Freddy needs a "nerf" to fix how boring he is

Now I am not one to say that Freddy is overpowered by any means, but I do now see why so many people in the community find him annoying. It's the fact that every Freddy runs the exact same build. Freddy gets immese value from BBQ & Pop, & I don't think I have versed a single Freddy that isn't running that perk combo in months. 75% of the Freddy's I face are hardcore anti-gen build Freddys, often using the slower action speed addons on top of his anti-gen perks.

Another thing that contributes to Freddy having such a high kill rate based on the data is the fact that his kit has so much to it. He can anti-loop/track efficiently with his snares (or opt to exchange that for mindgaming potential with his pallets), get from one side of the map to another in seconds (also a potential mindgame), he hard counters BT (I actually like this on him), he can slow down survivors (with addons, & most oftenly with perks too), & his lunge is crazy. Now I know the devs said his lunge is normal & that the animation just doesn't match up, but if that's actually the case that needs to be fixed ASAP. Legion is like the same size as Freddy & doesn't seem to have that problem. Basically you have to assume that Freddy has an extra foot or so ahead of him that can count as a hit on you. This seems to be why Freddy can hit through pallets so well. Either way, it's annoying to have to guess at what range you can be hit by Freddy.

My solution would be to somehow limit how effective anti-gen Freddy can be & fix his lunge. You could make aura reading not work on awake survivors, increase his teleport cooldown, or something. His anti-gen meta is way too common & honestly makes playing against him super unfun. As a solo survivor, it's a pain trying to beat a good Freddy because generally my team ends up all over the place & no one can ever seem to finish a gen. He is also the reason why I feel Chreyl's new gen blocker teachable will become meta. Preventing him from using Pop would be his downfall because most Freddys rely so heavily on it.

Comments

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1315486#Comment_1315486

    Cat Block - allows you to play as old Freddy.

    Z Block - allows you to play as old Freddy with all of old Freddy’s add ons simultaneously 🤣🤣🤣

    That would make the Block Add-ons actually have use.

    (Oh, and also indirectly makes Object of Obsession completely worthless against Old Freddy.)

  • Some yall so bias it's not even funny x.x Freddy has always been top tier dont be so blind. Hes got an arsenal and with certain perks impossible to win against a try hard or maybe 1 survivor will survive lol...imo needs reworking/adjusting on his kit.

  • @DelsKibara Saw the title of the thread and thought of you, lol.

  • @Maperson said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1315549#Comment_1315549

    And how long u wait to find the game? Killers are op? How many second chance's survivors have? Swf isnt op? Cmon man

    Not long. 5 mins tops for survivor and seconds for killer. Yes, killers are OP. Irrelevant as they're counterable. Not really.

  • @BloodMoneyMerc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1314492#Comment_1314492

    I never said survivor perks didn't need nerfing or changing either. This post is just about Freddy & why I am starting to understand people that say he is boring.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1314627#Comment_1314627

    That is why I put nerf in quotation marks. I don't think he needs a nerf as a killer, but something needs to changing to shake up his meta. Every Freddy I go against in the same & it's why I am getting annoyed when I go up against him.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1314480#Comment_1314480

    I'm just voicing my thoughts on why Freddy comes off as boring for me. I know that most survivors are boring as well, running the same meta perk builds most of the time. Just because I'm talking about Freddy in this post doesn't mean I think survivors are fine. Honestly, all the super meta perks need looking into.

    Yeah im pointing out the hole in your logic there. Just because a lot of Freddys run optimal builds for that character isnt a good reason to nerf him. If we did that, then by that same logic we should be nerfing the crap out of a bunch of survivor stuff just because so many people run the same ones. Thats silly. Thats a silly thingbyoure saying.

    And no, I dont think we should be nerfing survivor perks

  • @LordGlint said:

    @DelsKibara Saw the title of the thread and thought of you, lol.

    Heh. Honestly, I hope I'm not the only one getting tired of seeing posts that has "boring" in the title.

  • @Diggly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1314487#Comment_1314487

    He is far from uncounterable, BBQ is one of the easiest perks in the game to counter (lockers are everywhere my friend) and Pop takes 25% off a gen, and since the standard gen for a solo person is 80 seconds, that is 20 seconds of progress. Even less so if there are more people there to help you. So you are getting this incredibly upset over 20 seconds.

    People who say Freddy is overpowered often are just bad at loops, so instead of learning to get better or try and counter a killer they dislike they instead give up, pull out an excuse to explain why they lost.

    Except for when your solo q and the game is taking so long to end even if you properly loop him giving yourself as much time as possible before throwing the pallet or even mind gaming him and running to another pallet eventually against a good freddy all the pallets will be gone and it's a easy down and everyone. This is even worse when playing in solo q with randos who throw every pallet they come across even if their no getting chased anymore.

  • @Rydog said:

    Every killer uses BBQ and Pop like 80% of the time. This indicates a problem with those perks, not with any specific killer.

    And Freddy is fun as heck.

    Wouldn't say they're OP as perks though, just very good. If perks like Surge or Spies (yes, the nerf was too harsh imo) were meta again, you'd see a heavy decline in these perks.

  • @Diggly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1314656#Comment_1314656

    So, basically all gen regression and slowdown perks should be removed because it is unfair for killers to get rewarded for doing well. Should kicking gens be removed too?

    Also, camaraderie exists, so there is a perk that extends struggle timer, so maybe not the best example to use.

    Thanataphobia is still the same as it was when the game came out. None of the slowdown perks have got a rework but the game has changed so much since 2016 that those slowdown perks really need to be looked at. This is coming from a killer Main

  • @Rizora18 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1314678#Comment_1314678

    Thanataphobia is still the same as it was when the game came out. None of the slowdown perks have got a rework but the game has changed so much since 2016 that those slowdown perks really need to be looked at. This is coming from a killer Main

    And camaraderie is useless the killer knows when a survivor is near when using that perk just a free down pretty much.

  • @Rizora18 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1314678#Comment_1314678

    Thanataphobia is still the same as it was when the game came out. None of the slowdown perks have got a rework but the game has changed so much since 2016 that those slowdown perks really need to be looked at. This is coming from a killer Main

    Hex: Ruin.

  • One perk bud. Wow man people are always trying to make what someone says invalid.

  • @Rizora18 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1315719#Comment_1315719

    One perk bud. Wow man people are always trying to make what someone says invalid.

    I would have rather ruin stayed how it was anyway. Got changed for babys

  • Honestly can we just stop complaining about him? There is thousands complaints about him on a daily there gonna nerf him soon. People have been crying about how he is on a daily there probably already working on how to nerf him.

  • @Rizora18 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1315719#Comment_1315719

    One perk bud. Wow man people are always trying to make what someone says invalid.

    None of the slowdown perks have got a rework

    No no, I'm just correcting you because what you said was wrong. Hex: Ruin got reworked from Skillchecks to Passive Generator Regression.

    I just don't like people saying stuff that isn't true, because in a forum like this someone might take that idea and spam it on every thread

  • There's that word again. "Boring"

    Freddy is one of the most fun killer mechanic wise, its not just someone sneaking around or a killer right up your back with a chainsaw. Lot more interactions with freddy.

    Now strength and frequency wise I can see why he might start feeling stale, but cmon. Enough with the calling strong killers boring just because the devs said they're balancing to make things fun.

  • The only two things i'd change about Freddy are:

    - Remove the stackable Hinderance effect of his Snares. Atm they are braindead to use.

    - Remove the slowdown add-ons altogether. No killer should have slowdowns as an add-on. Even status effects caused by add-ons are questionable too.

  • @DelsKibara said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1315722#Comment_1315722

    None of the slowdown perks have got a rework

    No no, I'm just correcting you because what you said was wrong. Hex: Ruin got reworked from Skillchecks to Passive Generator Regression.

    I just don't like people saying stuff that isn't true, because in a forum like this someone might take that idea and spam it on every thread

    You also have Dying light, another slowdown perk that received a complete rework

  • @LordGlint said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1315729#Comment_1315729

    You also have Dying light, another slowdown perk that received a complete rework

    Right, almost forgot about that. Though that is mainly because I rarely used Old Dying Light ^^;

  • My only problem with it are the traps, it generally never breaks pallets and only limits itself to putting a thousand traps on the loop.


    I would go so far as to say that I have never encountered a freddy who breaks the pallet instead of using traps ... I do not remember a single time and that I run into it often.

  • @Onyx_Blue said:

    The only two things i'd change about Freddy are:

    - Remove the stackable Hinderance effect of his Snares. Atm they are braindead to use.

    - Remove the slowdown add-ons altogether. No killer should have slowdowns as an add-on. Even status effects caused by add-ons are questionable too.

    2020-05-30 21_45_51-Template_Add-ons_ Chainsaw (Hillbilly) - Official Dead by Daylight Wiki.png

    Also the amount of slowdown isn't really that much. At worst it only adds 9 seconds and that's assuming everyone is asleep and Freddy is using Swing Chains.

  • @Onyx_Blue said:

    The only two things i'd change about Freddy are:

    - Remove the stackable Hinderance effect of his Snares. Atm they are braindead to use.

    - Remove the slowdown add-ons altogether. No killer should have slowdowns as an add-on. Even status effects caused by add-ons are questionable too.

    Quite afew killers have slowdown effects in their addons, Freddy is nowhere near unique in that.

    afew examples...

    https://deadbydaylight.gamepedia.com/Begrimed_Chains https://deadbydaylight.gamepedia.com/Begrimed_Head https://deadbydaylight.gamepedia.com/Sulphuric_Acid_Vial https://deadbydaylight.gamepedia.com/Rusty_Attachments


  • @DelsKibara said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1315722#Comment_1315722

    None of the slowdown perks have got a rework

    No no, I'm just correcting you because what you said was wrong. Hex: Ruin got reworked from Skillchecks to Passive Generator Regression.

    I just don't like people saying stuff that isn't true, because in a forum like this someone might take that idea and spam it on every thread

    I see @DelsKibara my fault I'm just so used to everyone invalidating everyone else. I should have worded it better I knew ruin got nerfed and dying light got a rework. Ruin should have stayed how it was. Smh

  • @DelsKibara said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1315816#Comment_1315816

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/B2DPD2174S21/2020-05-30-21-45-51-template-add-ons-chainsaw-hillbilly-official-dead-by-daylight-wiki.png

    Also the amount of slowdown isn't really that much. At worst it only adds 9 seconds and that's assuming everyone is asleep and Freddy is using Swing Chains.

    for 9 seconds, youd need swing chains AND Jump rope combined

  • @LordGlint I know, hence why I said "no killer" meaning my argument isn't exclusive to him. I thought adding the comment about status effects would make that clear

  • @Dead_by_Gadfly said:

    Hes not boring or OP, I love himbjust the way he is. Swear to God this community over uses the word boring. If you find killers that boring maybe go play Civ 6 instead

    AGREED ITS JUST HIS PLAY STYLE IN A LOOP HES REALLY ######### NOT MUCH HE CAN DO THERE UNLIKE HUNTRESS OR PYRAMID HEAD THAT CAN JUST STOP PLOOPS FOR DAYS

  • @Onyx_Blue said:

    @LordGlint I know, hence why I said "no killer" meaning my argument isn't exclusive to him. I thought adding the comment about status effects would make that clear

    What type of addons ARE acceptable to you then?

  • oh ######### here we go again

  • The ones that aren't braindead. Which is kinda the whole reason people hate Freddy. Even old Freddy had braindead mechanics to him.

    Seems like the only people who like Freddy enjoy how ridiculously easy he is. Take that any way you want.

  • @Onyx_Blue said:

    The ones that aren't braindead. Which is kinda the whole reason people hate Freddy. Even old Freddy had braindead mechanics to him.

    Seems like the only people who like Freddy enjoy how ridiculously easy he is. Take that any way you want.

    Why does every viable killer need to require a masters degree in order for you to find it acceptable for people to play as them? Playing survivor is brain dead 90% of the time, why does it HAVE to be super hard for a killer character? You guts just come off as salty that youre so brain dead you cant figure out how to counter him, and he is counterable.

  • I don’t find him op or boring. I just think facing him is more of an endurance test because gens will take longer, and the match will take longer to the point where it shifts to the killer’s advantage. It requires thinking “oh I can’t throw down pallet after pallet” but I have never felt like “I don’t know how I could have done better” against a Freddy compared to a spirit.


    This is as a survivor main I feel this way

  • @Rizora18 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1314678#Comment_1314678

    Thanataphobia is still the same as it was when the game came out. None of the slowdown perks have got a rework but the game has changed so much since 2016 that those slowdown perks really need to be looked at. This is coming from a killer Main

    Thanatophobia has gotten changes since 2016, most recently in 2018. It was a buff that increased the values because it was severely underperforming. Look at the 2.6.0 update for the numbers. Most slowdown perks were not in 2016 either, other than Ruin. Which as we all know got a massive change. And most other slowdown perks require input from the killer (Pop, Thrilling Tremors, Overcharge, Dead Man's Switch) so if you make nerf them, they will not be run. Because why should that gives me little to no actual benefit?

  • @Dead_by_Gadfly wow lol you do realise i'm talking about his add-ons in the comment you quoted, right?

    But now that you mention it, the fact that a killer is ridiculously effortless to learn and vs isn't a fun experience as a gamer. "You're trying to outplay this tile? *snare x5* outplay that? Oh, you drop a pallet and peel away early?" Boring. you can obviously perform evasive jukes vs every killer, but the general gameplay of Freddy is this: -chase, snare, hook, project, POP, chase, snare, hook, POP...then you got slowdown add-ons and maybe other slowdown perks on top of that. Are really saying he is a healthy killer to vs?

  • @Kellie said:

    Freddy sucks

    He does not:( he's fun:D

  • Nothings more boring than new impossible skillcheck doctor

  • @Onyx_Blue said:

    @Dead_by_Gadfly wow lol you do realise i'm talking about his add-ons in the comment you quoted, right?

    But now that you mention it, the fact that a killer is ridiculously effortless to learn and vs isn't a fun experience as a gamer. "You're trying to outplay this tile? *snare x5* outplay that? Oh, you drop a pallet and peel away early?" Boring. you can obviously perform evasive jukes vs every killer, but the general gameplay of Freddy is this: -chase, snare, hook, project, POP, chase, snare, hook, POP...then you got slowdown add-ons and maybe other slowdown perks on top of that. Are really saying he is a healthy killer to vs?

    I think hes a healthy killer for the game in general absolutely. Not everyone wants to spend hundreds of hours getting good with 1 killer before they can start doing well. Freds like a gateway into being a killer. Hes simplistic in learning but so is survivor. When killers get bored they move on to harder killers. Why is that a problem? Once you know survivor you know it, you dont have to learn a whole new characters powers and master them the way you do with killer, so absolutely I think its good for there to be a few that dont take forever to learn.

  • Lol use distortion or lockers to hide your aura, or Cheryls incoming perk to block him from teleporting or using Pop.

  • @Falkner09 said:

    Lol use distortion or lockers to hide your aura, or Cheryls incoming perk to block him from teleporting or using Pop.

    Distortion has only 3 charges, BBQ is unlimited. Lockers are sometimes miles away. That unfair counterplay options. It's time BBQ loses the aura reading. It's too much information for simply doing the objective.

  • @Diggly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1314649#Comment_1314649

    Ds and unbrekable are not Op. You can counter DS with slugging. You can only use unbreakable once as well. They are not overpowered because they synergize well with each other. DS is often overestimated to the point where you'd think it forced killers to crash the second it was used. Unbreakable can be a bit of a risk to use as well since if the killer does not slug, it has literally no use.

    You just proofed that you are a baby survivor and don’t even know why Unbreakable is OP.


    The reason why Unbreakable OP is because it makes you recover faster at all times and also you can 99% it.

  • @Dead_by_Gadfly did you see my initial comment for this post? The two things that Freddy should have changed is the slowdown add-ons and the stackable Himderance effect from his Snares. Those are what makes him braindead, the fact that you can oppress a loop area so badly that it minimisez certain interactions between the survivor and killer. Accompanied with the fact certain perks are more or less abusable by him; eg PGTW add to this void of dullness he is in. If Freddy had no stackable Hinderance, his chases would be way more fun, take skill and they'd still be strong. That is what my point is, not "ugh I can't counter him" or "every killer should have a god level skill-cap".

  • @SpiritLover1133 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1314662#Comment_1314662

    You just proofed that you are a baby survivor and don’t even know why Unbreakable is OP.

    The reason why Unbreakable OP is because it makes you recover faster at all times and also you can 99% it.

    If the killer doesn't slug, it does not matter if you recover 30% faster. And that does not make it OP in the slightest... Overpowered means you have no ways to actually combat it, or countering it is an extreme task in itself. If you slug a lot then Unbreakable counters you, but being countered does not make it OP, all it means is you should try and adjust your playstyle to better play against it (Do not slug as much or if you believe somebody has Unbreakable try and keep an eye on your slug, something like Deerstalker helps with this.)

    Also, if you are going to insult me, you might want to make sure you are not making a fool of yourself. "Proofed."

  • @Diggly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1316166#Comment_1316166

    If the killer doesn't slug, it does not matter if you recover 30% faster. And that does not make it OP in the slightest... Overpowered means you have no ways to actually combat it, or countering it is an extreme task in itself. If you slug a lot then Unbreakable counters you, but being countered does not make it OP, all it means is you should try and adjust your playstyle to better play against it (Do not slug as much or if you believe somebody has Unbreakable try and keep an eye on your slug, something like Deerstalker helps with this.)

    Also, if you are going to insult me, you might want to make sure you are not making a fool of yourself. "Proofed."

    Well, im not an english speaker so I don’t care if I make mistakes at least I can present my ideas in multiple languages.


    And how the heck you gonna win a game against good SWFs without slugging ????? Its impossible. Yet again you proofed you are a baby survivor.

  • @Diggly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1314649#Comment_1314649

    Ds and unbrekable are not Op. You can counter DS with slugging. You can only use unbreakable once as well. They are not overpowered because they synergize well with each other. DS is often overestimated to the point where you'd think it forced killers to crash the second it was used. Unbreakable can be a bit of a risk to use as well since if the killer does not slug, it has literally no use.

    DS rewards the survivor for being hooked. Slugging can waste a killers time if they don't need to slug, and DS is very OP in the endgame. The killer deserved to down the survivor, only to be striked. Unbreakable isn't as offensive as DS but it is still a crutch, because unbreakable metaphorically creates another survivor, see space coconuts videos for a more in depth explanation.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Easy fix. Revert him back. I and a lot of Freddy mains would be very happy.

    We don’t hate the rework. They did an excellent job. But speaking for myself I desperately miss old Freddy.

    I have mained Freddy since release, and OG Freddy was an A tier killer, with addons like class photo. But the new Freddy has even more pressure than before with his gen teleport, and he can semi counter looping.

  • @SpiritLover1133 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1316202#Comment_1316202

    Well, im not an english speaker so I don’t care if I make mistakes at least I can present my ideas in multiple languages.

    And how the heck you gonna win a game against good SWFs without slugging ????? Its impossible. Yet again you proofed you are a baby survivor.

    Even then, Unbreakable only allows them to get up once. By your logic, No Mither is the most OP perk because it allows you to get up over and over. You have little to no idea what you are talking about.

    #NerfNoMither

  • @Diggly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1316209#Comment_1316209

    Even then, Unbreakable only allows them to get up once. By your logic, No Mither is the most OP perk because it allows you to get up over and over. You have little to no idea what you are talking about.

    #NerfNoMither

    DO YOU EVEN PLAY DBD?????


    No mither makes you injured the whole game, Unbreakable does not.... so why compare the two perks when they are irrelevant.

  • @Sluzzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1314634#Comment_1314634

    And you know you can fall asleep mid-chase, no way to wake up.

    Drop the pallet and run, wake up once you get away.

  • @Orionbash said:

    Freddy is definitely OP by all means. I'm not scared to say it. Any killer that uses Freddy is just looking for an easy 4K. He requires no skill whatsoever. Just drop pallets or snares, and BBQ and Pop to the next objective as soon as you down a survivor to wash/rinse/repeat.

    The fact that the devs have left him in this state despite knowing his stats (Near 4k average, btw) is honestly offensive to those that play survivor and is further proof that this game is very killer-sided.

    Freddy is literally the easiest killer to counter in the game. If you wake up, he has literally no power. You can't do that with any other killer

  • @SpiritLover1133 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1316226#Comment_1316226

    DO YOU EVEN PLAY DBD?????

    No mither makes you injured the whole game, Unbreakable does not.... so why compare the two perks when they are irrelevant.

    No no, but you say getting up from the dying state once is the most OP thing, and no mither is a perk that allows you to do it as much as you want must be even more OP. They are very very relevant to one another.

  • @CosmicParagon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1315545#Comment_1315545

    Freddy is literally the easiest killer to counter in the game. If you wake up, he has literally no power. You can't do that with any other killer

    But yet being hit puts you in the dream world which makes no sense especially since in the movies pain puts you in the real world. Don't forget the constant micro sleep and the clocks that spawn the farthest away from you. Freddy is annoying...

1 2 3