SWF calling out hex locations

Was in a SWF game chasing a survivor who happened to stumble upon a very well-hidden 2-token DH hex (so no signs to the survivors it existed yet). I'm thinking "crap, there goes the hex". I down and hook the survivor and, sure enough, while doubling back to the hex it was cleansed.

SMH

Comments

  • It happens.

    Had a match against 4 man SWF with a streamer. Rewatched the vod and the first survivor I chased immediately called out the totem when we ran past it and it was cleansed just as I hooked her.

    I still killed them all but it really sucks when your totem is out in the open and the SWF can talk to each other to destroy them.

  • I've cleansed hidden totems shortly after a Teammate runs by while being chased when I'm playing solo. It's usually just luck I was nearby and heard the crackling of the fire.

  • @bm33 said:

    I've cleansed hidden totems shortly after a Teammate runs by while being chased when I'm playing solo. It's usually just luck I was nearby and heard the crackling of the fire.

    Literally yesterday i had cleansed a huntress lullaby after my teamate called it out. Nerf undying btw. Could behavior at least slightly consider slight exclusive swf nerfs. Its absurd how both solo and swf is balanced under the same rules. Start with minor healing, cleansing, gen progression changes to compensate for the efficiency swf brings.

  • Ruin is extremely unreliable for this reason; but it's incredibly powerful if left up.

    That is why undying is so incredibly powerful right now.

    However after the undying nerf, I feel a lot of people are going to get a crash course in how bad using 2 perk slots just to keep ruin up for 2 minutes instead of like 60 seconds is.

    It might regress gens by like, 2 or 3 kicks of pop at most- is that really worth two perk slots?

  • @Zarathos said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1883644#Comment_1883644

    Literally yesterday i had cleansed a huntress lullaby after my teamate called it out. Nerf undying btw. Could behavior at least slightly consider slight exclusive swf nerfs. Its absurd how both solo and swf is balanced under the same rules. Start with minor healing, cleansing, gen progression changes to compensate for the efficiency swf brings.

    I didn't say swf don't call out hex totems to eachother. I just pointed out as a solo player I've cleansed hex totems my random teammates have been run off of or have run by during a chase.

    Nerfing swf will hurt the solos that get paired with them. Instead buff solo and killer.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1883696#Comment_1883696

    I didn't say swf don't call out hex totems to eachother. I just pointed out as a solo player I've cleansed hex totems my random teammates have been run off of or have run by during a chase.

    Nerfing swf will hurt the solos that get paired with them. Instead buff solo and killer.

    tbf that has been what they have been doing more or less. The game is slowly being balanced around SWF being a thing; and them trying to give solo queue survivors far more options of communication/information so that the bridge between the two is smaller.

    Statistically (unless BHVR has been lying about the stats) it's been working fairly well also.

  • The game was not designed with Survivors SWF using voice comms, in mind.

    Now however, it has to be changed as such.

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1883762#Comment_1883762

    what if they implemented a chat feature, so to even the grounds between solo and swf. Then balanced killer around that?

    Just some food for thought

    That makes no sense, as it makes the communication between Survivors even more enabled, and the situation worse for Killers, as it bypasses perks etc.

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884015#Comment_1884015

    Didn't you read the last sentence, about how killers could be balanced around it. Imagine old undying coming back because swf is now permanently an option in every game friend or not. Or no more nerfs to things like pop or other killer perks. Maybe even a bp boost to BBQ. The things they could do to balance it would be endless, and to be honest I'd rather that then have an instant loss against swf. This system allows for it all to be accounted for and therefore balance the game state

    The problem with SWF on voice comms, is that they can communicate things they otherwise would not be able to/aware of.

    Adding an in-game chat makes that even worse, and would enable that to even non-SWF non-voice Survivors.

    Your suggestion directly makes that issue WORSE.

  • It's another feature of the fifth perk called "discord". Best perk in the game

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884033#Comment_1884033

    Yes, in some aspects it's worse, but to allow them to truly balance killer against swf this would need to be implemented. Because then the perks can be buffed/ other perks nerfed to the necessary degree.

    Adding an in-game chat just even further enables Survivors to share information, coordinate perks, actions etc, that they now cannot/are not aware of. It specifically makes the existing problem of communication between Survivors MULTIPLICATIVELY WORSE.

    Your "solution" would be like cutting off one of the Killers legs, so that they can be "balanced" around jumping around on only one leg.

    -------------

    Balancing needs to happen around making Killer perks operate in a way, that possible Survivor communication is NOT an effective counter to them.

  • For example:

    Doctors Madness effects on Skill Checks is something that SWF on voice comms cant counter, as the effects are intrinsic to the Survivor themself.

    Thats the kind of balancing/design needed to mitigate against the COMMUNICATION that SWF on voice comms can leverage, which makes huge swathes of Killer perks/abilities etc, and many Killers, largely irrelevant and not worth slotting, much less investing into.

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884042#Comment_1884042

    Read my messages again

    IM SAYING THEY CAN BUFF KILLERS AND THEIR PERKS DAMMIT

    if you allow for harder gameplay but counterbalance with killer buffs and perk buffs (longer gen speeds, undying goes back etc..) then you can balance it.

    It's not like cutting off the killers legs, it's like giving survivors a Pogo stick whilst killers could potentially get a rocket

    I read and understand what you mean, but its categorically false, for the reasons I have stated above.

    The PROBLEM IS SURVIVORS COMMUNICATING/COOPERATING WHAT THEY SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO/BE AWARE OF IN-GAME.

    Adding an in-game chat would make that EVEN WORSE.

    --------

    You aren't understand what the problem is

  • For example:

    Perk descriptions may vary from in-game descriptions for reasons explained here.Perks support Mouse-over functionality (desktop version only): hovering over the modifier words with your cursor will reveal the values behind them.On mobile browsers, the values are displayed in small text after the modifier words. Desktop users experiencing issues with the mouse-over may temporarily switch to mobile view at the bottom of an Article page. Knock Out is a teachable Unique Cannibal Perk . It can be unl

    This is rendered completely useless, when Survivors are able to communicate where the slugged Survivor is (despite there being no in-game indication), whether by voice comms, or even worse, if there was an in-game chat.

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884062#Comment_1884062

    Then how do we balance swf, because I can't see a reasonable answer said except remove them. If you cannot come up with a suggestion , then what else are we meant to do except remove them as they destabilise the whole game as we all pretty much agree. And removing them would annoy a lot of people, especially console (that's where I see most swf)

    read

    @Rhoska said:

    For example:

    Doctors Madness effects on Skill Checks is something that SWF on voice comms cant counter, as the effects are intrinsic to the Survivor themself.

    Thats the kind of balancing/design needed to mitigate against the COMMUNICATION that SWF on voice comms can leverage, which makes huge swathes of Killer perks/abilities etc, and many Killers, largely irrelevant and not worth slotting, much less investing into.


  • PS: There is no way to remove SWF from using 3rd party voice comms.

    Its impossible to detect, stop, block in anyway by Steam, DbD or anything else.

    As such, the deliterious effects of SWF communicating OUTSIDE of the game, has to be remedied by balancing/design internally of it in such a way, that the leverage advantage of Survivors communicating is reduced.

    That means making Killer Perks (and Survivor perks) of such a nature, that the ability to communicate does not affect them.

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884077#Comment_1884077

    so what exactly are you saying? Make tracking perks better? Make it so skill checks are harder? Make it so that killers like doctor are even better? All these would negatively effect solo queue.

    Design/develop with the specific issue in mind, that perks etc should have effects which cannot be overstepped-negated by communication between Survivors.

    The problem is Survivor communication. Since that cannot be removed, the only remaining option is to design/develop in such a manner that that communication has as little impact on the match as possible.

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884099#Comment_1884099

    But how?

    For example let's take hex perks, aside from removing totems how do we balance them?

    For insidious-how do we change that?

    For trapper and Hag and other people with things that you place-freddy, Demi. How do we change them?

    "But how?"

    By asking "Can this perk be made useless by Survivors communicating?"

    If so, then change it in its effect to something that CANNOT be mitigated by communication between Survivors.

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884107#Comment_1884107

    can you think of how you'd change these 3 examples? Because you need to think about the limitations and actual realist expectations your putting on them. They need to find solutions to a lot of perks, skills and add ons. And do you have any idea how they would do this?

    Its not my job to figure out how to do it.

    Im pointing out that inorder to do so, it requires a complete shift in the design/development philosophy to specifically account for the fact that Survivor communication is the problem, and that perks etc need to be balanced/implemented around reducing the leverage/advantage of that to as low a level as possible.

    As I stated earlier, Doctors Madness effect is one example of how Killer has an affect on Survivors that is NOT mitigable by communication, because it intrinsically effects the Survivor in such a way that communication about it is irrelevant.

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884119#Comment_1884119

    It's like saying change DS, but not knowing a fair change to it that allows it to stop tunneling but not be abused .

    How old are you?

    Your only suggestion was in-game chat, which just MAKES CONCRETE THAT SURVIVORS COMMUNICATE, EVEN IF THEY ARENT ON VOICE?

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884151#Comment_1884151

    No, my suggestion was in game chat, buff killers and make sure everyone is on an equal footing. The age comment really shows your underlying immaturity. You cannot combat a point so must look for adhomnyms and other ways to make my point seem less valid. Your suggestion, which was more like wishful thinking as you had no idea how to implement it, was that we should make communication less effective by..... Taking it into account? That's not even a suggestion. You sound like a guy who got called out, couldn't defend his position and is now helplessly floundering about trying to get some kind of win that you can get and clutch it with both hands. Stop being childish and actually think about your position. I'm sure you can think of something. All I asked for was 3 examples of how you would do it and you can't and threw a temper tantrum about how it's "not your job to think about this ". Grow up.

    You are the one that childishly demands concrete solutions for how to do what I proposed, when you have provided no better.

    You still are failing completely to understand, that the PROBLEM IS SURVIVORS COMMUNICATING.

    That is the issue that needs to be worked with, and around, and putting in a in-game chat literally makes that 1000% worse.

  • @Woot1234 said:

    Was in a SWF game chasing a survivor who happened to stumble upon a very well-hidden 2-token DH hex (so no signs to the survivors it existed yet). I'm thinking "crap, there goes the hex". I down and hook the survivor and, sure enough, while doubling back to the hex it was cleansed.

    SMH

    If you ask nicely, BHVR will give killers a fifth Perk slot to compensate for the figurative one survivors have.

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884182#Comment_1884182

    You also haven't thought about the effect doing your suggestion would have on solo queue, as your only thought is about changing things to benefit you, and mine is to balance the game.

    Describe to us, specifically:

    What do you think is the problem with SWF having unfair advantage in this game?

    What is it about SWF that is problematic, specifically?

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884204#Comment_1884204

    The fact that information is distributed, meaning that people can do gens safely knowing where the killer is and is going at all times. They also know who the killer is before they meet them, removing and element of surprise from some killers like ghostface and pig. They can coordinate perks and plays can be done between survivors due to their overall ability to coordinate. They don't get screwed over by random survivors and them making it a 3 gen, they can get a key and easily 3-4 man escape. There is a plethora of features a survive with friends has over killer, and just allowing perks communication protection (e.g removing totems) won't sort it out.

    And the problem with them is that killers are balanced to solo queue, not swf, meaning that they are ill equipt to deal with swf.

    "The fact that information is distributed"

    And how, specifically, is that information distributed by SWF?

    "They can coordinate perks and plays can be done between survivors due to their overall ability to coordinate."

    What, specifically, makes that coordination possible?

  • How about two killers in a match on comms? "You patrol the north half of the map and I'll watch the south half." LOL Let the carnage commence...

  • @Chicagopimp2019 said:

    How about two killers in a match on comms? "You patrol the north half of the map and I'll watch the south half." LOL Let the carnage commence...

    Oooh, yeah, 8 perks worth of killa FTW. And give them an auto-shut-hatch Perk!

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1883696#Comment_1883696

    I didn't say swf don't call out hex totems to eachother. I just pointed out as a solo player I've cleansed hex totems my random teammates have been run off of or have run by during a chase.

    Nerfing swf will hurt the solos that get paired with them. Instead buff solo and killer.

    Finally someone who didn't get it backwards.

  • @Alphamav said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884234#Comment_1884234

    Oooh, yeah, 8 perks worth of killa FTW. And give them an auto-shut-hatch Perk!

    I like where this is going....lol....

  • @Rhoska said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884177#Comment_1884177

    You are the one that childishly demands concrete solutions for how to do what I proposed, when you have provided no better.

    You still are failing completely to understand, that the PROBLEM IS SURVIVORS COMMUNICATING.

    That is the issue that needs to be worked with, and around, and putting in a in-game chat literally makes that 1000% worse.

    Survivors in a SWF communicate. There’s no way to unring that bell. It isn’t limited to communicating about the killer, but here are some examples of things SWF can communicate that solos can’t:

    • The killer (“It’s a Ghostface, be careful”)
    • The killer’s perks (“They beelined right to me healing, they probably have Nurse’s”)
    • The killer’s add ons (“That Hag trap didn’t notify me so she has Rusty Shackles”)
    • Totems (“There’s a lit totem in shack” / “I’ve cleansed four dulls so only one left”)
    • Survivor perks (“I have Adrenaline so finish the gen before you rescue me” / “I don’t have BT but you do, you go for the rescue”)
    • Hook states (“I’m on death hook, try to take hits for me”)
    • Survivor items (“I have a medkit with full charges, do the gen” / “My flashlight is depleted so I can’t save you”)
    • Map layout and pallets (“Shack pallet is gone” / “This side of the map is a dead zone, don’t run here”)
    • Where they’re being chased (“Being chased around shack”)
    • Which gens are being worked on (“Doing the gen in the main building”)
    • Gate progress (“The gate on the left is 99d”)
    • The killer’s playstyle (“He doesn’t mindgame at all and just holds W” / “He’s camping around the corner so do gens”)

    Etc. etc. etc. I’m sure you get my point.

    How could the devs possibly change this? They’d have to completely rework the game from the ground up. While you’re right that considering how information sharing affects killers is important (and they do seem to be doing this more), it’s impossible for them to redesign enough existing gameplay elements so that effective communication makes no difference.

    That’s why people talk about giving solos more information or an easier means of sharing information. Because then survivors are on more of an even playing field, and from there they can buff killers further. If solos were able to communicate like SWFs they may not have nerfed Undying, for example, because it’s less of an issue for a SWF. And they can buff every killer who isn’t Freddy or Nurse or Spirit.

  • Sounds like a lot of people are running naked hex perks. If we know they can be called out, why are we leaving them vulnerable? Smh my head. Don't just run Devour and nothing else. Ruin/Devour/Haunted. Gg

  • This is why i dont use Hex Perks

  • @xenotimebong said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884182#Comment_1884182

    Survivors in a SWF communicate. There’s no way to unring that bell. It isn’t limited to communicating about the killer, but here are some examples of things SWF can communicate that solos can’t:

    • The killer (“It’s a Ghostface, be careful”)
    • The killer’s perks (“They beelined right to me healing, they probably have Nurse’s”)
    • The killer’s add ons (“That Hag trap didn’t notify me so she has Rusty Shackles”)
    • Totems (“There’s a lit totem in shack” / “I’ve cleansed four dulls so only one left”)
    • Survivor perks (“I have Adrenaline so finish the gen before you rescue me” / “I don’t have BT but you do, you go for the rescue”)
    • Hook states (“I’m on death hook, try to take hits for me”)
    • Survivor items (“I have a medkit with full charges, do the gen” / “My flashlight is depleted so I can’t save you”)
    • Map layout and pallets (“Shack pallet is gone” / “This side of the map is a dead zone, don’t run here”)
    • Where they’re being chased (“Being chased around shack”)
    • Which gens are being worked on (“Doing the gen in the main building”)
    • Gate progress (“The gate on the left is 99d”)
    • The killer’s playstyle (“He doesn’t mindgame at all and just holds W” / “He’s camping around the corner so do gens”)

    Etc. etc. etc. I’m sure you get my point.

    How could the devs possibly change this? They’d have to completely rework the game from the ground up. While you’re right that considering how information sharing affects killers is important (and they do seem to be doing this more), it’s impossible for them to redesign enough existing gameplay elements so that effective communication makes no difference.

    That’s why people talk about giving solos more information or an easier means of sharing information. Because then survivors are on more of an even playing field, and from there they can buff killers further. If solos were able to communicate like SWFs they may not have nerfed Undying, for example, because it’s less of an issue for a SWF. And they can buff every killer who isn’t Freddy or Nurse or Spirit.

    You dont fix the problems resulting from x (in this case SWF communication) by adding MORE of x (more SWF communication.

    Its literally ######### and shooting the patient.

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884232#Comment_1884232

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884292#Comment_1884292

    That's what I was trying to say the whole time SMH.

    Thank you for articulating it in a possibly better fashion though.

    Look at how many posts I've made on this post trying to explain it but he won't get it.

    I know that is what you where "trying to say".

    But it doesnt change how utterly wrong you are, and how utterly unfeasible that is.

  • @Rhoska said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884402#Comment_1884402

    I know that is what you where "trying to say".

    But it doesnt change how utterly wrong you are, and how utterly unfeasible that is.

    Nothing you’ve said is feasible. It’s impossible to make this game have no benefit to a swf on voice commS over solos, unless they give solos the ability to communicate too

  • @ilovedbd123 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884015#Comment_1884015

    Didn't you read the last sentence, about how killers could be balanced around it. Imagine old undying coming back because swf is now permanently an option in every game friend or not. Or no more nerfs to things like pop or other killer perks. Maybe even a bp boost to BBQ. The things they could do to balance it would be endless, and to be honest I'd rather that then have an instant loss against swf. This system allows for it all to be accounted for and therefore balance the game state

    This. I think that the best thing the devs could do is make soloQ as powerful as SWF giving them communication tools (that SWF already has), and then buffing the killers + buffing/reworking perks around that. Perks that are redundant when you're in comms (like Kindred, Bond, etc) could be changed into something else, and perks/killers that are specially weak against comms (say Trapper for example, or hex perks, or literally anything else that applies, I'm typing as I think so I might forget some stuff lol) could be buffed/changed so that they can face SWF more properly, since every match would become SWF-ish.

    Comms are not going away. The devs might as well provide the comms tools to soloQ players and balance the game around that.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Sounds like a lot of people are running naked hex perks. If we know they can be called out, why are we leaving them vulnerable? Smh my head. Don't just run Devour and nothing else. Ruin/Devour/Haunted. Gg

    Maybe I was running a backup hex perk like Undying / HG and they took that down already. In either case, needing to use a second perk to prolong the life of a hex may mitigate, but is really unrelated to the matter of imbalance between SWF and non-SWF.

  • @xenotimebong said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1884182#Comment_1884182

    Survivors in a SWF communicate. There’s no way to unring that bell. It isn’t limited to communicating about the killer, but here are some examples of things SWF can communicate that solos can’t:

    • The killer (“It’s a Ghostface, be careful”)
    • The killer’s perks (“They beelined right to me healing, they probably have Nurse’s”)
    • The killer’s add ons (“That Hag trap didn’t notify me so she has Rusty Shackles”)
    • Totems (“There’s a lit totem in shack” / “I’ve cleansed four dulls so only one left”)
    • Survivor perks (“I have Adrenaline so finish the gen before you rescue me” / “I don’t have BT but you do, you go for the rescue”)
    • Hook states (“I’m on death hook, try to take hits for me”)
    • Survivor items (“I have a medkit with full charges, do the gen” / “My flashlight is depleted so I can’t save you”)
    • Map layout and pallets (“Shack pallet is gone” / “This side of the map is a dead zone, don’t run here”)
    • Where they’re being chased (“Being chased around shack”)
    • Which gens are being worked on (“Doing the gen in the main building”)
    • Gate progress (“The gate on the left is 99d”)
    • The killer’s playstyle (“He doesn’t mindgame at all and just holds W” / “He’s camping around the corner so do gens”)

    Etc. etc. etc. I’m sure you get my point.

    How could the devs possibly change this? They’d have to completely rework the game from the ground up. While you’re right that considering how information sharing affects killers is important (and they do seem to be doing this more), it’s impossible for them to redesign enough existing gameplay elements so that effective communication makes no difference.

    That’s why people talk about giving solos more information or an easier means of sharing information. Because then survivors are on more of an even playing field, and from there they can buff killers further. If solos were able to communicate like SWFs they may not have nerfed Undying, for example, because it’s less of an issue for a SWF. And they can buff every killer who isn’t Freddy or Nurse or Spirit.

    I've been saying for years that they just need to add ingame voice chat so every group of survivors has the same capability for coordination.

    Asymmetrical games either be balanced for group coordination or balanced for solo queue and still be fun for both sides. You cannot do both, because the 'fun for both sides' part is what goes out the window instead in that scenario.