We have had no modern iconic killers

Leatherface, Freddy, Michael, Ghostface, Pyramid head, Nemesis, and Pig, all killers that we have seen before the year 2000 (Nemesis almost being modern but is 1 year short, 1999) (And I don't count Demo given he's really not that iconic. For Stranger things? Yes, but not in a general sense like all the others, also he's in season 1 out of 4, can't really compare him)

There are so many slashers and creatures that have come out since 2000 that BHVR haven't even touched. My Bloody Valentine, The Mist, Dog Soldiers, Slither, A Quiet Place, Hollow Man, American Psycho, Purge, etc.

And don't forget the games like Dead Space, Fear, Amnesia, Siren, Fnaf, Evil Within, Outlast, etc.

Some of these might not be iconic to you, but they ARE iconic to others.

All these deserve some position in the "Horror Hall of Fame", and yet all we've seen is ancient history.

Comments

  • Sorry, but your polls are just heavily flawed, even ignoring the small sample size.

    There is no real "I don't want it" option barring the last one, which is so over-the-top, I'd wager most people would rather vote for the penultimate option (which is just "I don't like it, but am indifferent to it") instead. In other words, there's no real way to disagree except by being utterly ridiculous in your statement.

    It reminds me of those polls where you can either say you like/agree with someone/something, or you can say you're a traitor or whatever.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427649#Comment_2427649

    Sorry, but your polls are just heavily flawed, even ignoring the small sample size.

    There is no real "I don't want it" option barring the last one, which is so over-the-top, I'd wager most people would rather vote for the penultimate option (which is just "I don't like it, but am indifferent to it") instead. In other words, there's no real way to disagree except by being utterly ridiculous in your statement.

    It reminds me of those polls where you can either say you like/agree with someone/something, or you can say you're a traitor or whatever.

    Yeah that's something I'm gonna change

  • @Predated said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2426751#Comment_2426751

    To be fair, something can be iconic within a year or 2. Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees were pretty much iconic after their first appearance.

    Pretty sure if DBD was made back then, Myers and Voorhees would be top of the list quite quickly, even though other iconic killers like Frankensteins Monster and Count Dracula werent even added.

    I'd say The Nun is an iconic horror movie killer, purely because the way she originally appeared in the movies, it's really a shame they spend 95% of the movie just going for jumpscares.

    Amnesia and FNaF would also fit those "instant classics" definition of iconic. They were fairly original concepts that massively broadened what we would define as a horror. Just like Myers, Jason, Freddy, Amanda, Ghostface, Nemesis and PH expanded on what was possible. I'd say influence is by far the one and only factor that makes something iconic. Age just gives it more time to amass a greater influence.

    Have you noticed how the vast majority of these so-called "instant classics" are quickly forgotten? They have their 15 minutes of fame and then die off. Sure, even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you can't call something a classic until enough time has passed. That's the real mark of a classic: that it survives the test of time.

  • Done that long ago. Still find your viewpoint bunkum. You're blaming a fictional character for an irl tragedy. You bring up his lore, yet no where does it say that you must stab your real life friend in the name of Slenderman. What's next? Someone kidnapping kids in the name of Krampus and an attempt from you to cancel the entire folktale? Lol

  • @HaunterofShadows said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427791#Comment_2427791

    Honestly no idea how she survived. ######### miracle. Personally I think this really does hurts the idea of a slender chapter

    Yeah 100%, bhvr would never put a chapter that promotes people doing.....that stuff.

    Amazing miracle that she survived and thankfully she did.

    And something I realized a long time ago, the dbd community is crazy, some horny towards serial killers aka Myers but NO ONE would commit something as crazy as that.

  • @MrPenguin said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427634#Comment_2427634

    Well I don't think any of the killers added were "popular anymore" as the game is usually the first time I hear about them and they are all pretty old. The most popular one is probably Freddy afaik. Although that can depend on what exactly you mean by "popular".

    "don't really hold a candle to them as well." That's all subjective to be fair. To me for example, Myers is just "guy with knife" whose hard to kill or something. Same with Jason. Leatherface is just "Ugly guy with Chainsaw". Personally near my bottom of interesting characters. Although that's probably partially because I didn't experience these as they came out.

    Every horror character had their "5 minuets of fame". I've never even heard of Hell Raiser before this chapter. Same with Halloween and Bubbas movie.

    Its cool to have these relics of horror as they were important for the genres history, but some more recent editions would be nice for those of us who the old ones don't really have an impact with since we don't really know who they are or experienced it the same way as those who grew up with it did.

    There's no reason to keep it exclusively killers from way back when imo. Some more things from the current/recent generation of horror would be nice. At the least things that are at least somewhat still generally known, like the Xenomorph from Alien as that franchise still gets new content and Alien Isolation made a big splash when it landed.

    For example, I'm not against Hell Raiser, but when was the last time it got content? 19 years ago. The original movie is 34 years old. Something more recently relevant would be nice is all.

    Majority of the killers in this game that are licensed are still EXTREMELY popular not just with horror fans but audiences in general. If the first time you've heard of any of the icons is through DbD then that's more on your part for being unaware than the general population being aware of them. Michael Myers just had a movie drop three years ago to huge success along with a sequel coming this year and then a finale to the trilogy next year. Nemesis just starred in a remake to RE3 what, last year I think? Leatherface is still featured regularly in movies as well. Pinhead is getting both a remake and a HBO series and there was just another hellraiser movie less than five years ago. All these characters, just like the Alien are still getting shine and Alien is old as well. The only exception being Jason and Freddy as they're still caught up in lawsuits.

    You could use that stripped to the basics argument with generally anything. Leatherface is a guy with a Chainsaw, Slenderman is just a viral faceless guy in a suit, FNaF is just chucky cheese animatronics that come to life. Behavior is aware that the 80s-90s icons would more than likely bring in more fans and money than anything of recent memory.

  • Surprised I haven't seen anyone say outlast

  • Demogorgon. Pyramid head. Nemesis. We have plenty.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427518#Comment_2427518

    Have you noticed how the vast majority of these so-called "instant classics" are quickly forgotten? They have their 15 minutes of fame and then die off. Sure, even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you can't call something a classic until enough time has passed. That's the real mark of a classic: that it survives the test of time.

    Oh yeah, the longer they exist, the more iconic they might be. But that is more in grades of being iconic. There are plenty of historical moments that were iconic that died out. Heck, if it wasnt for the horror reboots, it was going to be quite likely that Freddy would no longer be an iconic killer. Which would mean that Myers and Jason are more iconic than Freddy was.

  • @Squirrel_Thicc said:

    Demogorgon doesn't exist apparently.

    *things that didn't age well*



    As for Modern Killers, we really have zero iconic or truly memorable ones off the top my head.

  • @Nikkiwhat said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427139#Comment_2427139

    *things that didn't age well*

    As for Modern Killers, we really have zero iconic or truly memorable ones off the top my head.

    Horror took on several different forms since the days of the iconic horror characters of yesteryear. In the 90s, horror was about one-shot films and meta / comedy stuff like Scream. For most of the 2000s horror was of the "torture porn" variety. The emphasis was on watching people get killed in creative ways, not about inventing new horror mascots. The closest I think anyone came was Rob Zombie when he came up with Captain Spaulding, Otis, and Baby. And they were essentially in a mere two films (to hell with the unnecessary third film).

    In the 2010s horror began seeing a renaissance with better scripts and more intriguing concepts. Don't Breathe, It Follows, A Quiet Place, Hereditary, the Babadook, The Witch, etc. It was horror for adults. Even stuff for the more jumpsacre crowd, such as The Conjuring, was a throwback to the old days of haunted house / poltergeist / exorcism films.

    My point is that there aren't really a lot of modern horror characters for this game because horror hasn't really had the same trajectory that it did in the 80s and 90s when recognizable slasher mascots were the standard.

  • Not anymore we haven't.


    LOL!


    Eh... :(

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Not anymore we haven't.

    LOL!

    Eh... :(

    Yeah the most modern killer is now leaving the store

  • Very sad. DBD is basically pre-historic.

  • @Mr_Madness said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427540#Comment_2427540

    Well I am just gonna say this.

    They said they talk to lord Voldemort and the teenage mutant ninja turtles. So pretty sure they would have done it with a different fictional character that all I am gonna say.

    Also with Jeepers Creepers is different. Director that helped make the movie did bad stuff. No one in creation or real life connection of Slenderman did anything bad just some random girls.

    [edit] PS I am still hating how people give Slenderman the bad rap. Did nothing wrong and was used to make scary stories and video games.

    I'm not 100% sure but if I recall the people who own licenseing for Slenderman are pretty fickle about it. I could be wrong

  • @Voriis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427563#Comment_2427563

    I'm not 100% sure but if I recall the people who own licenseing for Slenderman are pretty fickle about it. I could be wrong

    My personal feelings about Slenderman are that he wouldn't work. He's all about hanging around and messing with children, and he's also incredibly tall. This is my own personal take but I also find popular creepypastas annoying, they're just amateur (and often, though not always, very poor) little horror stories that are basically written these days to become the next big internet meme. I guess you could say that I look at the creepypasta community the same way many look at the FNAF community: It seems too obnoxious to be included in the game. Too unearned.

    Again though, that's just my own personal opinion. Though one last thing: I DO think that it would be really weird to give attention and financial compensation to the creator of a charter who - though not at all his fault - led to the real life attempted murder of a young girl. His inclusion would almost seem like a celebration of the character despite that famous aspect of his history which just seems skeevy to me.

  • @Predated said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427826#Comment_2427826

    Oh yeah, the longer they exist, the more iconic they might be. But that is more in grades of being iconic. There are plenty of historical moments that were iconic that died out. Heck, if it wasnt for the horror reboots, it was going to be quite likely that Freddy would no longer be an iconic killer. Which would mean that Myers and Jason are more iconic than Freddy was.

    Time is the true test of what it means to be iconic. If it lasts for all of 15 minutes and is then forgotten (seriously, I can't even remember any of the so-called "instant classics" to list as examples; that's how forgettable they are), it's just an advertisement tactic.

  • @miketheratguy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2435293#Comment_2435293

    My personal feelings about Slenderman are that he wouldn't work. He's all about hanging around and messing with children, and he's also incredibly tall. This is my own personal take but I also find popular creepypastas annoying, they're just amateur (and often, though not always, very poor) little horror stories that are basically written these days to become the next big internet meme. I guess you could say that I look at the creepypasta community the same way many look at the FNAF community: It seems too obnoxious to be included in the game. Too unearned.

    Again though, that's just my own personal opinion. Though one last thing: I DO think that it would be really weird to give attention and financial compensation to the creator of a charter who - though not at all his fault - led to the real life attempted murder of a young girl. His inclusion would almost seem like a celebration of the character despite that famous aspect of his history which just seems skeevy to me.

    Oh I wasnt rallying for his inclusion. I have no feelings towards slenderman and am very lukewarm on its existence. I was just bringing up the license holder thing to converse haha.

  • People here really like overuse term "iconic".

    Myers, Freddy, Jason, Predator, Alien, Terminator are iconic characters, movies, franchises meanwhile

    Candyman, Slenderman, Pennywise, Chucky aren't. They are pretty much b-tier (low a-tier in some cases) stuff.

    I hope BHVR has higher standards than people here and won't put in dbd all horror junk from the past just because it's old and "iconic"

  • Genuinely, this was one of the most heartbreaking things when it came to losing Stranger Things recently.

    Nemesis, PH, and Pig aren't modern horror reps. People who were toddlers when Saw came out GRADUATED.

    The characters already in DBD are iconic but NONE of the people from 2000-2004 saw the conception of them. They didn't grow up in the early 2000s, they grew up in the 2010s. Saw is a movie for people from the late 80s-90s, they were the people going into the movie theatre.

    There are an entire 4 years of people born in the 2000s that fit in DBD's age rating of 17+. The people who are probably most likely to be joining this game are the people that have no reps anymore.

    Once Stranger Things is fully gone that's it. Why would any of them play the game? They might recognize Ghost Face or Freddy- but they're not seeing the character they're seeing the Halloween costume they remember from when they were at a costume shop in 2009.

    So far, I think every character deserves their spot, I'm happy to see Pinhead come into the game. People obviously deserve to have their favorites come in. But I think people born after 2000 also deserve to have at least a second rep that they saw come out while growing up.

    By the time ANY franchise that people born in the 2000s grew up with would be "iconic" enough to be added- DBD's going to be long gone.


    The fact that the only 2010s rep is getting removed from the game is pretty tragic, and I hope- maybe within two or so years we see another modern horror franchise come into Dead By Daylight to fill the void that's being left by Stranger Things.


  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2435158#Comment_2435158

    Time is the true test of what it means to be iconic. If it lasts for all of 15 minutes and is then forgotten (seriously, I can't even remember any of the so-called "instant classics" to list as examples; that's how forgettable they are), it's just an advertisement tactic.

    I mean, before their announcements/people theorizing about new killers, I didnt really know about Bubba, nor about PH or Nemesis. They were only really classics if you or someone you knew played that game. Pinhead I did hear about, but not really iconic either. Myers, Jason, Freddy and Ghostface would be examples of truly iconic, as you would knew them even if you've never seen the movies.

    I do remember someone name dropping Pyramid Head once, that's it. Yet a lot of people, most of who played Silent Hill, would call me crazy to even call Pyramid Head "forgettable".

1 2 3 ›