The Generator Rework That DBD Needs
DISCLAIMER: The numbers are just rough values/placer holders. So if you see anything that is too low or too high in my "Generator Rework" thread, feel free to suggest a better number value! Thanks!
REPAIR TIMES:
Generator repair times for the number of survivors on a generator: Left repair time is one survivor repairing a generator 0% to 100% and the right number is three survivors repairing a generator 0% to 100%.
1 Survivor; 2 Survivors; 3 Survivors
80sec /65sec /50sec
A generator will no longer have all four sides available for all four survivors to repair a generator! A generator will always spawn with at least one side being blocked by the environment!
GENERATOR PARTS:
There will be 12 generator parts in every trial that survivors can pick up. Auras of generator parts will be revealed to survivors within a 12 meter range and generator parts will be spaced 32 meters from one and another. When a survivor is carrying a generator part, the survivor cannot use their items but the survivor can drop the generator part at anytime.
INSTALL GENERATOR PART:
Generators need only two generator parts to be fully repaired. The first installed generator part will allow the generator to be repaired to 50% but cannot be repaired any further. However two installed generator parts will allow the generator to be repaired to 100%.
You cannot start repairing a generator when no generator parts have been installed in that generator!
When a survivor begins to install a generator part which takes 5 seconds, the survivor will be faced with two difficult skill checks during that time frame. Succeeding both of the skill checks will install the generator part but failing any of the skill checks will cause the survivor to start over on the install generator part action WITHOUT alerting the killer.
DONE!
Leave civil feedback below and tell me how you feel about your opinion! If you're gonna disagree with me, make sure you have reasoning and justification!
REPAIR TIMES:
Generator repair times for the number of survivors on a generator: Left repair time is one survivor repairing a generator 0% to 100% and the right number is three survivors repairing a generator 0% to 100%.
1 Survivor; 2 Survivors; 3 Survivors
80sec /65sec /50sec
A generator will no longer have all four sides available for all four survivors to repair a generator! A generator will always spawn with at least one side being blocked by the environment!
GENERATOR PARTS:
There will be 12 generator parts in every trial that survivors can pick up. Auras of generator parts will be revealed to survivors within a 12 meter range and generator parts will be spaced 32 meters from one and another. When a survivor is carrying a generator part, the survivor cannot use their items but the survivor can drop the generator part at anytime.
INSTALL GENERATOR PART:
Generators need only two generator parts to be fully repaired. The first installed generator part will allow the generator to be repaired to 50% but cannot be repaired any further. However two installed generator parts will allow the generator to be repaired to 100%.
You cannot start repairing a generator when no generator parts have been installed in that generator!
When a survivor begins to install a generator part which takes 5 seconds, the survivor will be faced with two difficult skill checks during that time frame. Succeeding both of the skill checks will install the generator part but failing any of the skill checks will cause the survivor to start over on the install generator part action WITHOUT alerting the killer.
DONE!
Leave civil feedback below and tell me how you feel about your opinion! If you're gonna disagree with me, make sure you have reasoning and justification!
Comments
The gens are fine as they are.
What they need to do is make hex totems, and totems in general better.
They need a slight buff to thrill of the hunt...
And
increase the cleansing time of hex totems by 6 seconds, and dull totems by 4 seconds each.
This alone will keep people off gens...and slow things down just a touch...
Then it will encourage killers to run "Thrill of the Hunt"
Where cleansing the hex or dull totems in general will take more time. It's a small change, but it would help a bit.
If you blow up a gen then it should be too hot to touch for like 15 seconds forcing you to either wait or go and search for a different gen.
As it is now, if you blow up a gen you only lose 4 seconds. Its not punishing enough, especially since most gens are by windows/pallets so even if the killer does come I can escape easily.
If this became a thing, I’d have to Eliot Rodgers a few solo players.
People are still failing skillchecks?
Jesus...
Yep, cant tell you how many times im minding my own business doing a gen when a Dwight walks up to it, blows it up, then sprints away.
Fun
However back on topic, I think this generator rework will be a great addition to DBD for both the killer and the survivor!
What if the next gen is across map more than 15 seconds away. No need to leave the current gen..
I'm absolutely in love with this idea.
Too bad the Devs probably won't even consider this T.T
Their solution to gens getting done fast? Slower healing and easier sabotage. When I heard them say this in the Q&A, I couldn't believe it.
The slower healing does NOT help at the start of the game when the killer is chasing a survivor who knows what they're doing and 2/3 gens pop off.
The easier sabotage does give the survivors more incentive to do something else, but there's always going to be that majority group that doesn't care for sabotaging.
I love this game but damn.
If that would be a thing (hypothetically, because we know it will not happen) then there will be no good reason to work on same generator. Would be way waaaay more efficient to split up and do separate generators, something that OP will be complaining about next
Ruin needs to be baseline, consistent, and the generators to be rebalanced around it. Imagine having the freedom to take a fourth perk, but also not worry about Ruin getting cleansed in 15 seconds-60 seconds, so it has an impact.
I hate how Ruin is absolutely required to play killer in green ranks and higher.
I'm absolutely in love with this idea.
Too bad the Devs will never even consider this. T.T
Their solution to gens being done fast? Slower healing and easier sabotage. I couldn't believe it when I heard them say that in the Q&A.
The slower healing will not help if during the first chase you're against a survivor who knows what they're doing and 2/3 gens pop off before the end of that chase.
The easier sabotage might give survivors incentive to do something else, but there will always be that majority that doesn't care to sabotage.
However I agree that there is better ways to slow the game down tho!
Oh no I love the slower healing idea, I just mean they used that as the answer to the question of "gen rushing".
It will not help during that first chase when the rest of the survivors are on gens.
Sucks that a killer has to use Ruin every game, even through I use Devour instead of Ruin. Survivors are sometimes too focused on generators that they forget about totems completely lol.
It does suck especially since 80% of the time you get horrible totem placements.
I hate using hex perks, because for the most part it ends up being a wasted perk slot.The first time I said "fine. I'll try using ruin", I got the lighthouse totem and when I went to check on it, there was a survivor already on it and by the time I got around the hill to the slope, they broke it. "never again." T.T
1. Constantly new players
2. Sometimes a loud noise (like a hook) will mask the sound
3. Not everybody blares their volume and stares at the screen without ever looking away
4. Perks and powers that make skill checks harder
5. Skill checks that pop up as you're letting go of the gen
6. Missed great skill checks
7. Distracted by action nearby
I dont like like this idea purely because survivors may end up accidentally dropping parts while escaping etc in the same area and the killer can then just camp them preventing a win.
Well then staying by a hot generator for 15 seconds will still be more punishing than failing a skill check is now.
Problem: at the start of the match survivors will crouch around trying to find parts.
The early game will be slower will less chases, because finding a survivor that doesn't work on something is very hard (and is also annoying and frustrating). The match will really begin when survivors start to repair (unless the killer is lucky), and at that point survivors could memorize the position of a bunch of parts so in the middle game they would loose just a few seconds to get them.
All in all the idea is not bad but imo it wouldn't solve much.
Maybe you wanna take a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=67&=&v=rJqFxk8U0OY
Thrill of the hunt can be abused by toxic survivors such that you have to mute your sound, I dont use it anymore because of this shitshow and the devs even allow this.
Good survivors can simply power through ruin, so all hex perks in the world wont help protecting your ruin^^
They can just stop toolboxes from regenerating charges, toolbox addons will be consumed after the game is over, fix hex placement and it should be ok. Ruin is a direct counter to gen rush in mid levels but there's no point in taking the perk if the hex is just gonna spawn in front of a survivor or a gen.
I think you also need to take into account that not all killers are same. If you end up facing a good nurse a few people might end up dead before you complete a single generator. There's a huge gap between some killers and they need to balance that first. But we all know it will never happen. If you're a Hag on coldwind farm they'll most likely finish 2 gens by the time you run to your totem to set a trap and check on it. Hunted ground might change the game drastically.
It can be gas instead of generator parts if you really want it to be gas lol! Do you want me to edit my OP to have gas instead of generator parts @Peasant?
This generator rework is just somethings that I think can benifit both the survivor and the killer!
I'm absolutely in love with this idea.
Too bad the Devs will never even consider this. T.T
Their solution to gens being done fast? Slower healing and easier sabotage. I couldn't believe it when I heard them say that in the Q&A.
The slower healing will not help if during the first chase you're against a survivor who knows what they're doing and 2/3 gens pop off before the end of that chase.
The easier sabotage might give survivors more incentive to do something else, but there will always be that majority that doesn't care to sabotage.
I love this game but come on devs. T.T
I'm absolutely in love with this idea.
Too bad the Devs will never even consider this. T.T
Their solution to gens being done fast? Slower healing and easier sabotage. I couldn't believe it when I heard them say that in the Q&A.
The slower healing will not help if during the first chase you're against a survivor who knows what they're doing and 2/3 gens pop off before the end of that chase.
The easier sabotage might give survivors more incentive to do something else, but there will always be that majority that doesn't care to sabotage.
I love this game but come on devs. T.T
For anyone saying the generators are fine, you're lying through your teeth. Depending on the map, team makeup and perks - a killer can find themselves down a gen before they've had chance to scout all of them. I'd love to see their completion times increased but that won't happen.
No killer should be required to run perks just to slow the game down, and as a survivor I hate when the gens are rushed through.
I like the idea of parts spread all over the map. Try and allow for the survivors to learn a little bit about stealth, and less about looping. Not to mention force the premades to do something other than gen rush. I also like the idea of failing skill checks resulting in the survivor unable to work on the same gen for a set period of time.
Survivors in the games current state don't have to rely on one another for very much.
The problem is that killers always say play stealthy, survivors play stealthy killers bring spies from the shadows and or whispers. I'd love for their to be stuff randomly scattered around but then if it's going to be a stealthy style gameplay killers need to lose those 2 perks.
But then they turn around with the usual well I need those to find stealthy immersed players.
I think this is a great idea, of course it will need to be tested tweaked a lot before being fully implemented.
This would make doing the generators more interesting, though I think it should be more than just parts, perhaps it should be several different types of parts and also require fuel to be activated.
Also, I think instead the skill check it should be a puzzle-like minigame, especially as those tend to get really intense when under pressure, like for instance time (which could be you know the killer is about to close in on you).
@Nickenzie My proposal to indirectly lengthen generator repairs are "Gas Cans". There would be a total of 4 cans per generator. Each canister would allow for 25% progress to be made on a generator. Upon using a gas can you lock the progress to the respective level.
For example, you encounter a generator. You cannot repair it until you use 1 gas can. After applying the can (one guaranteed moderately difficult skillcheck) you will be able to begin repairs up to 25%. If the killer regresses the generator during this time it will regress to 0%. After being fully repaired to 25% that progress is saved but the generator shuts down. After another can is used the generator will hum back to life and can now be repaired to 50%. If the killer regresses the generator at this time it will regress, but not past 25%. This pattern will continue until the generator is fully repaired.
Gas Canisters will be hidden throughout the whole map and can be carried in a survivor's off hand. They do not prevent you from carrying items. I would also ensure that more Gas Canisters would be found inside of structures.
Overall this will force survivors to consistently stop repairs and search for cans to continue repairs. The commute from can to the generators will increase times enough to slow down the objective and prolong the game a fair amount.
With this addition I'd also add three perks:
What do you think?
I like this, I like this a lot. You should also include that once generator parts are installed they cannot be uninstalled, and if the generator repair falls below 50% that the parts are not removed. I like it though, more objectives in this game besides press M1 and wait are a good thing. Another thing I would suggest is since you're adding more objectives is to add a blood point value to installing parts.
I've noticed this but survivors don't get near as many points as killers have capable. I think increasing the objectives like this while also rewarding blood points for parts installed would help a lot. Maybe even like 500 points per part installed. And also give them points to pip toward objectives.
I will say though, that something like this would vastly change the meta, where having people run around just to install parts may end up more beneficial than waiting and rushing 1 gen at a time. I will also point out with a change like this, maybe rework the way ruin works, and maybe even scrap it all together for a new perk that works similar to Nurses calling. Maybe have it so, survivors within like 9 meters auras are revealed to you for 3 seconds if they are within your terror radius and working on a generator.
As it stands now hex's are just.... meh. I've heard what they plan on doing to shrink the stature of the totem, but atm hexes are pretty bad, and the sheer power you get from hex ruin wouldn't be needed if there were more objectives and more points to be earned per match.