Newbie killer tips?
Been playing about a month or so. Leaving my survivor comfort zone now I have somewhat of a grasp on most maps.
does anyone have any useful tips for starting out in the killer side? Who’s easiest to start on/ perks I should be looking out for etc…
thanks in advance
Comments
Never vault a window as killer. Learn the tiles. Learn the killers powers and uses. Learn survivor perks.
Starting teachable perks I targeted when restarting on PC: Cannibal (Barbecue and Chili), Clown (Pop Goes the Weasel), Trapper (Brutal Strength), Shape (Save the Best for Last).
you can lunge if you hold m1.
you can also not lunge if you tap m1.
it took me months to realize i could tap m1.
Start with wraith, but as soon as youre comfortable landing hits, switch to bubba. You NEED bbq and chili to lessen the grind
Dont worry about winning or losing for now, just focus on practicing getting hits and learning loops.
Wraith is the best beginning killer so start with him. As you get better you can switch onto harder killers. Learning loops are also very important.
Don't expect kills every match. Don't play Hillibilly. Grab some good perks from event shrine, like corrupt intervention for example. Don't vault windows if you don't have to. Find killer that will suit you and main him. Find your favorite perks and perk combos. Watch some YT tutorials, but remember these ,,tutorials" won't teach you practically anything, only theoretically. Play with perks that shows or will help you find survivor's location (like Spies from the Shadows).
Never slug Bill (Unbreakable). Always expect Dead Hard from David and always camp the key user.
Tunneling and camping are sometimes necessary for winning and are not always bad.
When you are having a long chase, don't be afraid to drop the chase and go pressure survivors off gens.
You are welcome.
One of the killers I find easy to start with is doc. He has good tracking easy game with static blast and madness. And when you learn him more you can consistently stop survivors from vaulting or dropping pallets for easy hits
Doc has some very strong points in his favour as he finds it easy to find survivors and he has counterplay aganst excessive pallet-looping or windows so he makes a pretty good starter Killer.
Still the fact that you are so strong initially may make it hard to get used to other killers who lack those skills. Personally I think maybe Wraith is a better choice as he is a pretty basic M1 Killer abeit with very fast movement speed.
One more hint to the above - don't kick gens if you are not sure that there is no survivors nearby. It isn't worth it if the gen doesn't stay untouched for a long time.
To be honest is it ever really worth kicking a gen if you don't have Pop?
It take 2 seconds plus however long it takes to walk there, and back to your optimal route so even if near a generator that can be 5 seconds total out of your way. Then it only regens at a QUARTER the rate a survivor can fix it. And there are 4 survivors. So if it takes you 5 seconds out fo your way total that is 5 * 4 * 4 = 80 seconds that it has to regress before it is worth it, and a survivor can stop that regression with a fraction of a second of using the gen even in a chase.
So IMO it seems pretty much never worth it unless you are using perks I think.
Watch how to loop videos in youtube and don't purchase any DLCs until you get all the teachables from the killers you have.
Find the weakest link. They are easy downs as they are the worst loopers, making them only useful for gen jockeying. Of course not every team has them, but if they do (and believe me if they are solos they have at least one) finding them early usually leads to victory.
As others have mentioned don't over commit to chases you cannot end quickly, just leave them and look for weaker loopers
And lastly never ever chase someone who teabags or flashlight clicks to get your attention. They want to be chased so ignore them.
Probably the hardest thing for a new killer to understand is that while it seems intuitive to just camp a hook or keep focusing the same player, it's not always the most tactically sound option available to you. At the most fundamental level, you as a killer should be focusing on buying yourself more time to catch survivors in mistakes - and you do that by keeping as many hands off generators as possible.
Every second a survivor is on a generator is time you are losing - and time is something you will never have enough of. So while it seems smart to camp a hook - if nobody is coming to the rescue - you're going to lose bad. Because here's the simple math
So basically, if you camp and the survivors are wise to what you are up to, they may decide to leave their teammate to rot and pound out 3 generators.... that's more than half their objective lost and you've only got one kill. Generally, it's better to chase somebody else once you got one hooked as you are pretty much guarateed to have 3/4ths of the survivor team off generators that way (one on the hook, one going for the rescue, and the one you're chasing)
It's not to say you shouldn't stay at the hook at all. If people are being aggressively altruistic and you know most of the team is not on a generator when you are at the hook, you literally have no reason to leave at that point.
And lastly - some general advice
Welcome to the fog
If the gen is 99'd or somewhere around that - yes, it is worth it IMO
You are right about how Doc can make you bad at tracking with other killers if you play him too much. As a Doc main I've personally experienced this anytime I try to play another killer. Because he's just so damn good at locating people, it makes a person who doesn't diversify his killer play time really lazy in the tracking department.
If I play the doc for a really long time, it's almost as if I forget to check corners or watch for crows sometimes.
Wraith is indeed a good choice for a new player.
If you happen to be in the area and have a general idea where people are and what they are doing, its worth kicking gens. You need to patrol gens anyway, making sure gens on your patrol are regressing is quite nice. Let alone that it's potentially valuable information. If you kick a gen, you KNOW if a survivor touched it. If you return to a gen and it only increased 5% in progression, you wouldnt really know.
I am still of the opinion that actively kicking a generator should do a bit more than just put in into regression(like, 5% basekit perhaps), just as I am of the opinion that wiggling(yknow, having priority over a hook, you're taking a risk as a killer to go for the furthest hook possible, if a survivor reaches 100% on the wiggle bar, they should escape, you failed to hook them in time) and being slugged needs to do a bit more(perhaps increase crawling speed the more you're recovered, picking each other up if 2 survivors are downed side by side, just to punish slug camping a bit easier).
There is a lot in the vanilla game that needs to be polished up, things that cannot be fixed by adding perks. DS is one of the rare ones where it's existence alone is risky enough for the killer to simply not tunnel a survivor for shits and giggles. They need to start balancing the game towards 4 man swf on comms, starting by buffing solo survivor and then adjusting killer accordingly.
Nothing wrong with a shameless plug. I’m UK time so if your streams are at a suitable time for me I’ll watch if you want to drop your twitch.
started on a wraith, killed 3 first game without camping or tunnelling (things I hate as survivor) so pretty proud of myself considering I can be an utter potato sometimes 😂
the field of view will take a bit of getting used to & remembering to check corners I myself would hide. Scratch marks are a bit of a weak point when I lose visual as well but I’m sure I’ll get more used to it.
is moonwalking possible on console? (I know, I’m a detriment to myself)
want some big brain stratagys
when a survivor camps a pallet just tap m1 and they will drop it because muscle memory
as a killer like trapper when about to pick up if you feel like a sneaky claudette with a flashlight is about to ruin your day start placing a trap and they may run out thinking your picking up and then hit em. same with ghost face just crouch and it may cause them to run out thinking your picking up or atleast stand up.
if you think a survivor is in a locker first walk near it and then backup (incase of head on) and if nothing happens then stand infront of it and listen (because you can hear injured survivors inside lockers but it's quieter)
also as nurse you can teleport through the locker to whatever is behind them and when your passing the inside of the locker for a split second you can see somebody standing inside
never chase somebody for more then 1 minute max. if they are still looping you they have no plans of stoping any time soon so give up and go for somebody else.
This may sound crazy but as killer half the time respect the pallet and moonwalk and the other half pretend to respect it and then out of nowhere turn around and lunge through it. survivors will not expect it especially ones you tried to moonwalk before in the same chase (because you did what you were pretending to do)
If you see a loud noise notification in a area with no gens, DON'T GO THERE it's the person i mentioned 2 lines above who will loop you in an area with no gens while there friends gen rush across map
So many pieces of advice here, so my apologies of I repeat some, but mine would be:
1. Watch your red stain and use it to trick survivors into thinking which way you're going.
2. Listening carefully for footsteps, especially when blinded. Most survivors run after blinding you, so use the footsteps to know which way they went.
3. If chasing survivors around a loop, ironically sometimes the best thing to do is do nothing and face the wall if out of the line of sight. You'll be surprised how some will run straight into you.
4. Learn what route survivors take to escape you. They may get into a habit that you can then use to trick them by taking a less obvious route to meet them at a certain point.
5. Try to create a 3-gen scenario. Whilst you are hunting survivors, you also have a way of shaping the map to your advantage. You'll lose 1-2 gens dairly early, but if you can keep gens that are clustered together then it becomes much harder.
6. Never give up, even after a bad start. One trial I had relatively recently saw all 5 gens done with only 1 hook. I had no NOED and things looked rather bad. I ended with a 3k. Until they have crossed that threshold, anything can happen.
7. Have fun! It's a game at the end of the day, and the more fun you have the better performance you'll have and the more you'll get out of it.
I would start with either Clown, Bubba or Pinhead.
Some tips:
Eat the pallets, don't be afraid by the stuns... Or play with Tenshin Tactics (Oni's Perk, vaults & pallets are revealed).
A good pair of headphones will let you hear things that you otherwise wouldn’t with speakers. They’ll massively help with hiding survivors.
This can be things like survivors walking/running past you, injured survivors in lockers, or even survivors breathing.
Ignore this guy’s first tip.
Sometimes vaulting a window lets you close the gap if you play it right.
Simple tip since i feel like everybody else here has gone into better detail than i likely could:
Killer you tube is ABSOLUTELY your friend. There are so many obscure tips and tricks about this game that are hard to come by that you can learn simply by watching videos of experienced killers playing the game. It helps give you a deeper insight into what a highly skilled player does and how to get closer to being like them. Otzdarva is an amazing youtuber for newer players, he constantly dishes out very informative videos and posts to help expand your knowledge of the game and how to play it. I would highly reccomend consuming some of his content and internalizing some of what it teaches you, you'll be on your way to being an Iri 1 killer in no time.
I started out this game playing Killer, so here are some tips :)
There is no objectively right way to play this game. Play however you want, as long as you're enjoying it!
Very few places should a killer vault. I cringe when killers vault T L’s. It’s better to not and learn to play around them, which is the correct move the majority of the time.
Watch Otz.
additionally, I recommend getting in character.
if you're going to get new characters, I recommend picking the killers you find scariest.
Getting in character? Like, pretend I am an innocent victim trying to protect my family from home invasion against those darned meddling kids... But with the added benefit of being able to eat them fresh?
exactly. it's not anger at a person when you get stunned, it's the prospect of possibly not getting a meal, or being found out. it's fear.
Like I said, some windows will let you close the gap. It’s just a matter of knowing which ones.
True. Just want to reiterate this is general advice for new players.
1. Don't take the survivor bait
2. Watch videos of the killer you play to learn tricks and tips you might have missed
3. Don't be afraid to use the dark arts
As someone who prefers killer, and has been gradually moving towards a point where I'd be happy to call myself 'intermediate', here's a few:
And most importantly:
Whew! That ended up being longer than I expected. Hopefully it helps.
EDIT: One more thing: save your best addons for when you hit a losing streak, or you feel you'll be going into a rough game (you'll learn to sniff out nasty SWF groups quickly).
I have a small list of tips that I sent my best friend on discord when she first started playing DBD and killer so I'll put them here too :)
I went Doctor second, and he remains a favorite of mine.
He is rare, and a lot of survivors will tilt facing him. Madness is a wonderful tool, Static Blast is an incredible 'sonar ping' that also gets survivors off gens (and will often cause them to scatter). His 'disable' is also absolutely boss if you can get it right. However, I'd save him for later - as his perks really aren't very good.
I'd recommend staying away from Wraith to start. His speed and invis will likely cause you to pick up some bad habits, and miss some tricks. Plus, his perks are doo-doo.
I'd say Bubba is a natural first pick, and there are few killers that BBQ isn't good on (plus, it will help you farm up much faster).
Legion is awesome too - despite being a bit weaker. Discordance is my single favorite perk in the game, almost sleeper OP to an extent. It is such an incredible tool that I feel gimped whenever I don't run it.
Best advice I can give you - be aware of time. Do not spend too much time chasing one survivor - you will lose multiple gens very quickly if you don't learn to abandon chases. Since you have played survivor some - you have some idea of loops that are good to use against a killer - so don't fall into those traps as a killer.
1. Enjoy it while you can.
2. Get a therapist.