Making Iron Grasp a DS 'counter'

Food for thought:

If you ever carried something and stubbed your toe for example, sometimes you hold faster onto whatever you are carrying than letting go of it.

So, how about we give IG a certain percentage of countering DS, like, if it ticks, DS fails (and IG is maybe even boosted?) To make it 'fairer' maybe have a momentary stun on the killer that might allow others to use flashlights or sabotage a hook?

Comments

  • So you not only want to be able to carry for extra distance which is a hard counter to hook sabotage and body blocking, but then you want the perk to ALSO counter 1 specific perk that wouldn't get used if you went after the 3 other people on the map?

  • They will never add a counter to DS, they don't want you to counter it.

  • They don't want DS to be counterable with perks. They increased the stun time because enduring countered it, then nerfed enduring to only work with pallet stuns while keeping the new stun duration. They even nerfed unnerving presence which used to make the skill check smaller.

  • @HollowsGrief said:

    They will never add a counter to DS, they don't want you to counter it.

    It’s an interesting idea. I like the thought but agree DS should remain uncountered.

  • @RakimSockem said:

    So you not only want to be able to carry for extra distance which is a hard counter to hook sabotage and body blocking, but then you want the perk to ALSO counter 1 specific perk that wouldn't get used if you went after the 3 other people on the map?

    Your argument would sound less silly if I hadn't seen DS used regardless of how I play my killers. Or are you saying that when I play killer I am not allowed anymore to hit a survivor who just got unhooked and ran into me face first (i wasn't going after them)

  • No. That's such an inelegant way to balance another perk.

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1543003#Comment_1543003

    Your argument would sound less silly if I hadn't seen DS used regardless of how I play my killers. Or are you saying that when I play killer I am not allowed anymore to hit a survivor who just got unhooked and ran into me face first (i wasn't going after them)

    No of course you're allowed to. I don't make a habit of telling people how they can and can't play. But then if you pick them up and get hit by DS instead of going after 3 other people, is that not the fault of the killer player in that situation? That was my only point.

  • No, just change DS to deactivate when a Survivor starts to work on an objective (totem, healing, unhooking or working on a gen). That is all that is needed to truly make it a anti-tunneling perk that can’t be abused.

  • @RakimSockem said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1543014#Comment_1543014

    No of course you're allowed to. I don't make a habit of telling people how they can and can't play. But then if you pick them up and get hit by DS instead of going after 3 other people, is that not the fault of the killer player in that situation? That was my only point.

    It's weird how many of Laurie's perks are so easily exploitable...

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1543021#Comment_1543021

    It's weird how many of Laurie's perks are so easily exploitable...

    I'd be inclined to think they keep her perks kinda nutty so people will buy her, but then again Quentin, Tapp, Steve etc don't have anything remotely meta so who knows.

  • You all are funny thinking that DS is a balanced perk. it is not. They did make the stun 3 seconds, enduring countered that so they increased the stun and then nerfed enduring to not do anything more with that stun. like it was said. i've seen people get off of hooks, stay injured and work on gens, when the killer patrols back they loudly get into a locker and the killer comes, grabs the locker and ds triggers. I have seen this happen to streamers who didn't tunnel, didn't even go back to the hook after the unhook, kept hooking other people and everything. DS needs a down side, and the timer is not a downside. not at 1 minute for rank 3. I have literally hooked three other people and still gotten ds'd that's three other people that had not been hooked before and then the DS hit me. why? because I was too efficient as a killer that time. I've seen people that are rank 8 using it to bully the lower level killers with it.... locker play should shut ds down. generator work should shut ds down. totem cleanse shut ds down. vaulting a window or pallet, should NOT shut DS down. the key is, if you jump on an objective or in a locker ds should not trigger. If i think someone has ds and they jump in a locker i'll drop a bear trap down infront of it and leave it be but that's if i'm playing trapper.

  • @HollowsGrief said:

    They will never add a counter to DS, they don't want you to counter it.

    Pyramid head?

  • @AvisDeene said:

    No, just change DS to deactivate when a Survivor starts to work on an objective (totem, healing, unhooking or working on a gen). That is all that is needed to truly make it a anti-tunneling perk that can’t be abused.

    The devs have stated multiple times that DS isn't an anti-tunneling perk. Lol

  • @Freki said:

    You all are funny thinking that DS is a balanced perk. it is not. They did make the stun 3 seconds, enduring countered that so they increased the stun and then nerfed enduring to not do anything more with that stun. like it was said. i've seen people get off of hooks, stay injured and work on gens, when the killer patrols back they loudly get into a locker and the killer comes, grabs the locker and ds triggers. I have seen this happen to streamers who didn't tunnel, didn't even go back to the hook after the unhook, kept hooking other people and everything. DS needs a down side, and the timer is not a downside. not at 1 minute for rank 3. I have literally hooked three other people and still gotten ds'd that's three other people that had not been hooked before and then the DS hit me. why? because I was too efficient as a killer that time. I've seen people that are rank 8 using it to bully the lower level killers with it.... locker play should shut ds down. generator work should shut ds down. totem cleanse shut ds down. vaulting a window or pallet, should NOT shut DS down. the key is, if you jump on an objective or in a locker ds should not trigger. If i think someone has ds and they jump in a locker i'll drop a bear trap down infront of it and leave it be but that's if i'm playing trapper.

    this is exactly what I wanted to say. thank you.

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    Food for thought:

    If you ever carried something and stubbed your toe for example, sometimes you hold faster onto whatever you are carrying than letting go of it.

    So, how about we give IG a certain percentage of countering DS, like, if it ticks, DS fails (and IG is maybe even boosted?) To make it 'fairer' maybe have a momentary stun on the killer that might allow others to use flashlights or sabotage a hook?

    I kinda did want a perk that directly countered DS (like IG), but some killers would just tunnel every match with the perk. And BBQ, Pop, Corrupt + DS counter would be very strong.

    DS i think is a perk that doesn't need a counter despite it's strong effects, it should just be adjusted to be anti tunnel.

    If I had to give a perk a counter right now it'd be unbreakable 100%, screw that perk.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/182865/making-iron-grasp-a-ds-counter

    I kinda did want a perk that directly countered DS (like IG), but some killers would just tunnel every match with the perk. And BBQ, Pop, Corrupt + DS counter would be very strong.

    DS i think is a perk that doesn't need a counter despite it's strong effects, it should just be adjusted to be anti tunnel.

    If I had to give a perk a counter right now it'd be unbreakable 100%, screw that perk.

    personally I think the time should be maybe 30-37-45 seconds or something like that or make the duration of the stun based upon the rank of the DS. 2-3-4 seconds, still not affected by the perk enduring.

  • @Freki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1543065#Comment_1543065

    personally I think the time should be maybe 30-37-45 seconds or something like that or make the duration of the stun based upon the rank of the DS. 2-3-4 seconds, still not affected by the perk enduring.

    I was thinking, 30 seconds normally, 2x slowdown when in chase, so assuming you get downed at 50 seconds and you were chased off hook, it would last 55 seconds total.

    I feel like this would also reduce the need to program a bunch of requirements like the perk deactivating when on a gen.

    EDIT: also forgot to add that it rewards you for keeping the killer looped while being tunneled. Which I like. I don't think you should get 1 minute of invincibility for going down.

  • @HollowsGrief said:

    They will never add a counter to DS, they don't want you to counter it.

    @Aneurysm said:

    They don't want DS to be counterable with perks. They increased the stun time because enduring countered it, then nerfed enduring to only work with pallet stuns while keeping the new stun duration. They even nerfed unnerving presence which used to make the skill check smaller.

    The thing, to my mind, is that Decisive Strike itself is a counter to Killer tunneling. Deactivating it when restarting objectives would probably help with the abuse of it. My own thought was make the timer go down faster when on an objective, so it still sees potential anti tunnel use without slowing the game (which, as a Survivor perk, or shouldn't do without good reason).

    @Orionbash said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1543024#Comment_1543024

    The devs have stated multiple times that DS isn't an anti-tunneling perk. Lol

    I thought the devs whole thing was that it was an anti tunneling perk post-rework?

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1543021#Comment_1543021

    It's weird how many of Laurie's perks are so easily exploitable...

    well she the queen of scream queens only ones i can think of that come close to her are Sidney Prescott and Nancy Thompson 3 badasses of horror movies.



  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1543069#Comment_1543069

    I was thinking, 30 seconds normally, 2x slowdown when in chase, so assuming you get downed at 50 seconds and you were chased off hook, it would last 55 seconds total.

    I feel like this would also reduce the need to program a bunch of requirements like the perk deactivating when on a gen.

    it would take approximated the same amount of programming i think.

    It'd be checking if DS is active and an activity is undertaken, which would deactivate ds

  • @Orionbash said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1543024#Comment_1543024

    The devs have stated multiple times that DS isn't an anti-tunneling perk. Lol

    Never said that they did. It doesn’t change the fact that it’s a badly designed perk that needs to be changed.

  • DS in its current state is a highly abusable perk, and shiuld be changed, at the least to not work once you are on a generator or in a locker.

    That being said DS wont get changed because it is considered in a good state by the devs. Granted so was Billy pre-nerf but there is a history of going easier on survivors than killers.

    Before anyone comes in with "BuT sUrViVoRs GEt nErfEd tOoOoOooOooOOoOOO," im.not saying that noone gets nerfed. Just as far as balance goes, survivors have been kn the higher end of power since the games inception, its closer than it ever has been buuuuuuuttt... That still doesn't mean that we are "balanced"