New to DbD, what is tunneling and looping???
Hello, I'm pretty new to this game but fell in love with it quick but I don't know what a couple of things are yet. For instance what is tunneling? Something the killer does I guess but not sure. Also looping. I think it's where you go around a pallet while being chase, but isn't that a tactic? Not sure what is frowned upon by the community or praised.
Comments
"Tunneling" based on the phrase "Tunnel Vision". It is an accusation applied for when you focus on one survivor over others. Most accusations about tunneling are stupid as the decision to focus on one person is perk driven or common sense. (Dying Light/Remember Me) or targeting an injured person over an uninjured one are examples.
Looping is as you guessed, running in a circle around obstacles. It seems boring to me and a number of others so killers loathe it and most survivors like it, resulting in a community divide.
Looping is when you run a circle around a pallet or any other obstacle. It wastes the killers time.
On a more serious note tho, it's just that the killer focuses on you and no one else. This phrase will often be used, if you ignore that clown with a flashlight who tries to get your attention.
One of the "?problems?" with our community is that our terms that we use are evolving and constantly changing.
For instance, "face camping" is a term you will probably come across in some way eventually. This term originally indicated an abuse of mechanics by the killer. The killer would block the hook by standing in front of it, and prevent the prompt from showing up for survivors. This was patched out by allowing survivors to pull a hooked victim from three sides of the hook instead of just one.
The term "face-camping" continued to get used by enough users to indicate that killer was staring into a hooked victim's face. Several players became divided over this terminology, and some attempted to incorporate a new term: "hard camping".
The new term is still met with some resistance today.
All that said....
"Tunneling" to me personally is when a killer targets the easiest target and keeps targeting even when other prey becomes available. Even after an unhook, the killer will continue to target the unhooked target.
I personally wouldn't do this unless I also intended to kill the rescuer in the same move too. Unfortunately, most rescuers vanish way better than my previous victims.
Looping however, I have noticed has a similar terminology problem.
The original term "Looping" used to...and, still does in my opinion, refer to running as a survivor around a "standing" pallet in a circle while being chased by the killer. After a few circles, and the killer is just about to hit you....you throw the pallet down....and then run to the next pallet spot and rinse and repeat as necessary.
Some people...thankfully not many I hope....is under the impression that "running the killer around", no matter how....is considered "looping".
I personally feel the term is too premature. "Running the killer around" or "Running from the killer" seems to fit the description way better....even if it is a small phrase.
It's not a new term. It was used concurrently with facecamping to reflect the type of camping that is now referred to as facecamping by those who don't know what facecamping actually means.
Sorry, then I was wrong on that part. I never heard the term used until recently. Thank you for the correction. Solid reliable data is important.
Looping is frowned upon, because it is basically an exploit.
Abusing the different geometries of survivor and killer collisionboxes and the effect that killer slow down while they "strafe" (moving any other way than just pressing W) and get slowed down while they are in contact with an object.
That way survivor in 3rd person view, with the smaller collisionbox, can run around obstacles faster, almost negating the speed advantage of killer.
And by the time the killer catches up, they use pallets or windows to get away.
Pallets are still powerful AND plenty, which make the problem worse.
Looping is also a factor in the gen rush issue, because it wastes a lot of the killers time doing his objective -chasing and killing- and gives all remaining survivors the time to do their objectives, which are done way to fast anyway.
A decent looper can waste the killers time for 3 gens to be done. So the survivor have done 3/6 of their objective by the time the killer has done 1/6 or 1/12 of his objective (depending on how you determine a "win" for the killer; 2 kills = win or 4 = win?).
I play more Killer than survivor and the part that i hate most is when 1 survivor is the last man stand and both have to search for the hatch... And many times when i see the hatch the survivor and the killer stay near of the hatch waiting for survivor to jump through the hatch for the killer grap him... I am just waiting for the animation to close the hatch...
Please, everyone knows games weren't a thing until DbD came out. If there were games before that, then why did everyone assume everyone else with a private profile had it because of DbD?
I have to disagree on "Most accusations about tunneling are stupid as the decision to focus on one person is perk driven" since 8/10 times I'm tunneled. it's not because of that. How do I know these stats? because I've been playing 2+ years and never has it changed and also I record my games
Ok so ehm.

Nvm...
######### lmao
This one is even better!
Tunneling doesn't exist, so don't worry
I.....have never been tunneled...I swear...I'm pure....