There should always be an Obsession (solo surv buff)
Title.
By always having an obsession it means the killer can never take the risk of tunneling any individual survivor. Besides the fact it would add some consistency to the Obsession mechanic (something the devs said they want, CONSISTENCY) it would also improve the solo survivor experience by giving them a better chance at NOT being tunneled. Pretty much every game I have as killer where there is no obsession I know that I can basically do whatever I want. I'm not the type to tunnel unless I feel I have to, and in these games when push comes to shove I will immediately tunnel and pick up the guy knowing there is nothing they can do about it.
It's a very simple change that I think would have a positive impact on the game, particularly for solos. Killers always need to play cautiously, and considering they generally have the advantage against solo groups it only seems fair.
Comments
I'd be okay with this if only for the BP boost for killing them/escaping as it.
I’d like this.
I always tell myself this everytime I hear the obsession ding at the start of the match:
"I'm going to get stabbed."
I always just assume the person who is the obsession has Decisive Strike. So ignoring them in favour of others is what I typically would do as a killer. So I think this would be a nice change for Solo survivors.
This would be an indirect buff to DS since the simple presence of the Obsession can cause the killer to act as if people have it.
No survivors even need to have DS to benefit from it, they just need an obsession.
And believe me, this is nowhere near a buff for SOLO players.
I'm generally surprised when this is NOT an obsession. It's actually kind of jarring when you don't hear that sound, like the game is playing a joke on you or something.
Also I usually assume the opposite, that everyone BUT the obsession has DS. But I still will slug the obsession just in case.
I would change my survivor main to Laurie Strode, no questions asked. She already sometimes enjoys a psychological advantage that I like to call "Schrodinger's Perk," because it's easy and reasonable for a killer to assume that a Laurie player is running Decisive Strike, as she unquestionably has it available in her perk inventory.
So the Laurie player, knowing this, can behave in Obsession games as though she has Decisive Strike (going for really risky plays right after she's unhooked, jumping in lockers, etc.), whether she's actually running it or not -- and the killer can't definitively know without risk. So, you stand to get out of sticky situations sometimes, even if you're just bluffing. All survivors can do this, but with Laurie it carries extra weight.
(Bill players can do the same thing with Borrowed Time, too.)
Would that not make it the equivalent of NOED? You cant tell if the killer has it so you always have to play like they do and cleanse totems in the event its in play.
I'm aware of this effect but it doesn't work if there is no obsession.
Right, which is why I said "in Obsession games." ?
What I'm getting at is, if there were an obsession in every game no matter what perks were in play, Laurie would get an outsized advantage from it.
No. And Noed is still a perk.
If anything, that's how it currently works now. Since DS is an obsession perk, just seeing the Obsession symbol means no survivors can be trusted. Neck the killer himself can screw this up because of his own obsession perks.
Plus, doing totems grants an insane amount of Boldness points, while waiting for DS... Slows your progress down.
Eh, ever so slightly. Like when I see a Laurie I think "she has DS" but I don't think "she is the ONLY ONE with DS". There is a difference here. All that means is you can not use DS on Laurie and more likely get the benefit of the killer assuming you have it. It wouldn't be that drastic really.
Then dont wait for DS? Dont tunnel? Or just slug them and go for the unhooker?
Can you clarify your first line? Yes noed is still a perk? So is DS?
Well that's the point. The obsession is there to deter the killer from tunneling because they will have to assume there is a DS in play. And I wouldn't call it a "buff" to DS. It's a buff to survivors that play WITHOUT DS. Solo players would indeed benefit because no they are less likely to be tunneled, which in solo play is a major issue. If you are in SWF you can coordinate to avoid tunneling, but in solo you don't have that luxury.
That's what slows down the progress. Slugging. Most people who get hit by DS don't necessarily tunnel. Going for the unhooker would have to mean you were at the hook when the DS user was hooked. That's a beneficial moment, because then you down the DS, go for the unhook, then continue on. It normally doesn't go like that.
DS is a perk that benefits of any instance of Obsession status on any player. If Obsession is baseline, regardless of Obsession perks, then the comparison between NoED is void. Because then it's not a comparison between perks, it's game mechanics compared to a perk.
As someone who plays with STBFL often, I just got use to there always being an obsession. If you play like you have DS...you BETTER have DS. Im yanking your ass out of that locker, you dont get to pretend you have DS when you really dont.
You don't know if the killer has NOED and if you spend time doing totems, you are slowing your progress as survivor too. I agree with @SleepyWillo there is no difference between playing to counter potential NOED and playing to counter potential DS.
That's the spirit. To quote Dave Chappelle as Rick James "######### yo couch!"
No no no, this stems from a total lack of knowledge about going against DS.
This is not even a buff to solo players, as your post suggests, it's a buff to people who, in your words, "Don't Have DS".
Remember, the 60 second timer doesn't stop if the killer goes and hooks another person, it keeps going.
Lemme tell you a story:
I was playing Hag one day and I was doing quite well. I downed three people, hooked them all. All three are freed, I down all of them very soon after... I proceed to get hit with 3 consecutive DS's, even after slugging all of them. Not tunneling, clearly downing them to go for other people. I still got hit.
My only solution was to wait longer for the "anti-tunnel" perk to deactivate, even though I clearly did not tunnel anybody? No.
Now imagine that every game, regardless of ANY obsession perks within the lobby. Constant slugging and momentum breaking for both sides because Obsession status is baseline. That doesn't sound like a healthy playstyle.
Again, you dont have to slug. Just dont go for the unhooked person - go for the unhooker. Something I find quite useful is MYC. You can use the timer to know when DS will be run out and it will also encourage you to go after the unhooker more! Enjoy!
And if the unhooker still has DS? What then?
@StarMoral
"No no no, this stems from a total lack of knowledge about going against DS."
Yea and you have total lack of knowledge if NOED is in play. The difference between NOED and current obsession DS is that there is a tell there is DEFINITELY no DS in play. NOED has no such tell so you always have to spend time destroying totems or risk getting one shot at end game.
"Now imagine that every game, regardless of ANY obsession perks within the lobby. Constant slugging and momentum breaking for both sides because Obsession status is baseline. That doesn't sound like a healthy playstyle."
And free tunneling is healthy? I don't see your point. I would rather be slugged 50 times in one game than tunneled off the hook. Pretty sure any survivor worth their salt would agree.
Plus by slugging you risk someone having Unbreakable too. So there is risk to doing that.
As far as deactivating DS when you hook someone else, that is an entirely different discussion, but I completely disagree with this mentality. If you are NOT tunneling and still get hit with DS chances are good the survivor let you catch them on purpose. You didn't actually outplay them or catch them legit, they forced you to catch them. Like it's really not much to think a bit about the situation and slug the guy. Chances are they only have a short time left if you took an entire new chase before going after them again. Just leave them on the ground, kick some gens/pallets and then take the hook. It's not that big of an issue.
Then that survivor made a smart move and you got out played if you took the bait.
"Yea and you have total lack of knowledge if NOED is in play. The difference between NOED and current obsession DS is that there is a tell there is DEFINITELY no DS in play. NOED has no such tell so you always have to spend time destroying totems or risk getting one shot at end game."
Again, it's much more beneficial to destroy totems. Plus, not to mention, DS is incredibly more popular than NoED. You will see more instances of DS than Noed in ANY game.
"And free tunneling is healthy? I don't see your point. I would rather be slugged 50 times in one game than tunneled off the hook. Pretty sure any survivor worth their salt would agree."
Maybe run DS to eliminate that "free tunnel" then.
"As far as deactivating DS when you hook someone else, that is an entirely different discussion, but I completely disagree with this mentality. If you are NOT tunneling and still get hit with DS chances are good the survivor let you catch them on purpose. You didn't actually outplay them or catch them legit, they forced you to catch them. Like it's really not much to think a bit about the situation and slug the guy. Chances are they only have a short time left if you took an entire new chase before going after them again. Just leave them on the ground, kick some gens/pallets and then take the hook. It's not that big of an issue."
You cannot be serious. You complain about the issue of tunneling this entire page, yet you justify the killer getting punished after doing his job without tunneling. So what is it? Do you want the killer to not tunnel, or do you not want the killer to kill TOO quickly? Because with what you have just stated, you seem to be in favor of the latter.
Whoops you already said this in earlier posts. How do I delete comments on mobile
On the topic of tunneling stop whining about it and just use the crutch perk
If there is no obsession the killer is free to tunnel all they want. There is nothing stopping them. This is the problem I am proposing to fix, because in these games most if not all killers will tunnel someone knowing there is 0 risk of DS.
If there is an obsession the killer has to think about whether they really want to tunnel or not. They also need to pay attention to when the person was last hooked.
I don't see why one would NEED to run a perk to avoid the first scenario. Tunneling is an admitted issue by the devs themselves, so anything that reduces the chance of it is a good thing. Again it's better to be slugged than to be hooked, because if you get slugged you're not dying as fast.
As for the last part I don't see a problem. If the killer took the bait then they failed at their job. The smart thing to do is to leave them on the ground for a bit until you are sure it has been a minute. What is the problem here? Majority of survivors with DS will go out of their way to have the chance to use it. Unless you are a literal God tier killer, then you aren't going to get a hook on every survivor within a minute. Maybe don't chase the same guy, there are two others you can go for. And if you do chase them, don't pick them up. You can stall the game with slugging too.
Also in regard to saying "destroying totems is beneficial" I'm guessing you mean BP or emblems. Well if you slug survivors that means more chance at BP and emblems for killer as well. Malicious/Chaser are notorious for some killers to not score because they down/kill too fast, so by slugging you are increasing the chance to get more points for these emblems. Same with BP in terms of "survivor found" and "survivor hit".
I will always pick someone up even if they have DS. Who cares about tunneling, I'll play how I see fit.
If I don't know when to maybe play around DS, I simply won't.
And this is a valid tactic to counter DS too. Just eat it. It depends on when and where you do it, but if you do it early and in a dead zone you can catch the guy again and not need to worry about a late game DS.