Rework Idea For "The Legion" - Who Can You Trust?

Ah, The Legion! One of the most controversial subjects in all of Dead by Daylight, aside from NOED, Decisive Strike, Insta-heals, Memento Moris, and on and on and on. We're focusing on Legion today though.

This new Legion that I will propose will have two base powers that work in concert with each other. Add-ons can influence this to make one stronger than the other or even remove one power to create an absolute monster of a power. When players first saw the reveal trailer for The Legion, people were stoked to see that our next Killer would be one to blend in with Survivors. Unfortunately for them, we got a completely different Killer: one with a power that is still broken to this day, and not in the way you'd expect.

Can I, of the hundreds of other people trying this out, come up with something that might actually work? I dunno. Maybe. Have a look. A combination of everybody's expectations upon seeing The Legion for the first time. Happy reading. Goodness, looking back on this now, this is such a mess. I think "good luck" is a better thing to say.



NEW STATUS EFFECT: "BRANDED"

This status effect is unique to The Legion's Feral Frenzy attacks. Deep Wound is no more, at least for the frenzy attack. This effect translates the Survivor's current state of injury. Feral Frenzy attacks are dealt in small margins, meaning that each attack applies a small amount of damage that is dealt in high quantities. Each hit makes the Survivor more injured, meaning that it will take longer to heal with each strike. (Note: This also means that "A Nurse's Calling" works well with The Legion!)

  • Tier 1: The Survivor has received a minor knife wound. Groans of pain are reduced by 75% and they bleed much less. It will take the Survivor half of the normal amount of healing time to fully heal. ( 8 seconds ) Survivors hit by a basic attack while in this state will receive the Deep Wound status effect and immediately be inflicted with Branded Tier 3.
  • Tier 2: The Survivor is injured from two stabs. All normal injured statistics: Groans of pain are reduced by 0% and the Survivor bleeds at a normal rate. Healing takes the default 16 seconds to perform. Basic attacks put the Survivor into the dying state.
  • Tier 3: The Survivor has received multiple stab wounds. Survivors groans 25% louder and bleed moderately more than normal. Survivors' healing time is increased by half. ( 24 seconds ) All attacks, including from Feral Frenzy, will put the Survivor into the dying state.

Only the Survivor affected by Branded and the Killer can see their progress bar. Each tier of Branded is represented by the bar's progress: Tier 1 is a full bar; Tier 2 is a half-bar; Tier 3 is an empty bar. Healing will slowly refill the bar. 8 seconds of healing per tier.

(Note: Survivors inflicted with at least Branded Tier 1 count as injured, meaning that perks like Dead Hard and Thanatophobia activate when they are hit by Feral Frenzy.)


Now, onto the good stuff...


THE LEGION!

STATS:

Height: Average

Base Speed: 4.4 m/s ( 110% )

Base Terror Radius: 16 meters


POWER: "THE FIFTH"

Two powers are unlocked in The Fifth. These two powers are called "Feral Frenzy" and "Phantom Presence". Before we talk about them, let's go over some basic abilities that tie in with Legion's powers.


Hiding in Lockers! This is a basic ability that can be activated at any time while standing in front of a locker. While hiding in a locker, your view is obstructed but you can see through the peephole just a little bit. Never fear though, as any Survivors within 12 meters of your locker will be revealed by a Killer Instinct effect. Using this, when a Survivor stands in front of your locker, The Legion can leap out of the locker and down them instantly with a lethal stab. Or, if the Survivor is curious and open your locker, you'll jump out and grab them with no input needed. While you are in a locker, you are affected by the Undetectable and Blindness status effects.

How does this tie in with "The Fifth"? Well, read on.


Phantom Presence! This is The Legion's map pressure tool. When you hide in a locker, you can hold down the Power Button to exit the locker as a "phantom". In this form, you are completely invisible, Undetectable, and your movement speed is tremendously increased. The only way you can be detected is through the use of Premonition and Spine Chill, otherwise you cannot be spotted. You cannot attack Survivors in this form though, but there is a purpose. (Quick Note: You also have no collision.)

While in this form, you can 'mark' a locker. Marked lockers' auras will always be shown to you regardless of the distance, and apply the same Killer Instinct effect as if you are inside of the locker. In Phantom Presence, you can double-tap the Power Button to instantly teleport back inside of that locker from any distance. Anyway, now onto the juicy stuff.

In Phantom Presence, you can copy one Survivor by centering them onto your screen and holding the Power Button, similar to stalking. Afterward, that Survivor is successfully 'mimicked', meaning that the next time you exit a locker, you will steal the appearance of that Survivor. While in a mimicked form, you control just like a Survivor: same speed, same appearance, Undetectable, and same abilities. You will not have the perks of the Survivor you mimic though.

While you are mimicking a Survivor, you can dismantle generators while interacting with one alone. This is performed at the same rate of repair speed, only reversed. Otherwise, when another Survivor is on the generator with you, you repair at 25% slower speed than normal. You cannot heal other Survivors for obvious reasons.

At any time while you are mimicking a Survivor, you can cancel it after a short animation. After the animation is finished, the Undetectable effect lingers for an additional 3 seconds. Alternatively, if the Survivor you mimicked finds you, they can reveal you similar to The Ghost Face to bust your disguise and cause you to lose your disguise. After losing your disguise, the Survivor you mimicked previously cannot be mimicked for two minutes. (Note: You can also cancel your disguise by hiding in a locker and deactivating it manually.)

A copycat Killer! Now for his second ability, which all of you probably know by now.


Feral Frenzy! This is The Legion's signature ability and their chasing power. Rather than the Deep Wound, it utilizes the new status effect I explained at the top of the thread. Branded basically functions as a health bar for Survivors, who require four hits to down with Frenzy.

At all times, Feral Frenzy's gauge will slowly refill and be usable when it is at least filled halfway. Getting stunned any time will immediately remove 33% of the gauge, so be careful...

Anyways, when Feral Frenzy is activated, The Legion enters a deadly rage, as we all know. The gauge depletes as long as Feral Frenzy is activated, for approximately 10 seconds. While the gauge is filled:

  • Sprints at 130% movement speed, or 5.2 m/s.
  • Allows The Legion to vault pallets but they cannot break them. Vaulting speed is the same as current Legion: 1.35 seconds.
  • Survivors' blood and scratch marks cannot be seen.
  • Missing an attack has a slightly reduced cooldown but removes 33% of the power gauge.

Feral Frenzy does not cancel when the gauge is emptied. Rather, it applies these effects:

  • Sprints at 120% movement speed, or 4.8 m/s.
  • Killer Instinct deactivates, if it has been activated previously.
  • Lunge is slightly reduced.
  • Missing an attack deactivates Feral Frenzy.
  • Losing the Survivor deactivates Feral Frenzy.

Hitting a Survivor with a Frenzy attack:

  • Applies and increases their tier of Branded.
  • Refills 50% of the Frenzy power gauge.
  • Reveals all other Survivors' locations within The Legion's terror radius via a Killer Instinct effect.
  • Increases the terror radius by 8 meters.

When Frenzy is deactivated while there is still power left in the gauge will cause a cooldown of 3 seconds. If it's deactivated while there is no power left, then the cooldown is doubled to 6 seconds, as you have lost the chase. This means that you will be mostly reliant on the Frenzy for your chasing, unless you cancel at 1% power to lower the cooldown.

But yeah, that's my rework plan. The name of the power was made by @Zoso, not me. They made their own rework idea that I took some inspiration from, so feel free to check that out.


Notes

  • While using Frenzy, being stunned by a pallet or Head On won't knock you out of Frenzy unless the gauge is empty.
  • Feral Frenzy can be activated inside of a locker. This immediately causes you to jump out of the locker with a dramatic stinger sound effect. Hitting a Survivor shortly afterward will grant a special score event for surprising the Survivor.
  • While disguised, you are Undetectable. This also means that you won't be detected by perks such as Bond. This can also be used by Survivors to distinguish the difference between the real one and the fake.
  • If the Survivor you have mimicked is injured, you will also appear injured but will leave no blood. You will still groan from pains.
  • You cannot mimic Survivors in the dying state. Duh. Just pick them up anyway.


Well, that's a wrap. Feel free to leave some feedback down below. If you have any questions, I have no life, which means that I'll most likely be around to answer them if I can.

Have a good night and thanks for reading! 😁

Comments

  • The one instant thing I see as an issue as I am reading through is the Devs have said they will NEVER make a disguise Killer. Still reading though.

  • ALso "branded" give all survivors 3 hits if you use FF, making FF pointless. Keeping the vaulting speeds means Legion can still be looped in FF. 6 seconds for the stun if you arn't paying attention? What?


    No i'm sorry. I can't agree to these changes. I don't like the locker mechanic, The devs wont make a mimic killer and more importantly the more I read this the more it feels like even more of a nerf. I'm sorry but this needs ALOT of work. ALmost every single one of your changes would take more time then Trapper does setting up. I'm not gonna lose a match cause of my power.

  • @UlvenDagoth said:

    ALso "branded" give all survivors 3 hits if you use FF, making FF pointless. Keeping the vaulting speeds means Legion can still be looped in FF. 6 seconds for the stun if you arn't paying attention? What?

    No i'm sorry. I can't agree to these changes. I don't like the locker mechanic, The devs wont make a mimic killer and more importantly the more I read this the more it feels like even more of a nerf. I'm sorry but this needs ALOT of work.

    Ouch.

    Well, it was worth a try.

  • I really did love how inventive you were. Don't get me wrong. The amount of time you put into it is amazing. But you have to remember Killer is all about time management. Legion is all about Rush down. Take a moment, and then try again. I'd love to see any other ideas you have <3

    An example. Sure you can dismantle one gen, but what about the other 4 survivors? They will be CRUSHING gens with no Killer or TR to make them stop.

  • Well this sounds pretty complicated. But from the sound of it it seems like it'll bring back some of the frustration that survivors had against old Legion as they just ran around with little counterplay until Legion downed them with their ability.

    I do think this would be way too much work for the devs as well, as they've got enough else to still balance.

    Also, your idea of Legion mimicking a Survivor won't work, as it can be countered via voice comms. It would be strong against solo survivors, but useless against swf teams, especially a 4 man swf team.

  • Another issue is I can't see the reason you would want to mimic survivors with the current proposition: you can dismantle a single generator at the same speed 4 other survivors are repairing 4 others. otherwise, you're slowly repairing a generator helping the other team as a .5th survivor. Unless I'm misunderstanding the 'revert after a small animation' where you'll spend time standing still (say next to another survivor at a generator). As soon as they know they're playing against legion they'll be paranoid to be near another survivor and even more so if said survivor stops repairing the generator.

  • @UlvenDagoth said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/764809#Comment_764809

    I really did love how inventive you were. Don't get me wrong. The amount of time you put into it is amazing. But you have to remember Killer is all about time management. Legion is all about Rush down. Take a moment, and then try again. I'd love to see any other ideas you have <3

    An example. Sure you can dismantle one gen, but what about the other 4 survivors? They will be CRUSHING gens with no Killer or TR to make them stop.

    Yeah, I know. You guys are the rightful judges of things like this.

  • @ad19970 said:

    Well this sounds pretty complicated. But from the sound of it it seems like it'll bring back some of the frustration that survivors had against old Legion as they just ran around with little counterplay until Legion downed them with their ability.

    I do think this would be way too much work for the devs as well, as they've got enough else to still balance.

    Also, your idea of Legion mimicking a Survivor won't work, as it can be countered via voice comms. It would be strong against solo survivors, but useless against swf teams, especially a 4 man swf team.

    Yeah, that all makes sense. The SWF one is something I thought about but I was just like “Eh, I’m already half-done”, so I kept going.

    Like I said, worth a try.

  • @Trwth said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/764814#Comment_764814

    Yeah, I know. You guys are the rightful judges of things like this.

    I've just been a Legion main since they came out was all. That's the only "expertise" i have here.

  • @S_Panda said:

    Another issue is I can't see the reason you would want to mimic survivors with the current proposition: you can dismantle a single generator at the same speed 4 other survivors are repairing 4 others. otherwise, you're slowly repairing a generator helping the other team as a .5th survivor. Unless I'm misunderstanding the 'revert after a small animation' where you'll spend time standing still (say next to another survivor at a generator). As soon as they know they're playing against legion they'll be paranoid to be near another survivor and even more so if said survivor stops repairing the generator.

    I had trouble coming up with cool things you could do while mimicked, so that’s perfectly reasonable. Generator sabotage should be definitely be more effective if this were a thing.

    Undisguising yourself takes about a second to perform, and you become Undetectable. On certain maps, you can hide behind walls and pop out for a grab. That was the motive behind this, at least.

    Paranoia is exactly what you want, isn’t it? Survivors will be scattered and unwilling to trust their allies, meaning that the game will be slower since they aren’t working together.

    All-in-all, yeah, this idea is pretty much a failed attempt. It was a good one at the time, but I see what you’re all saying now. I’m not like hurt or anything, so don’t feel bad when I say this. I appreciate your feedback.

  • I think the ability to mimic a survivor would be exactly what i expected, when the legion got released.

    Also the thing with: "Hit em 4 Times an they go done" is really cool i think, because, if you get hit 4 Times with a knife in real live, you would also go down. So it would be absolutely realistic.

    The only thing, i think which is unrealistic and should not be used is the incredibly high recovery moments like if getting hit by a pallet.

    Also that you would decrease the success of a generator in the same time survivors do increase them, doesn't makes sence to me.


    But at least a good idea to change the legion into something more expected.

  • I really like the idea of a mimic Killer, and I don't remember why the devs won't do it. But "Phantom Presence" sounds like a complete Killer Power. That could be used for a new Killer instead of a rework. It also doesn't match the Legion's background (Iron Maiden) they seem to frown when it comes to the use of lockers or hiding spots.

    Concerning that gen sabotage speed tho… it needs to be higher than a single Survivors repair speed.

    Also, can Phantom Presence mimic Survivor items as well? It would be interesting to see Survivor items maybe used on other Survivors... like being able to inflict a debuff on a downed Survivor with a medkit while mimicking another Survivor who has a medkit.

  • @bubbascal said:

    I really like the idea of a mimic Killer, and I don't remember why the devs won't do it. But "Phantom Presence" sounds like a complete Killer Power. That could be used for a new Killer instead of a rework. It also doesn't match the Legion's background (Iron Maiden) they seem to frown when it comes to the use of lockers or hiding spots.

    Concerning that gen sabotage speed tho… it needs to be higher than a single Survivors repair speed.

    Also, can Phantom Presence mimic Survivor items as well? It would be interesting to see Survivor items maybe used on other Survivors... like being able to inflict a debuff on a downed Survivor with a medkit while mimicking another Survivor who has a medkit.

    Thanks for the positive feedback. The devs say no for a perfectly valid reason: “Survive With Friends”. This mode completely negates the mimicking Killer’s power. Maybe it could be good, and I’ll bet that there’s a way to work around this, but I don’t think my proposal is it. Perhaps with some tweaking, it could work. 🙂

  • @bubbascal said:

    I really like the idea of a mimic Killer, and I don't remember why the devs won't do it. But "Phantom Presence" sounds like a complete Killer Power. That could be used for a new Killer instead of a rework. It also doesn't match the Legion's background (Iron Maiden) they seem to frown when it comes to the use of lockers or hiding spots.

    Concerning that gen sabotage speed tho… it needs to be higher than a single Survivors repair speed.

    Also, can Phantom Presence mimic Survivor items as well? It would be interesting to see Survivor items maybe used on other Survivors... like being able to inflict a debuff on a downed Survivor with a medkit while mimicking another Survivor who has a medkit.

    This was my thinking too. As I said, this would be a good idea. But not for DBD it seems, and REALLY not for Legion.