New player here having the worst experience

As the headline implies I'm a brand new player, and the other night I played a killer match with Myers and killed 3 of the 4 survivors. I thought, "Cool!", but the completely broken matchmaking system must have thought that I was a veteran after that game because the next 3 games I got destroyed! 


My season level 20 was being matched up against level 9 and lower. Those survivors/players not only knew what they were doing, but their perks ensured that I had no chance. Every single survivor escaped in all three matches. So I went online to learn what I can be doing better, and gamers said to invest in the teachable perks from other killers. You have to be at level 30+, but they said it makes a world of difference. My Myers is only level 9 so I knew I was in for a grind. Well come to find out, you have to unlock those teachable perks with those specific killers first before you can purchase it for someone else. So an already grindy game just turned into a massive grind, and for someone that has, at best, an hour a night to play games (work and parenting), ensures that not only is this going to take me months, but the matchmaking system will ensure that I won't have fun until I do.


When this game fires on all cylinders it can be a blast! It's just unfortunate that those experiences are few and far between. Too bad the game can't have bots so that way new players like myself can level up enough to ensure they have a more balanced experience down the line with more advanced players. Going up against bots may make the game incredibly easy, but it's better than getting wrecked in every single match.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • Its nothing new, just gotta hope the replacement will do its job.

    The one thing you should be happy with though, as that in principle this is only done to make sure you get a match to begin with and not just sit there in lobby for 300 years.

  • Welcome to dbd I guess

    matchmaking and the grind system we have is pushing a lot of new players away and it will only get worse each year

    If you are up to you can carry on playing, but it's gonna be hard since you will be paired with players that shouldn't even be playing against you

    good luck

  • @ZoneDymo said:

    Its nothing new, just gotta hope the replacement will do its job.

    The one thing you should be happy with though, as that in principle this is only done to make sure you get a match to begin with and not just sit there in lobby for 300 years.

    Yeah it's nice getting into a match, but when almost every match plays out the same exact way for new players, it leads players like myself to look elsewhere. Friday the 13th had bots, so I can't understand why DBD can't as well?

  • @SweetTerror said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1218602#Comment_1218602

    Yeah it's nice getting into a match, but when almost every match plays out the same exact way for new players, it leads players like myself to look elsewhere. Friday the 13th had bots, so I can't understand why DBD can't as well?

    Because that would require the devs to program bots when they seem to struggle to understand efficient gameplay

  • That's DbD at the moment. When a game is fun and everyone is being nice it's a blast but like you've learned they are far and few between these days. You're honestly better off only getting an hour a day anyways, I can barely stand 2 matches sometimes.

  • Sorry to hear that, fellow slasher. Hopefully they'll fine tune matchmaking but in the meantime I'd focus on just learning the ins and outs of your specific killers mechanics and basic stuff of the game(learning how much distance to leave so pallets don't bonk you, get a feel for your cooldown, vaulting and breaking speeds. Learning your lunge and basic hit boxes, learning angles to avoid flashlight glare, etc.) Happy hunting!

  • Firstly, it's widely known that the matchmaking is terrible, but the good news is that we should be getting a new matchmaking system soon that will hopefully fix a lot of the issues with the current one.

    Secondly, perks don't make as much of a difference as you've been led to believe. Killers who rely on specific perks to do well are not good killers. You would be better off looking into ways to improve using that killer's power (and possibly add-ons) without worrying too much about your loadout. By all means work your way towards unlocking teachable perks on the other killers, but don't look at perks as your ticket to success, or the reason why you're not doing well now, because they are neither of those things.

    Also, if it helps, while it is demoralising to get crushed game after game, sometimes it can help to boost your morale if you remind yourself that the reason you lost was simply because those players are better and more experienced than you are, and that is to be expected and therefore there is no shame in losing in a situation like that. If you're getting matched against high-ranked players all the time, you can look at each game as a learning opportunity rather than a potential win. Learning is the goal, winning is a bonus. (The only reason I recommend this is because it's the mindset that I've trained myself to have when I'm learning a new killer, and I've personally found it extremely helpful.)

  • Appreciate the help all! Glad to know I'm not alone in this. I'll keep at it, but if I keep having similar experiences, then it probably won't be for long.

  • There is definitely a learning curve to this game and the wonky matchmaking system doesn't help

    Some of it will just be trial and error as you figure out what works (and just as important, what doesn't work), some of it will be things you learn from watching your opponents (I've become a much better survivor because I play killer a lot and I try to learn tricks that my opponents play on me), and some you'll learn looking into the game with things like wikis, this forum, or YouTube videos.

    It's a fun game if you can get past some of the more frustrating bumps in the road

  • @SweetTerror said:

    Appreciate the help all! Glad to know I'm not alone in this. I'll keep at it, but if I keep having similar experiences, then it probably won't be for long.

    If killer keeps being a terrible experience, consider trying Survivor out. Learning what you could do as a Killer from the Survivor's perspective is also pretty important and visa versa.

  • @SweetTerror said:

    As the headline implies I'm a brand new player, and the other night I played a killer match with Myers and killed 3 of the 4 survivors. I thought, "Cool!", but the completely broken matchmaking system must have thought that I was a veteran after that game because the next 3 games I got destroyed! 

    My season level 20 was being matched up against level 9 and lower. Those survivors/players not only knew what they were doing, but their perks ensured that I had no chance. Every single survivor escaped in all three matches. So I went online to learn what I can be doing better, and gamers said to invest in the teachable perks from other killers. You have to be at level 30+, but they said it makes a world of difference. My Myers is only level 9 so I knew I was in for a grind. Well come to find out, you have to unlock those teachable perks with those specific killers first before you can purchase it for someone else. So an already grindy game just turned into a massive grind, and for someone that has, at best, an hour a night to play games (work and parenting), ensures that not only is this going to take me months, but the matchmaking system will ensure that I won't have fun until I do.

    When this game fires on all cylinders it can be a blast! It's just unfortunate that those experiences are few and far between. Too bad the game can't have bots so that way new players like myself can level up enough to ensure they have a more balanced experience down the line with more advanced players. Going up against bots may make the game incredibly easy, but it's better than getting wrecked in every single match.

    Have you tried giving survivor a go? In my experience it’s a little bit less perk reliant, but the perks you get on the default characters are really good anyway for new players - Meg has Sprint Burst, Claudette has Self Care, and Nea has Urban Evasion, which are all pretty great to start.

    This way you can grind some bloodpoints and put them into your killers, since bloodpoints you earn on either side can be used for both. It will also help you to understand how survivors think and play so you’ll have a better understanding of your opponents.

    That said, this game is insanely grindy and it has a difficult learning curve. If you’re looking for something less intensive it may not be the right game for you, unfortunately.

  • It might get fixed after this next patch to fix some of the maps, but honestly it's a very overdue update, so i'm waiting out to see peoples opinions.

    I tried the maps on the PTB, and as I do like most of the changes. Still the past many updates still left a bad taste in my mouth as a red rank killer with 3000 hours in the game. Been really enjoying this break, and especially other asymetrical games that have more balance, and feeling of reward for playing.

    TL;DR - You're getting into these bad matches because most Killers just get to red ranks, and then leave for the month because playing Killer has been far too stressful for a long time.

  • The grind for new players now is just absurd. Takes hundreds of not thousands of hours to even unlock the perks you need or want, and that's even assuming you bought the licensed dlc. They need to cut this god awful grind down with something. Hell even doubling the rewards for dailies or introducing harder weekly challenges that pay out more could be an option.

  • I feel your pain, as all of us have had to start from that point at some point in time. Anyway, if it makes you feel any better, some of the perks that are unlocked by default (obtainable through bloodweb) are pretty good, such as Spies from the Shadows. Whispers is also pretty good but takes practice to get used to.

  • I'm interested to hear from other new players who might share or disagree with this post.

  • I think it would also go a long way if every killer could have their own trial. Videos are great, but they can also be misleading. It would be incredibly helpful if we could all test out each killer's skills before hopping into a match. Because being thrown into a live match with a killer you're not familiar with is like being thrown into the deep end and being expected to swim. And if you're new to swimming (i.e. this game), then you're SOL.

  • @SweetTerror

    Do you play on PC or console?

    The grind is really bad for new players, I understand that. So I would say to play all killers and survivors find out your playstyle for killer and use the knowledge of playing both sides to help in improving

    Also the archives are new and offer challenges for BP (and rift points) so doing those can ease some of the pressure of the game as a whole...

    I wouldn't worry about MM or rank... go into every game trying something new or learning what works for you... this game can be a lot to take in but use what you know to improve how you play...

  • Devs, read this the thread. The grind in this game is prohibitively ridiculous for a new player at this point. The game can't grow if people are expected to invest 500 hours into a perk grind.

  • @RaSavage42 said:

    @SweetTerror

    Do you play on PC or console?

    The grind is really bad for new players, I understand that. So I would say to play all killers and survivors find out your playstyle for killer and use the knowledge of playing both sides to help in improving

    Also the archives are new and offer challenges for BP (and rift points) so doing those can ease some of the pressure of the game as a whole...

    I wouldn't worry about MM or rank... go into every game trying something new or learning what works for you... this game can be a lot to take in but use what you know to improve how you play...

    PS4. Getting into a match can sometimes take a little long but otherwise I don't have a problem. It's just that once I do get into a match that's when everything goes south as sometimes I'm being tasked with capturing survivors that are all single digits vs my level 20 killer.


    I don't want to quit as it can be blast to play, but the grind is just too much to ask for new players that don't have hours upon hours of free time.

  • @coppersly said:

    That's DbD at the moment. When a game is fun and everyone is being nice it's a blast but like you've learned they are far and few between these days. You're honestly better off only getting an hour a day anyways, I can barely stand 2 matches sometimes.

    Me the same I just played one match and bye SWF swat team btw Of course they ruined my experience and I ruined theirs

  • @Fibijean said:

    Firstly, it's widely known that the matchmaking is terrible, but the good news is that we should be getting a new matchmaking system soon that will hopefully fix a lot of the issues with the current one.

    Secondly, perks don't make as much of a difference as you've been led to believe. Killers who rely on specific perks to do well are not good killers. You would be better off looking into ways to improve using that killer's power (and possibly add-ons) without worrying too much about your loadout. By all means work your way towards unlocking teachable perks on the other killers, but don't look at perks as your ticket to success, or the reason why you're not doing well now, because they are neither of those things.

    Also, if it helps, while it is demoralising to get crushed game after game, sometimes it can help to boost your morale if you remind yourself that the reason you lost was simply because those players are better and more experienced than you are, and that is to be expected and therefore there is no shame in losing in a situation like that. If you're getting matched against high-ranked players all the time, you can look at each game as a learning opportunity rather than a potential win. Learning is the goal, winning is a bonus. (The only reason I recommend this is because it's the mindset that I've trained myself to have when I'm learning a new killer, and I've personally found it extremely helpful.)

    So if killers who need specific perks so do are survivors with all their 4 meta perks? They are bad players right?

    (sorry go back from a SWF game you will know what that mean)

  • @Fibijean said:

    Firstly, it's widely known that the matchmaking is terrible, but the good news is that we should be getting a new matchmaking system soon that will hopefully fix a lot of the issues with the current one.

    Secondly, perks don't make as much of a difference as you've been led to believe. Killers who rely on specific perks to do well are not good killers. You would be better off looking into ways to improve using that killer's power (and possibly add-ons) without worrying too much about your loadout. By all means work your way towards unlocking teachable perks on the other killers, but don't look at perks as your ticket to success, or the reason why you're not doing well now, because they are neither of those things.

    Also, if it helps, while it is demoralising to get crushed game after game, sometimes it can help to boost your morale if you remind yourself that the reason you lost was simply because those players are better and more experienced than you are, and that is to be expected and therefore there is no shame in losing in a situation like that. If you're getting matched against high-ranked players all the time, you can look at each game as a learning opportunity rather than a potential win. Learning is the goal, winning is a bonus. (The only reason I recommend this is because it's the mindset that I've trained myself to have when I'm learning a new killer, and I've personally found it extremely helpful.)

    "Killers who rely on specific perks to do well are not good killers"

    While I think I understand what you mean, this sentence sounds very elitist and unhelpful to this particular players problem. They don't have the experience to be a "good killer" and as a newer player do need perks to help them with any weakpoint in their build or playstyle.

    If they have problems following scratchmarks they'll need predator.

    If they have problems following blood they'll need bloodhound and sloppy butcher.

    You need to remember that you're talking to a newer player who doesn't have the experience and skill you do to be able to play as a perkless killer and do well against a group of survivors with much more experience than you.

  • @SpaceCoconut said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1218668#Comment_1218668

    "Killers who rely on specific perks to do well are not good killers"

    While I think I understand what you mean, this sentence sounds very elitist and unhelpful to this particular players problem. They don't have the experience to be a "good killer" and as a newer player do need perks to help them with any weakpoint in their build or playstyle.

    If they have problems following scratchmarks they'll need predator.

    If they have problems following blood they'll need bloodhound and sloppy butcher.

    You need to remember that you're talking to a newer player who doesn't have the experience and skill you do to be able to play as a perkless killer and do well against a group of survivors with much more experience than you.

    But think about what he is saying.

    "I should just be able to step into a new game with other players who have hundreds if not thousands of hours and perform at the same level as them"

    What other game do you think that applies to? Maybe an FPS? Even then, you will still get butchered in something like CSGO. Definitely not any strategy game. And id say DBD is closer to a strategy game than anything for killer, because most of the killers are not mechanically intensive in any way.

    As to the OP, just slap on "no one escapes death", the most broken perk in the game, and collect some free kills even if you get stomped on.

  • @SpaceCoconut said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1218668#Comment_1218668

    "Killers who rely on specific perks to do well are not good killers"

    While I think I understand what you mean, this sentence sounds very elitist and unhelpful to this particular players problem. They don't have the experience to be a "good killer" and as a newer player do need perks to help them with any weakpoint in their build or playstyle.

    If they have problems following scratchmarks they'll need predator.

    If they have problems following blood they'll need bloodhound and sloppy butcher.

    You need to remember that you're talking to a newer player who doesn't have the experience and skill you do to be able to play as a perkless killer and do well against a group of survivors with much more experience than you.

    I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make, but it's worth clarifying in case someone else did as well.

    In saying that, I wasn't trying to suggest that the OP shouldn't use perks or that using perks to help you makes you a bad killer. I was specifically talking about the other "gamers" who are apparently telling them that they have to get certain perks in order to do well in the game. There is a difference between using perks to boost your abilities and believing that perks are the only way to succeed. What I was trying to say was that those people who were implying the latter probably rely overly much on perks themselves, which is why they are advising new players to do so, and are probably not actually very good at the game. Therefore, OP should be cautious about modelling himself after those people or taking their advice too much to heart.

    The idea wasn't to discourage him from using perks, but to encourage him by letting him know that he isn't doomed to lose as long as he doesn't have the right perks, because he seemed to be getting pretty down about that based on some dodgy advice.

  • @Primalux135 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1218668#Comment_1218668

    So if killers who need specific perks so do are survivors with all their 4 meta perks? They are bad players right?

    (sorry go back from a SWF game you will know what that mean)

    Yes, the same goes for any player. Perks are great and useful. They are designed to let you do things that you might not have been able to pull off otherwise. But if you cannot win (not "don't always win" or "win less" but "can't win ever") without using particular perks, then you're not a very skilled player.