Franklin's Demise is not fun to play against

Franklin's Demise is at the very top of my list of things I do not like about this game. Every time I go up against a killer that uses it I literally just feel like giving up. I have never had a fun or interesting match against this perk. I never have enough time to retrieve my item because after you get hit you have to either lose the killer in a chase or get unhooked quick enough to get the item back and in both situations I lose my item most of the time. I am so hesitant to play anything above a yellow item in fear that its just going to get deleted with franklins.

I think this perk needs to have some changes. Instead of knocking the item out of your hand, make the item unusable for a short amount of time. How about 30 seconds or even a minute? That way you at least have a chance to use the item and escape with it rather than having to worry about trying to recover it again.

Comments

  • @PureHostility said:

    OP you sound like one of the most stereotypical survivor main that ever existed.

    Your egotistical point of view heavily blinds your perception of the game.

    As a fellow player who has been here since release, playing both sides equally (solo surv or killer; preferring survivor now due to being easier/more relaxing), I can easily tell you that Franklin's isn't a problem and never really was.

    At best it allows killers to cope with survivor's bullcrapping (in 90% done by SWF teams). Can be used with certain killers for a better downing potential (Hag and Trapper) or just to complete some challenges if needed.

    Otherwise it is a waste. Mostly used when keys are in play, as other items aren't as powerful as they once were.

    If you want a key in game for whatever stupid reason (you toxic courtesan), just bring plunderes instinct and appraisal. Congratulations, you will loot pink maps and pink/purple keys EVERY game... .

    So there goes your silly argument about these items being "rare" or "hard to come by".

    I would recommend playing both sides so you actually start understanding the game's balance and state and will save you from sounding like a completely biased newbie.

    I should not have to play plunderer's and appraisal every match. I'm sorry if you don't agree with me but my opinion is that this game is extremely hard for survivors and extremely easy for killers. I have also played both sides. Its so easy to find, down and hook survivors that I literally don't care to play killer anymore. In fact I felt bad for them at how easy it was after literally just a few games of me playing killer. On the other hand I have most of my nearly 1000 hours played in this game devoted to playing survivor and I still die most of my games. How is that fair? How is that balanced? I don't consider myself great at the same but I also don't consider myself bad at it either. I think I play well enough to at least be able to have a fair chance at winning but I hardly ever feel like I have a fair chance at getting anything done.

  • Survivor brings item, killer uses Franklin's, survivor may or may not get that item back. Survivor may be able to find a new item in a chest.

    Killer brings hex, survivor cleanses hex, killer has lost an entire perk for the rest of the match.

    Both sides have gambles, only it's much rarer for a killer to bring Franklin's than it is for survivors to cleanse a hex.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    Survivor brings item, killer uses Franklin's, survivor may or may not get that item back. Survivor may be able to find a new item in a chest.

    Killer brings hex, survivor cleanses hex, killer has lost an entire perk for the rest of the match.

    Both sides have gambles, only it's much rarer for a killer to bring Franklin's than it is for survivors to cleanse a hex.

    Killers have power and perks. Survivors have items and perks. My item gets depleted fast or can be lost from franklins or death. I can't stop the killer's power.

  • I can not think of any other perk as balanced as Franklins Demise. It is the only perk in the entire game able to counter toxic items like med-kits, flashlights, and keys. You take that away and then I am mad :(

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1869539#Comment_1869539

    Killers have power and perks. Survivors have items and perks. My item gets depleted fast or can be lost from franklins or death. I can't stop the killer's power.

    The devs often design killers so that their powers can be countered in some way, whether with perks or in-game mechanics. Franklin's Demise is the killer perk for countering survivor items.

  • @Sunbreaker7 said:

    I can not think of any other perk as balanced as Franklins Demise. It is the only perk in the entire game able to counter toxic items like med-kits, flashlights, and keys. You take that away and then I am mad :(

    Med kits, flashlights and keys are not toxic items. I would not even play this game if those items were any less useful than they currently are and there isn't much in the game right now really keeping me there. Pressure from killers is how to counter items not a perk that can delete it from the game.

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856277#Comment_1856277

    The perk is not fine. Flashlights and keys are not toxic. Flashlights give the survivors a chance to save their team mates when no pallet is nearby. In all the times I have tried to do it I have pulled it off I think maybe 3 times. Keys are also not toxic. They give survivors a backup plan for when either killers are playing toxic or when you're the last one and a door play is out of the question. Franklins is a means to further limit the survivors ability to escape against what often is not so good odds. Your solution of "learn to play without items" does not address the problem here and is a very one sided perspective. Items are meant to be played when you want because you had to play to earn them. Why should I restrict myself on that option? It is not one of the most balanced perks in the game. A perk that literally deletes your items that you spent blood points on (which by the way are not always easy to obtain playing survivor) is not in anyway balanced or fair.

    ”Give survivors a backup plan when the killer is playing toxic..” Any argument you have is now just disregarded, survivors don’t use keys to have a back up plan because the killer is toxic, they bring keys so they have a back up plan if they are gonna lose, just because a killer is winning the game doesn’t make them toxic. The key is stupid strong and is a big reason why Franklins got buffed. Franklins is perfectly fine where it is and is a well balanced perk for dealing with items. Sorry you can’t use your free escape keys and get your flashlight saves countered.

  • It's more complex than it sounds. This perk has a huge impact on the game, the whole game.

    Obviously during a game, but not only. This has an effect in the lobby, for both the killer and the survivors, also impacting the balancing. It also impacts the economy of BPs for survivors.

    Killers see items brought in by survivors in the lobby, so they can be tricked into using that perk over another. Same thing for Lightborn. These are exceptions in perks, offering a potentially huge advantage for the killer, which can greatly guarantee the usefulness of a perk even before the start of the game. To counter this, survivors change items just before the start of the game, sometimes by being coordinated. It seems to me that this situation displeases the killers, who forget their real advantage in the lobby too...

    Franklin's Demise also urges survivors not to use their best items (which can potentially become completely useless during a game, and disappear even if they manage to escape). Special mention for the key (and flashlight with Lightborn), since the killers can see it in the lobby. Losing a powerful item because of this perk is extremely frustrating. Not only because of its usefulness in the game but... because the survivors must also buy them.

    I can hear killers like this perk, so I have a few (not new) suggestions that might improve the situation without changing this perk:

    • Killers no longer see items brought by survivors in the lobby. It's unpleasant, but in my opinion necessary, and
    • each item only exists in one type of rarity/power, are in unlimited quantity (survivors just choose the item they want to use), and no longer appear in their bloodwebs (replaced by more addons), and
    • the items are obviously re-balanced (of a fixed, average power, for each item), including the key (since in unlimited quantity) being able to undergo an important nerf (such as allowing the escape only to the survivor with a key) .


    I think this makes it easier to balance items (and addons), it allows survivors to get more addons (don't forget that now survivors also systematically lose their addons, except when using a perk), to no longer hesitate concerning the use of an item because of its rarity (and therefore its value), this smoothes the usefulness of FD (since any item would have an approximately equivalent utility/power), this brings the survivors closer to how killers work in that they can choose a power for free (excluding addons)...

    However, this poses other questions: do we need fewer chests in-game? you also need to change some survivor perks that influence chests, and Lightborn probably needs to be less specific.

    These are major changes in DBD, but in my opinion, they are healthy, and allow us to provide answers everywhere, including FD.

  • Why is franklins demise still the way it is? This perk is so ridiculously unfun to play against that I literally just will not play against killers that run it anymore. I'm done with it. I'm sick of killers being able to delete my items giving me little to no chance to recover it. As if its not enough to go up against killers as they are with everything else, this perk is just like extra dessert for killers. AT THE VERY LEAST any item that franklins deletes from the match should be returned to the survivor when the match is over. If prevented the item from being used in the match. Theres no need to permanently delete it from their character.

  • Killers still can lose with franklins demise, this is not op perk

  • @KateMain86 said:

    Franklin's Demise is at the very top of my list of things I do not like about this game. Every time I go up against a killer that uses it I literally just feel like giving up. I have never had a fun or interesting match against this perk. I never have enough time to retrieve my item because after you get hit you have to either lose the killer in a chase or get unhooked quick enough to get the item back and in both situations I lose my item most of the time. I am so hesitant to play anything above a yellow item in fear that its just going to get deleted with franklins.

    I think this perk needs to have some changes. Instead of knocking the item out of your hand, make the item unusable for a short amount of time. How about 30 seconds or even a minute? That way you at least have a chance to use the item and escape with it rather than having to worry about trying to recover it again.

    It is just an item and the killer wastes an entire perk slot for it. What are you complaining about. Also I think since the Franklins change I lost one item to actually despawning it.

  • @Erak said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/217510/franklins-demise-is-not-fun-to-play-against

    It is just an item and the killer wastes an entire perk slot for it. What are you complaining about. Also I think since the Franklins change I lost one item to actually despawning it.

    I have lost several items I did not even get to use to franklins. I don't know how often you play items or how often you've been against franklins but for me it usually doesn't end well. When I see this perk being used I immediately want to close the game and play something else.

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1868780#Comment_1868780

    "I can play a chill survivor match and still do pretty well."

    Are we playing the same game? This literally does not happen for me in purple+ ranks. Like literally never. Maybe in some green-20 matches but never for me in anything else. Also an addon that would disable franklin's would not be unfair. Franklins is always played at a risk (is that a brown or purple toolbox). It should NOT have continuous unstoppable power the entire match and no I should not have to hide my item somewhere to prevent it from being deleted by franklins. I have had my item knocked out of my hand over 5 times in a single match. THAT is too much power. Just like how I feel about Hex DH. It has too much power. They should not be able to instant down and kill you too. Franklins at most should only disable you from being able to use the item for a duration of time. It should not remove it from your hand. It should not cause the item to self delete after a short duration. It is not fun to play against and it is very unfair to survivors. All we get is points to buy items to use in our matches. A killer perk that literally is able to delete them is completely ridiculous, unfun and unfair.

    Excuse me?

    I am a red rank survivor and I have more chill plays there than when playing killer on rank 6 and above.

    Why should you get an add-on that counters FD? You have a LOT of possibilities to counter that perk (I mentioned them all above) you just need to USE them! You don't need an add-on because you are too lazy to think and act on your own.

    "My item got hit out my hand 5 times in a match. That is too much!"

    I wonder why you still had that item after the fist 2 times.... Just use it! It's not that hard! Toolboxes are gone in seconds anyway and medkit have 2 heals ideally. Not that hard to get rid of either.

    Or were you just sad that you couldn't bully the Killer with your flashlight? Or that you couldn't find all his totems/the hatch with a map? Or that you couldn't get an ez escape with a key?

    "Devour Hope is too powerful. Instant downing and Mori is too much"

    What? Say that again? Finding and cleansing a totem is too much? No? You can't find them? Hmmmmm use your brain and memorize the spawns. Use Small Game. Or use your eyes and ears. Devour Soup is fine.

    "FD should prevent you from using the item for a certain duration."E

    How long? Everything under 120s is bullshit since you usually spend some time on the hook.

    " Removing the item from your had and auto delete after a short time is not fair."

    You have 90s to pick it back up. Be creative during chase, pick it up and place it down again. Hop in a locker.

    You remember when it literally deleted your item when FD cut off item charges and your item had only a few charges left? That was hard. It was instant gone. At least you get a chance to pick it up again.

    @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1868882#Comment_1868882

    I should not have to play plunderer's and appraisal every match. I'm sorry if you don't agree with me but my opinion is that this game is extremely hard for survivors and extremely easy for killers. I have also played both sides. Its so easy to find, down and hook survivors that I literally don't care to play killer anymore. In fact I felt bad for them at how easy it was after literally just a few games of me playing killer. On the other hand I have most of my nearly 1000 hours played in this game devoted to playing survivor and I still die most of my games. How is that fair? How is that balanced? I don't consider myself great at the same but I also don't consider myself bad at it either. I think I play well enough to at least be able to have a fair chance at winning but I hardly ever feel like I have a fair chance at getting anything done.

    "Killer is too easy. Even at my first match I killed them with ease."

    Welcome to Rank 20 killer experience. Of course it is easy at low ranks because the Survivors are new and don't know how to loop yet etc.

    "I don't want to have to bring Plunderers+Appraisal"

    You don't need to. I play without Items most of my matches and I still do fine on red ranks.

    "I have 1k hrs and still die a lot"

    Maybe learn to loop then. Sitting on a Gen the whole time doesn't do the job everytime.

    I die a lot too, but that happens due to my playstyle. I die so that everyone else can escape. And I'm fine with that.


    I got a tip for you:

    Play matches without items. A lot of matches, so you learn NOT to rely on items. Play solo. Then you will get a lot better quite fast. And you'd learn to appreciate the power of even a single item in a match.

  • @KateMain86 said:

    Why is franklins demise still the way it is? This perk is so ridiculously unfun to play against that I literally just will not play against killers that run it anymore. I'm done with it. I'm sick of killers being able to delete my items giving me little to no chance to recover it. As if its not enough to go up against killers as they are with everything else, this perk is just like extra dessert for killers. AT THE VERY LEAST any item that franklins deletes from the match should be returned to the survivor when the match is over. If prevented the item from being used in the match. Theres no need to permanently delete it from their character.


    Why did you come back now? The forums are currently filled with complaints for the new UI. Come back later when the conflict has died down and maybe I'll end up having to tell you that Spirit Fury isn't OP.

    Also because I don't feel like typing an entire paragraph, I'll just link you my thread which defends Franklin's

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/221796/in-defense-for-franklins-and-why-overwhelming-presence-should-be-buffed#latest

  • @LapisInfernalis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1869498#Comment_1869498

    Excuse me?

    I am a red rank survivor and I have more chill plays there than when playing killer on rank 6 and above.

    Why should you get an add-on that counters FD? You have a LOT of possibilities to counter that perk (I mentioned them all above) you just need to USE them! You don't need an add-on because you are too lazy to think and act on your own.

    "My item got hit out my hand 5 times in a match. That is too much!"

    I wonder why you still had that item after the fist 2 times.... Just use it! It's not that hard! Toolboxes are gone in seconds anyway and medkit have 2 heals ideally. Not that hard to get rid of either.

    Or were you just sad that you couldn't bully the Killer with your flashlight? Or that you couldn't find all his totems/the hatch with a map? Or that you couldn't get an ez escape with a key?

    "Devour Hope is too powerful. Instant downing and Mori is too much"

    What? Say that again? Finding and cleansing a totem is too much? No? You can't find them? Hmmmmm use your brain and memorize the spawns. Use Small Game. Or use your eyes and ears. Devour Soup is fine.

    "FD should prevent you from using the item for a certain duration."E

    How long? Everything under 120s is bullshit since you usually spend some time on the hook.

    " Removing the item from your had and auto delete after a short time is not fair."

    You have 90s to pick it back up. Be creative during chase, pick it up and place it down again. Hop in a locker.

    You remember when it literally deleted your item when FD cut off item charges and your item had only a few charges left? That was hard. It was instant gone. At least you get a chance to pick it up again.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1869530#Comment_1869530

    "Killer is too easy. Even at my first match I killed them with ease."

    Welcome to Rank 20 killer experience. Of course it is easy at low ranks because the Survivors are new and don't know how to loop yet etc.

    "I don't want to have to bring Plunderers+Appraisal"

    You don't need to. I play without Items most of my matches and I still do fine on red ranks.

    "I have 1k hrs and still die a lot"

    Maybe learn to loop then. Sitting on a Gen the whole time doesn't do the job everytime.

    I die a lot too, but that happens due to my playstyle. I die so that everyone else can escape. And I'm fine with that.

    I got a tip for you:

    Play matches without items. A lot of matches, so you learn NOT to rely on items. Play solo. Then you will get a lot better quite fast. And you'd learn to appreciate the power of even a single item in a match.

    I don't bully killers. I don't flashlight spam killers. I literally only ever use a flash light to save someone being carried. Assuming things about me as if they are the basis of my complaint is just ignorance and a lack of understanding of why I am here giving feedback on these things.

    Why should I get an addon to counter franklins? Because its a risk play every time. I never know if the killer will run franklins. I will RISK that addon slot in the assumption the killer is playing franklins. Your "what if" scenarios on using items before franklins deletes them are completely circumstantial and not always an option. 90 seconds is not enough time to lose the killer or recover from the situation and get your item back in most situations in my experience. If you don't have plunderer's good luck also finding your item if you are also somehow able to escape the killer.

    I have played a lot of matches without items and guess what? They're not fun. Items are in the game for a reason and I have every right to play them if I want to. If items make the game more fun for me then I want to use them. They cost points. If a killer can delete my item essentially deleting he points I spent on that item then that to me is not fair. Franklins is not a fair perk in my opinion. I'm sorry you feel the need to talk to me like I am some kind of spoiled survivor who just wants an easy way out of every situation I'm not good at but that is not the case. I genuinely believe survivors have an unfair advantage against most killers. I genuinely believe franklins is an overpowered, unfun and unfair perk to play against. I genuinely believe it should be changed to no longer delete items but instead simply disable their use for a duration. If you don't feel that way then fine. Don't come in my thread and try to make me feel like I am some kind of entitled noob who wants a red carpet to the exit gate every game. I don't. I want the game to be fun and fair and I personally do not believe it is right now.

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1856311#Comment_1856311

    It absolutely would be worth the perk spot. Think of an end game situation where a survivor has a key as a last chance to escape and you find them. If you hit them, you would disable their ability to use it long enough to probably catch them if they can't stay away from you long enough. Out right deleting the item is not fair. I'm sorry but I truly believe survivors have it a lot tougher in this game. Not all survivors play on a super experienced or professional level. For me, there comes a point where a game feels like a job and then it is no longer fun. If I worked super hard to be the best runner or looper in the game then I'd probably end up hating the game very fast because for me it would be more stressful than fun.

    Hmmmm almost like what killers have been feeling for years lmao jkjk but seriously we need to stop getting at each others throats. This game is survivor sided at the comp/experienced level of players and killer sided at the low ranks (rank 6 and below) this game will never be balanced for both groups. It's impossible. Look at every game that's tried to balance the game for both the comp side and casual side. They can't. So they make two game modes and do two separate tunings to satisfy both sides i.e Gears 5, COD,etc. This isn't anything like those games and that type of solution isn't an option. Franklin's is fine as is. Personally I only run it on hag cause it's funny. But even as survivor I'm not upset to go against a franklin's. Hell sometimes we bring broken keys and yellow flashlights to bait out franklin's and waste a perk slot. It's fine survivors stop complaining about the stuff that doesn't matter. Same for killers. The ruin undying rework was fine. Stop complaining. I still run it and it still lasts way longer than pre undying so I'm not complaining.

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1932884#Comment_1932884

    I don't bully killers. I don't flashlight spam killers. I literally only ever use a flash light to save someone being carried. Assuming things about me as if they are the basis of my complaint is just ignorance and a lack of understanding of why I am here giving feedback on these things.

    Why should I get an addon to counter franklins? Because its a risk play every time. I never know if the killer will run franklins. I will RISK that addon slot in the assumption the killer is playing franklins. Your "what if" scenarios on using items before franklins deletes them are completely circumstantial and not always an option. 90 seconds is not enough time to lose the killer or recover from the situation and get your item back in most situations in my experience. If you don't have plunderer's good luck also finding your item if you are also somehow able to escape the killer.

    I have played a lot of matches without items and guess what? They're not fun. Items are in the game for a reason and I have every right to play them if I want to. If items make the game more fun for me then I want to use them. They cost points. If a killer can delete my item essentially deleting he points I spent on that item then that to me is not fair. Franklins is not a fair perk in my opinion. I'm sorry you feel the need to talk to me like I am some kind of spoiled survivor who just wants an easy way out of every situation I'm not good at but that is not the case. I genuinely believe survivors have an unfair advantage against most killers. I genuinely believe franklins is an overpowered, unfun and unfair perk to play against. I genuinely believe it should be changed to no longer delete items but instead simply disable their use for a duration. If you don't feel that way then fine. Don't come in my thread and try to make me feel like I am some kind of entitled noob who wants a red carpet to the exit gate every game. I don't. I want the game to be fun and fair and I personally do not believe it is right now.

    I don't have to say anything to you anymore.

    I'm tired of talking to a wall.

  • Franklin’s is a ridiculously overturned perk for how easy it is to activate. Survivor spends thousands of BP on an item? Brings perks to boost their item? No worries, just hit them once and watch it all go away.

    When do I get a survivor perk to quickly drain a killer’s add-ons the longer they chase me?

1 2 ›