I have a confession: I actually like using new Technician.

It’s not like I suck at skill checks. Been playing almost 3.5 years now.

But I DO like to play stealthy, and hate hate HATE when I do accidentally flub a skillcheck.

Things it helps with that would normally tick me off:

  • the oh so annoying letting go of a gen only for a skillcheck to pop up at that exact moment.
  • The oh so annoying skill check you can’t see or hear because it pops up at EXACTLY the same time as when another noise notification such as a hook occurs.
  • Personally, I’ve experienced a steep rise in Docs with Lullaby, Overcharge, and Unnerving.
  • Helpful against Freddy without alerting him all the time.

I know the extra regression is a trade off, but I’d rather be able to have the luxury of regaining that lost time without the killer now heading my way.

So new Technician? I don’t hate it.

Comments

  • I liked it before... Now I might run it if I feel I'm going to miss skillchecks

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    I liked it before... Now I might run it if I feel I'm going to miss skillchecks

    It totally alleviates a LOT of stress of getting gens done, other than the lost time if a skill check is flubbed.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1766442#Comment_1766442

    It totally alleviates a LOT of stress of getting gens done, other than the lost time if a skill check is flubbed.

    Plus it takes away the notification the killer gets

    so instead of missing then running away you can take a breath and get back to it

    I do like it

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1766446#Comment_1766446

    Plus it takes away the notification the killer gets

    so instead of missing then running away you can take a breath and get back to it

    I do like it

    Pretty much.

    There’s no worse feeling than almost completing a gen, flubbing a skill check, and the killer immediately comes and chases you off before you can fix the mistake.

  • @Bootlegmoth said:

    What's the difference between new and old technician? Asking for a friend

    Old Technician didn’t give the extra 5/4/3% regression on a failed skill check. All it did was give a 50/50 chance whether a failed skill check would alert the killer or not.

    It was too much of a gamble, and would often still alert the killer anyway.

  • Oh... I just thought.... what about adding Poised

    Silent gen repair then no scratch marks when finished

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    Oh... I just thought.... what about adding Poised

    Silent gen repair then no scratch marks when finished

    That sounds pretty damn good actually.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    And I can tell you as a Killer with a Headset, on some maps, that sound reduction (if it works, not sure if it does), can be the difference between me checking your gen or not on a patrol route.

    It’s still buggy. Sometimes it doesn’t work.

  • @TheClownIsKing I know right

    @SurpriseSurprise Yea of course... also Surveillance is a soft counter to Technician (if and when sounds work)

  • Had a match recently where Feng got on a gen with me when I had it at 70% and I was impressed she wasn't blowing up gens left right and centre like her teammates until I realised our gen was now at 30%. I also forgot technician even existed and my first thought was a new bug that made gen repair go backwards, the survivor nerf we really needed

  • @Bootlegmoth said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1766479#Comment_1766479

    So instead of 50/50 is it now 100% no check but extra regression?

    Correct. If you fail a gen skill check, the killer will never be alerted. But it’s at the cost of 15%/14%/13% regression instead of the normal 10% regression.

  • @Bootlegmoth said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1766479#Comment_1766479

    So instead of 50/50 is it now 100% no check but extra regression?

    TBH, the "extra regression" amounts to about 0.5 second added on to the time it normally takes to make up for a standard failed skill check, which is normally around 7.5 seconds, so its barely even noticeable. Whereas the lack of gen explosion and audio notification to the killer for failing the skill check is Hella Noticeable. If I'm playing survivor on a friday or saturday night with my friends and we're just goofing off while innebriated, Technician saves our asses every time, Otherwise if playing sober, its still very handy in the situations OP mentioned, as well as against Overcharge, Unnerving Presence, Lullaby, etc, and a FANTASTIC tool for new survivors who need to get used to nailing skillchecks. Overall, the perk is a win/win in any build, with a downside that is barely even worth mentioning.

    Oh yeah, and it still quiets the sounds you make when repairing a gen by making them audible in only 8 meters of it instead of the normal 16... I've had so many killers completely overshoot me while repairing a gen because they didn't know I was there and repairing it. So, "Gen ninja" became an endearing term among my friends.

  • @TWiXT said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1766494#Comment_1766494

    TBH, the "extra regression" amounts to about 0.5 second added on to the time it normally takes to make up for a standard failed skill check, which is around 7.5 seconds, so its barely even noticeable. Whereas the lack of gen explosion and audio notification to the killer for failing the skill check is Hella Noticeable. If I'm playing survivor on a friday or saturday night with my friends and we're just goofing off while innebriated, Technician saves our asses every time, Otherwise if playing sober, its still very handy in the situations OP mentioned, as well as against Overcharge, Unnerving Presence, Lullaby, etc, and a FANTASTIC tool for new survivors who need to get used to nailing skillchecks. Overall, the perk is a win/win in any build, with a downside that is barely game worth mentioning.

    Oh yeah, and it still quiets the sounds you make when repairing a gen by making them audible in only 8 meters of it instead of the normal 16... I've had so many killers completely shoot by me while repairing a gen because they didn't know I was there and repairing it. So, "Gen ninja" became an endearing term among my friends.

    A perfect example happened in the very last match I just got out of minutes ago.

    Spawned in Haddonfield, in that basement that has the double staircase and gen. I tapped the gen to test if Ruin was in play. Technician immediately prevents a noise notification because a skill check had come up immediately upon tapping the gen. I also shortly afterward hear the TR as well.

    I calmly walk to the back where the lockers are, and the TR fades away, presumably because they couldn’t hear any repair activity on the gen.

    That would have otherwise been a terrible way to start the match. Technician gave me a HUGE sigh of relief in that instance.

    @MadLordJack

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1766531#Comment_1766531

    A perfect example happened in the very last match I just got out of minutes ago.

    Spawned in Haddonfield, in that basement that has the double staircase and gen. I tapped the gen to test if Ruin was in play. Technician immediately prevents a noise notification because a skill check had come up immediately upon tapping the gen. I also shortly afterward hear the TR as well.

    I calmly walk to the back where the lockers are, and the TR fades away, presumably because they couldn’t hear any repair activity on the gen.

    That would have otherwise been a terrible way to start the match. Technician gave me a HUGE sigh of relief in that instance.

    y'know @TheClownIsKing , I like you. You remind me of someone else who sadly left these forums named DudeDelicious, who I used to agree with pretty regularly, and was also this forums resident Clown expert. With him gone, you'll probably take that mantle.

    As for Technician, even before it's change, it was a huge help to me when I decided to start playing survivor, and while I now feel pretty decent at the survivor role, I still think the changes they've made to Technician make it worth the perk slot in every way for both new and seasoned survivor players. Even if you are a seasoned player who nails their skillchecks every time in regular play, there come times where something unexpected happens and you're going to miss one, but New Technician is there for you like "hey man, it's all good, I got you covered." It's just a damn useful perk! Meta worthy? probably not, but still you can't go wrong picking it, which I feel is how the majority of perks should be designed.

  • @TWiXT said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1766540#Comment_1766540

    y'know @TheClownIsKing , I like you. You remind me of someone else who sadly left these forums named DudeDelicious, who I used to agree with pretty regularly, and was also this forums resident Clown expert. With him gone, you'll probably take that mantle.

    As for Technician, even before it's change, it was a huge help to me when I decided to start playing survivor, and while I now feel pretty decent at the survivor role, I still think the changes they've made to Technician make it worth the perk slot in every way for both new and seasoned survivor players. Even if you are a seasoned player who nails their skillchecks every time in regular play, there come times where something unexpected happens and you're going to miss one, but New Technician is there for you like "hey man, it's all good, I got you covered." It's just a damn useful perk! Meta worthy? probably not, but still you can't go wrong picking it, which I feel is how the majority of perks should be designed.

    Wink wink 😉

  • Last I checked, Technician isn't working properly just like Prove Thyself. Technician should be reducing the noise made by your repairs as well as their hearing distance, but the new animations caused this to not work.

    Also, for those wondering about Prove Thyself, it doesn't return the full 15% lost in CO-OP actions. Since the change, it has only been returning 12.75%.

  • Has Anyone else also Iterated Knowledge Negating Empathy's Worthy Inclusion in good builds Today? i think it would be a CAPITOL offense of them to not include it in the list of perks like technician that shouldn't be overlooked, and instead deserve praise for being so well designed. 😘

  • @DetailedDetriment said:

    Last I checked, Technician isn't working properly just like Prove Thyself. Technician should be reducing the noise made by your repairs as well as their hearing distance, but the new animations caused this to not work.

    Also, for those wondering about Prove Thyself, it doesn't return the full 15% lost in CO-OP actions. Since the change, it has only been returning 12.75%.

    This is sad... I'm sad now... this means that technician wasn't making me a "gen ninja" after all, and the killers that shot by me were either just idiots or didn't have headphones.😥

  • @TWiXT said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1766494#Comment_1766494

    TBH, the "extra regression" amounts to about 0.5 second added on to the time it normally takes to make up for a standard failed skill check, which is around 7.5 seconds, so its barely even noticeable. Whereas the lack of gen explosion and audio notification to the killer for failing the skill check is Hella Noticeable. If I'm playing survivor on a friday or saturday night with my friends and we're just goofing off while innebriated, Technician saves our asses every time, Otherwise if playing sober, its still very handy in the situations OP mentioned, as well as against Overcharge, Unnerving Presence, Lullaby, etc, and a FANTASTIC tool for new survivors who need to get used to nailing skillchecks. Overall, the perk is a win/win in any build, with a downside that is barely game worth mentioning.

    Oh yeah, and it still quiets the sounds you make when repairing a gen by making them audible in only 8 meters of it instead of the normal 16... I've had so many killers completely shoot by me while repairing a gen because they didn't know I was there and repairing it. So, "Gen ninja" became an endearing term among my friends.

    Just to clear up some math here, the standard failed skill check regression is 8 seconds of a gen. Technician adds 2.4 seconds.

  • technician is the best afk/alt tab gen perk

  • @Ghoste said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1766531#Comment_1766531

    Just to clear up some math here, the standard failed skill check regression is 8 seconds of a gen. Technician adds 2.4 seconds.

    Ok, still, Hardly noticeable in my book.

  • I love how chill and relaxed your matches seem to be people. I must be playing a different game. It’s either la Spirit, a Bubba or a Nurse every game and failing a skill check is the least of my issues.

  • @CustomerService said:

    I love how chill and relaxed your matches seem to be people. I must be playing a different game. It’s either la Spirit, a Bubba or a Nurse every game and failing a skill check is the least of my issues.

    It’s still an issue against those killers.

    It’s so annoying against Spirit when accidentally flubbing a skill check and then immediately hearing the big loud vacuum cleaner.

  • I would actually consider running it just to avoid those absolute prick skillchecks that trigger as you let go. Also it's nice to hear gens at a larger distance. But, I am addicted to healing and altruism at the moment and I do not see that going away any time soon, so...

  • @MadLordJack said:

    I would actually consider running it just to avoid those absolute prick skillchecks that trigger as you let go. Also it's nice to hear gens at a larger distance. But, I am addicted to healing and altruism at the moment and I do not see that going away any time soon, so...

    I usually prefer altruism builds too. Usually, or info builds.

    I’ll tag you in what happened to me today, whereby Technician prevented my mood from being completely ruined today.

  • I slap it on when I play drunk.

  • "the oh so annoying letting go of a gen only for a skill check to pop up at that exact moment"


    I feel like that's 80% of the skill checks I miss, it's kinda bs tbh. As far as the perk goes I mainly just use it for the reduced range the killer can hear the gen, most won't come to the Gen if it's out of LOS.