Does Spirit Require Looking Into Once Again?

It's been just over 2 months since Spirit's adjustments were implemented and i'm going to be raising attention to the same issue that I raised back then.

Now, I have given it some time and felt it was needed to bring up once again; the issue of Spirit having cosmetics which remove the telltale sign of her entering phase within close proximity - her shard glowing. There are multiple cosmetics that do this: her Withering Blight, her Schoolgirl and her Kimono outfits.

When equipped it removes all info needed for a survivor to make an accurate read on the situation and has to guess what the Spirit is doing. She could literally just be standing there watching them waiting for a survivor to make a move into a vulnerable position, and if they don't, she just phases and pops out where they were stood waiting and get a free hit.

The point of this thread is to make notice of how a change would benfit her quality of life in this game. If the Spirit were to have a 100% visible telltale sign of her having entered phase, no matter the cosmetic worn. It would allow more interactive gameplay between the killer player and the survivor player being chased, onlooking at the Spirit etc etc. The fact that the survivor would now have 100% accurate info that the Spirit had activated her phase now opens up the path to new mindgames played on both sides.

The Spirit now knows the survivor is aware of her activating phase so now can remain still while phase is active to see if the survivor vaulted into them or moved into a vulnerable position, away from the loop. The survivor can accurately assess whether or not using the pallet is going to have an effect on the Spirit (making her think the survivor ran through it and dropped or remained on their side). Currently these mindgames are all guess work on the survivors pov. Spirit currently is always going to be in control of the chase at loops since, as pointed out, the survivor has no clear indicator on most of her cosmetics wether she is phasing or not.

The implementation of making her husk give a 100% accurate telltale could be that the Spirit emanates an ethereal glow on the outline of her model; or the husk has zero animation to it and is fixed completely still. These are examples I have come up with, but as always, Devs, the final product is your call.

I raise this issue as an awareness of a glaring imbalance in gameplay when playing Spirit. Survivors are always guessing vs her; she is in control of most chases, mainly at loop areas.

Comments

  • @Demogordon_Ramsay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1060606#Comment_1060606

    Actually, my go-to build on Spirit is BBQ, Monitor, Pop, and Devour Hope. I don’t use Stridor because I don’t think it’s useful because unlike you, I can hear just fine, and thus I win for free.

    When the bugged sounds started becoming really problematic, I stopped playing Spirit because I thought I would actually have to start putting effort into her to do well, and I played Spirit for that exact opposite purpose. However, I can still brute-force my way to a 4K without relying on anything except bugged audio just fine.

    My personal favorite Spirit match was where I absolutely destroyed a team who had 3 Iron Will users with no effort whatsoever. It was pretty lit.

    I agree, you learn to pay closer attention to the sounds after a while.

    A friend who basically only ever plays survivor was streaming his killer games on discord (he was getting rid of his dailies mostly) so I watched one or two.. and guided him "oh there's someone running to your left, you can hear their footsteps" "someone was in that jungle gym to your right 5 seconds ago, a crow just landed"

    It's the small little things I didn't pay attention to when I started that makes me find survivors much easier now that I know what to look/listen for.

  • @Demogordon_Ramsay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1060217#Comment_1060217

    I’m not going to argue this with you. I have picked up the sounds of Survivors breathing normally while using Iron Will, and those alongside every other sound they make are completely the same as when they are healthy. If you can’t hear it, then you either need hearing aids or Stridor, because it’s absolutely there.

    I can't believe somebody actually trying to convince someone NOT KNOWING about it. Like, seriously, before even trying to "not argue" about a thing at least watch a video or something. Here, random video from internet:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ5_316Fkto

    0:40 she runs healthy, 7:12 she runs injured, only footsteps (damn, I miss those times!).

    Video is too old for you?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n0h28xyEek

    2:20 HEAVY BREATHING, like a smoker, 6:15 silent running, no breathing, only footsteps.

    Please, do your home work before arguing!

  • @avilmask said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1060404#Comment_1060404

    I can't believe somebody actually trying to convince someone NOT KNOWING about it. Like, seriously, before even trying to "not argue" about a thing at least watch a video or something. Here, random video from internet:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ5_316Fkto

    0:40 she runs healthy, 7:12 she runs injured, only footsteps (damn, I miss those times!).

    Video is too old for you?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n0h28xyEek

    2:20 HEAVY BREATHING, like a smoker, 6:15 silent running, no breathing, only footsteps.

    Please, do your home work before arguing!

    I have done my homework, it’s called “I play Spirit and this doesn’t happen to me.”

    Seriously, this small sample of crappy bugs hardly makes a case. Iron Will does NOT make your running silent. You are seriously crazy if you think that’s a feature.

  • @Demogordon_Ramsay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1060856#Comment_1060856

    I have done my homework, it’s called “I play Spirit and this doesn’t happen to me.”

    Seriously, this small sample of crappy bugs hardly makes a case. Iron Will does NOT make your running silent. You are seriously crazy if you think that’s a feature.

    Oh, so it was bugged. So I guess I should make a report that since first time I ever used it it never gave any sounds in injured state. Oh boy people gonna be happy when Iron Will will be fixed at least. Come on, man, why are doing this?

  • @avilmask said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1060880#Comment_1060880

    Oh, so it was bugged. So I guess I should make a report that since first time I ever used it it never gave any sounds in injured state. Oh boy people gonna be happy when Iron Will will be fixed at least. Come on, man, why are doing this?

    Why are we? Because you’re trying to sit here and tell me that Iron Will counters Spirit when it just makes injured Survivors the same as healthy Survivors that Spirit needs to hit in order to activate Iron Will.

  • @Demogordon_Ramsay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1060889#Comment_1060889

    Why are we? Because you’re trying to sit here and tell me that Iron Will counters Spirit when it just makes injured Survivors the same as healthy Survivors that Spirit needs to hit in order to activate Iron Will.

    You do you, I gave you two videos from 2018 and from 2020 that both confirm the behavior.

    Didn't see yours so I call your point "untrustworthy".

  • @avilmask said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1060901#Comment_1060901

    You do you, I gave you two videos from 2018 and from 2020 that both confirm the behavior.

    Didn't see yours so I call your point "untrustworthy".

    I’ll trust my own self continuing to freely dominate as Spirit whenever I feel like being a toxic sonuvabitch.

  • There is absolutely nothing wrong with spirit's passive phasing. If you fall for it you should feel bad.

  • @Onyx_Blue said:

    It's been just over 2 months since Spirit's adjustments were implemented and i'm going to be raising attention to the same issue that I raised back then.

    Now, I have given it some time and felt it was needed to bring up once again; the issue of Spirit having cosmetics which remove the telltale sign of her entering phase within close proximity - her shard glowing. There are multiple cosmetics that do this: her Withering Blight, her Schoolgirl and her Kimono outfits.

    When equipped it removes all info needed for a survivor to make an accurate read on the situation and has to guess what the Spirit is doing. She could literally just be standing there watching them waiting for a survivor to make a move into a vulnerable position, and if they don't, she just phases and pops out where they were stood waiting and get a free hit.

    The point of this thread is to make notice of how a change would benfit her quality of life in this game. If the Spirit were to have a 100% visible telltale sign of her having entered phase, no matter the cosmetic worn. It would allow more interactive gameplay between the killer player and the survivor player being chased, onlooking at the Spirit etc etc. The fact that the survivor would now have 100% accurate info that the Spirit had activated her phase now opens up the path to new mindgames played on both sides.

    The Spirit now knows the survivor is aware of her activating phase so now can remain still while phase is active to see if the survivor vaulted into them or moved into a vulnerable position, away from the loop. The survivor can accurately assess whether or not using the pallet is going to have an effect on the Spirit (making her think the survivor ran through it and dropped or remained on their side). Currently these mindgames are all guess work on the survivors pov. Spirit currently is always going to be in control of the chase at loops since, as pointed out, the survivor has no clear indicator on most of her cosmetics wether she is phasing or not.

    The implementation of making her husk give a 100% accurate telltale could be that the Spirit emanates an ethereal glow on the outline of her model; or the husk has zero animation to it and is fixed completely still. These are examples I have come up with, but as always, Devs, the final product is your call.

    I raise this issue as an awareness of a glaring imbalance in gameplay when playing Spirit. Survivors are always guessing vs her; she is in control of most chases, mainly at loop areas.

    You should complain to the NFL that 'juking is unfair, each player should know what's going on at all times. even if i'm partially retartded, I should be able to tell.'

  • @SurvJoe said:

    i would also nerf her addons especially red and green ones for speed and for recovery she is already quite strong without addons

    Because the point is to make this a game that isn't scary, and isn't a horro game. good job joe.

  • @Demogordon_Ramsay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1060079#Comment_1060079

    Have you tried actually gitting gud with him? I used to think Oni was one of the worst Killers in the game, but frankly, he’s one of the best. I bet you just think he’s bad because neither you nor most people are used to playing Killers with an actually reasonably steep skill curve.

    I don’t typically agree with Scott on a lot of things, but this basic guide should give you some ideas how to play Oni.

    https://youtu.be/KfvciT6nnB8

    @Demogordon_Ramsay said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1060606#Comment_1060606

    Actually, my go-to build on Spirit is BBQ, Monitor, Pop, and Devour Hope. I don’t use Stridor because I don’t think it’s useful because unlike you, I can hear just fine, and thus I win for free.

    When the bugged sounds started becoming really problematic, I stopped playing Spirit because I thought I would actually have to start putting effort into her to do well, and I played Spirit for that exact opposite purpose. However, I can still brute-force my way to a 4K without relying on anything except bugged audio just fine.

    My personal favorite Spirit match was where I absolutely destroyed a team who had 3 Iron Will users with no effort whatsoever. It was pretty lit.

    Monitor let your opponents hear if you're phasing or standing still becouse of the TR changes :') poor guy, go back to play the Oni into Gideon Meat's plant, if you call it "fun & balanced" I would just mark the word "fun" which doesn't exist in your vocabulary. GL at finding offerings to go there in your bloodweb

  • @Ohnoes i'm not talking about her passive phasing. And for the time being i'm taking @WRussoW's tips and seeing if they are a solidly reliable technique to know if she is phasing. I'll give it time and once I can recognise the cues over and over and if they are accurate enough I will probably post on the thread or make a new one saying she is fine lol but if my testing comes up as unreliable then i'll do the same but saying she probably still does require looking into

  • Spirit is strong as is, but not OP by any means. Leave her as she is.

  • If she stops and stands there, you simply walk away. WALK away. This is the biggest problem I see with Survivors when I play as Spirit. They want to run, when the biggest thing you can do to stop mindgames and juke her is to take your finger off the Shift button and walk. No need to crouch and sneak, simply walk.

    Iron Will helps significantly, and I've been getting good use out of Calm Spirit (######### those crows) when playing against her. You have to pay attention to your entire environment, not just the Killer, because there are MANY clues to where a Survivor moved off to. Grass moving, crows flying away, footsteps (you make more noise when you run), breathing (you make more noise when you run), grunts (YOU MAKE MORE NOISE WHEN YOU RUN!!!!), etc...

    If you didn't notice the trend there, you make a ton more noise when you run and will give away your position to even a mediocre Spirit player. Especially if you are on a tile that changes ground cover, like say moving from the dirt on Macmillan to the stairway/metal floor. It's not just about if/when she's phasing, it's about where you are moving to, and how fast you are moving.

  • @Mringasa Yeah, walk away from a killer who is watching you move. Easily activates her power and appears on you. You seem very passionate about this, but seem to have missed a massive hole in your point. I've already covered this in previous responses. It isn't the issue about moving away stealthily, it's the fact that, at the time of posting, it appeared as though there was no way of telling if she was using her power or not with certain cosmetics. Trying to evade a killer who is watching you by walking away isn't a strong gameplan, mate. So with that said, the thread is pretty closed for now, since i'm taking @WRussoW's advice and applying it into my gameplay to test it out.

  • @Onyx_Blue said:

    @Mringasa Yeah, walk away from a killer who is watching you move. Easily activates her power and appears on you. You seem very passionate about this, but seem to have missed a massive hole in your point. I've already covered this in previous responses. It isn't the issue about moving away stealthily, it's the fact that, at the time of posting, it appeared as though there was no way of telling if she was using her power or not with certain cosmetics. Trying to evade a killer who is watching you by walking away isn't a strong gameplan, mate. So with that said, the thread is pretty closed for now, since i'm taking @WRussoW's advice and applying it into my gameplay to test it out.

    Another funny thing about the Spirit, if she has short hair and she starts phasing, her hair glitch out for a second. I'd totally call it a bug but you can still use it as well.

  • @Onyx_Blue said:

    @Mringasa Yeah, walk away from a killer who is watching you move. Easily activates her power and appears on you. You seem very passionate about this, but seem to have missed a massive hole in your point. I've already covered this in previous responses. It isn't the issue about moving away stealthily, it's the fact that, at the time of posting, it appeared as though there was no way of telling if she was using her power or not with certain cosmetics. Trying to evade a killer who is watching you by walking away isn't a strong gameplan, mate. So with that said, the thread is pretty closed for now, since i'm taking @WRussoW's advice and applying it into my gameplay to test it out.

    Honestly, why are you staring at her trying to figure out if she's phasing or not? Drop the pallet and move away. Then she either has to break LoS and travel around the object between you, giving you plenty of time to get distance, or she comes in and breaks the pallet giving you time to get distance between you.

    If you're staring at her across a barrier, you should already have an exit strategy planned so it's time to implement that as soon as she stops movement. Her ceasing movement, even if it's just for 2 seconds, gives you a nice headstart to the next loop, or safe'ish area. I'm really just clueless as to why you are staring her down looking for signs that she is phasing...

    I played a few matches 2 nights back, and prior of course, against Spirits. It never failed they wandered off in the completely wrong direction when I did what I describe above. They stop moving, I start walking. If they come at me immediately, then I just get as much distance as possible and continue the process. If they don't, well good luck finding me while your phasing and can't see #########. Especially with sounds the way they are now. Even if you get serious luck and have "normal" sounds, it's still a lot more difficult to pinpoint a Survivor who is walking. The only time I went down, or took a hit, was when I kept running and not thinking.

    I will say that Iron Will is a must against her though, otherwise as soon as she's got a hit on you, you are pretty much toast. You won't be able to juke her at all unless sounds are bugged for that match (the everyone has Iron Will, even the ones who aren't running it, bug kills her game). The matches I played the other evening against her, I was also testing out Calm Spirit. Potentially this helped as well since I didn't have to pay attention for crows in the environment instead I just watched for tall grass + corn where necessary and avoided it.

  • I barely see her in red ranks, I don't think she needs a look into her kit at all, in my opinion, add ons are on the table but I rather have Leatherface and Michael's add ons worked on next.

1 2 ›