Are There Any LGBTQ Survivors In The Game Or Planning To Be
i asked this in the questions for the Q and A but it was one of the non-picked ones (i wonder why). like are any of the survivors in the game now LGBTQ and if not are you planning on there being any? any one have any ideas or seen things that sugest there is? i would say Nea is a lesbian but you never know cause she could be MTF (male to female trans) and Dwight could be Gay. Anyone think of people they want to be LGBTQ in this game's lore?
Tagged:
Mod
Comments
I...don't think either of you two are the most constructive participants in this discussion, to be fair.
I'm not revisiting the debate for aforementioned reasons, but the issues raised by this discussion, on if and how to represent queer people in dead by daylight, deserved to be treated with a bit more care. The discussion would fair better if it were remade and presented with adequate nuance, and the two of you have agreed to excuse yourselves from it.
Don't need to be constructive in a topic discussion such as this where a 17 yr old believes everyone is wrong for sharing objective opinions and saying we are derailing a discussion that is on-topic.
This isn't really a "debate" and we don't have to excuse anyone it's a public forum not a "He shouldn't state their opinions because we feel it's not fair." and news flash we don't have to treat anything with any care when it's not that "big of a deal" like many people have stated here once again.
A debate is civil between all parties with 0 bias/toxicity and this thread became toxic beyond discussion due to the fact someone here wishes we were wrong when uh yeah new flash WE AREN'T as no "OPINION" is based on pure facts just one judgment and view as stated by MULTIPLE people here! it's not a NECESSARY concept it's just a trivial level stuff which has no gameplay relevance whatsoever! if you don't like it then make your own forum and have discussions there if not you can't tell people they can't do this or that because you feel sensitive about the responses.
I'm not even insulting or belittling or even being negative it's like playing chess with a pigeon!
If you feel the need to indicate sarcasm with a tag, you're probably wiser to leave its usage to people that grasp it better than you.
I hope this helps.
"for sharing objective opinions"
"as no "OPINION" is based on pure facts"
Yeah. Playing chess with a pigeon about sums it up. sigh
People have to indicate it or else people (like you) won't get it and take it as a hostile remark.
In this thread, there are more people against it than there are for it, and a large portion of the ones against it are LGBT themselves. Stop trying to frame your position as the morally correct one or even the popular one, because it's simply not true. Having LGBT characters in a game isn't going to help LGBT teenagers who become homeless due to their homophobic parents kicking them out. It's not going to help the high suicide rate due to bullying. It's not going to change anything.
I didn't say your name, so no I wasn't speaking for you. I feel you have an easy enough time sharing your thoughts already. I don't think someone should assume everyone in a group would simply share the same view of a certain topic. People always vary in beliefs and views. I'm simply sharing a view other people have voiced through facebook groups, or in person or off of playing the game and meeting people through voice chat and games. I know i've seen support and since not everyone is hear to voice it I'm just trying to share some positivity with @TheLegendDyl4n1
FACTS THANK YOU!
Nobody wants forced diversity. Nobody wants a gay character to exist simply because they're gay. They would much rather the character be part of the world rather then the world adjusting to the character.
We don't even know if the majority of the survivors are straight. Because in the end it doesn't matter, they're still ######### by a malevolent god that tortures them for food.
Quit being so god damn shallow because you see minorities as a checkbox for your socjus agenda.
Sometimes I give Nea the short blonde short hair, and the yellow sweater and jeans, and I pretend I'm Even Degeneres running from psychos like she got suck into this. Lol.
I think you mean malevolent. The Entity sure as heck ain't kindly and well-meaning. :P
Facts!
Did you.....did you just compare your demand for an LGBTQ character in a VIDEO GAME, as the same as fighting for womens rights and the end to slavery?
Dear gods.....i don't even......i really do not have words for this. At least not very polite ones. I really do hope that was just a badly worded post that was easy to misread, i really do.
Since we're in the LORE subforum I'll be frank with everyone. If there were going to be a homosexual character added to Dead by Daylight it would likely be a killer. The reason for this is that a majority of the cast and aesthetic themes come from the 1950's. During this specific time in history, folks weren't too keen on the idea of same-sex couples (to the best of my VERY limited knowledge on this subject). So if a homosexual character were to appear in Dead by Daylight they would likely be a killer who was furious after losing their partner. I don't see why they would have a homosexual survivor as the developers never bother to disclose that information in survivor character lore.
Above all though, there is no current need for homosexual characters in video games. Games are meant to entertain an audience. Dead by Daylight is a horror game above everything else. So unless you want to exploit homophobia there is no direct need for homosexual representation in a horror game.
I say I'm leaving and then come right back. I have too much time on my hands. But anyways. cracks knuckles
"We don't know the sexuality of the characters so you can just pretend."
It's like people are saying heterosexuality isn't naturally assumed to be the default or something. Weird.
Also, MichaelMyers, did you know that deep throating every post that confirms your biases with capital letters makes you look really smart? You're doing great, keep it up.
There was one thing that I feel silly in hindsight for not expanding upon. When xmenfanatic mentioned that falling underneath the queer umbrella encompasses a lot more than who you want to have sex with, I should have added that gender presentation also factors into this. Characters that don't fit into their expected binary would be a welcome change, i.e. a male survivor who wears earrings and lipstick.
"I don't want their sexuality to just be tacked on."
I feel a little embarrassed for falling for this, because it's a sneaky trick. Sexuality wouldn't be "tacked on" any more than sex or race is "tacked on" It can be relevant to their story or it may not be. Neither are a valid basis for exclusion.
I lost brain cells reading that....its like trying to compare slavery to the holocaust you just CAN'T compare them!
if your strait then your already accepted for your sexual orientation so you dont go what most LGBTQ+ people do
^This
its not just about a video game its all LGBTQ+ people in general that arent accepted for being who they are and by adding LGBTQ+ people to videogames it would be another step to normalizing LGBTQ+ which is one very small step by adding one to this game
please enlighten us to how every character in this game was added to be apart of the world. every character or at least every chapter (a killer, a map, and a survivor) has its own DIFFERENT backstorys none of them were added as apart of the world to make a whole single story to come together. also just because they are being eaten by a god that tortures them doesnt matter since if your LGBTQ+ is apart of a characters lore and we are in the lore section
if they were to add a LGBTQ+ killer it would still add a little something to this game. although it isnt a survivor i have slowly started playing killer so i could main that one since i go off of story and not appearance or powers
"a large portion" where i see a few but most have just said stuff about the subject not about thier sexuality i said i am gay and another said they were gay but other than that there arent any other claims.
I'm gay. The whole numbers game isn't really a valid basis for any argument anyways. It is interesting to note that several people who are LGBT aren't really as against the idea as they appear to be, once you pick away through the nonsense like "it's not needed" and such, they're concern ultimately boils down to a deep cynicism.
I understand it, but like I said, it's a bit sad and defeatist.
guys when i campared womens sufferage, and the freeing of the slaves i meant to the LGBTQ+ community and that we LGBTQ+ had to fight to get married and be accpeted and we still are fighting for all the rights of a strait person that obvisouly is not a felon. by adding a LGBTQ+ person to this game its not checking off a list its adding something people are asking for. LGBTQ+ people go threw hell everyday with some jobs like in Florida being allowed to fire someone with no reason at all and you cant go to court about it. i play characters based on backstory not powers or apperance so when i picked what survivor i would main it was based on Nea's story. so like i said earlier this would be a small step in normalizing being something other than Strait. if your LGBTQ+ and dont like labels then your most afraid to say it unlike me who make my label of "Gay" a strength not a weakness.
@TheLegendDyl4n1 I'm all for supporting LGBTQ people for who they are, there is just a time and a place for it. During the time in history at which Dead by Daylight occurs (the 1950s) there was little to no open homosexuality. Knowing this I cannot in good faith recommend that the developers and designers focus time and effort on a character that has little business being there. Dead by Daylight has two priorities:
meeting the horror genre trends
and
meeting the asymmetrical genre trends
To suggest that the developers and designers should change their objectives and focus all of their efforts on two LGBTQ characters is delusional, to say the least.
It is the duty of the developers to produce a product for a market. Dead by Daylight is an asymmetrical horror game. While I have no issues with a LGBTQ chapter coming out, the focus shouldn't be on supporting the LGBTQ movement as that's not what I and over tens of thousands other customers bought Dead by Daylight for. We bought Dead by Daylight for an asymmetrical horror game. That day that the focus of the developers shifts from horror and asymmetrical gameplay is the day that a very large group of players will become very angry.
I'm not against LGBTQ characters being released, there just needs to be a reason for them to be here that is based on the main game itself. We do not need LGBTQ characters in Dead by Daylight just to help LGBTQ people accept themselves, that is not Dead by Daylight's purpose and it would be an insult to Dead by Daylight and the LGBTQ acceptance movement.
WHAT? JUST WHAT? literally, people been telling you it's not important because this is a video game! a HORROR VIDEO GAME! Being Gay or Lesbian or Transgender is openly free right now in 2018 ACCEPTABLE and been ACCEPTABLE for a long time! but who cares over a VIDEO GAME!
No just stop they said their thoughts and you cant twist it around.
this game doesnt only take place in 1950's they said that the entity is everwhere and that it takes people from any time
its not fully acceptaed if you would of refered to my whole post then you would of saw that in places like Florida people fire others for being LGBTQ+ and that although we are tollerated we arent acceptated since their are still people who beat up LGBTQ+ in public at nightime in alleys or other places we arent accepted and we dont have every right of a strait person. and yes this is a videogame and most other videogames dont contain LGBTQ+ people. in Overwatch the character tracer is gay but you dont see them announcing that in the game except in a few sprays. it just that i would like to relate to a gay character and just because this is a videogame does not mean it cant be added.
I'm down for lore and learning lots about the survivors and killers, not sure knowing sexual orientation is necessary though. I'm more interested in how they survive in the entity's world and if they could ever get out.
FACTS!
Overwatch=/=Dead by Daylight
You see now here's the problem. I want to tolerate and accept LGBTQ people. My personal perspective on this whole thing is "I don't care who they are or who they're doing it with, just as long as it isn't me." However, when you almost militantly march forward forcing your ideas on everyone and injecting them into every single medium you can get your hands on my tolerance for the whole group drops. If Dead by Daylight were a dating sim or if it remotely mentioned sex at all then your argument would belong in this forum. That's the thing though, there is almost zero mention of sex or sexuality in the entire game. The only times you see sex or sexuality mentioned are "killer x is a boy or survivor x is a girl", that and the Clown's VHS Porn add-on. So unless you want to add LGBTQ information in the subscript of the above add-on or have whether or not a character is trans be mentioned in their lore there is zero reason why we need to be having this discussion. That's why you're seeing such strong opposition from @MichaelAMyers and so many others. This game doesn't care about the sexuality of anyone at all and you're trying to drag a small company into picking a stance on an issue that is so polarizing that there are dramatic ramifications of whatever choice they make. BHVR makes video games that's their role. The killers kill survivors that's their role. Survivors evade the killer that's their role. There's no reason to throw sexuality into this equation because it doesn't belong. Say you walk into a convenience store and you pick up a few items to buy and take them to the counter to pay. If upon doing so the clerk says I'm (Choose one: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, "Genderqueer?") that is seen as strange as there's no need for that information to be shared. Killers kill because survivors are meat worms. Survivors run because killers are merciless killing machines. There's no sex, just death or escape, that's it. If you are so incredibly desperate to sexualize Dead by Daylight I recommend you relocate to R34 as they're more open to that sort of thing.
(I understand that I have in a very minor sense assumed character sexuality in an earlier post about "#CAKE". However, that just a silly shipping post not a definitive demand for that pairing to be made canon.)
The developers have a certain theme with each character for each DLC.
Clown and Kate are both travellers that affect the communities they visit.
Spirit and Adam represent the benefits and downfalls of hard work.
Nea and Nurse both have tales that tell their struggles of a 'fresh start'.
Etc, etc.
The character make sense to the world since they were either abducted by the Entity or taken from a place of great tragedy. The Entity harvests the emotions of these people to increase it's power.
And yes, it doesn't matter if it abducts a straight, gay or a black tranny. The Entity shouldn't give a ######### about representation because it's not a human, nor does it think like one and since it doesn't think like a human, why the ######### should it care about the gender politics of human society?
That's why it doesn't matter. Because either way the Entity doesn't give a #########.
"when you almost militantly march forward forcing your ideas on everyone and injecting them into every single medium you can get your hands on my tolerance for the whole group drops."
Is Claudette throwing her blackness in your face? Is Feng Min throwing her Asianness in your face?
All of you are being obtuse cowards about this very basic and ######### simple question. Why is the representation of race and sex permissible but the representation of sexuality is not? If you cannot answer, you must accept the possibility of having an irrational double standard and take some time for a bit of self examination. Seriously.
I'll be waiting while you ignore me to regurgitate your tired points at Legend over and over again.
Simple. No one gives a #########. Not about race, sex, or who ever you want to #########.
Stop acting so offended.
"No one cares, therefore no." - Arguing a neutral and a negative at the same time.
YouTried
Next on down!
I am also not acting offended, but I am acting aggressive. I am acting aggressive because several of you are ignoring my points to repeat tired arguments that have been properly addressed. If I have to behave a bit more brutishly in order to force others to engage with an argument, so be it.
"Once you pick away the nonsense like "viewpoints opposed to my own". PSSSH. Stoopid disagree-y people."
This isn't even about the suggestion anymore, this is for you: you NEED to stop obsessing. Your entire personal identity seems to be wrapped up in your sexuality. It is not healthy, at all. This label isn't your strength or weakness, it's your everything.
Can you represent their sexuality visually? Race is blatantly obvious at a glance. Sexuality is something you have to go out of your way to convey. Perhaps a shirt or hat or something with a rainbow or gender symbols?
what i was going to say thank you
@ToolboxMotley Oh, you know that's an improper characterization. You yourself were argued down from "Quit being so God damned shallow" to "Okay, actually yeah it is kind of nice if it's done right" Orion, as well.
Er, to your question, I'm not sure exactly how to respond but I cannot tell whether you're phrasing your question rhetorically or whether they're being asked in good faith. Some clarification?
@Legend. I didn't mean that offensively. I mean that the members here in this discussion are blatantly picking on you so they can ignore points they don't want to deal with, and that's not cool.
if no one gives a ######### then why do i?
The avatar you play can be whoever you make them to be.
Okay then.
Stop trying to force people to care about your interests.
Because you're a very shallow individual that needs neon signs to relate to something.
Like DocOctober pointed out, 15 people disagreed with you. Of those 15, 3 (20%) are LGBT themselves. I'd say one fifth is a large portion.
@Mc_Harty
1) Your point implies that the inclusion of sexuality is innately more "shoved down one's throat" than race or sex.
2) Duh? I'm not sure what point you were trying to make here. That's the whole point of comparison, you describe similarities between two things that are different. The similarities being that they are both immutable characteristics.
3) YES I AGREE THAT IS THE ######### POINT YOU DENSE MOTHER #########. Neither is the mere existent of LGBTQ people. You're making me facepalm into a coma.
4) I can repeat the main argument, here. If no one gives a #########, then there's no reason not to include it.
5) You didn't understand the point. It is logically contradictory to argue a neutral stance and also a negative stance. You either don't care or you do care, not both.
6) Who said anything about forcing anyone to do anything? What the hell do you think I'm discussing? Marching into BHVR HQ with armed drag queens? Don't be ridiculous.
7) Heterosexuality is the naturally assumed default.