Tunneling is not part of the game?

I was in a lengthy discussion in the chat with a bunch of survivors who kept telling me that tunneling is not part of the game and that I shouldn't do it. I heard a lot in my time playing DbD about tunneling, but never that it outright isn't part of the game.

I got disconnected from the server before I got a conclusive answer, so my curiosity remains piqued: is there a convincing argument of why tunneling is not part of the game, when it, as far as I'm concerned, clearly is.

Keep in mind that the question is "is not part, because...", not "shouldn't be part, because..."

Comments

  • You do realize, if 'tunneling' were punished, unhooked Survivors would THROW themselves at a Killer to let their friends get away, because the Killer would be punished for hitting them.

    Because they were just unhooked, and thus hitting them would be 'tunneling'.


    But I'm sure Survivor mains are fine with that. They see nothing wrong with such an abuseable mechanic. Just like the camping one!

  • Tunneling is a free perk for all killers. No consequences.

  • @Alionis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2170816#Comment_2170816

    I have over 3,000 hours, I think I know my way around this game, I don't need your bad faith input.

    You're the one taking this personally. I'm simply pointing out that hardcore tunnelling is, by very definition, extremely punishable, because any decent team will slam gens while the person you are senselessly trying to kill predrops every pallet because it's pretty damn obvious what you're doing since you were doing it from the start of the trial.

    Which leaves babies and solo's as the only ones that that will ever work against.

  • Using perks to fix flaws in core game design is an issue and what actually gets abused as pre-nerfed DS shows. So rather than sticking your head in the sand like an osterich, you should learn to have an actual discussion.

  • @konchok said:

    I've thought about this a bit and the only way that I see tunneling going away is if trying to go after just one survivor and ignoring the rest was a guaranteed way to lose.

    The way I could see it working is to rework how generators work. If I was a balancing dev this is what I would do. (This is a bulk suggestion meaning that it would all have to go in, you can't cherry pick the parts you want or don't want)

    1. Decrease the amount of time it takes to complete a generator by 10 seconds.
    2. Remove all generator regression perks
    3. Make corrupt intervention base kit
    4. Make Thanatophobia base kit, increase Survivors' Repairing speed penalty to 10 percent for each person injured.(and remove effects on other actions, such as cleansing /sabo)
    5. Kicking a generator causes an automatic 5 percent regression on that generator

    ---

    What's the reasoning behind these changes. Basically this, with these changes. If you camp or tunnel the generators will get done so quickly that'll it'll be a guaranteed loss. It becomes much more important to spread damage as 3 healthy survivors will blow away generators so quickly that tunneling/ camping will cost you the game. Inversely if you do spread damage than you'll have more time to get generators done and as killer you can run chase perks instead of generator regression perks. Make the game more chase focused and less focused on tunneling/camping.

    Why would the Killer ever hook anyone until all four Survivors were bleeding out with these changes?

    Stop tunneling and camping but yet propel slugging into the stratosphere?? (which is even more unfun).

    Horrible ideas.

  • @Power_Guy said:

    You do realize, if 'tunneling' were punished, unhooked Survivors would THROW themselves at a Killer to let their friends get away, because the Killer would be punished for hitting them.

    Because they were just unhooked, and thus hitting them would be 'tunneling'.

    But I'm sure Survivor mains are fine with that. They see nothing wrong with such an abuseable mechanic. Just like the camping one!

    and they were already doing that too with BT and DS

  • Ask yourself the question:

    Why do you trust so little in your skills with a killer that you go after a just unhooked injured survivor instead of the unhooker or anyone else?

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    Ask yourself the question:

    Why do you trust so little in your skills with a killer that you go after a just unhooked injured survivor instead of the unhooker or anyone else?

    It's not about skill it's about going against 3 survivors instead of 4.


    Having 3 opponents creates an insane amount of pressure on survivors.


    So again, why would I not go for the injured guy first?

  • @HealsBadMan said:

    Survivors do everything in their power to complete their objective. If you're not doing the same then you're only sabotaging yourself, its a kill or be killed kind of game.

    "Survivors do everything in their power to complete their objective."

    Nothing a survivor can do will eject the killer from the game early.

  • @Zixology said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2169693#Comment_2169693

    "Survivors do everything in their power to complete their objective."

    Nothing a survivor can do will eject the killer from the game early.

    But winning ejects the Killer form the game.

    People are acting like the Killer is boo-hoo evil mean man for playing his objective if he does not play the way Survivors want, or does not personally ensure he hooks every Survivor in rotating alphabetical order, thus ensuring everyone gets optimum play time.


    The 👏 Killer's 👏 Job 👏 Is 👏 To 👏 Kill 👏

    Not to ensure you get to play for 5 minutes before he kills you.

    Not to ask you over PMs if it's okay to hook you now.

    Not to keep a timer.

    Not to ask permission to attack.


    His goal, like Survivor's, in a PvP game, IS TO WIN.

    Hitting the wounded Survivor achieves his goal quicker than hitting the healthy Survivor.

    JUST LIKE SURVIVORS GO BACK TO ALREADY WORKED-ON GENERATORS INSTEAD OF RUNNING OFF TO A FRESH ONE.


    But people acts like the Killer is being some evil, scummy troll because he's GASP playing his best to win! WHUUUUUUH!? Only Survivors are allowed to try winning, according to these forums!

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    Ask yourself the question:

    Why do you trust so little in your skills with a killer that you go after a just unhooked injured survivor instead of the unhooker or anyone else?

    Why would I have to ask myself a question like that? There isn't that much thought, for me at least, that goes into who I "go after." Nine times out of ten I only see a single target in front of me. It isn't my fault that Survivors regularly:

    1. Do an unsafe rescue and put the person being unhooked between me and the unhooker.
    2. Vanish like Ninja the second they unhook so when I come around the corner I see only one target.
    3. The person I most recently hooked is simply the next person I run into on the other side of the map.

    The list goes on an on, but those are the big three. I take whomever is closest to me, period. On rare occasion I might specifically choose one target or another depending on how the match is going. This is more likely to happen if I've been being NICE and giving people as many hooks as possible. Situations where the Killer is being nice often result in nobody being dead as you approach the EGC and the Killer starts to have to make tougher choices. :) If I'm just playing and not worrying about anything other than the game itself, it is going to be luck or entirely up to the Survivors who get the so-called "fickle finger of fate."

    Why don't you ask yourself this question, "Why am I such a busybody that I wasted everyone's time by making a passive aggressive post to try and grief/shame people into what I consider 'right think' rather than worrying about my own play, which is the only thing that is really any of my own business?" Seriously, do you trust your own skill so little that you have to try and influence matches with such crude, juvenile (Mean Girls) manipulations? :)

  • @Alionis said:

    I was in a lengthy discussion in the chat with a bunch of survivors who kept telling me that tunneling is not part of the game and that I shouldn't do it. I heard a lot in my time playing DbD about tunneling, but never that it outright isn't part of the game.

    I got disconnected from the server before I got a conclusive answer, so my curiosity remains piqued: is there a convincing argument of why tunneling is not part of the game, when it, as far as I'm concerned, clearly is.

    Keep in mind that the question is "is not part, because...", not "shouldn't be part, because..."

    It obviously is a part of the game - so I think your inquiry is disingenuous to say the least and meant only to start yet another boring circular thread.

    With that said - I don't ever tunnel as killer (I play 50/50 killer/survivor for 4+ years). I play killer how I would like to play against other killers. I find it interesting that the main proponents of tunneling are "killer mains." I have been tunneled out in less than 3 minutes and find that type of gameplay unfun as a survivor - so would never do it to someone else. So yes - it is part of game play - that doesn't mean it is viewed as fair by the majority of players or remotely fun for the one being tunneled.

    But hey - if tunneling is what it takes to make you feel good about yourself and your game - go ahead and do it.

  • @Lord_Tony said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2172186#Comment_2172186

    It's not about skill it's about going against 3 survivors instead of 4.

    Having 3 opponents creates an insane amount of pressure on survivors.

    So again, why would I not go for the injured guy first?

    so you admit you have no confidence in your skill to reduce the number from 4 to 3 without tunneling. duly noted.

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2172189#Comment_2172189

    so you admit you have no confidence in your skill to reduce the number from 4 to 3 without tunneling. duly noted.

    No I'm telling you I'm not ######### stupid and 3 is better odds than 4.


    Why would I purposely go for the stronger link in the chain? that's dumb


    Why would I not kill someone ASAP?

  • @konchok said:

    Using perks to fix flaws in core game design is an issue and what actually gets abused as pre-nerfed DS shows. So rather than sticking your head in the sand like an osterich, you should learn to have an actual discussion.

    Totally agreed. I play solo, and the only argument some people on here have is “use x and y perk then”. It’s like they don’t realize half of my perks are already to help me in solo Q so I can’t equip all these perks to fix a design flaw.

  • @Power_Guy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2172194#Comment_2172194

    But winning ejects the Killer form the game.

    People are acting like the Killer is boo-hoo evil mean man for playing his objective if he does not play the way Survivors want, or does not personally ensure he hooks every Survivor in rotating alphabetical order, thus ensuring everyone gets optimum play time.

    The 👏 Killer's 👏 Job 👏 Is 👏 To 👏 Kill 👏

    Not to ensure you get to play for 5 minutes before he kills you.

    Not to ask you over PMs if it's okay to hook you now.

    Not to keep a timer.

    Not to ask permission to attack.

    His goal, like Survivor's, in a PvP game, IS TO WIN.

    Hitting the wounded Survivor achieves his goal quicker than hitting the healthy Survivor.

    JUST LIKE SURVIVORS GO BACK TO ALREADY WORKED-ON GENERATORS INSTEAD OF RUNNING OFF TO A FRESH ONE.

    But people acts like the Killer is being some evil, scummy troll because he's GASP playing his best to win! WHUUUUUUH!? Only Survivors are allowed to try winning, according to these forums!

    Using 👏🏻 emojis doesn’t make your argument look any better.

    A killer even when they lose, they still have the opportunity to play the game and do something about it. A survivor hardcore tunneled since the start of the match, does not.

  • @Lord_Tony said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2172616#Comment_2172616

    No I'm telling you I'm not ######### stupid and 3 is better odds than 4.

    Why would I purposely go for the stronger link in the chain? that's dumb

    Why would I not kill someone ASAP?

    because I trust in my skill to 'break the chain' even if i don't go for the weakest link. grow some actual confidence.

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2172618#Comment_2172618

    because I trust in my skill to 'break the chain' even if i don't go for the weakest link. grow some actual confidence.

    cool story bro.


    If I want to kill the weak link I can


    nothing you do can stop me don't tell me how to play

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    Ask yourself the question:

    Why do you trust so little in your skills with a killer that you go after a just unhooked injured survivor instead of the unhooker or anyone else?

    Why is that your only possible conclusion for tunneling? Because it definitely isn't mine.

    I'm going by efficiency, and it's more efficient as killer to reduce the number of survivors quickly than to essentially play a 4v1 the entire trial when only ever going for the next survivor.

    In a 4v1, when I chase a survivor, there are 3 progressing the objective. When I hook the survivor, there will still be 2 progressing the objective and 1 going for the unhook. When I find the next survivor to chase, there will still be 1 progressing the objective. No matter what you do here, there is someone progressing the objective. As soon as you bring that number to 3v1, there will be frequent periods in which survivors can't progress their objective, which is good for when you are the killer.

    I'm sorry, but your argument that killers tunnel because they are not confident in their abilities is silly.

  • tunneling is of course a legit strategy.


    Bringing the survivor group down to 3 early as possible significantly puts enough pressure on the game.

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2172189#Comment_2172189

    so you admit you have no confidence in your skill to reduce the number from 4 to 3 without tunneling. duly noted.

    A person who is confident in their abilities doesn't feel any need to prove themselves. That's why you see insecure people being loud and angry all the time, because anything can threaten their fragile egos.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    it's not a part of the game because the rules say that "tunneling" (attacking a survivor after they are unhooked in the trial) is an exploit of game design, stated in the EULA

    Where does it say that? I couldn't find it. Does it also say that camping isn't part of the game? How many rules are there? Is the rules only for killers to follow? This is interesting.

  • Well, tunneling is a legit strategy, just regarded as "scummy" by most players. It is part of the game, always was, and always will be.

  • If I’m in a match where it seems like it’s going to be a fairly easy game, I will go out of my way not to tunnel. But if I’m in a tough match against experienced survivors I know that tunneling might be necessary to get one survivor out early and make the rest of the game easier.

  • Tunneling is a part of the game.

    It's just ######### to do it to someone early on as, you relentlessly remove them from the game.

    It can be increasingly frustrating when survivor cues are close to ten minutes long.

  • @noctis129 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2169671#Comment_2169671

    Where does it say that? I couldn't find it. Does it also say that camping isn't part of the game? How many rules are there? Is the rules only for killers to follow? This is interesting.

    They were making a joke, it's not part of the EULA.

  • @stikyard said:

    Tunneling is a part of the game.

    It's just ######### to do it to someone early on as, you relentlessly remove them from the game.

    It can be increasingly frustrating when survivor cues are close to ten minutes long.

    True, but if Killer's don't eliminate someone fast...they lose.

    Gen speeds are so damn fast, and the only way Killers can slow them down is by:

    1. Hooking (A temp fix, as Survivors can be unhooked)
    2. Killing. (The only permanent way to reduce gen speeds by a large amount)


    When Survivors whimper about how 'unfair' and 'unfun' camping/slugging/tunneling is, they are either forgetting, or don't care, that they are the only consistent tools across every Killer for slowing down gen speeds & buying some time. All they care about is how they don't consider it 'fair' for Survivors to knock them out of the game. Which, and I repeat for all Survivors reading this; This is the Killer's goal. it is in his name.

    Our goal is to 'relentlessly remove them from the game', as you put it. It's not up to the Survivors to decide WHEN we can kill them, or 90% of them would say 'Never'. The nature of PvP games is that someone will get knocked out first. You can't limit that without literally screwing over the Killer's goal.

    And that's not counting the thousands of times Survivors will literally follow me to the hook, know that I can see them, then screech in end game chat 'YoU wErE cAmPiNg!', or get unhooked, heal under the hook (or start cleansing a totem 5 feet away) and 'StOp TuNnElInG!'

1 2 ›