Are Map offerings too powerful?

A prime reason for nerfing Mori's (rightfully so) was the Dev's not wanting an offering to be so powerful. So why are map offerings still in the game? Either side can bring one of these and immediately the game is so much harder for the other side.

It just feels like Map offerings are some of the best things a person can bring that massively change how the game is played, where-as all the other offerings don't do too much or do absolutely nothing other than give more BP.

Comments

  • Some are 100%. When my teammates and I are out for blood, we will burn a Coldwind offering. It´s almost an auto-win with killer friendly rng and a guaranteed 4E if the Killer isn´t going with a MDR+YKYK Spirit or something similar. I find it funny how they haven´t changed them yet, but I won´t complain for the time being lol. It´s nice being handed the win sometimes, even while chilling and not trying too hard.

  • I think map offerings are OP yeah. They can be a pain for both sides. E.g. a ghost face with nurses calling or an impossible skill check doctor choosing Lerys, or a SWF on comms choose Coldwind or Ormond.

    I don't mind playing any map if it's random, but knowing that someone expressly made it so you got that map just irks me a bit.

    One good thing about the new broken medals is I've seen way less map offerings, I think maybe survivors fear the fact Killers will D/C before the game loads, as I think that's a depip at the moment for survivors?

  • They shouldn’t be a thing in my opinion. Not only would it free up more green addons for killers the only people who bring them are to sweat

  • I dont think that Moris and Map Offerings can be compared. Moris were basically a guaranteed win for the Killer, as long as the Survivors were not a lot better than the Killer. Map Offerings certainly can favor one side, but not in such a strong way.

    E.g. I have won quite a lot games on Maps like Haddonfield or Coldwind (or Ormond, pre-rework) when burned by the Surivors, but have only once lost with a (pre-rework) Mori.

    Also, I think it is completely fine that there are Maps which are survivor-sided and Maps which are killer-sided, it is just the case that some Maps swing too much in one direction (mainly Haddonfield, and on Coldwind, I only see Cowshed as really problematic). But pretty sure those will get gameplay-changes when Devs are reworking the graphics.

    IMO Map Offerings should only have two changes:

    • The Map Offering that is not used should not be burned. There is not really a reason why they should be burned (the game even states that unused Offerings are not burned, but for some reason, Map Offerings are burned), and especially for some Killer Builds using an Offering is really important. If I want to play Mirror Myers and burn Lerys and the Survivors burn another Map and they get the Map, I should not lose my Offering, especially because those are the limiting factor of builds like this.
    • Sacrificial Wards should not be burned when no Map Offering is used. This way, players can use them without wasting them. You can only guess with them anyway, so it would be nice if the Sacrificial Wards would be returned if no Map Offering is used.

    But thats about it. Otherwise I dont think that Map Offerings are a problem, especially not once all Maps are reworked.

  • They should definitely reduce them being a guaranteed realm.

  • If the maps themselves weren't overpowered then map offerings wouldn't be a problem.

  • @FengisKawaii said:

    Some are 100%. When my teammates and I are out for blood, we will burn a Coldwind offering. It´s almost an auto-win with killer friendly rng and a guaranteed 4E if the Killer isn´t going with a MDR+YKYK Spirit or something similar. I find it funny how they haven´t changed them yet, but I won´t complain for the time being lol. It´s nice being handed the win sometimes, even while chilling and not trying too hard.

    Exactly. Conversely, if I want an easier time (or I want a map to fit my build) I'll throw on something like Hawkin's, or Lery's (but that's mainly because I play Stealth killers).

  • @JPA said:

    I think map offerings are OP yeah. They can be a pain for both sides. E.g. a ghost face with nurses calling or an impossible skill check doctor choosing Lerys, or a SWF on comms choose Coldwind or Ormond.

    I don't mind playing any map if it's random, but knowing that someone expressly made it so you got that map just irks me a bit.

    One good thing about the new broken medals is I've seen way less map offerings, I think maybe survivors fear the fact Killers will D/C before the game loads, as I think that's a depip at the moment for survivors?

    That's more or less the same way I feel. If I get sent to Midwich or Haddonfield because the game sent me there, whatever. If I get sent there, It's a little bit irritating.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    I dont think that Moris and Map Offerings can be compared. Moris were basically a guaranteed win for the Killer, as long as the Survivors were not a lot better than the Killer. Map Offerings certainly can favor one side, but not in such a strong way.

    E.g. I have won quite a lot games on Maps like Haddonfield or Coldwind (or Ormond, pre-rework) when burned by the Surivors, but have only once lost with a (pre-rework) Mori.

    Also, I think it is completely fine that there are Maps which are survivor-sided and Maps which are killer-sided, it is just the case that some Maps swing too much in one direction (mainly Haddonfield, and on Coldwind, I only see Cowshed as really problematic). But pretty sure those will get gameplay-changes when Devs are reworking the graphics.

    IMO Map Offerings should only have two changes:

    • The Map Offering that is not used should not be burned. There is not really a reason why they should be burned (the game even states that unused Offerings are not burned, but for some reason, Map Offerings are burned), and especially for some Killer Builds using an Offering is really important. If I want to play Mirror Myers and burn Lerys and the Survivors burn another Map and they get the Map, I should not lose my Offering, especially because those are the limiting factor of builds like this.
    • Sacrificial Wards should not be burned when no Map Offering is used. This way, players can use them without wasting them. You can only guess with them anyway, so it would be nice if the Sacrificial Wards would be returned if no Map Offering is used.

    But thats about it. Otherwise I dont think that Map Offerings are a problem, especially not once all Maps are reworked.

    I wasn't directly comparing Maps and Mori's, at least I didn't mean to. I know Mori's were leagues above. I was just saying they're similar in the way they're much more powerful than the other offerings.. When most offerings. do nothing but give you extra BP, make your spawn different, or just increase your luck the power that Map offerings give feel so much more powerful. And up until Blight and Felix were introduced, there was nothing the person getting sent to a map could do. Other than quit the game out in loading, which sucks.

    Other than that, I agree with the idea that map offerings shouldn't be burned if they aren't activated.

  • I would love if they removed the map offerings. I don’t see why they’re in the game. Maps aren’t currently balanced. Some favour survivors and others favour killers. It’s stupid that somebody can tip the balance of the game to their side by simply burning an offering.

  • @NomiNomad said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1962222#Comment_1962222

    Exactly. Conversely, if I want an easier time (or I want a map to fit my build) I'll throw on something like Hawkin's, or Lery's (but that's mainly because I play Stealth killers).

    Oh yeah that can actually be troublesome even for a decent team if the Killer is very, very good. You still wouldn´t be able to really "chill" though to the degree a good team can on Coldwind :D

  • @FengisKawaii said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1962233#Comment_1962233

    Oh yeah that can actually be troublesome even for a decent team if the Killer is very, very good. You still wouldn´t be able to really "chill" though to the degree a good team can on Coldwind :D

    True enough. If I use an offering, most of the time it's just to make sure I don't go to a map like Coldwind.

  • @NomiNomad said:

    A prime reason for nerfing Mori's (rightfully so) was the Dev's not wanting an offering to be so powerful. So why are map offerings still in the game? Either side can bring one of these and immediately the game is so much harder for the other side.

    It just feels like Map offerings are some of the best things a person can bring that massively change how the game is played, where-as all the other offerings don't do too much or do absolutely nothing other than give more BP.

    Completely agree. Survivors can make a build based on a map (e.g. balanced landing for haddonfield) how is that not OP?

  • Map offerings are fine as is. The problem is the maps themselves. Stop blaming the bullet for problems with the gun.

  • @Ohnoes said:

    Map offerings are fine as is. The problem is the maps themselves. Stop blaming the bullet for problems with the gun.

    @Leachy_Jr said:

    If the maps themselves weren't overpowered then map offerings wouldn't be a problem.

    Outside of some very specific killer builds, using a map offering shouldn't have such an impact on a trial. The fact that they can indicates how unbalanced those maps are, not problems with any offerings.

    If I am surviving and get a bunch of indoor maps in a row, that's the time I'll put up map offerings to get outside some.

  • Not a solution unfortunately. It's hard to guess when you are against a SWF or someone who is going to run an offering, so most of the time you would be wasting these.

    Or you could play them every match and then waste a ton of BP just to keep them stocked up on each Killer.

    Nah I'll just D/C on load lol

  • If they had been in from the start it would have been good but for people like me they came after I had all killers fully perked so I've only got the odd few. They aren't too easy to grind either.

    If I had 50 or so of these like I do moris I'd use them way more often