A possible fix to 99ing exit gates

I see a lot of people complain about 99ing exit gates and survivors avoiding the EGC entirely. I had an idea about how to change the gates to be a bit more fair to everyone.

  • When a gate is between 0 - 95%, you start adding charges to the gate immediately upon pressing the action button.
  • When a gate is between 95 - 100%, the gate only gets charges after a longer version of the pulling down the lever animation plays.
  • The animation does not play if you are already holding the switch down as it enters 95%.
  • When at least 2 survivors on your team are dead, this animation is removed and you immediately add charges like before.

The exact numbers are not final, maybe the animation should start at 90% instead of 95% or maybe only 1 survivor on your team needs to be dead to remove the penalty, but those are besides the point. The point is that you can still get gates very close to 99%, but if the killer was chasing someone to the gates then the survivor would suffer a penalty to opening them that could get them killed. As a result of this, 99ing gates would be more of a tradeoff instead of the survivor getting all the benefits of a open gate and none of the downsides.

What do you think of my idea? I really appreciate any feedback.

Comments

  • God forbid giving survivors the chance to maximize their outcome when killers can slug the 3rd person to get a 4K :0

  • Make Entity kill 1 random survivor after every 1/4 of the end game time bar, or make gates regress back to 0%.

  • @28_stabs said:

    Make Entity kill 1 random survivor after every 1/4 of the end game time bar, or make gates regress back to 0%.

    @ZFennecFox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1139730#Comment_1139730

    We know that what we want is to put pressure on survivors to make on the fly moves not just to all heal up at a 3 lit door then bone rush the hook because they can.

    Opening the door your self as a Killer isn't very advantageous because it freely provides the Survivors a means of escape. Changing EGC to the last gen puts the pressure on survivors to make these so called last minute things.

    This game is so survivor favored already how about cutting the Killers a break and actually making survivors sweat once in a while. "Do I look for his totem or do I save myself?, do I go for this unhook?" Give survivors a bit of stress room.

    EGC isn't a tool for killers, stop trying to make it so, the EGC is ONLY meant to make sure matches end, it's not supposed to force survivors to do anything, it's not supposed to kill them, it's only to stop survivors sticking around and immersing themselves for 30 minutes after the gates are open.

  • @NullEXE said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1139922#Comment_1139922

    Give it a rest with your mind games. I don't even know when I once said anything that would even try to make me sound like a victim 🤣. I am red ranks survivor just as much as I am a red rank killer. I abuse 99ing the exit gate, and hatch just as much as the next guy. Which is why at the same time I understand that if you are playing a game where your one and only goal is it "Survive at any means neccesary". Ignoring that objective to give another player the chance at securing that same objective should come with some kind of fallback on yourself. It should not be that you can just 99 a door, and then 2 people escape for free.

    Then again with this thread and several other threads I see you in. This is all you can do to try and push your personal survivor sided opinions.

    what mind games? Yet again playing victim to nothing, as per usual. this is yet another issue, anything survivors do is "abuse", not strategy, anything killers do is "strategy" and not abuse. It's double standards and it's boring. and with this whole "survivor sided opinion bs", what survivor side exactly? I'm sorry that I understand the EGC isn't supposed to apply pressure and is only meant to provide the match with a definite end, not force survivors into doing things or not doing things, this is yet another thread of killers not understanding mechanics and then trying to turn them into something that benefits them. It's utterly useless talking to you anyway because you think ending the match after 5 gens are done is a good idea, nice defeatist attitude, have you ever once said "I played bad this match" or is it always "wow survivors are so strong". I can muster a guess as to which you go for lmao.

  • There isn't a problem to fix. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1140710#Comment_1140710

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1140097#Comment_1140097

    EGC isn't a tool for killers, stop trying to make it so, the EGC is ONLY meant to make sure matches end, it's not supposed to force survivors to do anything, it's not supposed to kill them, it's only to stop survivors sticking around and immersing themselves for 30 minutes after the gates are open.

    And DS must be only anti-tunneling thing, but survivors use it to genrush and protect unhookers. A free escape.


    I dont care. Make the gates regress or kill survivors. Its for good.

  • @28_stabs said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1140774#Comment_1140774

    And DS must be only anti-tunneling thing, but survivors use it to genrush and protect unhookers. A free escape.

    I dont care. Make the gates regress or kill survivors. Its for good.

    No, killers made the rule that DS must only be used for such, there's plenty of other survivors to down, the only thing I will accept is that DS is an issue at end game, if DS is the thing that makes you lose the match you're just a bad killer. Also how does DS help survivors "gen rush" another made up thing by killers.

  • Gate have three lamps. progress is 25-49, 50-74, 75-99. If you drop gate progress at 99 it will regress to 75%, if 74 to 50% and etc. 

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1140796#Comment_1140796

    No, killers made the rule that DS must only be used for such, there's plenty of other survivors to down, the only thing I will accept is that DS is an issue at end game, if DS is the thing that makes you lose the match you're just a bad killer. Also how does DS help survivors "gen rush" another made up thing by killers.

    DS is a free escape. You can do gens with it.

  • When did the DS description become "Using whatever is at hand, you stab at your aggressor and immediately escape the trial".

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1140843#Comment_1140843

    When did the DS description become "Using whatever is at hand, you stab at your aggressor and immediately escape the trial".

    Trial is shorter than sacrifice time. Do the math.

  • no it's not, stop being bad at dbd.

  • It should just regress to 90%. That seems fair, reasonable and logical. It's common for old gears to not be sturdy and regress in movement.

  • @Peanits said:

    To play devil's advocate here, what are you aiming to fix with this? The EGC isn't made to give you more kills or force people to leave while there's still things to be done (saves, etc.), and if they do refuse to leave, you can always open the gate to force them out yourself.

    If it isn't mean to force people to leave then what is the purpose of it? I was under the impression it was meant to stop people from holding the game hostage and make them leave.

  • @HollowsGrief said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1139730#Comment_1139730

    If it isn't mean to force people to leave then what is the purpose of it? I was under the impression it was meant to stop people from holding the game hostage and make them leave.

    That's exactly why the killer can open the door, because it's ONLY supposed to make sure the game has a definite end.

  • @Peanits said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1139804#Comment_1139804

    None of those are really things that need to be addressed, though. If you are using Blood Warden- and the vast majority of people aren't- you can open up the gates yourself. If you want to start the timer and get add some pressure to the survivors, you can also open the gates yourself. But in either case, this is a direct upgrade to what we had before where you had no control over the situation and solely relied on the survivors opening a gate, in spite of the EGC not being designed to give you more pressure or kills.

    Okay but no killer in their right mind is going to open the exit gate. I'd rather take the moment of hesitation a survivor has to take to open an exit gate, than literally open it for them and let them pass through.

    Better call would just to buff Blood Warden. No reason it needs to activate during the End Game Collapse when the situation is usually already unsalvageable.

  • nope, you are bad, if it take longer than 3 min for you to get out. Baby survivor.

  • I would like a perk that allows passive door regression.

  • @28_stabs said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1140889#Comment_1140889

    nope, you are bad, if it take longer than 3 min for you to get out. Baby survivor.

    lmao give me a video of you leaving in 3 minutes and I'll admit to being a baby survivor.

  • Please keep this discussion on track and avoid the personal insults thanks!

  • @Brucecastro81 said:

    WHY?? YOU CAN JUST FREAKING OPEN

    possible fix to survivors hiding in lockers: The locker teleports into the killer

    possible fix to chests color, like why?

    Does not struggle counter camping ? You give the Killer a free kill in exchange to prevent pressure on hook.

    If open the exit gate (giving Survivors free escapes) are fine because it counters the 99% I don't see any problem with camping/tunneling since you can just die on hook and prevent it.

  • EGC should trigger when the last Gen is done, period.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1140710#Comment_1140710

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1140097#Comment_1140097

    EGC isn't a tool for killers, stop trying to make it so, the EGC is ONLY meant to make sure matches end, it's not supposed to force survivors to do anything, it's not supposed to kill them, it's only to stop survivors sticking around and immersing themselves for 30 minutes after the gates are open.

    Why not make it an interesting mechanic other than what it is. Besides what's to stop survivors from 3 lighting doors and crouching around the map.

    I think I speak for a lot of players when I say this game is horribly survivor sided. Swf, infinite loops,No Ruin Skill checks, the hatch, 16 perks vs 4 perks. The only "Pressure" survivors feel is from insta-down Killers or fast moving ones.

    A change to EGC will put the survivors in a race against the clock instead of just trying to play it stealthily.

    If we can't have that change Blood Warden to a Hex and have it seal off the exit door switch until the totem is cleansed.

  • Nothing wrong with 99ing exit gates.

  • @ZFennecFox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1140774#Comment_1140774

    Why not make it an interesting mechanic other than what it is. Besides what's to stop survivors from 3 lighting doors and crouching around the map.

    I think I speak for a lot of players when I say this game is horribly survivor sided. Swf, infinite loops,No Ruin Skill checks, the hatch, 16 perks vs 4 perks. The only "Pressure" survivors feel is from insta-down Killers or fast moving ones.

    A change to EGC will put the survivors in a race against the clock instead of just trying to play it stealthily.

    If we can't have that change Blood Warden to a Hex and have it seal off the exit door switch until the totem is cleansed.

    "Besides what's to stop survivors from 3 lighting doors and crouching around the map"


    The fact that the killer can open the door too?

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1141983#Comment_1141983

    "Besides what's to stop survivors from 3 lighting doors and crouching around the map"

    The fact that the killer can open the door too?

    Why would the Killer open the door when your main objective is to sacrifice as many survivors as you can. I don't think a majority of the player base would open the door unless they really just give up.

  • @Joao_Bandicoot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1139337#Comment_1139337

    Does not struggle counter camping ? You give the Killer a free kill in exchange to prevent pressure on hook.

    If open the exit gate (giving Survivors free escapes) are fine because it counters the 99% I don't see any problem with camping/tunneling since you can just die on hook and prevent it.

    I didn't say it would help you, but if you get annoyed by three red lights, there you go

  • A possible fix to 99% exit doors. Open the door yourself..

    Can't believe the devs didn't think about this sooner.

  • @ZFennecFox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1142238#Comment_1142238

    Why would the Killer open the door when your main objective is to sacrifice as many survivors as you can. I don't think a majority of the player base would open the door unless they really just give up.

    What? Are you like switching topics mid conversation? If survivors have 99'd the gates and are "crouching around the map" without anyone neednig saved or healed, then why wouldn't you open the gate? You're obviously not finding them if they aren't going for saves etc?

    I don't find the game "horribly" survivor sided at all, I find it fun on both sides, most of the times I "win", sometimes I lose.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1142267#Comment_1142267

    What? Are you like switching topics mid conversation? If survivors have 99'd the gates and are "crouching around the map" without anyone neednig saved or healed, then why wouldn't you open the gate? You're obviously not finding them if they aren't going for saves etc?

    I don't find the game "horribly" survivor sided at all, I find it fun on both sides, most of the times I "win", sometimes I lose.

    Why would I open the door if there is still a possibility of getting a survivor on the hook. There is also the odds that a whole train of survivors poor out of the wood works to body block the whole half of the map to the 99% gate.

  • @ZFennecFox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1142303#Comment_1142303

    Why would I open the door if there is still a possibility of getting a survivor on the hook. There is also the odds that a whole train of survivors poor out of the wood works to body block the whole half of the map to the 99% gate.

    I always open the door. If you hook someone after that then the rest of the Survivors do this thing where they're like, "Duuurrrrr we need to go for the rescue!". You just stand at the hook and watch them all throw themselves into your weapon for the 4k.

    It makes sense to open the door immediately so you can get the timer going and pressures them to get out sooner than later.

  • @LordEmrich said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1142329#Comment_1142329

    I always open the door. If you hook someone after that then the rest of the Survivors do this thing where they're like, "Duuurrrrr we need to go for the rescue!". You just stand at the hook and watch them all throw themselves into your weapon for the 4k.

    It makes sense to open the door immediately so you can get the timer going and pressures them to get out sooner than later.

    Let's stop looking at this like its an issue alright lets take a step back. This isn't a rant from me based on past matches or occurrences. I am looking at this as creating a stronger Killer as well as Survivor.

    I see this creating more on the fly problem solving skill opportunities for survivors. Putting them in a situation in which you need to work against the clock and to evolve the skills you need to act in tense moments.

    And as well as improving Killers in the aspect of juggling the survivors as well as juggling the exit gates.

    Changing EGC to actually be a threat raises the skill ceiling for everybody. Obviously swf are still going to be on top because of communication. But the hopes of this change will actually bring out some skill other than the Killer camping 1 survivor at the end to a mentality that he/she could still potentially have a 4K/3K/2K If you can hold the doors.

  • Just make them regress.

  • @ZFennecFox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1142334#Comment_1142334

    Let's stop looking at this like its an issue alright lets take a step back. This isn't a rant from me based on past matches or occurrences. I am looking at this as creating a stronger Killer as well as Survivor.

    I see this creating more on the fly problem solving skill opportunities for survivors. Putting them in a situation in which you need to work against the clock and to evolve the skills you need to act in tense moments.

    And as well as improving Killers in the aspect of juggling the survivors as well as juggling the exit gates.

    Changing EGC to actually be a threat raises the skill ceiling for everybody. Obviously swf are still going to be on top because of communication. But the hopes of this change will actually bring out some skill other than the Killer camping 1 survivor at the end to a mentality that he/she could still potentially have a 4K/3K/2K If you can hold the doors.

    I'd like for it to be an actual threat but gotta make sure the Survivors have fun. I've come to terms with that fact. You gotta understand that, to my knowledge, this is Behavior's only successful game. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So their livelihoods (for the time being) live and die with this game and thus they're not going to do anything to jeopardize the majority of their player base (which are the Survivors).

    Your idea is sound and I believe it's fair but the Survivor side would complain to no end now that they have to immediately go open the door and leave instead of screwing around and leaving when they are good and ready to do so.

  • @LordEmrich said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1142351#Comment_1142351

    I'd like for it to be an actual threat but gotta make sure the Survivors have fun. I've come to terms with that fact. You gotta understand that, to my knowledge, this is Behavior's only successful game. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So their livelihoods (for the time being) live and die with this game and thus they're not going to do anything to jeopardize the majority of their player base (which are the Survivors).

    Your idea is sound and I believe it's fair but the Survivor side would complain to no end now that they have to immediately go open the door and leave instead of screwing around and leaving when they are good and ready to do so.

    It is an inescapable fact that survivors would rather tea bag the Killer than actually leave since the threat of them being hooked is abysmal. I'm just holding out hope that this game becomes something that requires an decent amount of skill not just hold m1 simulator.

  • @ZFennecFox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1142383#Comment_1142383

    It is an inescapable fact that survivors would rather tea bag the Killer than actually leave since the threat of them being hooked is abysmal. I'm just holding out hope that this game becomes something that requires an decent amount of skill not just hold m1 simulator.

    I'm not too sure what else they could implement besides "go find object and take object here".

  • We have a perk that is supposed to mess with the opening of exit gates, but Remember Me is not in a good place right now. But if Remember Me substracted seconds from the gates whenever they hit 100% It could become and interesting perk in the current meta.

  • I’m not reading all this, but I read some of it and if I was going to make a suggestion. Sorry if this was suggested already.

    Just change Blood Warden.

    Instead of ‘As soon as a Exit Gate is open’ make it ‘As soon as the Exit Doors are powered’. An it doesn’t block the exits but it locks the door for 30 seconds. So, even if they 99 it, if the killer has Blood warden, they still have a chance for an end game play, just as the perk was meant for. An when I say lock, I mean lock. Like as long as the perk is active you cannot gain any progression.

    I’m not 100% on what the new survivor meta would be or if it’s actually a dumb idea but my tired brain seems to think it would be a positive change to the game.

1 2 ›