Anyone else wish old Freddy was given another ability and had his base ability buffed?
Title.
Watching videos on old Freddy makes me miss the hell out of him. Yeah, he sucked, but I feel like if he was given another ability to help him with chase/map pressure/etc, and had his ability buffed, he would've been a really fine hit-and-run killer.
I think most people (and I say most. If you disagree, that's totally fine) find new Freddy's gameplay to be very boring and very simple. Snare, snare, snare, hit. Teleport. Snare, snare, snare hit. Yeah, it's a very good ability, he's a deadly one, but it feels like they stripped any depth away from Freddy and just made a better Clown.
I just hate the blandness of new Freddy and how his addons are so boring as well. At least making some unique builds and playstyles on old Freddy to make him a little stronger was kinda fun. I know I'm definitely not the only one and this opinion is probably tiring to hear at this point, but if anyone did have some old ideas for keeping the spirit of old Freddy and making him viable, I would love to hear them just for discussion sake.
Comments
I actually loved Freddy 1.0 to play, and honestly I thin the teleport could have easily been added into that kit and it wouldn't have been overly oppressive; the issue he had was that he was just an M1 killer that had to wait a year to get the first hit. And a good counter to him was spine chill + self-care since you could intentionally fail skill checks to wake up in his face.
I agree, new Freddy is bland. He makes the game stale, for both sides, gets to slow down the game massively for doing nothing whatsoever, and frankly the puddles and pallets are both such bad design since they're so easy to get value out of that bad players can wreck good survivors with relative ease.
I don't really miss the most annoying gen stall, tunneling, impossible to stealth since he has wallhacks and is invisible, RNG dependant, basic M1 killer.
He had unique mechanics I agree but he was not fun to play against at all and had so many extremely frustratuing issues when you played him. Chase power would make him too opressive for all the things you could do and without it he was weak due to looping. His design was cool but it was also gamebreaking to a certain point.
I like the new Freddy far more. Strong all around killer that's easy to play so if you're tired of the more hard to play killers you can just go chill and still do well with Freddy.
It was Spine Chill + Self Care that made him unbearable to play. Survivors gained immunity for screwing up and Spine Chill made skill checks appear faster. And Self Care was THE meta at the time.
Otherwise if he was played as a hit n run killer, he felt great. And the omnipotence of seeing auras outside his TR was powerful though extremly exploitable.
The only thing I miss about old Freddy was his ability to choose who he is in a chase with and being able to ignore people and physically walk through them. Although this had a price that people who weren't in the dream world could walk in front of you as you swung and mess up your lunge. Admittedly I wish some elements of old Freddy would transfer to Wraith and I feel that would give everyone a bit of what they want. Wraith would get some buffs and people who enjoyed old Freddy could try him again in some fashion.
He was fun to play as due to the invisibility and aura reading but those same things made him awful to play against. So as killer I miss old freddy but as survivor I'm glad he's gone.
I think y'all overhyping old Freddy a bit too much. It wasn't good in any capacity, he had no power, he had to wait 7 seconds to hit someone, he was super add-on dependent (either the 2 blocks or z block and pill bottle, or maybe class photo), he had no map pressure, since the slowdown and the aura reading could be shut down in a matter of seconds, he could get cucked by adrenaline and unbreakable, he had no chase ability, auto-aim cucked him a lot and overall he was insignificant. I could easily remember teabagging in front of a Freddy while I was about to sleep, finishing a gen in front of him, rescuing or being rescue from a hook near the gates.
freddy was straight trash, literally waiting 7 seconds to be a trapless trapper, that's why devs ovebuffed him with the rework.
I just want to put it out there - By no means am I saying old Freddy was anywhere near perfect, nor was he amazing. He clearly had plenty of issues, which is why he got a rework. My personal opinion is that I feel his power could've gotten a light rework, given another ability, and overall his power could've been smoothed out, making him viable and more fun to play and play against.
Now, in our imperfect world and especially in our DBD world, nothing is rainbows and sunshine and so there'd be problems either way, but I feel his gameplay could've been far more unique and strategic rather than what it is now.
As some of you have said, the way people played Freddy was quite annoying, but like I said, I think old Freddy needed some significant changes, and making his playstyle a little less irritating would be part of that, among lots of other things.
fine, you could drag people to the dream world from a mediocre distance and they couldn't fully see him, so what?
you're talking like survivors had to complete 8 gens back then...
Yeah current Freddy is just boring. I wish they can redesign his power to better fit him as the dream demon. I'm a survivor main but if I want to wreck some noobs, I use Freddy. He is powerful, but not immersive as a Freddy. They got the right idea when it was Freddy 1.0. I wish they can redesign to something similar.