Why do some killers pretend that sounds are gone?

Footsteps, even normal breathing, grunts of pain etc. Everything can be heard even with several meters of distance. Why do some killers pretend that sounds are gone?

https://youtu.be/zex7eP30BjM


I found this Claudette outpositioned twice during this match due to her normal breathing (which is even noticeable when watching this on my phone). How loud are survivors supposed to be?

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1003828#Comment_1003828

    I'm pretty sure people already outlined that for you. It's an accusation, not a proper opening for discussion. You're making it seem like people who are complaining about sound issues are completely insane and that they can't possibly be experiencing sound issues because you personally aren't or otherwise haven't paid enough attention to notice any.

    The title is in no way meant to be insulting and to me it sounds like an ordinary question. Would it make more sense if I said "why do people claim" rather than "why do people pretend"?

  • Found the best example last night, and it's reproduceable in every match.

    Get on Springwood and head to the house with the generator in the basement. This is on any map it spawns there. The one with the car in the garage and that loop w/ pallet. Stand a bit back from the stairs and you will not hear the generator at all. As you go down the stairs, the generator noise will slowly become audible. At one point while you are on the stairs though, it actually completely mutes. Then you take another step, and it becomes fully audible again.

    I had 5 matches yesterday on Springwood's various iterations with that generator setup, and in every case this happened to me. Twice it caused me to lose that generator specifically because I thought no one was working on it. Once I realized what was happening, I could prevent it simply by going closer to the generator when patrolling, but sounds coming out of that basement area are screwed up.

    So far that's the only bug I can reproduce with consistency. Honestly though, the rest of the sounds are pretty solid for me. I'm just using some cheap Walmart generic headphones, so quality isn't exactly there for me. I have gone in and rebalanced stuff in my audio though for various other games, so I'm wondering if some of these bugs are being caused by people's audio setups or software that isn't reproducing sounds correctly for them.

  • Most of the time the problems I have with sounds is not that I don't hear them, but that I hear them from the wrong direction. Like I'll sometimes hear grunts of pain from an Ace from behind me when he's at a pallet to my right. It's definitely a problem, but probably not as much of a problem as many killers say

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1003866#Comment_1003866

    Not really because that's still insinuating that people aren't having legitimate issues with sound and that there's no actual technical problem to be discussed here.

    This another case of "yeah great you're not having problems but why the hell should anyone care?". The fact of the matter is that sounds did change with the Oni patch (likely because of the engine update) and for many they've become demonstrably worse and inconsistent, as has been the case with pretty much every other patch in the past that included engine changes. I legitimately don't understand what you hope to accomplish here other than signaling that you're not personally experiencing/noticing any issues. Which maybe that can be used somehow by BHVR but I doubt it.

    The point of this thread is to collect information. People have posted sound bugs that can be reproduced so I don't understand what the point is in taking the title like a personal attack when it isn't. The thread questions on what factors people complain in terms of sounds and some forum users have greatly contributed to collecting valuable information in this regard. I got called a content thief for using blockers in my clips yet you don't see me get upset, do you?

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    @Yamaoka Ah yes, the point of the thread was to collect E: useful information when all that was asked in the OP was "Why do some killers pretend that sounds are gone?" and "How loud are survivors supposed to be?".

    Content accusations I don't care about, I already called them ridiculous in my original reply.

    If you prefer getting upset over one single word then I can't help you. Also I can add questions like "how loud are survivors supposed to be" all I want. You don't get to tell me what to ask bud. If you feel attacked over something as trivial as an ordinary question then maybe forums aren't for you.

  • Probably because, and I'm just going out on a limb here, sounds are messed up.

    Maybe it's a conspiracy, though, and the TC has cracked it!

  • Don't want to be seen using "OP" perks and add ons do we? 😂

  • @PapiQuentin_ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1003229#Comment_1003229

    Don't want to be seen using "OP" perks and add ons do we? 😂

    Especially not my op addons! I would feel bad if people realized I only perform well using them Award Winning Chillis all the time

  • I’ve noticed that sometimes I can’t hear people through walls and if I can’t hear literally anything above me.

  • @Yamaoka said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1004180#Comment_1004180

    Especially not my op addons! I would feel bad if people realized I only perform well using them Award Winning Chillis all the time

    Holy balls. Award winning Chili is so BROKEN!!!

    You're a trash killer if you use those add ons!! They need to be changed!!!

  • Ive experienced it several times when I notice that a survivor in the dying state is completely quiet. If someone is just injured, id just assume they had ironwill, but your suppose to make noise in the dying state.

  • "guys believe me stop complaining while I hide my perks".

  • @OMagic_ManO said:

    "guys believe me stop complaining while I hide my perks".

    @ShrekIsHot him hiding his perks means nothing.

  • How could I know he's running Stridor or not? I could never know if he's just using a perk to help prove his point.

  • @OMagic_ManO said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1004220#Comment_1004220

    How could I know he's running Stridor or not? I could never know if he's just using a perk to help prove his point.

    I can tell youfor a fact that he’s not using stridor.

  • @OMagic_ManO said:

    "guys believe me stop complaining while I hide my perks".

    He blocks out his perks and such on EVERY video. I got pretty use to it awhile back.

  • @GrootDude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1004227#Comment_1004227

    I can tell youfor a fact that he’s not using stridor.


    I'll take your word, it's just a throw off and it seems invalidating to his point.

  • @OMagic_ManO said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1004220#Comment_1004220

    How could I know he's running Stridor or not? I could never know if he's just using a perk to help prove his point.

    You might wanna take a look at the comments on page 2. People assumed I ran Stridor so I temporarily uploaded the original video. Chewy said "I take what I said about Stridor back and admit I was wrong about that." so that's out of the way.

  • I see where your coming from but, sounds can be pretty inconsistent especially when there is a wall ect in between you and the survivor.

  • @Yamaoka said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1004227#Comment_1004227

    You might wanna take a look at the comments on page 2. People assumed I ran Stridor so I temporarily uploaded the original video. Chewy said "I take what I said about Stridor back and admit I was wrong about that." so that's out of the way.

    Nothing against you, I don't watch your videos so I would have no idea.

  • @OMagic_ManO said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1004242#Comment_1004242

    Nothing against you, I don't watch your videos so I would have no idea.

    No worries I don't take it personally. I can see how perk blockers would make the clip seem suspicious especially with perks like Stridor in the game.

  • For the love of... why is this post getting more reactions than this one:

    @TWiXT said:

    In the Oni Chapter update, the engine was updated which (as evidenced by every previous engine update) has broken the sound design of the game again. This is primarily noticeable from the killer players who rely heavily on sound for at least 50% of their ability to hunt down survivors. As it currently stands:

    1. Survivors footsteps can no longer be heard while in a chase no matter how close they are.
    2. Survivors Groans and Grunts of pain can only be heard during a chase if they are within 8 meters.
    3. Some survivors who are in the dying state make no pained sounds at all.
    4. Breathing sounds from survivors can't be heard at all unless the killer is right on top of them, and only if they had just finished running.
    5. Stridor no longer increases survivors pained grunts/moans volume if they are running Iron Will, making it pretty much useless when combined with the problem in no.2.
    6. Walls and floor levels completely obscure Generator noises (repairing, running) unless the killer is within 4 meters of them, or sometimes at weird distances where they can be heard clearly, but take 1 step and suddenly they become silent.
    7. Fire barrel and Hex totem crackling are either too loud when in the open, or completely silent if hiding behind a wall.
    8. Killers Footstep and Breathing noises are completely silent until the killer is within 6 meters, and are also nulled by chase music and walls. This makes it extremely difficult to tell when a killer is sneaking up on survivors and even worse when the killer is mind-gaming survivors at a LoS blocking loop since they can't determine which direction the killer is moving. While this makes things a bit more exciting as survivor, it also becomes insanely frustrating when trying to juke or react to a killer.

    Overall, the sound design is again busted. The last time this happened however, it felt like the devs had learned their lesson and they mostly fixed it after 2 weeks when the Demogorgon update came out, but here we are now with over a month since the Oni chapter, and not even a mention of attempting to fix these issues in the mid chapter update? Dev's PLEASE!!!! Don't make this a repeat of the Pig update, wherein you took 3 whole months to fix the sound issues! That was an excruciating time to play as either Killer or Survivor (mostly killer though).

    Anyone else feel the devs need to fix this asap? Did I get any of this wrong? Or are you happy with the sound design as it currently is?

    If we want the sound issues fixed, then please comment and or upvote in my thread while letting this naysayer thread die. It'll send a stronger message than pointing out the sound issues here. Should I have made that post about sounds being "just fine"? should I have posted video evidence? in all sincerity, please, if you want to help and support the fact that the sound issues are a problem that needs dealing with, go to my post and leave a comment telling your own story, providing videos, or debating the claim. I want the devs to make a response in it based on user activity and comments, but that can't happen if posts like like this one overwhelm its importance. Hell, someone even responded in this post with my exact arguments of how the sounds are broken (copied and pasted verbatim)! Support the right thread, and stop giving this one its due just because it angers you.

  • It's weird on PS4.

    Stood above a slug and heard nothing

    Put them on a hook and only hear a crunch as they go on the hook

    I've bought a decent headset just to play this game and don't appreciate this long lasting bug. Thankfully I'm trying not to play killer in preparation of Ruin perk being replaced. Now I just listen to music when I play survivor totally chilled feeling sorry for whoever plays killer, I wish it were more of a challenge.

  • I wish my meg sounded like she was using iron will, she cries like her foots constantly in a meat grindr or something

  • Was just watching some youtube and got reminded of this post. Hate to necro a thread but...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn0LdnWTKDc

    shows a clear sound bug at 9:40.

  • Sounds are messed up.

    I've had multiple games where I'm slugged making dead zero sounds.

  • Survivors are bleeding to death on the floor because of this.

  • @Chewy102 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1003383#Comment_1003383

    I take what I said about Stridor back and admit I was wrong about that. Doesn't change how the original video and channel looks rather odd in being edited in both blocking builds and having overscan. If you care about uploading clips and even go through the effort of editing them for one reason or another, then why don't you bother to care about how they look or to the point of crap?

    It doesn't add up to me. You having a source doesn't change my opinions of the content possibly not being yours as you still need an unedited copy in order to edit.

    Plus, this can also be proof towards sounds being bugged. You can't hear the Survivor till after you get line of sight. Sound is suppose to go through walls with each wall and overall distance making the sounds harder to hear.

    Hearing breathing through a wall is unlikely, but on the other side of a rock/tree? And moments later as the Killer walks away ALL sounds (pain grunts and self caring) are lost going from 90-80% to 0% the moment you go past another tree not a couple meters away.

    In the very video you posted showing how sounds aren't bugged. Survivors don't make any sounds at all once you are a few steps away from them in what should have been half cover at best.

    Ty

1 2 ›