lol

    I don't hate that we get them tbh, but they really are entirely useless.

  • I'm still wondering why brown tool boxes are still a thing when I bring plunderer's.

  • I agree. Broken key with no add-ons is the only item that's 100% useless so, unless you want to collect broken keys for some reason, it's the same as getting an empty chest.

  • It just should be like this :

    • if a broken key is found in a chest, the chance of an other broken key spawning in an other chest is 50%
    • While holding a broken key, see the aura of any other broken key in the map and unlock the "Repair Key" action if you stand in a 2m radius from an other broken key. Not all "Repair Key" actions are 100% successfull. If you are healthy you have a 75% chance of success, injured you only have 50%. Luck perks and offerings affect the "Repair Key" action.
    • Any addons attached on one of the Broken key will stay attached to the Repaired Key. If both Broken keys had 2 addons then the 2 addons of the Repaired Key are chosen randomly between the 4.
  • @Adeloo said:

    It just should be like this :

    • if a broken key is found in a chest, the chance of an other broken key spawning in an other chest is 50%
    • While holding a broken key, see the aura of any other broken key in the map and unlock the "Repair Key" action if you stand in a 2m radius from an other broken key. Not all "Repair Key" actions are 100% successfull. If you are healthy you have a 75% chance of success, injured you only have 50%. Luck perks and offerings affect the "Repair Key" action.
    • Any addons attached on one of the Broken key will stay attached to the Repaired Key. If both Broken keys had 2 addons then the 2 addons of the Repaired Key are chosen randomly between the 4.

    That's absurdly complicated, I like it. Not on a practical level though. x3

    On a practical level it'd make more sense to have one 1 kind of key that can only be found in chests. it can't be brought into the match

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2465877#Comment_2465877

    That's absurdly complicated, I like it. Not on a practical level though. x3

    On a practical level it'd make more sense to have one 1 kind of key that can only be found in chests. it can't be brought into the match

    yeah it might be a little bit too complicated you are right ahah but i always thought why are they broken if there is no way to fix them ? :D

  • @Adeloo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2465883#Comment_2465883

    yeah it might be a little bit too complicated you are right ahah but i always thought why are they broken if there is no way to fix them ? :D

    yeah. i mean, you 'technically' fix them with the addons, but.... does anyone actually use the keys for anything but opening hatches?

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2465901#Comment_2465901

    yeah. i mean, you 'technically' fix them with the addons, but.... does anyone actually use the keys for anything but opening hatches?

    yeah exactly XD

  • To make killers mad.

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    Even the devs acknowledged that it's utterly useless without addons, so... spaghetti-code aside, why not disable it as possible chestloot ?

    feels weird

    Broken Keys do server a purpose. They spawn a camping and tunneling killer in your game.

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2465901#Comment_2465901

    yeah. i mean, you 'technically' fix them with the addons, but.... does anyone actually use the keys for anything but opening hatches?

    I use broken keys for aura reading esp the one that lets me see who the obsession is.

    It is somewhat like an extra aura perk but has very limited use


    Other than that keys are kind of worthless unless you need to hatch

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    Even the devs acknowledged that it's utterly useless without addons, so... spaghetti-code aside, why not disable it as possible chestloot ?

    feels weird

    Because BHVR. Next question.

  • There is one use Broken Keys have. Since they look the same as other keys, if the killer sees you have it, it's possible that he will choose to slug at certain points in the match which could work in your favor depending on the killer.

    I had a match as Nemesis where I had one survivor dead, there was one gen left, but then I saw 1 had a key (turned out to be a green key). Because of this, I had to slug a survivor instead of hooking him, which means i did not get pop, which means I couldn't pressure a gen they were working on, I also couldn't leave the general area where that survivor was slugged because if he got up and found the hatch I would lose 2 or 3 people. It was a bad situation for a killer like Nemesis that doesn't get to move around quickly. In the end I only got 1 because they got the final gen and then rescued with BT for a free escape.

    To be fair though, I think that it's absolutely bullshit that a ######### item can condition a game like that, and I don't think it should be a thing. But it is a use you can find for a broken key, depending on the killer you play against.