J-Flick Discussion
Recently some of my friends have been playing blight and I thought that I would give him a shot myself. After playing playing him a lot I have come to learn that Blight is one of the most fun killers in the game. This brings us to the topic of J-Flicks. J-Flicks are something you can exclusively do on pc by turning very fast at the end of a rush (made easier by using a high dpi). J-Flicks allow blight to flick up to 180 degrees (people have found ways to do more but that's unpractical). J-Flicks create new ways to play blight. It turns him into some strange combination of oni and billy. And it's some of the most fun I've had playing dbd in a long time.
Many people are making the argument that since J-Flicks are unintended they should be removed, but if you think about it many great things have come from unintended game mechanics. A great example of this is b-hopping in csgo where entire communities revolve around it. Another is minecraft with it's bug pistons. My point here is that just because it's intended doesn't mean it should be removed.
A second argument people make against it is that it's OP or that it somehow is bad for gameplay. This one is simply not true. As a survivor main with over 1k hours I have to say playing against a good blight who can J-Flick is so incredibly fun. It adds fun mind-games and is like playing against a baby version of Oni's ability. It isn't even close to being bad for the game. Don't get me wrong blight would be a pretty balanced killer without J-Flicks but he would have an incredibly hard time playing against good players.
The final and possibly only good argument is that it's not fair because only PC players can do it. I honestly can't really make a strong argument against this. I've exclusively played DBD on PC so I'm going to be a bit biased when coming to this argument. In the end dead by daylight is a casual game and the only people who are out here taking the time to learn how to learn how to J-Flick are the "sweaty" players. FPS games with cross play have had this problem forever, A good PC player will always be able to out aim a good console player. (I'm not saying PC players are better than console, just that they naturally have an advantage).
If you take anything away from this argument please let it be that J-Flicks don't take anything away from gameplay, they only add good things to it. If you really took the time to read this all I appreciate it.
tl;dr Keep J-Flicks or I main stridor spirit for the rest of time.
Comments
The j flick has been in there since oni released which has been a pretty long time , you can look up oni flick videos and even though Scott bashes the flick, he made a video of himself doing it last year, that's why I complained is because they've waited this long to address it meanwhile people have been doing this the whole time not knowing it was an exploit.
J-Flick is an exploit. End of discussion. The devs are removing it because that's not how they want Blight to function. Your feelings on it are not relevant.
Why do you care about him being viable in comp if you called it a casual game?
Those saying that J-Flicks should stay don't care/do not acknowledge that it can't be done on console. They are all PC players and that's all they care about.
The fact that not every Blight can do this due to platform alone is enough to remove it in my opinion.
Yea I'm in a similar boat. I don't think it's fair that someone can have a completely different experience with a killer, based off their system.
The whole reason it's being removed is because a bunch of whiny people on the forums got hit by it and instead of learning how to counterplay it they made their voices heard, and now the devs have decided to remove it.
Yeah no,that's not true at all.
McLean is definetely not that kind of person that would do that.He and the other people on the balance team decided it's an exploit that needs to be removed and that's it.
I understand that and I can't argue that based on what the devs have said I'm just saying that it's so easy to do while you're in a match and it has been a thing since oni was released I wouldn't necessarily say someone is cheating because it's only achievable due to the cap being bugged and not working as intended and not because the player did anything to gain an unfair advantage, with survivors 360ing in your face it's fairly easy to overshoot the intended range without trying, they should disable oni and blight until it's fixed I'm not playing them anymore because it's too easy to accidentally do that I'm not a blight or oni main so I'm not the best but I do enjoy playing them
I mean. not when you can see over T/L Walls with it or any small loops that small killers rely on to mindgame,
It needs to be removed 100% imho,
if they take away j-flick. take away Stretch in that same patch..
To see over T/L walls you'd have to stretch it ridiculously far (like beyond 1:1), which no one does, so that isn't really a problem. In terms of looping it only really makes a difference at smaller loops with lower than normal walls. Skill is still far, far superior when it comes to advantages in a chase than stretched res is. I'm not saying there isn't an advantage at all, I'm just saying it's considerably smaller than a lot of people think it is.
If they remove stretched then that's their decision, but they should at least consider mitigating the consequences for people who use it for legitimate reasons. Some people rely on stretched to get a playable, stable FPS because the game isn't optimized that well.
They should also probably add an FOV slider in the settings.