Is fun gameplay dead here?
I started playing this game a couple years ago and thought it was great fun. I play mostly survivor solo with the occasional 2 person SWF, and only killer for dailies pretty much. So prob a 90%-10% split, just so you know where I am coming from.
When I started there were basic social rules people more or less followed and everyone had a good time, win some lose some kinda play. It was not cool to slug a whole team, tunnel a legit kobe, team up and flashlight killers, hide for 45 minutes keeping the killer hostage (before EGC), etc. And for the most part people worked within these basic 'don't be a douche' parameters.
In the last year every change seems to suck a bit more fun and feel out of the game. Archive promoted tunneling and camping with 1/2 it's challenges, EGC w/o adjusting the door placements pretty much sealed the fate of a lone survivor, nerfing hex:ruin, hatch changes, tool box nerfs, heals nerfs, changes to pig hats (you should not be able to escape with one on). And then the final nail in this degrading coffin, DC penalty.
DC penalty more than any other change has brought out the worst in people. I feel like since this change 85% of my matches the killers just slug and tunnel everyone to death. They are not doing objectives or playing at all, just what is the dirtiest quickest way to 4k and move along. Everyone gets low points. These matches used to be the exception not he rule, and they are not fun to play. But these people know that you are trapped with them now and can not DC, which may have promoted better game play in the past because no killer wants a 4 DC game so they can wait in another 10 minute lobby. Now they are confident that you are either trapped with there bad behavior or wil be punished if you chose otherwise, win win for bad players.
And do not let me lay this solely on killers. I just had a match where a fellow random survivor followed the other team mates around the map and jumped in and out of windows and lockers and blew gens to get the killer to down and kill them. They the killer gave them hatch. So toxic behavior is not a one sided scenario at all.
But why is this happening? Why are people suddenly feeling entitled to ruin other players game experience because they can? People will argue that people DCing on them was worse than putting up with aggravating behavior but I disagree strongly. Especially when it crap behavior is greeting you in the majority of matches. There has got to be a better way to deal with problems besides just blocking people from being able to play and game they paid for.
Why were people DCing in the 1st place?
Would a block list system help so you could avoid poor players in the future?
Maybe penalize people who appear on more than 100 block lists? (They are probably a problem)
Looking for input and ideas because I am very dissatisfied with the DC penalty system in place, I think it has sucked a ton of fun out of the game and want things to improve.
Comments
A few days ago I had a Jake meme on me and make constant noise notifications because I wouldn't give him the basement chest. I had to run the killer around for 3 gens.
The way I see it, escaping is a team effort. Pipping can be done even if you get dealt a bad group.
Higher rank people are less likely to want to mess around, because their precious pip is on the line.
As far as killer goes, just run unbreakable. Expect your enemy to play dirty.
I was going to make a very similar topic. I don't think it's necessarily just the DC penalty,but I mostly agree with what you are saying. A lot of these things could be sorted out if they do something about matchmaking. If you are a low rank/low skill killer,what are you supposed to do against red ranks if you don't want to depip? Resort to BS tactics.
Get good only goes so far. I'm usually in green rank, medium skill,and the fun is definitely slipping away as killer. I either get reds with flashlights,maps and keys...or low ranks I get 4ks against before they even pop a gen sometimes. I'm not saying I can't beat reds,but a lot of them act in such a frustrating manner,then act like they did something special. Like bro,I watch videos too,you aren't coming up with no tricks.
Then as survivor you get the problems you mentioned. Camping,slugging etc. Sometimes I really can't blame them,but it's still not fun. Still I can't bring myself to quit. I just kinda keep hoping they fix stuff. I guess you can't fix toxicity,or the lack of red rank killers...but there's ways to alleviate a lot of the issues.
For killer and solo survivor, the game is a dice roll. It just is what it is.
I think a lot has changed as the game evolved. Specifically the no heal meta. It used to be hit someone and if they got away they would go heal. Gens weren't a constant threat.
You had time to chase, could be more lenient on tunneling, play a bit less sweaty.
Then the ruin nerf combined with no heal meta and every second began to count.
I agree. There was a time when killers took pride in hitting red ranks playing under the "survivor rule book". But that luxury in time is hard to find anymore and has created this sweat fest, which increased the use of unfun tactics.
I played this game for two years and in my experience nothing changed for the better or worse regarding the players behaviour.
Both sides seem to feel like they’re on a time crunch now and they play like it, it sucks. After the Self Care nerf, the no heal meta was inevitable - otherwise you spend so much time healing against killers that can so easily injure you again in a second, like Legion. And after the Ruin nerf, the slugging meta was just as inevitable since coordinated survivors can do gens so fast.
Survivors feel like they don’t have time to heal, and killers feel like they don’t have time to hook, reducing the fun for both sides.
nice bait
Well said!