Why are blink-attacks considered basic?

This is a question that has been bothering me for a while.

I'm sure we all know the common rule. If the hit is done with your power, then it considered a special attack and is not affected by perks such as Surge or Sloppy Butcher.

Hag, Spirit, and Wraith are exceptions but I can see why. Hag just teleports with the attack itself having no unique properties. Spirit and Wraith are the same, but their lunges are extended due to temporarily keeping their speed boost when coming out of phase/cloak.

Alright, fine. The exceptions so far are still normal attacks with no unique properties in the attack itself. Compare this to Blight's lethal rush which has a unique hitbox, can't collide with anything except survivors, restricted turning, etc.

However... this is not true for Nurse. Her post-blink lunge does have unique properties.

For one, according to Nurse mains that I know, the hitbox of a post-blink lunge is bigger than a standard lunge. I mean, it does make sense as to why from a gameplay perspective, but still, it's a unique property to an attack that is still considered basic.

This is obvious but after landing a hit, Nurse doesn't do the weapon wipe animation like the above 3 exceptions. Instead, she gets fatigued which serves a similar purpose but is still different from the standard basic attack.

Another unique property is the lunge range. A post-blink attack does not have the same range as a standard lunge, which again, makes sense from a gameplay standpoint given the larger hitbox but is another unique property.

Let's contrast this with Pig. Pig's ambush does get a weapon-wipe animation and deals 1 state of damage, but is considered a special attack due to it basically being a massive lunge. It's unique so it's not basic, whereas Nurse's blink-attacks are also unique yet are still considered basic. It doesn't make any sense.

And before any of you say, "if Nurse/Hag/Spirit/Wraith was released today...."

Guys, they have gone back and changed this in the past. Legion's Frenzy and Pig's ambush used to be considered basic. They have 0 problems changing it but haven't done so for Nurse. I'm not advocating for making blink-attacks be considered special attacks, I just want to know why.

Comments

  • Because reasons.

    Blight's attacks aren't basic, but Nurse's are.

  • @Profezia said:

    Because reasons.

    Blight's attacks aren't basic, but Nurse's are.

    It probably is a basic attack because she cannot do normal basic attacks like any other Killer can do due to her base movement speed, also the blink attack acts like a normal basic attack with a slightly lowered duration.

    As for Blight he cannot turn freely, which doesn't act like a normal basic attack.

  • It's just weird BHVR stuff. I think they've settled on a formula for future killers, but they are worried about implimenting it for older ones.

  • I've never understood why Nurse and Deathslinger attacks get normal attack properties. Nurse I can somewhat get, since she'd be unable to hit most of her attacks without her power, but I feel like they should change Deathslingers cause NOED with him is just stupid. If Legions Frenzy doesn't work with NOED then why should his? I'm comparing these two cause they both do deep wound damage.

  • @CakeDuty said:

    I've never understood why Nurse and Deathslinger attacks get normal attack properties. Nurse I can somewhat get, since she'd be unable to hit most of her attacks without her power, but I feel like they should change Deathslingers cause NOED with him is just stupid. If Legions Frenzy doesn't work with NOED then why should his? I'm comparing these two cause they both do deep wound damage.

    It's so fun when survivors are tbagging deathslinger on the gates and he fishes one with NOED... This needs to stay

  • Does the Nurse's M1 have different properties when coming out of a blink compared to when she normally does it?

  • Since she cant M1 regularly because she is slower than the Survivors it makes sense the blink attack functions as regular M1.

  • I may be wrong, I need an original player to confirm, but I think when Nurse was introduced she didn't have the fatigue after blinking she did her normal weapon wipe. But she was all sorts of OP. So they reworked add ons, took away a blink, and added the fatigue to make her more fair.


    Deathslinger, Nurse and Hag are a good comparison. Hag teleports to her trap then swings for an m1. Slinger shoots and reals you in to then have to m1 for a hit. Nurse blinks, maybe blinks again, then she m1s to hit.

  • Because she would be junk if they didn’t?

    Killers like Blight, Billy etc can all get hits easily without using their power. Nurse can not.

    The basic attacks rule needs to go btw for a lot of perks, knock out and surge being 2 examples.

  • @TAG said:

    Does the Nurse's M1 have different properties when coming out of a blink compared to when she normally does it?

    From what I've been told? Yes. But I'm hearing contradictory statements since opening this thread, so hell if I know anymore.

  • Nurse doesn't get a bigger hitbox with her blink attacks, and she's the slowest killer baseline without addons. She absolutely has to Blink, it has to be decently often, and she has to be decently successful in order for to actually get returns out of it.

  • For the same reason Deathslinger's reel attack is still considered a basic attack.

  • @PanicSquid said:

    I may be wrong, I need an original player to confirm, but I think when Nurse was introduced she didn't have the fatigue after blinking she did her normal weapon wipe. But she was all sorts of OP. So they reworked add ons, took away a blink, and added the fatigue to make her more fair.

    Deathslinger, Nurse and Hag are a good comparison. Hag teleports to her trap then swings for an m1. Slinger shoots and reals you in to then have to m1 for a hit. Nurse blinks, maybe blinks again, then she m1s to hit.

    you are wrong.

    https://youtu.be/uB-mpJE82VE?t=63

    she always had fatigue

  • You're forgetting one simple point.

    Every single one of the killers you mentioned can literally chase a survivor down, their movement speeds are 110%+

    Nurse cannot chase anyone down if they run in a straight line, she's literally slower than survivors. So the only way for her to get an attack (outside of the survivors running back into her, etc, which isn't something you can rely on) is to blink and then attack. And it comes with heavy penalties if she misses (fatigue is worse than weapon wipe because she can't see where they're going, and she has to wait for blinks to recharge, as well as being accurate with them in the first place and not having them swallowed, etc).

    By ignoring the obvious difference between Nurse and any other killer in being able to land a hit, you've undermined the entire credibility of your point.

  • @GrimReaperJr1232 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2034841#Comment_2034841

    From what I've been told? Yes. But I'm hearing contradictory statements since opening this thread, so hell if I know anymore.

    She has a longer range base attack, but a shorter lunge. This is the case whether she blinks or not. This is done so that the lunge range boost she gets from her post-blink speed is balanced.

    So in other words that makes her even more reliant on her blinks because she can't lunge as far as any other killer

  • I have a simple answer....

    Because Nurses run speed is literally slower than survivors.

    Default Survivor run speed is 4 m/s

    Her run speed is 3.85 m/s, that makes her a 96.25 % speed killer - .literally the slowest default run speed in the game. She cannot under most circumstances in the game M1 without using her power.

    Ergo, those perks would be utterly pointless to have on her if she couldn't use them post blink.

    Every other slow killer like Deathslinger or Huntress is 4.4 m/s or 110 % speed. Most killers run at 4.6 m/s or 115 %

  • @PlaysByShady said:

    You're forgetting one simple point.

    Every single one of the killers you mentioned can literally chase a survivor down, their movement speeds are 110%+

    Nurse cannot chase anyone down if they run in a straight line, she's literally slower than survivors. So the only way for her to get an attack (outside of the survivors running back into her, etc, which isn't something you can rely on) is to blink and then attack. And it comes with heavy penalties if she misses (fatigue is worse than weapon wipe because she can't see where they're going, and she has to wait for blinks to recharge, as well as being accurate with them in the first place and not having them swallowed, etc).

    By ignoring the obvious difference between Nurse and any other killer in being able to land a hit, you've undermined the entire credibility of your point.

    I see you're also missing an important part.

    I wasn't advocating making Nurse's blink attacks count as special attacks. I was merely asking for an explanation.

  • because how in the earth the nurse will hit you without using a blink. she is slower than you.

  • @GrimReaperJr1232 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2035042#Comment_2035042

    I see you're also missing an important part.

    I wasn't advocating making Nurse's blink attacks count as special attacks. I was merely asking for an explanation.

    Well... being as the explanation was so overwhelmingly simple, one could assume you were trying to make a point with all of the contentions you were raising (i.e. comparing unique properties of her lunge, etc, etc), all of which are predicated on the fact that she is slower than survivors! You wrote a 3-page essay which could have been asked in a single line, and responded to in the same way.

  • @PlaysByShady said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2035064#Comment_2035064

    Well... being as the explanation was so overwhelmingly simple, one could assume you were trying to make a point with all of the contentions you were raising (i.e. comparing unique properties of her lunge, etc, etc), all of which are predicated on the fact that she is slower than survivors! You wrote a 3-page essay which could have been asked in a single line, and responded to in the same way.

    With this game? I've learned not to trust the simple explanation unless it's explicitly stated.