Why do bhvr not offer refunds when they change a cosmetic?

I was looking through my ace outfits and noticed the gelled hairdo piece looks much worse than before (IMO) why don't bhvr offer a refund for those who are unhappy with the changes?



Edit: I mean return auric cells, obviously not a cash refund

Comments

  • Ferengi rule's of acquisition number 1

    Once you have their money, you never give it back.

  • @ThePolice said:

    I was looking through my ace outfits and noticed the gelled hairdo piece looks much worse than before (IMO) why don't bhvr offer a refund for those who are unhappy with the changes?

    Because you've used it. Why should it have been free for you up to this point?

  • Because they do not offer refunds for cosmetics. It's stated in the EULA, simple as that.

  • The user agreement states that the devs will have control over pretty much everything, with most things being subject to change. Don't like it? Don't agree to it. Although you would no longer be able to play the game.

  • @EvilJoshy said:

    Ferengi rule's of acquisition number 1

    Once you have their money, you never give it back.

    outstanding post

  • Because you agreed to the Terms and conditions when you launched the game

  • @ThePolice said:

    I was looking through my ace outfits and noticed the gelled hairdo piece looks much worse than before (IMO) why don't bhvr offer a refund for those who are unhappy with the changes?

    Dear Devs,

    I bought a skin for my pre rework doctor and now I don't like him, not his visual update not his gameplay update, give me back my money because I can't accept this game is prone to have things change having them as gameplay or visual updates. Honestly give me back my money it's that easy?

    Thanks very much my dear Davs.

    PD: My money give bcak.

  • Some game offer a refund yeah they will take the cosmetic back but its still a refund and you can take so.ething else in the shop. The only reason they do that is because they want more money from you my question is why would you give them any money the game is in a chatic mess for almost a year now

  • Unfortunately, because it's a live service game, in their EULA it basically says they can change whatever they want whenever they want and the customer has no recourse.

    Cosmetics exist to look a certain way. That is their only function. Changing the way they look post-purchase is a pretty uncool thing to do, but the whole point of the EULA is to protect BHVR in this situation where they ruin their product that the customer paid for.

    BHVR should put a big notice on their cosmetics that they're essentially limited-time items and will in the future be changed on a whim. I'm curious how that would affect sales. I've played games before where they sold outfits that only lasted a limited time before being removed from inventory; changing them completely isn't much different, for an unhappy customer the outfit might as well be removed from inventory, and I've always refused to pay money for such things.

  • @1miko said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/270645/why-do-bhvr-not-offer-refunds-when-they-change-a-cosmetic

    Dear Devs,

    I bought a skin for my pre rework doctor and now I don't like him, not his visual update not his gameplay update, give me back my money because I can't accept this game is prone to have things change having them as gameplay or visual updates. Honestly give me back my money it's that easy?

    Thanks very much my dear Davs.

    PD: My money give bcak.

    So, you played with a skin for who know how many hours, and now u want a refund?

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    It's the difference between wanting a refund for improperly cooked food at a restaurant, and bringing in your subsequent ######### to be refunded at a restaurant as you weren't happy you had a bowel movement.

    "I want to refund my DBD purchase because I'm unhappy about patch [x], and subsequently all purchases given I'm unhappy because I would no longer have access to the game while still following accepted policies".

    vs.

    "You literally changed the Jill pricing/outfit within a day of it being sold, and that screwed over my purchase"

    I'm pretty sure that you can ask Customer Support for refunds on most things if you literally only bought them a few days prior, but after that transaction settles, you've made a decision and have already used it for a significant duration.

    No its like if you ordered food at a resturaunt and they changed your order halfway through your meal

  • Paying for pixels I see, not even an NFT.

  • Because you never spent money/auric cells/shards/whatever on a cosmetic, chapter or its contents like killer/survivors/perks in its release state, you spent it on a license to have access to the related content in whatever state they're in.

    And that's without getting into how someone could've used a cosmetic (or killer, survivor, perk, whatever) for potentially thousands of hours before a change/rework/nerf makes them no longer enjoy the content. It's one thing to offer refunds after you've basically just tried it out and decided you didn't like it (which is at least the idea behind Steam's refund policy), it can quickly become something very different when talking about live games/"games as a service" model games.

  • @IlliterateGenocide said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2403656#Comment_2403656

    So, you played with a skin for who know how many hours, and now u want a refund?

    That's sophism for you.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2403757#Comment_2403757

    Oh, Auric Cell refunds? I can see that as being a policy they could implement. Probably would need restrictions on the amount of times you could use it, and on what, to avoid people literally just shuffling around a pool of money to access everything with only a minor time investment.

    Like, usuable once and you have one week to change your mind on what you got.

    We really need to have the possibility to mix and match cosmetics in the store to see what to buy if we want separate pieces.

  • @EvilJoshy said:

    Ferengi rule's of acquisition number 1

    Once you have their money, you never give it back.

    Underrated comment

  • Basically you don't own the cosmetic you bought you merely unlocked it as a skin on your account.

    The content belongs to BHVR to change as they see fit when they see fit. This is part of the user agreement.

    You've paid for the use you've had so far and the continued access to use it.

    Its usually a good idea to understand what you are spending money on before doing so as I'm pretty sure BHVR are under no obligation to refund you in this circumstance.

    I am not a legal expert nor do I claim to offer advice, but much of what I've just said seems pretty obvious to even a drunkard like me just from the user agreement.

    Take anything I say with a grain of salt along with anything anyone else says here because I'm sure 90% of it is BS if its just on the forums, read the agreement for yourself I guess.

    Its a learning experience for anyone spending real world money on intangible digital content.

    I guess if enough people piss and moan then maybe BHVR will have some kind of PR campaign and offer a token piece of digital crap to the whiners but that's entirely up to them. Its more likely they'll further tweak things if they feel its needed.

    I think the new changes are fine.

  • Copy and paste from the ULA, I'd say start here, last paragraph has your answer and at the risk of spoiling the ending the answer is NO.


    "The Game may, from time to time, feature virtual goods. Virtual goods include but are not limited to virtual items (characters, accessories, items such as “character customization”, power-ups), points, credits, tokens and currency (collectively, “Virtual Goods”) for use in the Game.


    You may “earn” Virtual Goods within the Game or we may allow you to “purchase” Virtual Goods with “real money” or virtual currencies. Certain Virtual Goods in the Game may be unavailable if not purchased.


    Virtual Goods (such as virtual currency) purchased on other platforms such as Steam, PlayStation, or Xbox will be subject to those platforms’ terms and conditions. Please review those platforms’ terms and conditions for further information before completing your purchase. BHVR does not control how you can pay or how refunds may be issued on those platforms. When you make a payment through a third-party platform, you are agreeing to the third party’s payment terms, and BHVR is not a party to the transaction.


    Virtual Goods are licensed to you, not sold. You do not own the Virtual Goods, and you acknowledge and agree that all Virtual Goods represent a limited, personal, nonexclusive, non-transferable, non-assignable and fully revocable license to use the Virtual Goods, for your individual, non-commercial, entertainment purposes only. You have no right, title, interest, or ownership in or to any Virtual Goods. We may terminate your license at any time and at our sole discretion."