If Killer is easier than it's ever been, why aren't people playing them?

I agree Killer is easier than previous years. Yet we still have a queue problem and lots of Killer apathy.

Thoughts?

Comments

  • @Moxie said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2089819#Comment_2089819

    Rank plays a large role in this.

    I won't assume your rank, but I am speaking strictly for upper Purple/Red ranks where waiting for a Killer in the evening is a 10 min minimum wait.

    Daytime survivor is easier to find a match because there are less survivors playing (working, errands, etc.) So it will throw a group together faster. This is true across all ranks.

    Rank 1 for years, probably an issue on your server. I’m guessing you play with cross play off?

  • @OddProvidence said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2089830#Comment_2089830

    Rank 1 for years, probably an issue on your server. I’m guessing you play with cross play off?

    Nope! Cross play on.

    Not sure if region plays a role. I am in eastern Canada so maybe that's it.

  • Toxicity. You're getting ######### on by 4 people simultaneously ...

    However, It's always been a riddle for me as to why people actually care about toxicity that much, now I'm not making fun of anybody for being "weak", just asking about some pseudo-scientific insight because personally I never cared for it much, in fact, if after a win someone is pissed enough to insult me I know i did a damn good job, so how come some people care ? They're random people they will literally never interact with again and who know nothing about the guy they're insulting, why doesn't this automatically make people not care ? Im genuinely curious.

  • @Witas said:

    Toxicity. You're getting ######### on by 4 people simultaneously ...

    However, It's always been a riddle for me as to why people actually care about toxicity that much, now I'm not making fun of anybody for being "weak", just asking about some pseudo-scientific insight because personally I never cared for it much, in fact, if after a win someone is pissed enough to insult me I know i did a damn good job, so how come some people care ? They're random people they will literally never interact with again and who know nothing against the guy they're insulting, why doesn't this automatically make people not care ? Im genuinely curious.

    Off the top of my head, it's probably the fact that you are playing a game for fun. People don't queue up for abuse, even if they have thick skin.

    Yeah, a stranger insulting me is not going to hurt as much as an acquaintance, but it's unpleasant at least. Compound this, as you said, with 3 other people over multiple games and it becomes very irritating after many hours (I have 2200 so I am at that point).

    Yeah, don't let it bother you but everyone knows that is easier said than done sometimes.

  • @Moxie said:

    I agree Killer is easier than previous years. Yet we still have a queue problem and lots of Killer apathy.

    Thoughts?

    Easier, especially vs solo, but still underwhelming vs swf.

    SWF and solo gameplay needs to be seperated and balanced differently. A lot of killers and solo survivors want that, but swf dont want to lose the easy mode.

  • The thing I haven't seen pop up yet is a loss of player trust. Killers have been nerfed multiple times. Changes to balance things in killers favor have been slow to implement and community wise killers even get told that they don't matter by people who justify bullying killers into oblivion.

    Things may be more balanced now but lots of killer mains are likely sitting there waiting for the inevitable nerf that will come as people complain or have just stopped playing killer completely and aren't willing to risk playing it again.

  • @Moxie said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2089909#Comment_2089909

    Nope! Cross play on.

    Not sure if region plays a role. I am in eastern Canada so maybe that's it.

    Interesting, I’m in south eastern Canada.

  • it should be fun if they customize this game, and you can choose whether you want a Bot Killer or Real Human that controlled by human.

    Please humanize killer, there is a human being behind every player either survivor or killer.

  • I very much disagree. Perfection isn't required, but its defeatist that we never even try.


    At the VERY least: bribe players with a post-match 25% BONUS BP multiplier for every SWF user.


    This is one of those ideas that has literally no reasonable objections whatsoever.

    The singular talking point against post-match BP bonuses ("but they'll know and remember swf players") is undercut by the tediousness of that, other means of telling early, ability to recognize them in games anyhow, unavoidable frequency of SWF, and most of all: net improvement, where the benefits overwhelmingly exceed whatever marginal impact might exist, if any. Why we don't have this at the very, very, very least then? Hell if I know.

    Instead killers are simply expected to put up with over half of their games including anywhere from 50-100% of the other players exploiting 3rd party voice-coms. It's an indisputable steroids-level performance boost over how they'd play under the real game conditions, eliminating so much of the uncertainty and chaos that entails. Far worse than any imbalance though: it's how that extra edge, ability to gang-up, and atmosphere are so conducive of the bullying and toxicity that drives so many new/learning players away from playing killer... sometimes from the game entirely.

    With even this marginal 50-100% BP compensation for the extra stress, players wouldn't be so prone to lobby dodging and avoiding times where SWF groups play the most. It'd likely somewhat reverse having to dip into the rank disparity for killer opponents when that greatly exacerbates all the issues. Right now the only reward for having to go up against players freely handed such a crazy advantage is that chance to MAYBE play some real Dead By Daylight matches... that game designed and balanced around isolated players deciding to work towards mutual interest in a weighing of self-preservation versus altruism. Yet you never know which games those will be, so you're liable to come out the gates swinging as hard as usually required & brutalize the team that could've put up a fun match instead. Hooray.


    Anyhow... that's probably just the easiest, lowest effort, most unobjectionable solution around that would create any sort of impact--and for the tiny change, it'd be one massive impact too. It's the sort of change devs should be working on time-travel style right last second.

    Truth is, there are any number of decent options to at least start bridging the SWF gap. I'll save myself from making this post ten times longer by leaving it at that and a self-reminder that it's not like anything will come from me outlining the sort of logical foundations for each option available here. The lack of solutions has never been the problem. It's a lack of motivation--effort too---but mostly the developers just don't really seem to care. They're perfectly content to perpetually heave buckets of water out of the rowboat instead of patching the leak.

    Developers and many players alike seem to outright refuse even considering the smallest of QOL changes like a BP multiplier or mild gameplay considerations for the SWF issue when its so inarguably, well... an issue. There's this absolute conjecture just held as the word of God where ever simply allowing players any choice in the matter of who they go up again (even team-up with) instantly would destroy this game, turn lakes to fire, & rain ash from the skies. It's total BS in the first place, but hell--even if it things started heading that direction--it's easily reversed. Still such massive conjecture is grounds enough for most people as to why we can't even try anything at all. Personally, I'm pretty damn sure voice-coms is the most glaring issues in this whole game & resonate outward, cycling into new problems that heavily, heavily dampens the enjoyment of both killer and solo-survivor. But cest la vie.

  • @Moxie said:

    I agree Killer is easier than previous years. Yet we still have a queue problem and lots of Killer apathy.

    Thoughts?

    cause its still more frustrating and stressful if I were to guess

  • @mouse0270 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2087468#Comment_2087468

    Please learn how to use the enter key... For every ones sake.

    That some mental gymnastics right there friend. I'm pretty sure a killer doesn't care if they lose they just want some respect. Losing is fine some mechanics might be infuriating to deal with and piss killers off yes same goes for survivors. But at the end screen you don't have 4 arrogant capital g gamers rubbing it in and dropping god damn racial slurs because the report system is so archaic they can get away with it.

    Starting off, no one playing a video game owe's you respect. They honestly don't owe you anything. Now as you your point about people ######### talking in end game chat... That might just be their playstyle. I can play this game for 6 to 8 hours straight and get maybe 2-3 games where people ######### talk in end game chat. So maybe a lot of these killers who are bitching about this ######### are taking 2-3 games out of maybe 20. A Drop in the bucket.

    Secondly, BHVR is trying to do something about their archaic report/chat system. In true BHVR fashion they way over corrected. So now you can't even say some killer/survivor names, social media sites and a ton of over things. Now to be clear, probably about 80% percent of the time when a survivor called me out for playing like a ######### in end game chat, I was playing like a #########. But in your defense, there have been more then enough games where someone called me out for something I didn't do, or was just being plain racist...

    Lastly for this point... You can legit hide the chat and never see anything anyone says. It even stays like that once you reboot the game. So excluding racism, sexists, and homophobic remarks which should never be used, you also would have to see people calling you out for playing like an #########.

    "Entitled" sorry what the hell is this nonsense. Go on ask a friend why they don't play killer I guarantee you they will cite that the role is stressful and a good portion of that stress is those sore winners being arrogant and rude rubbing it in that they whupped your friends ass. But other games have this issue of rude jackasses too, well yes but it isn't 4 people berating 1 player that entire chat system needs to be opt in by default.

    Ummmm... I play killer... Mostly killer.... Probably about 2.2 - 2.5k hours worth of killer at this point. Been doing it for so many damn years. I don't need to ask them if the role is stressful. You are optional choosing to play chess 1v4... You would have to be stupid to think it would be the less stressful role. Yeah I get plenty of sore losers from survivors side. But you know what, besides when they are being racist, sexist or homophobic, I don't care what they have to say. ITS A GAME. People are going to get upset on both sides. And once again, you can hide chat permanently, just click the icon.

    Now if you read my post before getting so freaking upset over it. I even said

    "entitled" for lack of a better word

    Because yes I can I agree that entitled is a strong word for this case, but currently didn't have a better word in mind. Most killers I talk to don't count anything less then a 4k as a win. And they will run such boring ass builds or playstyles to accomplish that task. And before anyone says anything, yes there are Survivor builds that are just as boring, but the topic was related to killer. This game is 1 vs 4 bots. Its 1 v 4. There are four other people you are playing this game with, that you have no idea what their day, week or life is like. They could have just gotten fired from their job and wanted to play a game and their first match is a Pop, Stridor Spirit that tunnels everyone off hook. In my opinion if you play pop stridor spirit, you're a boosted ######### and nothing anyone says is going to change my opinion of that. There are just unfun killer builds and playstyles to play against.

    But he tunneled me so I get to call him a racial slur, a homophobic remark, well then your problem isn't with the player its with the damn game mechanics. I'm so sick of this community. The writing on the damn wall and you can't see the issue your inventing bogeymen or ridiculous conspiracy theories for why the killer role has queue issues.

    Once again, the chat can be hidden, and I don't condone anyone using the chat system to be racist, sexists or homophobic.

    Feel like im walking into the same competitive bm argumemt here but there is no competitve or reasonable reason to be a trash talker post game. T bag for aggro reasonable, calling the players mother an x not so much. (picked a ridiclous example but since any actual insults will get censored i picked something to get the idea across.)

    I happen to think yes you are owed respect post game and while yes people get mad because you dont know what theyve been through the equal occurs where someone who hoped on for a round or two should not be getting abuse for playing a damn game to add there barrage of crap.

    Its not some complex ethical conumdrum. Its basic mannners. You got nothing nice to say park it. Suck it up and move on to the next game or drop dbd. Again the issue with a playstyle reflects soley on the game designers. If it prone to exploitation its not the players fault its the game makers. Acting like a sore winner or loser is pathetic and is incredibly petty. (this is not a playstyle your just being a rude jerk).

    I dont see chess grandmasters trash talking there rivals. Probably because they arent petty or maybe just maybe they practise just a little bit of self control. I have stated before that for killer chat should be disabled by default. Mute systems dont get used till the experiance of the game as a whole is already tainted.

    Yes 3 out of 20 games you see the most aggregious examples but that dosent mean you ignore it. You and I can probably handle some degree of rude crap but that not the community as a whole. There are a real large number of players who just find killer unbearable largely because of the crap that gets thrown there way.

    Its aggregious enough we get queue problems when the devs dont just let matchmaking go rainbow ranks matchmaking mode. (throw random ranks together without consideration for what level there playing at, yes rank dosent work past a certain point but sorting the 18 megs from the purple red nurses might be more sensible.)

  • @Pulsar said:

    It isn't fun.

    If you win, it's nice. You get a feeling of satisfaction.

    If you lose, you get taunted for the entire game and likely get reminded of it post-game. It's mentally taxing to go through that for multiple games.

    Yeah but that's kinda survivor too. Just the way the game is

  • @Halbix said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2084733#Comment_2084733

    Yeah but that's kinda survivor too. Just the way the game is

    Not really.

    I've gotten a handful of angry messages from Killer's.

    I've gotten THOUSANDS from Survivors. There's 4 of them, there's bound to be more vitriol spat at the Killer side.

  • @gibblywibblywoo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/240554/if-killer-is-easier-than-its-ever-been-why-arent-people-playing-them

    Could be many things.

    It's apparent from these forums that a significant portion of kills still find it too hard.

    Bored (my reason, I just don't find it very fun anymore. They haven't innovated chases at all, no new mechanics for both sides. Just new, mediocre killer powers that are existing killer hybrids)

    They don't like the pressure of being the 1 Vs the 4. This is pretty common, some players get performance anxiety when its all on them.

    And finally, you can't play killer with your friends. That's a big one. Game are more fun with friends that why SWF is so popular.

    This

1 2 3 ›