In Defense of Tunelling

Preface: I play survivor, mostly.


Tunelling makes sense. If I know there's an injured Claudette dead on hook, I'm not chasing the guy who brought objective flowers and hasn't been touched all game. I don't care if the Jake is closer to me, I don't care that you're teabagging, Claudette will die faster. It's logical, not toxic. If you believe it's unfair, then develop a counter strategy. Bodyblock. Instaheal. I don't understand why so many people are quick to jump to the conclusion "doing __ is toxic!" when it inconveniences them.

I'm open to counterarguments/rebuttals/ideas, but as of right now, that's what I think.


Edit: grammar because monkey brain ooga booga

Comments

  • @JacobD said:

    I mean it is a known fact that as long as you aren't completely ignoring other survivors tunneling is more often then not the most effective play the only reason most or some, depending on how salty of a person you are, is courtesy. Anybody that says otherwise is lying or doesn't know how the game is played.

    I guess that makes sense. I mean if the uninjured person is like 2 inches from me I won't just walk right past them, but if I have the choice I'm picking to tunnel

  • That sounds more like punishing a bad unhook to be honest.

  • Honestly the situation you're in as a killer determines whether you should tunnel or not.

  • @Kellie said:

    Honestly the situation you're in as a killer determines whether you should tunnel or not.

    This. Sometimes I go after healthy people because I want other people injured for pressure. If someone was saved from a hook while I'm away, I run back and all I see is a blood trail. I'm going after that person again. Can;t find who made the save and leaving both of them alone is counter productive.

  • The problem that killers face is that their objectives have feelings and opinions too.

    You wont find generators complaining about getting finished in one sitting, Or that you didnt switch to new gens after doing 30% of progress.

  • when they unhok in front of you or very close is not tunneling, is farming from survivors wich of course must get punished especially if u can ignore bt like freedy or ghostface even pig.

  • @BubbaMain64 said:

    That sounds more like punishing a bad unhook to be honest.

    Exactly! Yet that is called tunneling and scummy and BM and toxic because ignorant people refuse to learn the difference. The amount of times I've been "tunneled" because of poor unhooks is disgusting but I'm never angry at the killer for it, always my teammates.

    Many Survivor players need to learn:

    You don't need to unhook immediately, there is a considerable amount of time between stages.

    Bring BT if you're gonna be an unhooking altruistic player or learn when/how to safely unhook.

    And if needed take the killers aggro, you get BP for protection hits and unless you're on death hook you can usually afford to get into a chase or trade hooks. Body blocking exists and can be very effective to buy more time for the team.

    I would be willing to bet if players did these things the amount of "tunneling" complaints would decrease immensely.

  • It is not tunneling as a tactic to swing momentum that is bothersome. But when a killer enters a match knowing full well they will be tunneling the first survivor they catch right out of the game., and then each subsequent survivor they catch.

    When it switches from tactic to strategy is when it is unfun. I think we all agree there is a time when it is the best decision, and there are times when it is just ######### sportsmanship or lack of killer skill.

  • This discussion will never find a "yeah we can all agree on that"-point.

    The definition of tunneling goes from "I selfcared under the hook and I got downed again, trash tunneler" to "Killer ignores everything else to target a specific survivor".

    If I get tunneled I usually made a bad play or got hookfarmed. Both cases are not the killers fault.

  • @seki23 said:

    when they unhok in front of you or very close is not tunneling, is farming from survivors wich of course must get punished especially if u can ignore bt like freedy or ghostface even pig.

    In these cases unless I'm aiming to finish fast I will let the one unhooked go and kill the other guy but other times I'm like meh your all rushing the basement and I'm one shot huntress why would I let ya go and not get the easy 4k

  • @Raptorrotas said:

    The problem that killers face is that their objectives have feelings and opinions too.

    You wont find generators complaining about getting finished in one sitting, Or that you didnt switch to new gens after doing 30% of progress.

    As far as I'm concerned, unless there is a way to chat with someone mid-game, I treat my online opponents as though they were CPU opponents. :P

  • I ll hit whoever is closest to me when I return to an unhook. If the unhooked player runs into my path, im not going to bloody ignore them.

  • I think that, in the late game, tunneling someone to get a kill and reduce the number of survivors still in the match can be totally legit. In the early game, though, if you arbitrarily focus on one person to the exclusion of anyone else, and just railroad them out of the match as fast as possible, it's a rude thing to do, IMO.

  • Tunneling is only toxic if you go in with the intention of tunneling someone out of the game, or if you're really deliberate about it. It definitely makes the game less fun, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

  • @SMitchell8 said:

    I ll hit whoever is closest to me when I return to an unhook. If the unhooked player runs into my path, im not going to bloody ignore them.

    My question is why do so many killers just return to the hook now? Remember when you used BBQ and crossed the map to catch a new survivor?

    Returning to the hook has become the thing to do, which obviously is going to increase "tunneling".

    I understand the whole that's where the bait is argument. However we aren't fishing, we are hunting.

  • @Clevite said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1673266#Comment_1673266

    My question is why do so many killers just return to the hook now? Remember when you used BBQ and crossed the map to catch a new survivor?

    Returning to the hook has become the thing to do, which obviously is going to increase "tunneling".

    I understand the whole that's where the bait is argument. However we aren't fishing, we are hunting.

    Because when someone gets unhooked you know that there are at least two survivors in the area. So why would you run off to another area, especially if you don't even know if survivors are there in the first place.

  • @lowiq said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1673541#Comment_1673541

    Because when someone gets unhooked you know that there are at least two survivors in the area. So why would you run off to another area, especially if you don't even know if survivors are there in the first place.

    I go after those I see on BBQ, or those I have found on another genny or in tracking. I do not immediately turn around and go back to the hook when the notification goes off.

    Not judging if you do, just not my style. Ofcourse if no one is on BBQ and you save him 3 seconds after I left the hook, well then that is to the detriment of the team.

  • Tunneling isn't toxic but it's mildly unfun to play against as survivor.

  • Why would you walk to the other side of the map to find a maximum of 2 survivors and let the recently unhooked one get patched up? 3 gen is a very popular strategy now with killers just defending there half of the map.

  • Tunnelling is borderline griefing. You are targeting one specific player in order to make them miserable and ruin their gaming experience.

    As a tactic, it is understandable but survivors are also prone to outright ignoring someone if they're tunnelled into their second hook, which can affect the match in leading to the infamous gen-rush.


    I also find it more effective and enjoyable for them to all lose it as they all start dying at the same time.