Purple ranks can't hit Great Skillchecks
I've seen a lot of posts along the lines of "Ruin was fine as it was. I can hit Hex:Ruin great skill checks and if you can't, you are trash." These players tend to be red rank survivors. But I think more people struggle with them than red ranks realise.
I've noticed a pattern as I learned to play survivor:
- Yellow rank was quite tricky. The other survivors were yellow rank like me and would go down quickly in chases. If I didn't get out of yellow rank quickly I would struggle
- Green rank was relatively chilled. The survivors knew what they were doing. There were a good selection of killers and they could play competently.
- Purple rank is hard! Killers know how to play killer well, often maining top tier killers and equipping Ruin. If we didn't get Ruin down early, we lost.
- Red rank. Actually not that bad! Your teammates really know how to play, the killers are the same ones you faced at purple rank and team mates can hit Greats.
I used to think I was terrible at skill checks, but on those games I went out early, I sometimes watched the other players. What I noticed is that those that could confidently aim for greats were ONLY red ranks. Even purple ranks would mostly gen-tap, go for "Goods" or waste time looking for Ruin.
I know that we would prefer Ruin to be changed AFTER a change to gen times, but I agree with the devs. It needed to go because if purple ranks aren't hitting the Greats, use of Hex:Ruin was not scalable. It's fine right at the bottom where is is rare, it's fine right at the top in red ranks. But for those in the middle, Ruin became a free win for killers.
TLDR: It's your team mates that can't hit Great skill checks, that's why Ruin is getting nerfed.
Comments
TL;DR They should learn to hit them instead of crying
Perhaps when the devs observed that grey ranks, yellow ranks, green ranks, purple ranks, and even some red ranks couldn't hit great skill checks, maybe "git gud" was an insufficient remedy to the problems people were facing with Ruin.
Learn how to play the game and better yourself through practice? That sounds frustrating, I'd much rather complain to BHVR so they can nerf/remove anything I need to do so I can enjoy the game without playing.
Good players are far and few between.
Browns and Yellows have no idea what they're doing. Greens are just bad. They flee at the sound of a heartbeat, spend the entire game looking for Ruin even if it doesn't exist, and try to hard to be no0b3. They're also incompetent as all hell.
Purple is just boring; not special whatsoever.
Red is fun...Yeah...Red is fun...
Which is funny, because killers were inherently told to git gud when the changes were even shown.
Most red rank survivors still can't hit great skill checks
even when I was new I never complained about ruin I just gen tapped lmao
With the rank reset change soon the majority of red ranks won't be able to hit great skill checks either.
Survivors with red rank skill are going to be matched up with rank 20-5 skill... at red ranks.
I wish we could vote out devs and change up the leadership lol
In my experience, 50% of red ranks, purple ranks, and green ranks are all exactly the same. The only difference is in how much time they can put into the game between resets. With the new reset all of those greens and purples are going to be reds unless they decide to make pipping as a survivor the least bit challenging.
Have you tried to hit a Great skill check on console, with lag, under pressure? Not all of us have the luxury of just "learning", because believe me, I have tried.
But then again, when you have to contend with input lag and Australian NBN internet, it surprising that I can actually play the game at purple ranks some days.
Your TL;DR makes you sound like an elitist. Maybe try a little empathy and see how other players might have to go about things. Not all of us can have a several thousand dollar gaming PC with all the trimmings.
Actually I have hit a lot of great skill check under 15 fps (back when I had a potatoe computer)
It takes some form of time to learn, but it makes you inherently way better against ruin
TL;DR Keep practicing its not very difficult
I think this might have been part of the decision to rely less on Great skill checks. PC players suggest that skill checks are easier with better computers. Those of us that are unfortunate enough to have to play on a comfortable sofa in front of a large screen TV don't have the luxury of 120 frames per second skill checks.
While I agree with the Devs of making Ruin less skill check based, I think that they're looking at this the wrong way. Yes, natural regression is great. But most higher rank people are complaining about overall generator speed, so I've always said have Ruin literally slow the game down.
Since rank are broken meaning you get a mix of brown/green/purp/red in the same match nowadays, it really doesn't matter.