What's wrong with making deathslinger miss?

I'll probably get shamed for this but where did this mentality of, "You didn't juke him he just missed."

If you see him aiming (and using his power properly instead of faking) what's wrong with making him miss? He thought you were still going one way yet you made a last second decision and swerved to the right or left. *YOU* made him miss, now he has a shot cooldown and reload cooldown. Just the pure fact that you made him think one way instead then change your direction last second then you made him miss because of that. I can tell you, some of you guys dodged or made him miss in some way, yet it's made to seem like you didn't do anything at all in your situation because it's always the Killer making the mistake not you. You had a hand in making him miss his shot why not give yourself credit for doing so? I don't know if I'm making sense or not, but at the same time I'm not making this discussion out of anger or being upset I just genuinely want to know where this mentality came from when it does seem like you.


Edit: Since the original comment was buried, I wanted to thank those who used analogies and explained what usually the idea was since not much posts really talk about what's *wrong* with making him miss. So, I just decided to just ask it myself and only expect just a few responses I thought would just be sarcasm, name-calling at me, some explanations about the topic of said post, and just assumptions about me as usual which this thread has a few of. But I at the same time I didn't want to cause any trouble because I just had a a question that wanted to know the answer to. I never intended any bad vibes either and I feel like I made a few other users disgusted towards me just by this post alone which I sort of feel bad for since I had no intentions of bad vibes or causing an argument. But again thank you to those who explained it and shed some light for me.


Edit 2: Goddamn it man.


Screenshot_20201010-134221~2.png


Comments

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1674627#Comment_1674627

    Just showing you how easy it was to turn that argument around.

    How many survivors prethrow pallets against you? And if they do how do you respond?

    That no-one does the counter doesn't mean there isn't any. People often don't realise you don't have to last minutes against a deathslinger. And it doesn't matter if the slinger is a god that never misses when he can't down after shooting.

    Don't get me wrong. He is insanly strong in chase. But IMO that doesn't mean he has zero counterplay

    Throwing pallets isn't a counter, and I hate it when people say it is. That implies that you extend your chase beyond a mere handful of seconds, since almost every pallet can be very easily played thanks to his amazingly small projectile, and the ones that can't be played can just be zoned, broken, and the survivor downed before they reach another.

    In order to turn an argument around, there must be merit in the counterargument. Adding 5 seconds to your chase is essentially worthless in all but the most extraordinary circumstances and most certainly is not "counterplay." Counterplay implies a struggle between the killer and survivor for dominance. Slinger is just dominant with no real exception outside of extraordinary map RNG, which isn't really worth mentioning since I have never experienced it and am just assuming it exists.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1674635#Comment_1674635

    Throwing pallets isn't a counter, and I hate it when people say it is. That implies that you extend your chase beyond a mere handful of seconds, since almost every pallet can be very easily played thanks to his amazingly small projectile, and the ones that can't be played can just be zoned, broken, and the survivor downed before they reach another.

    In order to turn an argument around, there must be merit in the counterargument. Adding 5 seconds to your chase is essentially worthless in all but the most extraordinary circumstances and most certainly is not "counterplay." Counterplay implies a struggle between the killer and survivor for dominance. Slinger is just dominant with no real exception outside of extraordinary map RNG, which isn't really worth mentioning since I have never experienced it and am just assuming it exists.

    What do you mean 5 seconds? On most loops the slinger can't get you unless you make a mistake or the slinger makes a god shot through terrain. Most of the time he has to break the pallet.

    Then as long as you don't run in the open. He either needs to make a long range shot which is no longer unreactable or you reach another pallet which if it's already thrown puts you in the same scenario

    Note that i am talking about throwing the pallet before the chase even starts. Before slinger is even there. It's the difference between getting shot before you can throw or getting shot midvault where the worst slinger can do is give you deep wounds.

    Also note that it's not a foolproof counter by any means .Small loops that he can shoot over are still death zones but if you give a foolproof counter to a killer that only has one strenght you might as well delete him

  • Nah nah nah. It's not able to be counterplayed until a popup comes up every time he shoots to ask the survivor if they would like to be hit.

    It doesn't matter that you can run in ways that make it hard for him to hit, or take a shot at all.

    It doesn't matter that after you're hit you and your team have ways to stop him getting a hit/down from it AND stun him.

    If the killer can use their power then they have no counterplay, are OP, and are 'boring' to play against.

  • @CalamityJane said:

    Nah nah nah. It's not able to be counterplayed until a popup comes up every time he shoots to ask the survivor if they would like to be hit.

    It doesn't matter that you can run in ways that make it hard for him to hit, or take a shot at all.

    It doesn't matter that after you're hit you and your team have ways to stop him getting a hit/down from it AND stun him.

    If the killer can use their power then they have no counterplay, are OP, and are 'boring' to play against.

    hahahahaha

    Like a little yes or no question whenever deathslinger presses shoot in comic sans font saying "Would you like to be hit here? Yes ------- No."

    I vote for that or making deathslingers spear move at 1m/s.

  • @Shenanigan said:

    I'll probably get shamed for this but where did this mentality of, "You didn't juke him he just missed."

    If you see him aiming (and using his power properly instead of faking) what's wrong with making him miss? He thought you were still going one way yet you made a last second decision and swerved to the right or left. *YOU* made him miss, now he has a shot cooldown and reload cooldown. Just the pure fact that you made him think one way instead then change your direction last second then you made him miss because of that. I can tell you, some of you guys dodged or made him miss in some way, yet it's made to seem like you didn't do anything at all in your situation because it's always the Killer making the mistake not you. You had a hand in making him miss his shot why not give yourself credit for doing so? I don't know if I'm making sense or not, but at the same time I'm not making this discussion out of anger or being upset I just genuinely want to know where this mentality came from when it does seem like you.

    I dodge his shots all the time. It's called prediction. You don't need fast reaction times when you know when he is going to shoot. For example, I am running to shack pallet, slinger is chasing right behind and I know he is waiting for his chance to shoot. I know he is going to aim for the door, he wants to get me before the pallet drop. I spin at the right moment when I would shoot me if I was slinger. It's no different than making a killer miss the m1. Predict, spin, run. I'm not saying it is easy at all, but I have dodged plenty of shots, some at close range too. It wasn't the killer missing. When I'm running and don't dodge at all and I can see the harpoon wizz by right next to my face....that is missing the shot. There is a clear difference.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    The argument mainly comes from not being very good against him, also you made very good points.

    Huntress has the exact same projectile speed when fully charged with the hitbox of a train and apparently you can dodge that.

    If you can't dodge slinger, you can't dodge huntress. Take your pick.

    Huntress doesn't insta-throw Hatchets, and has very clear audio and visual queues for winding up her hatchet, throwing her hatchet, full wind-up, and putting it away. She can't fake out a throw.

    Slinger on the other hand, can constantly spam ADS and not commit to it- forcing Survivors to start juking and lost distance. To add to it, a really good Slinger can quick scope, so you have no reaction to the shot.

    This isn't to say Slinger is OP- I personally don't think he is. But he does make 1v1s really unfun for Survivors- it feels like you either squash him, or he squashes you.

  • @lowiq said:

    Try playing a FPS without a weapon. Instead, your goal is to dodge other people's shots. Let me know if you have fun.

    This. Cod mobile.

    That game auto shoots for you,

    Just hold crosshair over someone for a second.

    Then go full try hard with knife.

    Worth it if you can.

    Or fortnite....embarrass people with pickax kills.


    Whilst NOT fun (for myself)

    It sometimes pays off.

  • Go play DeathSligner, have more than 50ms ping then realise that at 10+m you have to aim a bit in front of where the survivor is going because his hitbox is needle siz & the mini difference in ping make you miss. Also even with less than 50ms in ping I saw countless of people dropping a pallet right as I shoot so on my end it appear they were dropping the pallet after I hit them.


    People complain on DS and propose to add ton of cooldown but that would make him #########. If you really want to play with his shoot on sight and add some cooldown for raising/lowering his gun you will have to make him faster and lower the cooldown on missed shot and reaload. He's one of the strongest in chase but he's average at downing a survivor and dogshit at map pressure

  • @xEa said:

    I'll probably get shamed for this but where did this mentality of, "You didn't juke him he just missed."

    Its not a mentality, its a fact. You can not react to his quickscope, especially not if he is semi-close range.

    That's true, but a good survivor can predict a shot and dodge before the deathslinger even scopes. This is essentially dodging his shot.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1673357#Comment_1673357

    A windup doesn't make it dodgeable, it makes it more predictable. Plus even if it does have a windup - according to people who say you cant dodge a slinger - she will get the hit anyway because it travels just as fast as slinger.

    Predictability is necessary in order to dodge in a game like this...

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    The argument mainly comes from not being very good against him, also you made very good points.

    Huntress has the exact same projectile speed when fully charged with the hitbox of a train and apparently you can dodge that.

    If you can't dodge slinger, you can't dodge huntress. Take your pick.

    You can't dodge his quickscope. You can only dodge him if he's close to max range away.

  • @lowiq said:

    Try playing a FPS without a weapon. Instead, your goal is to dodge other people's shots. Let me know if you have fun.

    This...is so ######### accurate.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1673368#Comment_1673368

    Her movement speed does not matter when it comes to dodging, all it means is that she catches up slower. If she holds she's just a really slow deathslinger that throws trains. It's still by the logic of some people not dodgeable because the movement speed doesn't matter, the projectile speed does.

    You can already do small strafes side to side and move totally unpredictably to the point where it's borderline impossible for him to hit his shot. Along with dodging at corners despite if he has drawn his weapon or not - this is where he turns into a 50/50 whether he will shoot or not.

    More importantly, he is not lose lose like you are proposing. If you start going around a corner he has to guess whether you will dodge or not. He doesn't react to what you do, he guesses along with you as survivor strafe speeds are near enough instant. This lets you dodge him.

    As for reference, I do think that you can dodge both a slinger and a huntress, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of people saying you can dodge a huntress but not a slinger by using the same logic.

    You can't dodge slinger. See, you can only GUESS if he's going to shoot. Thats not dodging.

  • @hillbillyclaudmain69 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1673389#Comment_1673389

    You can't dodge slinger. See, you can only GUESS if he's going to shoot. Thats not dodging.

    Yes, it's a prediction on where you think he is going to shoot.

    The exact same thing happens with huntress as you do not know where huntress is going to throw until shes already thrown it.

    So, it's either you can dodge slinger and huntress by predicting them correctly, or you cant because apparently predicting isn't a dodge?

  • @xEa said:

    I'll probably get shamed for this but where did this mentality of, "You didn't juke him he just missed."

    Its not a mentality, its a fact. You can not react to his quickscope, especially not if he is semi-close range.

    I disagree. While it is a fact you cant react to his quickscope, that doesnt mean you cant act preemtively. Your action before he quickscope can still make him miss, there is no autoaim in this game.

    A lot of people just like to repeat what others say if it fits their opinion.

    No, killers dont need to be countered 1v1 in a chase in a 4v1 game. they just need to buy time, and they still can do that on a lot of maps.

    As long as killers don´t have an exceptional high kill rate, they are fine. And devs have access to the kill rate, unlike us.

  • @sulaiman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1673309#Comment_1673309

    I disagree. While it is a fact you cant react to his quickscope, that doesnt mean you cant act preemtively. Your action before he quickscope can still make him miss, there is no autoaim in this game.

    A lot of people just like to repeat what others say if it fits their opinion.

    No, killers dont need to be countered 1v1 in a chase in a 4v1 game. they just need to buy time, and they still can do that on a lot of maps.

    As long as killers don´t have an exceptional high kill rate, they are fine. And devs have access to the kill rate, unlike us.

    Sure, it can make him miss (so can running in a straight line), but if you do that, Deathslinger just gains free ground and he gets his free hit by you "dodging" or acting "preemtivly".

    Thats true, a lot of people do that, but if you mean me repeating Scott Jund, i must disapoint you. I say this since his release and me playing him the first time and i was right from that moment on. And nothing so far i have seen or experienced changed my opinion the slightest.

    Yes Killer need counterplay in a 1v1, survivors need to stand a reasonable chance to outplay him by playing better then the killer. Otherwise this would be completly pointless and this game would be dead und uninteresting for pretty much everyone. Having luck that the killer is missing is no outplay.

    Killers do have an exceptional high kill rate, unfortunatly the killer base is so into its "4K is the only K" mentality that they are always unsatisfied with everything less then a 3 or 4K. I can not blame them. Even i feel a bit unhappy when i only get 2K and 7-8 hooks even tho i earned a lot of bloodpoints. On the other hand, when i play survivor and i die, i dont care that much as long as i had a fun game. Talking about fun game: I never had a fun game against a Deathslinger the last 800 hours or so.

  • And why have the only way to outplay him have to be in a chase? Stealthing around him while he is activly searching for you is a way to outplay him, just not one that a lot of people want. I actually have fun playing vs deathslinger, but i like playing against all killers.

  • Another mistake a lot of people make is that they overdo their dodges waaay to much.

    I kniw we are used to dodging basketballs from huntress but slingers projectile is insanly small

    A tiny 15° turn is all it take to dodge it yet some people make complete 90° turns completly neutering any distance their making.

    You can run in a serpentine motion to make it harder to hit you and while losing the least amount of distance possible.

  • Looks like we have the same feed.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1673357#Comment_1673357

    A windup doesn't make it dodgeable, it makes it more predictable. Plus even if it does have a windup - according to people who say you cant dodge a slinger - she will get the hit anyway because it travels just as fast as slinger.

    Do you ever get tired of arguing against hundreds of people when in the back of your mind you know the killer is broken and unfun to play against? You have a pretty clear bias to defend your main killer and will jump through hoops to justify his 0 counter power.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1676102#Comment_1676102

    Yes, it's a prediction on where you think he is going to shoot.

    The exact same thing happens with huntress as you do not know where huntress is going to throw until shes already thrown it.

    So, it's either you can dodge slinger and huntress by predicting them correctly, or you cant because apparently predicting isn't a dodge?

    Its not. When you go against huntress, you can pretty much tell when she'll throw it. And you can dodge hatchets, because it's pretty obvious when she'll throw it. Slinger doesn't have that, meaning that you cant dodge him. Predicting isn't dodging. Don't get the two mixed up.

  • @xEa said:

    I'll probably get shamed for this but where did this mentality of, "You didn't juke him he just missed."

    Its not a mentality, its a fact. You can not react to his quickscope, especially not if he is semi-close range.

    Ermmm you know you can bait their shots right? You just need to think like the killer.

1 2 ›