Perks sometimes matter more than Skill

No matter how well you play, there are points where game mechanics take over and decide outcomes for you.

DBD isn’t a competitive game and sometimes expression of skill just isn’t possible. That doesn’t make you bad its just the game design.

When game changing plays happen due to a perk, I don’t get mad. I just think to myself “ok then” and just move on.

Comments

  • @Gamedozer7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2452180#Comment_2452180

    No the unhooked ran at me knowing they had ds and I was taking a chase with 2 health states still or DS.i knew they had it why else would you body block off hook

    sorry I thought you said the unhooker ran at you… either way, my comment was based on DS being used at other times away from the hook.

  • I've been a strong proponent of removing the rank system for some time now. It's just not needed. Hell, some 80% of this player base is probably casual.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2452183#Comment_2452183

    sorry I thought you said the unhooker ran at you… either way, my comment was based on DS being used at other times away from the hook.

    My bad. They yeah I haven't seen it used like that since old DS(the flashbacks)

  • @SilentPill said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2449938#Comment_2449938

    I’ll never get why people complain about it. It takes 1 perk out of 16 survivor perks to get rid of the combo within like 90~ seconds usually. That’s supposed to be the equivalent of 8 perks for the killer.

    That’s really not true, the perks are actually all flawed at destroying totems, the rainbow map is the only reliable totem cleanser. Small game can be misleading with the range, and you have no idea specifically for where to go. Counterforce is extremely time consuming, due to showing the farthest totem, as well as offering no help for finding the first totem. Detective’s hunch is good, because it requires completing a gen, which varies in how long it takes, and is only really good with a map. In fact, Otz even proved having counterforce is often the same as running nothing.

    The map totally overrules the perks, which are really not very good. This video shows how ineffective the perks are for otz, who knows the spawns much better than most of us. https://youtu.be/MXWwG4c20-A

  • @EvilJoshy said:

    Take away dead hard, half the survivor player basis can't loop.

    Half the killers can’t either though.

  • @SilentPill said:

    I think it’s easy to agree that survivor perks are significantly more game changing than killer ones. Ruin Undying? Hard countered so easily by so many things.

    NOED? Killer has probably already lost the game by then. I can’t really think of anything else that’s a huge game changer for killer. Maybe tinkerer but that’s only as good as it is if ruin is up.

    There’s nothing as close as impactful as perks like DS/BT/DH/Unbreakable/etc that’s for sure

    Killers trying to kill rush get slapped by every survivor perk in the book but survivors can rush the gens penalty free just about

    That's gotta be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum tonight. Literally every potentially game changing perk can be played around. DS? Wait out the timer or go for the unhooker maybe? Unbreakable just pick up the survivors? Unless it's absolutely necessary to slug. But these game changing perks arent so game changing if you play around them correctly. And killer perks can be just as impactful LIKE noed or ruin undying. Look at otzdarvas time values on slowdown perks and just LOOK at the potential values. You don't get to use unbreakable or ds every game and your ruin might get popped at the beginning of the game. Perk wise this game is pretty balanced. I play both sides equally and im devotion 11, And i find it very annoying hearing anybody complain about "crutch perks" because literally any meta perks on EITHER side is a crutch perk. Noed ruin undying HUGE crutch perks DS unbreakable BT HUGE crutch perks BUT what would this game be like without them? Killers would be forced to camp and tunnel to get kills. Gens would fly. And kills would fly. The game would change traumatically without the meta in place currently.

  • @Bluebird said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2450147#Comment_2450147

    I can agree with this statement. There's been times I've looped people and mindgamed them moderately well, then they Dead Hard, then just start looping again for maybe 15 seconds. If they didn't have that Dead Hard, they'd be dead faster. This ALSO applies to Exhaustion perks. Half the playerbase would lose 60% more games if Exhaustion perks got removed because they rely on them so heavily. Take away any speed-related perks, and the Survivors won't win (the ones that use them, at least).

    I remember before there was exhaustion. You could stack SB, BL lithe and DH. Then when they added exhaustion so many people were saying killers would be unstoppable.

  • @Sabraiz said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2450058#Comment_2450058

    Getting healed does NOT disable Decisive Strike. As long as the one with Decisive Strike does not do any action that progresses survivor objectives it does not get disabled, so others can you just fine without disabling it.

    Ok cool

  • Assuming equal survivor/killer skill, or just setting skill aside entirely, I feel like maps are the biggest deciding factor. No matter how you slice it, some maps are just plain unfair for certain sides. I don't disagree that perks can play a huge part, but at the same time you can often see a good killer clean house with no perks.

  • @PeaceNGrease said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2450058#Comment_2450058

    You can't use the bugs of DH against it as a negative anymore, it literally breaks the game for killer on console now. It's basically a free escape when used now.

    On the contrary I can... due to players on the ground after using it

    And I know it breaks the game on console cause I play on Xbox

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2450537#Comment_2450537

    On the contrary I can... due to players on the ground after using it

    And I know it breaks the game on console cause I play on Xbox

    I think that makes it even. On PS4, they literally teleport, or I might end up backwards somehow. Ever 5.1.0 I haven't had it work in my favor once

  • @PeaceNGrease said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2452877#Comment_2452877

    I think that makes it even. On PS4, they literally teleport, or I might end up backwards somehow. Ever 5.1.0 I haven't had it work in my favor once

    Which is why I included DH.... cause it is a problem on both sides (a perk that needs to be fixed... No number changes though just the freezing, lagging and not working part)

    DH is a decent perk for those who know how to use it... I don't cause I have my build and it works for me

  • @gatsby said:

    No matter how well you play, there are points where game mechanics take over and decide outcomes for you.

    DBD isn’t a competitive game and sometimes expression of skill just isn’t possible. That doesn’t make you bad its just the game design.

    When game changing plays happen due to a perk, I don’t get mad. I just think to myself “ok then” and just move on.

    The worse part is that you can only go "ok then" so many times and then you face players that control the entire outcome of the match with just their perks, items, and add-ons

  • @SilentPill said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2449974#Comment_2449974

    You do realize it’s literally impossible to do 12 hooks on any non top tier killer if the survivors are not bots? Every big streamer for this game also says that.

    I think the best example is watching true talent get friggin slapped trying to play nice against a tournament team.

    I wanna see you go into skill based matchmaking and win some games against top tier survivors as like clown while being a basic bih killer who just downs survivors, hooks them, and then walks away to another chase all the way across the map.

    I literally bet money you won’t win.

    Are we really going to compare Tournament Scrims to Pubs? Because those are two, very, very different and should not be considered the same in any way, especially in a conversation like this.

1 2 ›