3/4 of my games have a key in them

When are keys getting nerfed? I'm tired of SWFs just finding them in the game and using them to get hatch free. Killers don't have a comback mechanic like this. Even when Mori's actually did something, you had to bring one in, you coudln't just find it. And I think we all know the nerf to keys will not make them as worthless as Mori's, because of favoritism. They could make as simple and lazy change as they did to Mori's, just make keys unable to open hatch. Simple and done. (I'm not exactly serious with this nerf but I am very frustrated by keys and how Mori's where just nerfed into oblivion with no buildup or warning.) But don't worry, we have new coldwind maps and ######### survivor animations instead! :D :D :D :D

Comments

  • 3 out of 4 games? Seriously?

    If your luck is as bad as you claim then why aren't you using franklins?

  • Not able to open hatch at all. Simple and done? And what about the achievement that still needs to be doable?

    also keys are only usable once enough gens get done. Or you needed to have already killed some survs. Bring Franklins. Don’t judge your matches only by how many survs escape.

  • I've thankfully noticed that big drop off in keys since they fixed the chest bug recently.

    It's still pretty high usage though.

  • Out of my last 53 killer matches (Number of killer matches since the chest patch) I have had 5 people total escape with a key. So you know... 5 out of 212.

  • Don't mean to sound rude, but I think you might be exaggerating just a little bit.

  • I hate how easy it is to find a key in a chest during a game but I love it when people in the lobby have one. That tells me to bring franklins and once they drop that thing most try to go back for it. Often leading to an easy down. It's like Golem from lord of the rings

    "Lost!!! My precious is lost!!!!!!!"

  • @Amy095 said:

    3 out of 4 games? Seriously?

    If your luck is as bad as you claim then why aren't you using franklins?

    Because it does nothing. All the survivors need to do is put the key down and remember where it is and the killer can do absolutely nothing about it.

  • Bring Franklins Ez

  • @Vetrathene said:

    When are keys getting nerfed? I'm tired of SWFs just finding them in the game and using them to get hatch free. Killers don't have a comback mechanic like this. Even when Mori's actually did something, you had to bring one in, you coudln't just find it. And I think we all know the nerf to keys will not make them as worthless as Mori's, because of favoritism. They could make as simple and lazy change as they did to Mori's, just make keys unable to open hatch. Simple and done. (I'm not exactly serious with this nerf but I am very frustrated by keys and how Mori's where just nerfed into oblivion with no buildup or warning.) But don't worry, we have new coldwind maps and ######### survivor animations instead! :D :D :D :D

    I asked if survivors would ask for keys to be chabged if killers would ask for camping to be changed to be unviable. The discussion barley even touched on hiw to change keys becuase killer mains were so opposed to the idea if loosing camping. Would you give up camping if it meant keys would be nerfed hard?(I liked the idea of it taking uninterrupted time to open kind-of like a totem but any suggestion's welcome)

  • I still say that it should have a 5 second opening period for iri and 10 second for purple. That way you would have to not be in a chase to use it for a free escape but it doesn't rob someone of actually using the key.

  • @wxnickxw said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/249179/3-4-of-my-games-have-a-key-in-them

    I asked if survivors would ask for keys to be chabged if killers would ask for camping to be changed to be unviable. The discussion barley even touched on hiw to change keys becuase killer mains were so opposed to the idea if loosing camping. Would you give up camping if it meant keys would be nerfed hard?(I liked the idea of it taking uninterrupted time to open kind-of like a totem but any suggestion's welcome)

    Camping and keys aren’t on the same tier. Moris and keys were on the same tier as they both ended the game early. Moris got nerfed into basically just being for show and now keys are op in their current state.

  • @Thr_ust said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2181004#Comment_2181004

    Camping and keys aren’t on the same tier. Moris and keys were on the same tier as they both ended the game early. Moris got nerfed into basically just being for show and now keys are op in their current state.

    Really? I woukd have said keys are much much more powerful than moris but I supposed ultimately they do both involve saving time on objectives, moris the trip to the hook, keys the time to do gen(s).

    but if it's just a matter of time does that mean if a perk like prove thyself (which also reduces time for gens) or other similar perks were nerfed then your no longer going to ask for keysbto be nerfed, becuase then we'd be back to a 2/1 situation, or do you have another excuse?

  • @wxnickxw said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2182338#Comment_2182338

    Really? I woukd have said keys are much much more powerful than moris but I supposed ultimately they do both involve saving time on objectives, moris the trip to the hook, keys the time to do gen(s).

    but if it's just a matter of time does that mean if a perk like prove thyself (which also reduces time for gens) or other similar perks were nerfed then your no longer going to ask for keysbto be nerfed, becuase then we'd be back to a 2/1 situation, or do you have another excuse?

    I don’t mean moris as they are now. I mean moris before. Keys as they are now are still close to the same level of unfairness as getting instantly mori’d after only getting hooked once. And the difference with perks like prove thyself is the killer can stop it. Meanwhile when it comes to hatch if the survivor has a key and knows where the hatch is the killer can’t really do much to stop it.

    And just to elaborate there’s a difference between ending the game early and just having perks to speed up your progress. Comparing prove thyself to keys is the same as comparing first hook mori’s to Save the best for last.

  • @Thr_ust said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2182465#Comment_2182465

    I don’t mean moris as they are now. I mean moris before. Keys as they are now are still close to the same level of unfairness as getting instantly mori’d after only getting hooked once. And the difference with perks like prove thyself is the killer can stop it. Meanwhile when it comes to hatch if the survivor has a key and knows where the hatch is the killer can’t really do much to stop it.

    And just to elaborate there’s a difference between ending the game early and just having perks to speed up your progress. Comparing prove thyself to keys is the same as comparing first hook mori’s to Save the best for last.

    With regards to one hook mori, it saved at most 2/3 hooks per survivor, a key can reduce the need to complete all 5 gens. Hence why I said it was much more powerful. You could do essentially nothing with keys wait for your team to die then even if the killer closes the hatch just pop it right back open.


    Either way as for time saved with keys it's 80 seconds per gen per 5 gens. Of 400 seconds in the best possible case. Prove thyself I believe is 45 percent reduction of each gen so 36 sec9nds per gen saved times 5 gens so 180 seconds saved. Now clearly 400 its more than 180 but both still enf the game early its just a matter of how much so.

    As a side note In the worst case the key may only save the time of running to an already open exit gate just a few seconds away from the hatch in that case


    As for preventing other perks you can do that to keys as well. You have Franklin's demise, not killing the survivor to trigger hatch spawn until you know where the remains survivor with the key is, offering so you know where hatch is etc.


    As a fun little aside I suppose you don't ever want the devs to do anything to swf communications becuase there is no killer equivalent right? You'd be stuck with a 0/1 forever that wouldn't be right

  • @wxnickxw said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2182519#Comment_2182519

    With regards to one hook mori, it saved at most 2/3 hooks per survivor, a key can reduce the need to complete all 5 gens. Hence why I said it was much more powerful. You could do essentially nothing with keys wait for your team to die then even if the killer closes the hatch just pop it right back open.

    Either way as for time saved with keys it's 80 seconds per gen per 5 gens. Of 400 seconds in the best possible case. Prove thyself I believe is 45 percent reduction of each gen so 36 sec9nds per gen saved times 5 gens so 180 seconds saved. Now clearly 400 its more than 180 but both still enf the game early its just a matter of how much so.

    As a side note In the worst case the key may only save the time of running to an already open exit gate just a few seconds away from the hatch in that case

    As for preventing other perks you can do that to keys as well. You have Franklin's demise, not killing the survivor to trigger hatch spawn until you know where the remains survivor with the key is, offering so you know where hatch is etc.

    As a fun little aside I suppose you don't ever want the devs to do anything to swf communications becuase there is no killer equivalent right? You'd be stuck with a 0/1 forever that wouldn't be right

    As that other guy mentioned you greatly underestimate the power of skipping a hook state. Forget the ebony even if you bring a green mori if you kill one survivor extremely early you’ve basically won unless you throw the game. 3 survivors means gens take a lot longer and survivors struggle to spread. On top of that with 3 people if you hook someone and then find someone else there is then absolutely nobody working on gens where at 4 there would probably be one. I want to make this clear I firmly believe both old moris and keys are/were game breaking and unfair. And on the idea of countering with franklins all a survivor has to do to counter that is push the drop item button. And if you think finding an immersed dude with a key is as simple as just not letting the hatch spawn I genuinely question how long you’ve been playing this game. And even if I control where hatch spawns so what? If I camp hatch they do the gens/open the gates. If I patrol gens/gates they open the hatch

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2182601#Comment_2182601

    That is hugely oversimplifying things. The benefit isn't just saving two chases and two hooks. It's removing a survivor from the game extremely early. That makes a massive impact on how quickly survivors are able to complete gens. Even a green mori prior to their nerf was more reliably strong than a pink key.

    Keys cannot reduce the need to complete all five gens. In order for a key to save ONE survivor at five gens, three survivors need to be dead and the remaining survivor needs to still have their key and the killer needs to close the hatch (because otherwise the key was useless) and the survivor needs to locate and reach the closed hatch without being downed and before the EGC timer runs out and it needs to be a game in which the survivor would not have made it out the exit gates without a key (because otherwise the key was useless). And, even then, it's possible the survivor team might not have been wrecked so thoroughly if you had brought a more reliable item, like a medkit, instead of the key.

    Most of the time keys do literally nothing. If you die with the "save key" add-on, if you die as the last survivor, if you die early and your teammates never locate your key (or even think to try), if you escape through the open hatch, if you escape through the exit gates or if you escape through the hatch when you just as easily could have made it through the exit gates, if you lose the key due to Franklin's, etc. the key did absolutely nothing for you. It actually might have hurt you because you were running it in place of a more reliable item, like a medkit.

    The devs can't and shouldn't do anything about SWF and comms. It would kill the game, for one, and I feel players exaggerate the impact it has on match outcomes. When I get lose as killer it's almost always because I made bad decision(s) and/or got outplayed.

    Yes it was a simplification to not point out the total effect becuase any argument about killing earlier has added effects and can snowball against the survivors is mirrored by finishing gens early thus preventing chases deaths and snowballing. So whats the point it cuts both ways.


    Not sure why you spent so much time explaining that keys don't normally save a full 5 gens, I mentioned the best case scenarios, that's why I said at most and can. If I was talking about the average case I would have typed something along the lines of "on average...." or "you can expect...."

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2182743#Comment_2182743

    I just think the average case is way more useful when talking about how strong something is. Like, it can't just be ceiling; it has to be ceiling and the likelihood of actually reaching that ceiling. Keys have the potential to save one or multiple survivors from likely death, but in most matches they do just about nothing. I don't think they're useful frequently enough to justify running over a medkit if you're really trying to win. I totally think it's worth it to make room for one key in a four-man squad, but that's about it.

    So your point I'd don't bother nerfing keys becusse nobody bothers with them anyway? I take it then you aren't opposed to neffong them then, since you and most people don't use them in your view?

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2180985#Comment_2180985

    Well that's assuming the survivor knows the killer has Franklin's; if there's no Franklin's you'd obviously prefer to keep your key to use the aura reading, have it ready when you need it, and prevent a teammate from picking it up. Most teams aren't four-man SWFs and will not be able to communicate that the killer has Franklin's, rotate to save teammates' items, etc.

    It's pretty obvious the killer has Franklin's when your item disappeared. All you have to do is pick it up and put it down again. It's not like the killer will be camping it unless they... You know, absolutely suck and don't want to win but instead want to BM.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2182874#Comment_2182874

    No, that is not my point. My original point was just that keys are not as strong as old Moris were. They're also not a "free escape" like people often claim and not as overpowered as people make them out to be.

    People certainly do use them; something doesn't need to be best in slot to get use. I would be fine with reworking them, so long as they're still useful in some way or another when all is said and done.

    Ah good just making sure, to be honest your the first I can think of that said keys aren't very good

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2183000#Comment_2183000

    Well, right, but you don't know your item disappeared until they hit you. Survivors aren't often going to take the "Let's just drop the key in a corner" approach unless they know for sure the killer has Franklin's.

    I'm not saying Franklin's is strong per se and I personally don't run it much even against keys, but it doesn't do nothing either. At the very least it typically wastes time and sometimes it'll also remove items from the game.

    They can go back to their item very easily, pick it up, and if they want to put it back down in the exact same place. There is literally nothing stopping them from doing that except a killer who will throw the game to burn a key. In which case the key still did its job.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2183028#Comment_2183028

    Sometimes they can, sure. In that case you at the very least probably wasted a fair amount of time for their trip back to the item. It also gives you a chance to intercept them while they try, because survivors often will beeline for their items once they get unhooked. Taking advantage of this to down that survivor again is honestly the opposite of throwing the game; tunneling is of course super helpful if you want to win.

    There has not been a single time where a killer has used that perk against me where it did anything other than waste a perk slot. I'm not using my experience as a killer here, but as a survivor.

    Franklin's. Does. Nothing. Every example you are using will lose the killer the trial. Wasting time harassing a key on the ground? Yes please, that's 3 gens done for free. Bless AU servers in the evenings. Bye bye killer.

  • If I see a key in a lobby, I dodge. Switch out last second? Whatever, I don't even bother trying. What's the point, if I get them down to two people, they're just going to escape via the hatch anyway, especially if they can't handle a 3-gen situation or a situation where I can get across the map quickly (most recent example: Wraith with All Seeing).

    Franklin's is ######### , considering any good survivor can play around it AND it doesn't address the last second key-change when the killer can't do the same.

    Keys are ridiculous as-is. There's literally no reason 1 person can open the hatch and let others' out.

  • @Amy095 said:

    3 out of 4 games? Seriously?

    If your luck is as bad as you claim then why aren't you using franklins?

    Because they can just drop the key until they need it.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2183046#Comment_2183046

    As a survivor, did you not have to waste time retrieving your item that you otherwise could have spent on gens? This could easily either remove an item or waste 20-30 seconds for a survivor, which becomes a useful effect quickly if all survivors have an item and keep going back to retrieve it.

    As survivor I usually just let my item go unless I'm already nearby for exactly this reason. If you pick up the item, not only is that short-term time wasting, but that time will get wasted again the next time you get hit if you insist on picking up your item. Sacrificing the item is usually the better option.

    So, for items survivors are less likely to give up, it can actually do pretty well. It's not necessarily about removing items from the game. It's forcing survivors to either waste time or give up their items.

    I don't like using it against toolboxes, because if they're on comms they'll just dump their charges into gens the second the first person gets Franklins'd. Keys are a little hit or miss, because if they just stash the key for later it doesn't hurt them and you get no Franklin's value. I like using it against medkits personally. That way people need to choose between being able to heal themselves on demand and wasting a bunch of time; even backtracking to a stashed medkit takes a lot of time.

    ---

    You don't need to pressure gens directly to get survivors off of gens. Downing and hooking survivors does that just the same. It's just gravy when you can remove a survivor from the game early.

    I typically wouldn't head off a survivor near a dropped item because I like to spread hooks and have fun, but it's not a bad play either. Think Pig downing someone at a Jigsaw box. Like yes, on the one hand that person is not doing gens, but on the other hand they're vulnerable and a quick down and hook forces other survivors off of gens to assist them. It also gets them closer to death. Everything is perk/map/situation dependent, but it's not fair to dismiss this as a consistently bad play and the perk as consistently useless.

    You have so much free time as a survivor who cares about 30 seconds? there are 3 other people and one killer. Its so unfair in the survivors favor its dumb.