What's the reasoning behind Blight player's unnecessary unoriginality with their builds?

Something I've noticed particularly since Blight's changes, particularly where he became more compatible with console, is basically the same three perks, same playstyle, and so on. Always ruin undying tinkerer, fourth perk is bbq or another slowdown. As of late, I've noticed really sweaty add ons like alchemist ring or something like that accompanied with it, and sometimes even map offerings to tilt in their favour. Basically, a full-on sweat built, and there is almost no variation. They tend to show poor ability to get hits with their rushes, never use their power at loops but just for transportation, and play the rest of the game like an M1 killer unless it's a really open space that can guarantee a hit with a rush. And basically a hit-and-run playstyle where they play ping pong between Tinkerer procs until they gradually get downs over time.

What I don't understand is why it's always this one build and there is no variation. I never see Corrupt Pop or anything else. For a strong killer like Blight, Undying and Ruin is unnecessary for a majority of games in order to win and using these perks is basically the game is playing itself. For killers like Twins for example, ruin undying makes sense; the only way to really win with them is to slug heavy which means little to no Pop usages. Pyramid Head's power makes Pop not the best choice to use either as it makes you conflicted on whether or not to use your power. But for Blight, there's really no reason as there are no compatibility issues, and particularly no reason why everyone is running the same build. I've never seen so many people play a particular killer and be this unoriginal with builds with them before. In red ranks when I see Spirits, Nurses, Freddy's even and so on, I never see this high saturation of sweat-lord builds like I have with Blight builds and there's always some sort of variation

I'm speaking from my perspective as this is my opinion obviously, but there comes a certain point where using certain slowdowns on killers just becomes cringey to me. Like using that same build on Freddy is so painfully boring since the game just plays itself and there's nothing fun about it in any regard. If I have such

Also note:

1) Before anyone comes in with the usual "people can run what they want if you don't like it you shouldn't be playing the game" -- people can run what they want, but likewise people can comment on what they want. They can enjoy a game overall and simply not like aspects of it, and they are also allowed to critique another player's decision.

2) Also I don't care if this topic has been discussed either

Comments

  • @Decarcassor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381243#Comment_2381243

    My personal impression on Blight has always been that he isn't as strong as many players seem to rate him, but he just so good at taking advantage of Undying Ruin that he has no problem dominating most random survivor teams at any rank. His chase is nowhere as near as reliable as Nurse's or Spirit's, but he outclass them both in map mobility.

    Playing Blight without the safety of Undying Ruin require a lot of effort and aggravate all the little frustrating things about Blight randomly sliding on some object and missing Lethal Rush by a hair.

    As for Tinkerer its not needed at all, but it work so well on Blight, why would you not use it ?

    My guess for the reason you don't see much perks variation with Blight, is simply because Blight Players have tried other perks and concluded that they didn't like them as much. Why would you not use the perks that seem to work best for your killer and make your game much easier and less stressfull ? And its not like there are tons of perks that have natural synergy with Bligh'ts power out there.

    To me it show that Blight is a flawed design. He is the Ruin King, but beyond that he really does not have that much going for him.

    I do agree that playing without ruin/undying/tinkerer requires actual effort and skill, and something as I was saying before is that all of these ruin undying tinkerer blights I've gone against actually aren't good with Blight and you can easily tell they rely on the game being stalled out long enough for them to get a winning edge. In games where their slowdowns get cleansed somewhat early, they tend to all fall into the pattern of "insecure camping", which is camping every subsequent hook after their slowdowns are cleansed because they're too insecure about their chase ability henceforth. It could also be that because Blight was recently made compatible with console and more people are playing him now, people are still largely inexperienced and so they rely on strong perks to carry them. That's the best reasoning I have

    I've gone against actually good Blights (shockingly, they don't use any of those three perks) and they're able to wreck a team without any slowdown perks.

    The point isn't to question the strength of Tinkerer Ruin undying. It's obvious why it's used. The question is more so collectively not only why is it used but used to such a degree where it's almost cult-like. You can use that same reasoning for every other killer on it being the best, tried and tested perks but yet you won't see such monolithic choices on other killers really. And if you do it tends to be for a reason. For example Pyramid Head and Twins have actual compatibility issues with a lot of perks in regards to their power and/or playstyle. Blight does not have that issue for the most part. He has plenty of alternatives to ruin and undying, even tinkerer. Twins cannot effectively use Pop unless you want to throw the game, and Pop compromises Pyramid Head's power.

  • @MarcoPoloYolo said:

    Same reason why the majority of survivors will run an exhaustion perk on all of their builds, and will often see Iron will there as well. The typical variance in a survivor build at high ranks will typically just be "which of the 4 flavors of free chase extension am I selecting" and you'll typical see borrowed, Iron Will, or both with a max of 1-2 unique perks (such as a flavor of second chance perks or prove thyself). Other than that, you'll find locker weirdos.

    The reason is simple. If you know a typical solid build for a character, why use anything but that when you know that, if the other side is also bringing their A-game, it's not overkill, and you'll be punished for build variety once you do? It's the dev's problem for not making enough good perks for killer that work on all killers. I still don't get why Blight can't have his lethal lunge not count as a lunge for M1 perks when Nurse and Spirit have stronger anti-loop and apparently it's A-ok for them.

    The devs' choices about what alternate attack should count as basic or not aren't always very consistent. I'll agree with that.

    In Blight's case, it's actually pretty straightforward, though. He can break pallets with a rush attack. There's no chance ever his power would be made to count as a basic attack, unless they also took away the ability to break pallets with it.

  • @Bwsted said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2380506#Comment_2380506

    The devs' choices about what alternate attack should count as basic or not aren't always very consistent. I'll agree with that.

    In Blight's case, it's actually pretty straightforward, though. He can break pallets with a rush attack. There's no chance ever his power would be made to count as a basic attack, unless they also took away the ability to break pallets with it.

    Yeah, but it's still treated as an M1 Lunge. That inconsistency makes it hard to have synergy with perks like Surge (which I think would be REALLY good on him given his mobility but it's trash because you can't get usage out of it)

  • Why? Because it's effective and people want to win. Geez, why does this community have such an issue with people wanting to win.

    It's not "sweaty" or "try hard". This is not "Care Bear Simulator 3000". People are allowed to want to win.

  • @DelsKibara said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381499#Comment_2381499

    Yeah, but it's still treated as an M1 Lunge. That inconsistency makes it hard to have synergy with perks like Surge (which I think would be REALLY good on him given his mobility but it's trash because you can't get usage out of it)

    Sorry, I'm kinda lost. What do you mean with it's treated as an m1?

    It's definitely treated as a special attack, not a basic one.

    Also, it's undoubtedly not a basic attack, because unlike any real m1:

    • It breaks walls and pallets.
    • It can only connect with survivors, not the environment. The only exception are listed in the point above. And the pallet must be dropped, otherwise it doesn't collide.
    • The attack cone is incredibly wide, even wider than an m1 tap.
  • @Northener1907 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2380370#Comment_2380370

    No we are not. We are just using good perks on our killer.

    So are every other killer and survivor, but they still have much more variety. Besides, I thought you were a Freddy main?

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381254#Comment_2381254

    So are every other killer and survivor, but they still have much more variety. Besides, I thought you were a Freddy main?

    There is so much killers, i am not only Freddy main. Nemesis, Blight my other mains. Also i love play as Myers, GF, Trapper sometimes.

    But maybe you will surprise but i don't like hex perks so much. Because they are spawning so bad. I love Pop more than Ruin on Blight. But Tinkerer is my main perk for him, other 3 perks changing except Tinkerer. Because Tinkerer is really working so good on Blight.

  • @kyogul said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381310#Comment_2381310

    My apologies for the unnecessary aggression then.

    I like to change my builds here and there, but I think they're not necessarily unoriginal. My go-to survivor build was/is Spine Chill, Windows, Kindred, and Bond or Alert. My "try hard build" is something like Spine Chill, Resilience, Vigil, and Sprint Burst, and a somewhat more tame to me is Aftercare, Lithe, WGLF, and WMI/BT. Similar sort of variety on my killers. Even if I used mostly the same build, I really never see anyone else use it either

    Like I get Tinkerer/ruin/undying is a strong build and I don't want to shame anyone for using it for whatever reason regardless how many others use it or ask why it's used in the first place, but I just find it extremely odd how there's such a high saturation of all three of those perks being used by Blight players to the extent where it's almost entirely what I see from every Blight I go against, not like other killers where a perk or so is common but there is other variation in the builds.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381328#Comment_2381328

    You need to re-read the topic as you misunderstood the prompt of the topic entirely

    I didn't misunderstand anything, it's just others have already sufficiently answered you.

    I only responded to point out how easy it is to remove half of his perks since you find them "cringey and overkill", therefore allowing you to have the easy and less sweaty match that you so desire.

  • @Northener1907 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381651#Comment_2381651

    There is so much killers, i am not only Freddy main. Nemesis, Blight my other mains. Also i love play as Myers, GF, Trapper sometimes.

    But maybe you will surprise but i don't like hex perks so much. Because they are spawning so bad. I love Pop more than Ruin on Blight. But Tinkerer is my main perk for him, other 3 perks changing except Tinkerer. Because Tinkerer is really working so good on Blight.

    Hopefully it’s working so good that it’ll be seeing a nerf soon ;)

    I love some Myers, let’s go against each other sometime

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381659#Comment_2381659

    Hopefully it’s working so good that it’ll be seeing a nerf soon ;)

    I love some Myers, let’s go against each other sometime

    I am sure you will not like my Myers build too :) But if i see in your fog when i play with one of the my killers, i will give you hatch.

  • @Northener1907 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381713#Comment_2381713

    I am sure you will not like my Myers build too :) But if i see in your fog when i play with one of the my killers, i will give you hatch.

    Nah Myers can use whatever they want other than tombstone, they need help

    I’m a rare P3 Yun-Jin

  • A couple things:

    There's a very prominent streamer who put out a video or two qbout Ruin/Undying/Tinkerer and they play a lot of Blight in the way you described. Kind of a meme in the Blight community, but others might think that's the best way to play him.

    As for perks, there aren't many perks that synergize with Blight. He doesn't need chase perks at all. Especially perks like Brutal or End/Fury when he can break pallets with his rush. Information is just that: information. Game sense makes up for 90% of what those perks give you. And 75% of perks in this game are borderline useless anyway. Doesn't leave you with much outside of slowdown.

  • Tinkerer is very suited to Blight you can't get away from that. And when that perk is in play the rest comes pretty natural. I mean why do survivors bring their best perks? It's stupid to question it.

  • @kyogul said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2380506#Comment_2380506

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2380573#Comment_2380573

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2380690#Comment_2380690

    I really wish people would read more clearly what I'm asking. aaa

    The question is not to shame any player for using meta perks, it's also not discrediting survivors who also use meta perks as I've said the same thing and questioned it elsewhere. However killers are different and survivors are almost entirely just skins, meaning different perks are ran for each killer, and while there are some staple perks that make a specific killer more efficient, I have never seen it be to such an extent where I see a monolithic choice of build like Blight players do, which is make 75% of their build the same instead of just one or two perks.

    For Nurse, she has pretty much the same compatibility with perks as Blight, but yet most Nurses I see aren't running ruin undying tinkerer; in fact, it's been an extremely long time since I've seen a nurse in red ranks even use ruin undying, let alone tinkerer. They run a variety of builds; starstruck, agitation / ruin or pop/ infectious, something else/ nurse's calling, sloppy / corrupt, lethal pursuer, the list goes on. I'm not seeing 3 identical perks on 95% of the Nurse's I go against; it's extremely varied, and it has nothing to do with his rush attack not counting as an M1.

    Spirit's use Stridor a lot (for now), but still a variety of builds; corrupt/pop/ruin/STBFL/lethal pursuer/Devour/Surge. Hell, I've even see Monitor and abuse used on Spirit here and there. Overall, other than Stridor, there is no prevailing build I see on Spirits and it varies. 95% do not use the same 3 out of 4 perks.

    Even for killers where their power attack doesn't count as an M1 attack like Plague/Legion/Pyramid Head/Demo, I still see more significant variety than I do with Blights as of late. The only killer I see the same lack of variety is Twins and they have more compatibility issues than Blight. Blight can very much run Corrupt/Pop/Infectious/Monitor/Discordance/Enduring and so on and have a really good build.

    So tell me why is it that every other killer (minus Twins, who I already explained has actual compatibility issues with other perks in regards to their power and playstyle, unlike Blight) has a variety of builds and they don't bring the best of the best but I only see Blight players do that? That's the question and it's that simple.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2380662#Comment_2380662

    STBFL and Brutal may not be useful, but Enduring still has its purposes; you still get stunned by pallets. Even then, there are other chase-aggressive perks to use like infectious, monitor and abuse, lethal pursuer, mindbreaker etc. There are also a variety of slowdown and gen regression perks such as Corrupt and Pop. There are also a variety of tracking perks like Discordance, Thrilling Tremors, so on.

    I'm not sure if I can judge Nemesis at the moment; he's still a new killer and people are still getting perks on him, so I still see a variety on him at the moment.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2380669#Comment_2380669

    As explained above, other than Twins who legitimately pretty much can not really use any other perks without playing in a detrimentally inefficient way or it's flat out not compatible, Blight has a variety of perks that are very good on him but yet I not only see meta perks, but it's always the same 3 out of 4 perks, and I have never seen any other killer have such a high saturation of monolithic builds to the point where they basically use the same identical build and it's a rare sight to not see those 3 perks. I'm not talking about one perk that's used a lot, or two. I mean a majority of the build.

    I've also asked the same question about survivors elsewhere, but survivors are just skins anyway. But why is it that Blight players seem to be the only meta slaves but really no one else besides Twins are? I never see as high a saturation of monolithic builds on other killers as I do Blight, and Twins players actually have an excuse. Blight has no excuse; he has a wide range of perks that can still be really good builds.

    Nurse has some better compatibility than Blight due to having M1s for attacks. For instance, devour hope or haunted ground. Surge is an option if the Nurse doesn't want to kick gens. You get the idea. I'd also like to bring up that Nurse actually only has good map pressure if she's using add-ons. Otherwise, she's traveling just barely faster than a 4.6 m/s killer. Pretty much the only perks really worth bringing other than gen perks, info perks, and slugging perks are M1 triggered perks such as exposed. Exposed is pretty much the only popular lethality based effect.

    Blights using Lethal pursuer will probably become more popular since Blight content creators use it as well. I can't speak for everyone that plays Blight, but I've also used infectious quite a bit. Now, for an actual answer to why I think Blight's gravitate towards the same build, it's as simple as it's a decent build that probably is most compatible for the typical Blight's playstyle. It's also the best build that uses Blight's only good teachable. Most killers know Ruin is borderline mandatory, so if they don't get ruin from the shrine, they'll begrudgingly level Hag for it. Adding in Pop as the backup regression perk instead of undying would require unlocking Clown and doing the same. In addition to this, many Blights might just prefer to not have to kick generators to get regression, and instead chase chase chase. It's kind of the appeal for a fast character. BBQ gives bloodpoints, and Blight can actually leverage long-distance information, so it's a natural fit. Tinkerer is good on Blight because it lets the Blight know where to leverage ruin while they have it. Now, a smart Blight won't be chasing every Tinkerer and will sacrifice less desirable gens for downs, but the typical Blight, much like the typical survivor, won't be optimal.

  • @Bwsted said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381530#Comment_2381530

    Sorry, I'm kinda lost. What do you mean with it's treated as an m1?

    It's definitely treated as a special attack, not a basic one.

    Also, it's undoubtedly not a basic attack, because unlike any real m1:

    • It breaks walls and pallets.
    • It can only connect with survivors, not the environment. The only exception are listed in the point above. And the pallet must be dropped, otherwise it doesn't collide.
    • The attack cone is incredibly wide, even wider than an m1 tap.

    I think they meant that maybe it should not be treated as an M2 attack (him hitting with his rush) because Spirit and Nurse can essentially do the same thing with their powers (hit while/after using it) and it's counted as an M1, but Blight's isn't.

    Personally I think they're moving away from that, but Spirit and Nurse simply haven't been reviewed yet so it's kind of relics of the past that their attack in their power still counts as an M1. I also remember they changed Legion's Frenzy to not count as an M1 too, and I can't remember any other killers at the moment.

    You could argue as well Wraith's shouldn't count as an M1 too (lunge post uncloak)

  • @Huge_Bush said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381377#Comment_2381377

    I didn't misunderstand anything, it's just others have already sufficiently answered you.

    I only responded to point out how easy it is to remove half of his perks since you find them "cringey and overkill", therefore allowing you to have the easy and less sweaty match that you so desire.

    A vast majority of this thread as been me having to clarify the prompt of the topic and while there have been good discussions henceforth from that, I'm not sure if I would say it's sufficiently answered. Not that everything has been inadequate, but it's not necessarily the most concrete explanation to the weird phenomena.

    The problem isn't easier matches. If you want something more annoying than that build, put on infectious with alchemist ring. Likwise, a ruin undying tinkerer nurse isn't that much more annoying than a slugging Starstruck agitation infectious nurse. Me calling it cringey and overkill isn't to imply that I want easier matches. As I was saying before pretty much all the Blights I encounter running those builds aren't even good with Blight but because it's solo queue, they're naturally going to win as they ping pong throughout the map and the game goes on long enough.

    Unless you're against a god squad, using ruin undying tinkerer is boring to use and boring to go against and unnecessary and overkill. I say this as someone who used it for a bit on Freddy. You aren't playing the game; the perks are playing the game for you.

    @[Deleted User] said:

    A couple things:

    There's a very prominent streamer who put out a video or two qbout Ruin/Undying/Tinkerer and they play a lot of Blight in the way you described. Kind of a meme in the Blight community, but others might think that's the best way to play him.

    As for perks, there aren't many perks that synergize with Blight. He doesn't need chase perks at all. Especially perks like Brutal or End/Fury when he can break pallets with his rush. Information is just that: information. Game sense makes up for 90% of what those perks give you. And 75% of perks in this game are borderline useless anyway. Doesn't leave you with much outside of slowdown.

    Hmm I know you aren't going to say the name, but I don't think I'm familiar with this streamer. I watch the content of a few Blight mains but they are pretty against using those perks.

    I understand there is some incompatibility with Blight as his rush attack doesn't count as an M1, but I don't think he is as bad as Twins to the point where the only slowdown he can use is Ruin and undying. He still has other perks like: Infectious, Lethal Pursuer, Corrupt, Pop, Monitor, Discordance, Mindbreaker, and so on that he can get tonnes of value from.

    Like I was saying before, in the case of killers who have serious compatibility issues with perks such as Twins where in order to play them efficiently it fends you off from using a lot of perks and pretty much only leaves Corrupt/Ruin/Undying for slowdown, or Pyramid Head where not using Ruin Undying and instead Pop or Surge makes you in conflict to use your power. Blight doesn't have any of those issues though.

    @MarcoPoloYolo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381243#Comment_2381243

    Nurse has some better compatibility than Blight due to having M1s for attacks. For instance, devour hope or haunted ground. Surge is an option if the Nurse doesn't want to kick gens. You get the idea. I'd also like to bring up that Nurse actually only has good map pressure if she's using add-ons. Otherwise, she's traveling just barely faster than a 4.6 m/s killer. Pretty much the only perks really worth bringing other than gen perks, info perks, and slugging perks are M1 triggered perks such as exposed. Exposed is pretty much the only popular lethality based effect.

    Blights using Lethal pursuer will probably become more popular since Blight content creators use it as well. I can't speak for everyone that plays Blight, but I've also used infectious quite a bit. Now, for an actual answer to why I think Blight's gravitate towards the same build, it's as simple as it's a decent build that probably is most compatible for the typical Blight's playstyle. It's also the best build that uses Blight's only good teachable. Most killers know Ruin is borderline mandatory, so if they don't get ruin from the shrine, they'll begrudgingly level Hag for it. Adding in Pop as the backup regression perk instead of undying would require unlocking Clown and doing the same. In addition to this, many Blights might just prefer to not have to kick generators to get regression, and instead chase chase chase. It's kind of the appeal for a fast character. BBQ gives bloodpoints, and Blight can actually leverage long-distance information, so it's a natural fit. Tinkerer is good on Blight because it lets the Blight know where to leverage ruin while they have it. Now, a smart Blight won't be chasing every Tinkerer and will sacrifice less desirable gens for downs, but the typical Blight, much like the typical survivor, won't be optimal.

    That's a fair answer. I also think perhaps it's due to people now just getting into Blight despite him being out for a very long time due to his recent changes in POV as well as compatibility with console.

    I have noticed a stark difference in skill between people who don't use that build and people who use tinkerer/ruin/undying though. The best blight I went against so far in recent memory was vampire_toothy who was using no slowdowns or add ons and wrecked a team I was playing with on Groaning Storehouse, a survivor sided map. Meanwhile the Tinkerer/Ruin/Undying blights I go against struggled to get fast downs even on killer sided maps like Midwich and resorted to camping hooks out of insecurity once their slowdowns got cleansed

  • Same reason survivors continuously run SB, DH, DS, UB, etc

  • @kyogul said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381691#Comment_2381691

    A vast majority of this thread as been me having to clarify the prompt of the topic and while there have been good discussions henceforth from that, I'm not sure if I would say it's sufficiently answered. Not that everything has been inadequate, but it's not necessarily the most concrete explanation to the weird phenomena.

    The problem isn't easier matches. If you want something more annoying than that build, put on infectious with alchemist ring. Likwise, a ruin undying tinkerer nurse isn't that much more annoying than a slugging Starstruck agitation infectious nurse. Me calling it cringey and overkill isn't to imply that I want easier matches. As I was saying before pretty much all the Blights I encounter running those builds aren't even good with Blight but because it's solo queue, they're naturally going to win as they ping pong throughout the map and the game goes on long enough.

    Unless you're against a god squad, using ruin undying tinkerer is boring to use and boring to go against and unnecessary and overkill. I say this as someone who used it for a bit on Freddy. You aren't playing the game; the perks are playing the game for you.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381848#Comment_2381848

    Hmm I know you aren't going to say the name, but I don't think I'm familiar with this streamer. I watch the content of a few Blight mains but they are pretty against using those perks.

    I understand there is some incompatibility with Blight as his rush attack doesn't count as an M1, but I don't think he is as bad as Twins to the point where the only slowdown he can use is Ruin and undying. He still has other perks like: Infectious, Lethal Pursuer, Corrupt, Pop, Monitor, Discordance, Mindbreaker, and so on that he can get tonnes of value from.

    Like I was saying before, in the case of killers who have serious compatibility issues with perks such as Twins where in order to play them efficiently it fends you off from using a lot of perks and pretty much only leaves Corrupt/Ruin/Undying for slowdown, or Pyramid Head where not using Ruin Undying and instead Pop or Surge makes you in conflict to use your power. Blight doesn't have any of those issues though.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2382168#Comment_2382168

    That's a fair answer. I also think perhaps it's due to people now just getting into Blight despite him being out for a very long time due to his recent changes in POV as well as compatibility with console.

    I have noticed a stark difference in skill between people who don't use that build and people who use tinkerer/ruin/undying though. The best blight I went against so far in recent memory was vampire_toothy who was using no slowdowns or add ons and wrecked a team I was playing with on Groaning Storehouse, a survivor sided map. Meanwhile the Tinkerer/Ruin/Undying blights I go against struggled to get fast downs even on killer sided maps like Midwich and resorted to camping hooks out of insecurity once their slowdowns got cleansed

    It isn't a weird phenomena- Players selecting the best perks to perform as optimal as possible with their chosen character is a very common thing when it comes to playing competitive pvp games. You calling it cringey and over kill is you trying to put players down for choosing this build and make them feel bad about it all so you can have an easier time against them.

    Say what you will, the truth is there is nothing cringey or overkill about selecting the best perks that would help you succeed. And no, it doesn't take a God Squad to go against this, just competent people who split on gens and know how to loop. Nor does it take a rocket scientist for someone to find two lit totems and cleanse them, I usually find one at the start of the match and a random teammate finds the other within a minute. If you think these perks are as powerful and over kill as you say you do, then it would behoove you to select an anti totem perk and start cleansing,t hen you can have your fun game where you can easily rush gens and move on to the next match.


    If you truly think selecting the best perks are boring, overkill and cringey, then I await your thread complaining about survivors always running Sprint Burst, Balanced Landing, Decisive Strike, Borrowed Time, Leader and Dead Hard, all perks I have consistently seen for the last two years.

  • @kyogul said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381691#Comment_2381691

    A vast majority of this thread as been me having to clarify the prompt of the topic and while there have been good discussions henceforth from that, I'm not sure if I would say it's sufficiently answered. Not that everything has been inadequate, but it's not necessarily the most concrete explanation to the weird phenomena.

    The problem isn't easier matches. If you want something more annoying than that build, put on infectious with alchemist ring. Likwise, a ruin undying tinkerer nurse isn't that much more annoying than a slugging Starstruck agitation infectious nurse. Me calling it cringey and overkill isn't to imply that I want easier matches. As I was saying before pretty much all the Blights I encounter running those builds aren't even good with Blight but because it's solo queue, they're naturally going to win as they ping pong throughout the map and the game goes on long enough.

    Unless you're against a god squad, using ruin undying tinkerer is boring to use and boring to go against and unnecessary and overkill. I say this as someone who used it for a bit on Freddy. You aren't playing the game; the perks are playing the game for you.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2381848#Comment_2381848

    Hmm I know you aren't going to say the name, but I don't think I'm familiar with this streamer. I watch the content of a few Blight mains but they are pretty against using those perks.

    I understand there is some incompatibility with Blight as his rush attack doesn't count as an M1, but I don't think he is as bad as Twins to the point where the only slowdown he can use is Ruin and undying. He still has other perks like: Infectious, Lethal Pursuer, Corrupt, Pop, Monitor, Discordance, Mindbreaker, and so on that he can get tonnes of value from.

    Like I was saying before, in the case of killers who have serious compatibility issues with perks such as Twins where in order to play them efficiently it fends you off from using a lot of perks and pretty much only leaves Corrupt/Ruin/Undying for slowdown, or Pyramid Head where not using Ruin Undying and instead Pop or Surge makes you in conflict to use your power. Blight doesn't have any of those issues though.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2382168#Comment_2382168

    That's a fair answer. I also think perhaps it's due to people now just getting into Blight despite him being out for a very long time due to his recent changes in POV as well as compatibility with console.

    I have noticed a stark difference in skill between people who don't use that build and people who use tinkerer/ruin/undying though. The best blight I went against so far in recent memory was vampire_toothy who was using no slowdowns or add ons and wrecked a team I was playing with on Groaning Storehouse, a survivor sided map. Meanwhile the Tinkerer/Ruin/Undying blights I go against struggled to get fast downs even on killer sided maps like Midwich and resorted to camping hooks out of insecurity once their slowdowns got cleansed

    Even in Blight's case where it's not a compatibility issue, perk balance in this game is really bad. The best Blight build right now is Corrupt/Ruin/Pop/Thanataphobia. If someone has less than stellar game sense, they can make up for it by swapping in Undying/Tinkerer. Every other permutation is simply worse than those two. Many players aren't good enough or confident enough to run weaker perks just because. The only incentive is personal choice.

  • @Huge_Bush said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2382252#Comment_2382252

    It isn't a weird phenomena- Players selecting the best perks to perform as optimal as possible with their chosen character is a very common thing when it comes to playing competitive pvp games. You calling it cringey and over kill is you trying to put players down for choosing this build and make them feel bad about it all so you can have an easier time against them.

    Say what you will, the truth is there is nothing cringey or overkill about selecting the best perks that would help you succeed. And no, it doesn't take a God Squad to go against this, just competent people who split on gens and know how to loop. Nor does it take a rocket scientist for someone to find two lit totems and cleanse them, I usually find one at the start of the match and a random teammate finds the other within a minute. If you think these perks are as powerful and over kill as you say you do, then it would behoove you to select an anti totem perk and start cleansing,t hen you can have your fun game where you can easily rush gens and move on to the next match.

    If you truly think selecting the best perks are boring, overkill and cringey, then I await your thread complaining about survivors always running Sprint Burst, Balanced Landing, Decisive Strike, Borrowed Time, Leader and Dead Hard, all perks I have consistently seen for the last two years.

    You are again missing the point. The prompt is not to question why are these perks chosen in the first place and what's so good about them; that's well understood. The question isn't also why it's a popular build; it's why there is no deviance from it from Blight players as if those are the only perks he can use, when that's not the case. There is a difference between something being popular and something being almost cultishly chosen where it seems like 19 out of 20 Blight players will be using the same perks and you will only come across 1 in 20 who has a different build. And by "same perks" I don't mean any combination of the three, I mean all three, meaning in that scenario those 19 blight's have almost identical builds.

    It makes sense for people to want to run the best of the best builds. However the reality is that at least from my experience and some others as well, it only seems to be Blights who do this to a cultish degree.

    Where are the Nurses who use Ruin Undying Tinkerer? I cannot recall the last time I've seen one. In fact I can't recall the last time I've seen one use pop, even. Their builds vary pretty greatly.

    Where are the Spirits who use Ruin undying? I see a variety of slowdowns and builds that exclude slowdowns.

    Where are the Freddy's who use Tinkerer Ruin undying? I legitimately cannot think of the last time I saw one. The builds vary

    It goes on and on.

    I'm not really sure why you're trying to give advice about my games on Blight as that's irrelevant. Like I said earlier pretty much all the Blights I go against who use that build aren't actually good and they rely on it to slow the game down enough so they can get downs as they normally don't get them fast enough. There's also a tendency for them to camp hooks after their slowdowns are cleansed, and considering the disorganised nature of solo queue, it's already a losing game on multiple fronts in this scenario. Totem perks aren't going to help. Kindred isn't going to help, and this is from someone who frequently uses both in solo queue. But that's besides the point.

    Also not sure why you're acting as if I haven't questioned survivors using the same perks either. I haven't made threads about it--and I don't need to for that matter--but I have made posts about it. Although interestingly I rarely see Balanced Landing or Leader

  • @kyogul said:

    Something I've noticed particularly since Blight's changes, particularly where he became more compatible with console, is basically the same three perks, same playstyle, and so on. Always ruin undying tinkerer, fourth perk is bbq or another slowdown. As of late, I've noticed really sweaty add ons like alchemist ring or something like that accompanied with it, and sometimes even map offerings to tilt in their favour. Basically, a full-on sweat built, and there is almost no variation. They tend to show poor ability to get hits with their rushes, never use their power at loops but just for transportation, and play the rest of the game like an M1 killer unless it's a really open space that can guarantee a hit with a rush. And basically a hit-and-run playstyle where they play ping pong between Tinkerer procs until they gradually get downs over time.

    What I don't understand is why it's always this one build and there is no variation. I never see Corrupt Pop or anything else. For a strong killer like Blight, Undying and Ruin is unnecessary for a majority of games in order to win and using these perks is basically the game is playing itself. For killers like Twins for example, ruin undying makes sense; the only way to really win with them is to slug heavy which means little to no Pop usages. Pyramid Head's power makes Pop not the best choice to use either as it makes you conflicted on whether or not to use your power. But for Blight, there's really no reason as there are no compatibility issues, and particularly no reason why everyone is running the same build. I've never seen so many people play a particular killer and be this unoriginal with builds with them before. In red ranks when I see Spirits, Nurses, Freddy's even and so on, I never see this high saturation of sweat-lord builds like I have with Blight builds and there's always some sort of variation

    I'm speaking from my perspective as this is my opinion obviously, but there comes a certain point where using certain slowdowns on killers just becomes cringey to me. Like using that same build on Freddy is so painfully boring since the game just plays itself and there's nothing fun about it in any regard. If I have such

    Also note:

    1) Before anyone comes in with the usual "people can run what they want if you don't like it you shouldn't be playing the game" -- people can run what they want, but likewise people can comment on what they want. They can enjoy a game overall and simply not like aspects of it, and they are also allowed to critique another player's decision.

    2) Also I don't care if this topic has been discussed either

    Meta Killers like Blight attract sweaty players who just want to win and 4K every time. So they always all use the same meta perks and add-ons over and over to consistently get as many wins as possible.

    Throughout DBD's history there's always a group of people playing the sweatiest meta builds, the killer they use changes as balance changes but they're basically the same people each time. Once upon a time they were all doing Billy, then they shifted to Legion, then to Nurse, then to Spirit, then to Freddy, then to Oni, then to Blight, then to Wraith, etc. (I don't have the chronology perfect but these killer metas did happen)

    Depends on who just got the latest big buff.

  • @danielmaster87 said:

    People still run hexes?

    Eh, I still run Devour Hope on Hag.

  • @Shirokinukatsukami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/268019/whats-the-reasoning-behind-blight-players-unnecessary-unoriginality-with-their-builds

    Meta Killers like Blight attract sweaty players who just want to win and 4K every time. So they always all use the same meta perks and add-ons over and over to consistently get as many wins as possible.

    Throughout DBD's history there's always a group of people playing the sweatiest meta builds, the killer they use changes as balance changes but they're basically the same people each time. Once upon a time they were all doing Billy, then they shifted to Legion, then to Nurse, then to Spirit, then to Freddy, then to Oni, then to Blight, then to Wraith, etc. (I don't have the chronology perfect but these killer metas did happen)

    Depends on who just got the latest big buff.

    When did Oni ever attract all these "sweaty" players exactly? I've never seen him being played a lot.

  • @kyogul said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2382321#Comment_2382321

    You are again missing the point. The prompt is not to question why are these perks chosen in the first place and what's so good about them; that's well understood. The question isn't also why it's a popular build; it's why there is no deviance from it from Blight players as if those are the only perks he can use, when that's not the case. There is a difference between something being popular and something being almost cultishly chosen where it seems like 19 out of 20 Blight players will be using the same perks and you will only come across 1 in 20 who has a different build. And by "same perks" I don't mean any combination of the three, I mean all three, meaning in that scenario those 19 blight's have almost identical builds.

    It makes sense for people to want to run the best of the best builds. However the reality is that at least from my experience and some others as well, it only seems to be Blights who do this to a cultish degree.

    Where are the Nurses who use Ruin Undying Tinkerer? I cannot recall the last time I've seen one. In fact I can't recall the last time I've seen one use pop, even. Their builds vary pretty greatly.

    Where are the Spirits who use Ruin undying? I see a variety of slowdowns and builds that exclude slowdowns.

    Where are the Freddy's who use Tinkerer Ruin undying? I legitimately cannot think of the last time I saw one. The builds vary

    It goes on and on.

    I'm not really sure why you're trying to give advice about my games on Blight as that's irrelevant. Like I said earlier pretty much all the Blights I go against who use that build aren't actually good and they rely on it to slow the game down enough so they can get downs as they normally don't get them fast enough. There's also a tendency for them to camp hooks after their slowdowns are cleansed, and considering the disorganised nature of solo queue, it's already a losing game on multiple fronts in this scenario. Totem perks aren't going to help. Kindred isn't going to help, and this is from someone who frequently uses both in solo queue. But that's besides the point.

    Also not sure why you're acting as if I haven't questioned survivors using the same perks either. I haven't made threads about it--and I don't need to for that matter--but I have made posts about it. Although interestingly I rarely see Balanced Landing or Leader

    I am not missing the point, as I said, others have already answered you sufficiently. Heck, the second post in this thread breaks it down thoroughly.

    I gave advice because you complained about Blights selecting these specific posts and called them cringey and over kill and I gave you the best advice to make facing them less so.

    And yes, totem perks help, kindred helps, though they're not needed. I don't use either and I rarely have issue finding the totems. The only issue I have is getting paired with potatoes or tryhard teammates who rush in for flashlight saves or to moonwalk around the killer and refuse to do the gens. I don't complain about killers or their perks because I know that people play what is most attractive to them and will select what they think will help them the most.

    I only brought up survivors because if you were genuinely interested in why certain players choose the same builds over and over, I would think you'd see more of it with them than killers, especially since there are 4 times more of them. But it's obvious you're not genuine and that this tread is more of a rant than anything else.

  • @Huge_Bush said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2382542#Comment_2382542

    I am not missing the point, as I said, others have already answered you sufficiently. Heck, the second post in this thread breaks it down thoroughly.

    I gave advice because you complained about Blights selecting these specific posts and called them cringey and over kill and I gave you the best advice to make facing them less so.

    And yes, totem perks help, kindred helps, though they're not needed. I don't use either and I rarely have issue finding the totems. The only issue I have is getting paired with potatoes or tryhard teammates who rush in for flashlight saves or to moonwalk around the killer and refuse to do the gens. I don't complain about killers or their perks because I know that people play what is most attractive to them and will select what they think will help them the most.

    I only brought up survivors because if you were genuinely interested in why certain players choose the same builds over and over, I would think you'd see more of it with them than killers, especially since there are 4 times more of them. But it's obvious you're not genuine and that this tread is more of a rant than anything else.

    Yea that's how I know you're not understanding the actual question if you think the second post is answering the main prompt.

    The second post explains why those perks are good on Blight and why some others aren't, but it doesn't explain why it's only those perks together as if those are the only compatible ones. The question was never about why those perks are used on Blight; it's why it's only those perks used together, leading to people seeing pretty much identical builds on every single Blight. There is a difference between expecting certain perks on a killer and pretty much seeing the same identical build on killers to such a degree where you almost never see anyone using anything else but those 3 perks together.

    It makes sense people want to run the best of the best to win, that's expected. Survivors do it all the time. But the real question comes in at: why are only Blight players doing this to such an odd monolithic degree to the point where it's pretty much every Blight with no variation running 3 of the same 4 perks, when they don't actually have a need to? Twins are the only killer who actually have a reason to use the best of the best because nothing else really works on them. Blight has plenty of alternatives.

    This would not be a question if I saw a similar ratio of meta setups on other killers. Except I don't. There is almost always variation in builds. There are perks I expect on certain killers but it's never so monolithic like with Blights.

    People are allowed to use whatever perks they want and what I think of it doesn't change it. The question is however, if people want to win so much and use the best of the best, why is pretty much every other killer but Blight not using the best of the best?

    Totems are generally not an issue for me unless it's an indoor map and I can generally find the spawns as I have experience to do so, but that still doesn't really impact my thoughts on the build. Even in a SWF playing against that is boring, and it's not so much the perks themselves but how they play in general. Time and time again, after the totems get cleansed, they just camp out of insecurity. They make the games boring and there's nothing I can do as a player. It has nothing to do with the games being difficult either. I've faced much more difficult Blights who used no slowdowns and add ons and I didn't complain.

    @Shirokinukatsukami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/268019/whats-the-reasoning-behind-blight-players-unnecessary-unoriginality-with-their-builds

    Meta Killers like Blight attract sweaty players who just want to win and 4K every time. So they always all use the same meta perks and add-ons over and over to consistently get as many wins as possible.

    Throughout DBD's history there's always a group of people playing the sweatiest meta builds, the killer they use changes as balance changes but they're basically the same people each time. Once upon a time they were all doing Billy, then they shifted to Legion, then to Nurse, then to Spirit, then to Freddy, then to Oni, then to Blight, then to Wraith, etc. (I don't have the chronology perfect but these killer metas did happen)

    Depends on who just got the latest big buff.

    Yea don't get me wrong I understand there are people who want to use strong builds and it's not a weird thing to see, but I do find it weird how often I see it on Blights to the extent that I pretty much never see anything else. There's one thing expecting certain perks on a killer due to the perk synergy and people who play that killer religiously only using the same 3 perks as if they swore to it in some cult. It's weird.

  • Clearly you've never tried to run an A-tier Blight build before... not easy. Tinkerer is where it's at, I'm afraid...

  • @kyogul said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2382712#Comment_2382712

    Yea that's how I know you're not understanding the actual question if you think the second post is answering the main prompt.

    The second post explains why those perks are good on Blight and why some others aren't, but it doesn't explain why it's only those perks together as if those are the only compatible ones. The question was never about why those perks are used on Blight; it's why it's only those perks used together, leading to people seeing pretty much identical builds on every single Blight. There is a difference between expecting certain perks on a killer and pretty much seeing the same identical build on killers to such a degree where you almost never see anyone using anything else but those 3 perks together.

    It makes sense people want to run the best of the best to win, that's expected. Survivors do it all the time. But the real question comes in at: why are only Blight players doing this to such an odd monolithic degree to the point where it's pretty much every Blight with no variation running 3 of the same 4 perks, when they don't actually have a need to? Twins are the only killer who actually have a reason to use the best of the best because nothing else really works on them. Blight has plenty of alternatives.

    This would not be a question if I saw a similar ratio of meta setups on other killers. Except I don't. There is almost always variation in builds. There are perks I expect on certain killers but it's never so monolithic like with Blights.

    People are allowed to use whatever perks they want and what I think of it doesn't change it. The question is however, if people want to win so much and use the best of the best, why is pretty much every other killer but Blight not using the best of the best?

    Totems are generally not an issue for me unless it's an indoor map and I can generally find the spawns as I have experience to do so, but that still doesn't really impact my thoughts on the build. Even in a SWF playing against that is boring, and it's not so much the perks themselves but how they play in general. Time and time again, after the totems get cleansed, they just camp out of insecurity. They make the games boring and there's nothing I can do as a player. It has nothing to do with the games being difficult either. I've faced much more difficult Blights who used no slowdowns and add ons and I didn't complain.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2382564#Comment_2382564

    Yea don't get me wrong I understand there are people who want to use strong builds and it's not a weird thing to see, but I do find it weird how often I see it on Blights to the extent that I pretty much never see anything else. There's one thing expecting certain perks on a killer due to the perk synergy and people who play that killer religiously only using the same 3 perks as if they swore to it in some cult. It's weird.

    But they're not the only perks that Blights run, the most common, perhaps, but not the only ones. You claiming they're the only perks are just part of your bias. Even if they were, perhaps its because they're really good on him and help him slow the match down due to the survivor meta of rushing gens as fast as possible. And its not just blight players, I seem to remember that HillBilly's ran this build quite often before they got nerfed and made a chore to play.

    Every killer has an optimal build, your question really isn't a question, its a rant disguised as a question.

1 2 ›