Anyone else want a perk point system? Killer and survivor

first, I love the new chapter so far and all the planned changes. Devs are definitely moving in a good direction IMHO

The one other big thing I’d like to see is a perk point but system for each match. Just a rough idea but you get 10 points for perks and “meta perks,” would be like 3-4 so if you run BT and DS the other two perks need to be meme/bad/situational perks.

Same for killers if you wanna run Infectious fright and BBQ then be ready to fill the other slots with Monstrous shrine and third seal.

This would make things a little more interesting, no more seeing 2-3-4 survivors with the same build every game and you’d get some neat build combos if killers start experimenting. Also if a perk needed balanced a quick fix would be to adjust points.

The biggest problem I see with this that for some killers perks would be 2-3 points like maybe Surge, but for m2 killers it should only be a 1 pointer.

Comments

  • Like you have 10 points to fill.

    DS = 4 Points

    Windows of Opportunity = 2

    Lithe = 3 points

    We'll Make It = 1 Point.


    Like that?

    Dead Hard = 4 Points

    Sprint Burst = 3 Points

  • No. You sound like a salty killer main that got adrenaline/DS bombed and is trying to find a way to nerf them.

  • I've been suggesting limiting what perks can be mixed together. If you look at the recent chapters we hardly get anything that shakes up the meta because it's too powerful with what we already have. Most perks now are very niche or just flat out awful.

    @Orionbash said:

    No. You sound like a salty killer main that got adrenaline/DS bombed and is trying to find a way to nerf them.

    And you sound like a survivor main who runs DS, Adren, DH and unbreakable every single match.

  • @Orionbash said:

    No. You sound like a salty killer main that got adrenaline/DS bombed and is trying to find a way to nerf them.

    I play both sides, I even said killers should have it too... it would prevent a killer from stacking corrupt, butcher and pop for example.

    I could also say the same for you, you sound like a survivor main who literally runs the same exact build every single game.

  • @BigBrainMegMain said:

    Like you have 10 points to fill.

    DS = 4 Points

    Windows of Opportunity = 2

    Lithe = 3 points

    We'll Make It = 1 Point.

    Like that?

    Dead Hard = 4 Points

    Sprint Burst = 3 Points

    Yep, like that.

  • I'm breaking the 4th wall here but I used to play Final Fantasy 11 which was an MMO much like world of warcraft. We had a job called the blue mage. It was a magic user that learned the abilities of monsters. Once you learn a spell you could use it anytime provided you equipped it. However you were limited on how many spells you could equip. You were restricted to about 45 points in total. Some skills were 2 points while the stronger ones were around 8 points. You could equip any spell but you were restricted in how many you could bring to a battle. If you were content with like 5 spells that were 8 points each you could do that. Or go in with 15 different low tier spells. Equipped certain spells even provided perks just for having them. One very sought after perk was called Auto Refresh which caused my magic to regenerate without having to rest but it required about 15 points to equip the spells needed for it. So if I wanted this awesome perk I had to set aside 1/3 of my load out. That sounds very similar to what they are suggesting sort of.

  • Insurgency and Day Of Infamy (And maybe heroes and generals) have a similar system. You have X supply, weapons, attachments, and equipment cost supply, etc. so you have to pick and choose. A better rifle or attachments for the rifle (For example an assault rifle with a grenade launcher and a scope) might mean you have to forgo a secondary, less grenades, armor, etc. + a weight limit so you can't lug around armor + an LMG + a pistol and grenades or something even if you can technically afford it.


    I like the idea of the system but I don't think it can apply to Dead By Daylight very well. Artificially limiting perks feels too harsh and there's going to be a ton of complaining about why X Y and Z perk cost more "Perk Points" than other perks, if certain perks are too cheap for what they do, or people upset some off-meta but fun combo's (STBFL + PYWF + Dying Light + Rancor, Detective's Hunch + Stake Out + Prove Thyself + Better Together, Tenacity + Unbreakable + Flip-Flop + No Mither, etc.) can no longer be used because one perk costs slightly too much if you were balancing them with being used with other strong perks. (I.E. should enduring and spirit fury be priced as if you expect killers to always run one with the other? Endgame perks would probably be cheap besides NOED but can killers still combo NOED with Blood Warden and Remember Me?)


    This then opens up a can of worms if certain perks should cost more on certain killers. Thanataphobia + Blood Echo seems pretty meh but it's very good on Plague or Legion. Unnerving + Distressing + Overcharge + Huntress Lullaby are pretty poo-poo on Myers but are salt-miningly frustrating on Doctor. Deadman's switch is pretty bad but it shockingly has some value on Freddy. Speaking of Freddy BBQ + Pop is used on him way more than any other killer I believe. Should insidious cost more on Leatherface vs Huntress? Should Iron Maiden cost more on Huntress? Stridor costing more on Spirit?


    Another option could be "Dynamic Perk Pricing" similar to when dynamic weapon pricing was tested in Counter-Strike. If X perk is used more on X killer, it'll cost more and vice versa. This, unlike manually assigning perks, would be completely automatic would would probably fail horrendously. I'm just bringing it up as a "Possible" alternative someone might think of when they read this post.


    After it's added for perks, expect people to want it for killer addons too. I.E. people will complain Infantry Belt and Iri Head shouldn't be able to be ran together, (I hate Iri heads personally but whatever, it's in the game.) or that Myers shouldn't be able to combo Tombstone Piece with J Myers Memorial. Or Plague shouldn't be able to combo Black Incense with an Apple addon.


    Basically I like the system in other games, I just don't think it can work in Dead By Daylight because balancing it is going to be a pain, it's gonna upset a decent chunk of players, and it's going to be criticized heavily.

  • So I can't bring Iron Will, Spine Chill, and Balanced Landing. All of them would cost several points. So my stealth build is screwed.

  • @Orionbash said:

    No. You sound like a salty killer main that got adrenaline/DS bombed and is trying to find a way to nerf them.

    Why do people immediately jump to these bad faith responses?

  • This is literally just a "nerf killer" idea. It probably wasn't intended as such, but you've got to remember 1 thing: survivors have 16 perks working for them. The killer has 4. And, on top of that, a solid team can go in naked and thrash just about any killer with killer meta perks, because survivor meta perks (mostly) undo mistakes and you don't need them if you don't make mistakes. The same simply cannot be said of killers: there are 2 members of the cast that do not rely on capitalising on survivors mistakes. Everyone else needs all the help they can get, and that means perks.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    This is literally just a "nerf killer" idea. It probably wasn't intended as such, but you've got to remember 1 thing: survivors have 16 perks working for them. The killer has 4. And, on top of that, a solid team can go in naked and thrash just about any killer with killer meta perks, because survivor meta perks (mostly) undo mistakes and you don't need them if you don't make mistakes. The same simply cannot be said of killers: there are 2 members of the cast that do not rely on capitalising on survivors mistakes. Everyone else needs all the help they can get, and that means perks.

    @Toybasher said:

    Insurgency and Day Of Infamy (And maybe heroes and generals) have a similar system. You have X supply, weapons, attachments, and equipment cost supply, etc. so you have to pick and choose. A better rifle or attachments for the rifle (For example an assault rifle with a grenade launcher and a scope) might mean you have to forgo a secondary, less grenades, armor, etc. + a weight limit so you can't lug around armor + an LMG + a pistol and grenades or something even if you can technically afford it.

    I like the idea of the system but I don't think it can apply to Dead By Daylight very well. Artificially limiting perks feels too harsh and there's going to be a ton of complaining about why X Y and Z perk cost more "Perk Points" than other perks, if certain perks are too cheap for what they do, or people upset some off-meta but fun combo's (STBFL + PYWF + Dying Light + Rancor, Detective's Hunch + Stake Out + Prove Thyself + Better Together, Tenacity + Unbreakable + Flip-Flop + No Mither, etc.) can no longer be used because one perk costs slightly too much if you were balancing them with being used with other strong perks. (I.E. should enduring and spirit fury be priced as if you expect killers to always run one with the other? Endgame perks would probably be cheap besides NOED but can killers still combo NOED with Blood Warden and Remember Me?)

    This then opens up a can of worms if certain perks should cost more on certain killers. Thanataphobia + Blood Echo seems pretty meh but it's very good on Plague or Legion. Unnerving + Distressing + Overcharge + Huntress Lullaby are pretty poo-poo on Myers but are salt-miningly frustrating on Doctor. Deadman's switch is pretty bad but it shockingly has some value on Freddy. Speaking of Freddy BBQ + Pop is used on him way more than any other killer I believe. Should insidious cost more on Leatherface vs Huntress? Should Iron Maiden cost more on Huntress? Stridor costing more on Spirit?

    Another option could be "Dynamic Perk Pricing" similar to when dynamic weapon pricing was tested in Counter-Strike. If X perk is used more on X killer, it'll cost more and vice versa. This, unlike manually assigning perks, would be completely automatic would would probably fail horrendously. I'm just bringing it up as a "Possible" alternative someone might think of when they read this post.

    After it's added for perks, expect people to want it for killer addons too. I.E. people will complain Infantry Belt and Iri Head shouldn't be able to be ran together, (I hate Iri heads personally but whatever, it's in the game.) or that Myers shouldn't be able to combo Tombstone Piece with J Myers Memorial. Or Plague shouldn't be able to combo Black Incense with an Apple addon.

    Basically I like the system in other games, I just don't think it can work in Dead By Daylight because balancing it is going to be a pain, it's gonna upset a decent chunk of players, and it's going to be criticized heavily.

    Good points, and I definitely considered that it wouldn’t work as well on killers especially because like you say certain perks are useless in one killer and meta on another.

    But here’s the thing you can do it to survivors and not killers without an uproar.

    And yes addons for killers would probably be interesting too, but they’d really just doing it to get rid of Iri/extra hatchets and billy insta saw, the combos people see as OP. It would be simpler to just nerf the addons in that case IF IF IF you feel they need it.

  • I used to not be a fan of this idea but it's been growing on me more and more. It would allow the devs to keep making very strong perks without worrying about them getting all stacked together.

    That said, if their balance team were the ones deciding how much points each perk would get I'd be terrified. It's been quite clear for years that whoever the balance team is, they don't play the game at high ranks.

  • @johnmwarner said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1309395#Comment_1309395

    I play both sides, I even said killers should have it too... it would prevent a killer from stacking corrupt, butcher and pop for example.

    I could also say the same for you, you sound like a survivor main who literally runs the same exact build every single game.

    Not a survivor main. I'm both rank 1 in Killer and Survivor. I play both equally. I just know, from playing killer, that Killer is OP and needs nerfs. Survivors are very weak at the moment with the addition of dead zones and killers knowing they can camp/tunnel now and get away with it. So a perk point system would only make that worse. Thankfully the new survivor perks that come with Cheryl (Heather...) will be a healthy addition to the game.

    And I do run the same build every game. Sprint Burst/Iron Will/Inner Strength/Spine Chill. It has a counter for almost every killer/killer build.

  • @Orionbash said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1309417#Comment_1309417

    Not a survivor main. I'm both rank 1 in Killer and Survivor. I play both equally. I just know, from playing killer, that Killer is OP and needs nerfs. Survivors are very weak at the moment with the addition of dead zones and killers knowing they can camp/tunnel now and get away with it. So a perk point system would only make that worse. Thankfully the new survivor perks that come with Cheryl (Heather...) will be a healthy addition to the game.

    And I do run the same build every game. Sprint Burst/Iron Will/Inner Strength/Spine Chill. It has a counter for almost every killer/killer build.

    As long as SWF exists, killer will always be weaker.

    That's 4 brains against 1. I'm also not saying the game should be balanced around that.

    SWF>Killer>Solo.

  • @Blueberry said:

    I used to not be a fan of this idea but it's been growing on me more and more. It would allow the devs to keep making very strong perks without worrying about them getting all stacked together.

    That said, if their balance team were the ones deciding how much points each perk would get I'd be terrified. It's been quite clear for years that whoever the balance team is, they don't play the game at high ranks.

    Agreed, their balance changes always come from the community, and we still can't get everyone in the proper mindset.

  • @BigBrainMegMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1310247#Comment_1310247

    Agreed, their balance changes always come from the community, and we still can't get everyone in the proper mindset.

    I get they are more focused on mid-low rank players as that's the majority of the player base. This makes sense from a business standpoint.

    However, it's harder to put a number on the amount of new players that those high rank players bring in through their streams and youtube channels as those people are usually the high rank players. Also, an imbalanced high ranking system causes you to have trouble keeping those new players that come in once they climb ranks. Lastly the negative effect of poor high rank balancing is one of the things we see now which is less high rank killers, which in turn causes the high rank survivors to bleed down and bully/ruin the experience of those newer players.

    I honestly think that to fix this problem of trying to balance for all ranks, that they need to implement rank based changes to matches. Ex: more gens required the high rank and less gens at lower ranks. Don't take this idea in a literal sense, but simply the concept of making the game easier for low ranks and harder for high ranks, however they decide to go about that.

    This makes more sense when we see we have an unusually high survival rate at rank 1 and an unusually high death rate at low ranks.

    There's just such a large skew in skill level between high and low ranks that makes it very hard to balance them all together simultaneously.

  • @Blueberry said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1310261#Comment_1310261

    I get they are more focused on mid-low rank players as that's the majority of the player base. This makes sense from a business standpoint.

    However, it's harder to put a number on the amount of new players that those high rank players bring in through their streams and youtube channels as those people are usually the high rank players. Also, an imbalanced high ranking system causes you to have trouble keeping those new players that come in once they climb ranks. Lastly the negative effect of poor high rank balancing is one of the things we see now which is less high rank killers, which in turn causes the high rank survivors to bleed down and bully/ruin the experience of those newer players.

    I honestly think that to fix this problem of trying to balance for all ranks, that they need to implement rank based changes to matches. Ex: more gens required the high rank and less gens at lower ranks. Don't take this idea in a literal sense, but simply the concept of making the game easier for low ranks and harder for high ranks, however they decide to go about that.

    This makes more sense when we see we have an unusually high survival rate at rank 1 and an unusually high death rate at low ranks.

    There's just such a large skew in skill level between high and low ranks that makes it very hard to balance them all together simultaneously.

    Problem with that is people would depip, or whatever is possible in the new system o get those easier games.

    @Blueberry said:

    I used to not be a fan of this idea but it's been growing on me more and more. It would allow the devs to keep making very strong perks without worrying about them getting all stacked together.

    That said, if their balance team were the ones deciding how much points each perk would get I'd be terrified. It's been quite clear for years that whoever the balance team is, they don't play the game at high ranks.

    The new strong perks is a good point. Almost anything they make goes unused because there are generally 6-8 perks people actually use. But if they make a perk strong enough to break into that toll group it can upset the balance. And again this goes for killer and survivor builds.

  • Honestly it is a good idea but how do you go about ranking perks? Even some situational perks are insanely strong and some meta perks are broken at times or, in the case of ruin, not as strong as they once were

  • @xBEATDOWNSx said:

    Honestly it is a good idea but how do you go about ranking perks? Even some situational perks are insanely strong and some meta perks are broken at times or, in the case of ruin, not as strong as they once were

    For killers it would be difficult, for example scale of 1-4 I still think Ruin is a 4 on billy or spirit because they can pressure Survivors off of all gens at once. Meanwhile on someone like trapper or Hag it’s probably a 2 because they spend a minute setting up and it could be gone by then.

    Survuvors could be easier to rank, for example I think we could all agree DS and BT are 4 while babysitter and poised is a 1. But there are some combos that could turn two 1 point perks into a solid strategy.

  • @Blueberry said:

    I used to not be a fan of this idea but it's been growing on me more and more. It would allow the devs to keep making very strong perks without worrying about them getting all stacked together.

    That said, if their balance team were the ones deciding how much points each perk would get I'd be terrified. It's been quite clear for years that whoever the balance team is, they don't play the game at high ranks.

    Yeah I don't trust the balance team one bit. Anyone who puts 50 hours into both sides could have told them MoM was a bad idea. Whoever thought of patch 1.9.2 should be fired.

    Now that I think about it. A point system may be too difficult to balance. Instead just put the perks into 4 categories. Perk slot 1, 2, 3 and 4. Put all the 2nd chance perks in slot 4 so you can't stack them.

  • It would make sense to limit it according to perk colors or yeah points but nah. It would make sense and should be a thing for SWF. Solo is already unfun no matter how many crutch perks I would take.

  • @EvilJoshy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1310247#Comment_1310247

    Yeah I don't trust the balance team one bit. Anyone who puts 50 hours into both sides could have told them MoM was a bad idea. Whoever thought of patch 1.9.2 should be fired.

    Now that I think about it. A point system may be too difficult to balance. Instead just put the perks into 4 categories. Perk slot 1, 2, 3 and 4. Put all the 2nd chance perks in slot 4 so you can't stack them.

    Yeah I'm not sure how something like original MoM gets looked at on the drawing board and seems like a good idea. The fact that MoM even made it to the PTB in that state is mind boggling to anyone with even a decent amount of hours as you said.

  • @EvilJoshy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1310247#Comment_1310247

    Yeah I don't trust the balance team one bit. Anyone who puts 50 hours into both sides could have told them MoM was a bad idea. Whoever thought of patch 1.9.2 should be fired.

    Now that I think about it. A point system may be too difficult to balance. Instead just put the perks into 4 categories. Perk slot 1, 2, 3 and 4. Put all the 2nd chance perks in slot 4 so you can't stack them.

    That would be interesting, and again could be done for both sides.

    Survivors get Second chance, Exhaustion, healing and chase/stealth as their four groups.

    Killers would get location/tracking, gen slowdown, chasing and I dunno some other fourth category?

    Would still accomplish not letting survivors stack all 4 meta perks they want and keep killers from doing gen defense slowdown forever builds. It would take away meme builds through like all hex killer or all four exhaustion perks that people for for silliness

  • Most killer perks are trash compared to survivor perks

  • I appreciate you thinking outside the box, but I don't think this is a good idea for DBD. It's already a living nightmare to get every perk to rank 3 on a character, but to then be restricted from using them too? No thanks. If perks become too meta and ruin the game, they need to nerfed OR new perks need to be developed to entice players away from the meta ones they hold dear OR new perks developed to counter the meta.