Is HIDE OR DIE a threat to Dead By Daylight?

90E6E6F3-E88B-452C-B02F-37314DAF9824.jpeg

I’ve seen numerous threads on this discussion but all have seemed to cease late-August. I just thought; “Why not readdress it?”, “Like, what’s there to lose?”. So, I did.

THE BASICS

From what I know, Friday the 13th was the first Asymmetrical Horror Game released on public builds. Then on there, we saw games like this here, Dead By Daylight, release too. Inspiration is the least of our concerns, however. We’re talking about playability here.

Dead By Daylight released publicly on the 14th of June, 2016, under Behaviour Interactive. It was labelled, and still is to this day, “An asymmetric Horror game”, with the motto “Death is not an escape”. It attracted a wide audience from all corners of the horror community, a huge chunk being a cult following of Friday the 13th. The game swelled into a monolith in the following years. By 2018, it was at a good point. Well, to say the least, that is. It was doing “well”, so to speak. There didn’t seem to be any significant threat or one imminent, either, for that matter.

But, enough of that... I shouldn’t be giving background information on a forum dedicated to that very fact. I’m here to talk about HIDE OR DIE vs DEAD BY DAYLIGHT. So, the basics... Hide or Die poses a threat to DBD. There you go. Bye now.

EXPLANATION

Now, don’t get me wrong - I’m loyal to DBD. I’m straight-faced loyal. And I’ve never played HOD, either. So I’m not one to reference here. Take my word with a grain of salt. When DBD mentions “Asymmetric horror” I instantly think that Friday feel. Ya know, lay down, popcorn, scary-Friday-night slasher kinda thing. That vibe. And, DBD fulfilled that for me for, let’s say, 2 years? My first game on a test build on PC that my friend let me try was crazy.

I loved it so much. But, that magic fled me in the space of 2 years. Which is quite good, I imagine, but that’s not it... even if I were to move in from this game, maybe one day I’d wish to return, only to see it had been taken out by some copycat million-dollar budget corporate arse company that sought to steal that magic from DBD - but no. What am I thinking. I sound mental. I’m probably just making a big deal out of nothing. But I don’t care, I’m addressing this because I’m interested in HOD. And DBD, both equally the same.

HOD is a wide scale asymmetric Horror slasher game, similar to DBD yes, but the sheer expanse of the maps and playable ground is INSANE. I’ve also watched a great amount of gameplay, BETA testings, and countless videos on it. It’s safe to say that the game is AMAZING. But, so is DBD.

But DBD Doesn’t boast the same mechanics, the same features... it sorta lacks some of those vibes I mentioned, ya know? Like c’mon, literally just check out the picture I attached on this thread. It’s great. I know it’s just art for the game, but it’s certainly much more Friday-night slasher asymmetric Horror to me than DBD is.

But I don’t know, is it just me?

YOUR TURN

Now, feel free to go check it out yourself. I’m attaching several more pictures below just in case you wanna quickly see em and go. And please, no toxicity on this forum, just honest opinions and your own personal beliefs on the matter. Pick a side, DBD or HOD! Or, be like me, and join both. :)

Thank you all for taking the time to (hopefully) read this discussion. Now it’s your turn.

F0833389-A650-4F3E-AAC1-BC20A83A7C4B.jpeg 448D9E12-AA38-41B0-B8AD-D0C39B874EBE.jpeg 39B0E066-B117-4343-8EAF-DB2C1E531162.jpeg

P.S I tagged Halloween because this whole discussion gives me the Halloween vibe talkin bout HOD!

Comments

  • @TerrorUnleashed said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/717752#Comment_717752

    I don't really care about player bases at the moment. Players can unexpectedly rise in numbers, and besides, we've already ruled out that the game is dead.

    I know, I was talking to some person who said that the game was alive. Thanks for commenting anyways!

  • @DeadbyDeathGarden said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/742850#Comment_742850

    I know, I was talking to some person who said that the game was alive. Thanks for commenting anyways!

    Ok :)

  • I wouldn't call it a threat, but more of a very slight competitor. It has its own variation on asymmetrical horror, similar in a way to how Deciet has multiple killers that have to work together to win, Hide or Die is more of a battle royale version of the one killer/multiple survivors format (based on what I've seen). DBD is unique in the way it's game plays out. Just like Hide or Die is unique in that sense too. But this is my take on the design aspect on it. It also not being able to retain a player base shows that it isn't a strong competitor or even a "Killer" of DBD like you describe it.

    Overwatch was supposed to "Kill" TF2, but it didn't for similar reasons.

    I think @SpaceCoconut covers the more technical aspects better than I could.

    And @Xboned makes some relevant points: that it isn't on console, which is a big factor for quite a few players (myself included), and that not everyone wants to play both roles (because if you are bad at one role, and are still forced to play it, even if you are not having fun, you can't have a chance to play the part you are good at... at least if you are good at killer).

    Survivor seems very weak, since they have limited stealth options and ways to temporarily stop the killer.

    And, to me, the designs of the killers don't really make sense to me. Why aren't killers variations of survivors due to the only difference between them being that darkness consumes them? Why do survivors become completely random people when they become killers? What is the darkness in this game? At least the Fog, the Entity, and the Realm are semi-explained in DBD as partially lovecraftian concepts. All Characters (killers and survivors) in DBD make sense, and the gameplay elements work (maybe not as well as they should in some situations, but that's neither here nor there).


    Based on what I've read from your responses, you seem more intent on pushing any criticism underground while only taking what you want from it. Like when you responded to @The_Manlet. They were talking about how the game made no impact, less so than Last Year. You somehow pull out the idea that Last Year did badly and that HOD is going to surpass them, which as @SpaceCoconut pointed out, is pretty hard when a game's population is 0.

    You also described @Xboned's real criticism as sarcasm, which he genuinely wasn't being from reading his post.

    But... that could be misinterpretation on my part. Please prove me wrong about you.

  • @Gemaniacal said:

    Terror, first allow me to compliment your enthusiasm. It's much appreciated.

    Like another user mentioned, earlier in the month the HOD dev's decided to completely switch up their game plan, and our anticipating their relaunch soon.

    They have actually decided to use more of the DBD formula, where it will either be 4v1, or 5v1. And the Hunter(Killer) role will be permanent per round. The maps will also be shrunk down to accommodate this new approach.

    I was actually just visiting the discord server today, to read up on news (don't know why, since I'm only a console player whom can't even play it, lol). One of the dev's mentioned they are a fan of DBD's progression/leveling, and they intend on relaunching the game with a similar system.

    So I suppose now more than ever, they will be more closely resembling DBD. The question remains whether that title will continue being more of a casual/party asymm, or have a more competitive edge.

    Personally, I am keeping a closer eye on Last Year: The Nightmare, with their upcoming relaunch (speculation points towards late October). While I appreciate HOD's art style, LY is just impeccable look wise. But with plans of porting to console soon after the PC relaunch, and with HOD not having any console plans at the time, LY will end up being the initial true competition. Especially with rumours of the F13 servers shutting down by years end. Those players will want a replacement that's not DBD, and LY will be that similar Party Horror game.

    Excuse my novella, this is my first post on the forums, got a bit carried away, ha.

    I didn't even know that Last Year was coming to console... or that it could possibly be coming soon.

  • @SpaceCoconut said:

    https://steamcharts.com/app/731620

    Right now, Hide or Die has 0 people playing.

    The HoD devs have released a statement talking about how their systems haven't maintained the playerbase post-launch. They're going to try again, but that's exactly what Deathgarden did and currently DG had 42 people playing as of this post.

    In order for anything to be a "threat" to DbD it will need to be complete at launch with minimal bugs and fleshed out systems that are engaging to the players.

    The gameplay itself must be new and fresh but still enjoyable on its own.

    Even today, newer players of DbD do not stick with it for long because of many of the systems and issues that exist. This is also why DbD only had a peak of 47k players during the last 30 days which included a free weekend and the release of the Stranger Things dlc.

    Right now the average player count for the past 30 days is still around 20k which is the same it's been since June 2018.

    Dead by Daylight can't grow an audience, the majority of players are those who've become invested in the game since the beginning. Newer players leave quite quickly.

    In order for a new competitor to be a threat do DbD, it's going to have to solve all of DbD's problems and release the game in a complete state.

    Hide or Die may not kill DbD, but I hope they can fix their game in a way that the DbD devs refuse to.

    I like this.

  • Hide or Die peaked at 0 players in the last 24 hours, and 10 in the last 30 days, per Steamcharts. Recovery from that kind of reception seems like a pretty tall order.

    I dunno what's going on with the Last Year: The Nightmare relaunch that someone else mentioned, but that game flatlined almost immediately after it came out last December. It never even launched on Steam, and the official Twitter account has been silent since August. When I played it at launch, it was fun-ish (on the survivor side anyway), yet there was not a lot of moment-to-moment nuance, and the lack of a progression system completely killed any momentum it might have had. It is a very nice-looking game though.

    The only game that posed any real threat to DBD was Friday the 13th, and that was mostly down to the strong license. The developers of that game completely soiled the bed and effectively abandoned it after they made their money. It was a disaster, and can't even crack a thousand players at this point. Now the developers are working on an asymmetrical Predator game for PS4, and I have zero confidence in it.

    DBD is the 400-pound gorilla in the one-versus-many genre. It was first to the table (well, minus Evolve... but that was a huge misstep), it's got a stranglehold on a lot of popular genre-appropriate licenses, and (despite some issues) its core gameplay loop is engaging. It's the World of Warcraft of asymmetrical horror, and I think it would take a really good and well-supported game (probably with a really strong license) to properly threaten it.

  • @Rydog said:

    Hide or Die peaked at 0 players in the last 24 hours, and 10 in the last 30 days, per Steamcharts. Recovery from that kind of reception seems like a pretty tall order.

    I dunno what's going on with the Last Year: The Nightmare relaunch that someone else mentioned, but that game flatlined almost immediately after it came out last December. It never even launched on Steam, and the official Twitter account has been silent since August. When I played it at launch, it was fun-ish (on the survivor side anyway), yet there was not a lot of moment-to-moment nuance, and the lack of a progression system completely killed any momentum it might have had. It is a very nice-looking game though.

    The only game that posed any real threat to DBD was Friday the 13th, and that was mostly down to the strong license. The developers of that game completely soiled the bed and effectively abandoned it after they made their money. It was a disaster, and can't even crack a thousand players at this point. Now the developers are working on an asymmetrical Predator game for PS4, and I have zero confidence in it.

    DBD is the 400-pound gorilla in the one-versus-many genre. It was first to the table (well, minus Evolve... but that was a huge misstep), it's got a stranglehold on a lot of popular genre-appropriate licenses, and (despite some issues) its core gameplay loop is engaging. It's the World of Warcraft of asymmetrical horror, and I think it would take a really good and well-supported game (probably with a really strong license) to properly threaten it.

    Again, please do not repeat past replies. Don't reproduce comments for no reason - it doesn't make you any more of a hero. Thank you.

  • @Raven014 said:

    I wouldn't call it a threat, but more of a very slight competitor. It has its own variation on asymmetrical horror, similar in a way to how Deciet has multiple killers that have to work together to win, Hide or Die is more of a battle royale version of the one killer/multiple survivors format (based on what I've seen). DBD is unique in the way it's game plays out. Just like Hide or Die is unique in that sense too. But this is my take on the design aspect on it. It also not being able to retain a player base shows that it isn't a strong competitor or even a "Killer" of DBD like you describe it.

    Overwatch was supposed to "Kill" TF2, but it didn't for similar reasons.

    I think @SpaceCoconut covers the more technical aspects better than I could.

    And @Xboned makes some relevant points: that it isn't on console, which is a big factor for quite a few players (myself included), and that not everyone wants to play both roles (because if you are bad at one role, and are still forced to play it, even if you are not having fun, you can't have a chance to play the part you are good at... at least if you are good at killer).

    Survivor seems very weak, since they have limited stealth options and ways to temporarily stop the killer.

    And, to me, the designs of the killers don't really make sense to me. Why aren't killers variations of survivors due to the only difference between them being that darkness consumes them? Why do survivors become completely random people when they become killers? What is the darkness in this game? At least the Fog, the Entity, and the Realm are semi-explained in DBD as partially lovecraftian concepts. All Characters (killers and survivors) in DBD make sense, and the gameplay elements work (maybe not as well as they should in some situations, but that's neither here nor there).

    Based on what I've read from your responses, you seem more intent on pushing any criticism underground while only taking what you want from it. Like when you responded to @The_Manlet. They were talking about how the game made no impact, less so than Last Year. You somehow pull out the idea that Last Year did badly and that HOD is going to surpass them, which as @SpaceCoconut pointed out, is pretty hard when a game's population is 0.

    You also described @Xboned's real criticism as sarcasm, which he genuinely wasn't being from reading his post.

    But... that could be misinterpretation on my part. Please prove me wrong about you.

    I was with you on this until you said "please prove me wrong about you" - that is unsettling. You were 100% right with your comment that you brought to the table until that. Please clarify. And, if that is saying you think I'm a bad character, I'll take that as a personal attack. And no, you didn't misinterpret Xboned's comment. I did. :)

  • @TerrorUnleashed said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/764901#Comment_764901

    I was with you on this until you said "please prove me wrong about you" - that is unsettling. You were 100% right with your comment that you brought to the table until that. Please clarify. And, if that is saying you think I'm a bad character, I'll take that as a personal attack. And no, you didn't misinterpret Xboned's comment. I did. :)

    I was referring to the fact that you seem biased in favor of HOD to the point of twisting words and writing possible insults to what I interpreted as legit criticism. Not about the Xboned comment. I'm not saying you're a bad character, but you have actions I wouldn't agree with during your discussions.

    I was asking for you to prove that statement wrong.

  • @TerrorUnleashed said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/765176#Comment_765176

    Again, please do not repeat past replies. Don't reproduce comments for no reason - it doesn't make you any more of a hero. Thank you.

    Didn't even realize I had replied to this thread multiple times with similar information, but that's what can happen when you keep necroing an old thread, which you seem to have done a couple of times here.

    In any case, in the reply you're taking issue with, I've just tried to provide context for the discussion topic (i.e. citing player numbers to justify why Hide or Die is not a threat to DBD), and explain why I feel the way I do about DBD's current competitors.

  • Doubt it they both seem decently different gameplay wise from what ive seen and unless the dbd devs do something to piss off the community to the point of jumping ship to another game at least for a while i doubt it though i do enjoy watching hide or die a bit more

  • @Raven014 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/780483#Comment_780483

    I was referring to the fact that you seem biased in favor of HOD to the point of twisting words and writing possible insults to what I interpreted as legit criticism. Not about the Xboned comment. I'm not saying you're a bad character, but you have actions I wouldn't agree with during your discussions.

    I was asking for you to prove that statement wrong.

    I'm not biased - I'm not in favour of either. This is simply a discussion, so there's no need for it. Didn't see why I upset you so easily, you should just get over it. Anything can be taken as 'legit criticism' depending on how it is worded, so I took the statement as just that.

  • @Rydog said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/780480#Comment_780480

    Didn't even realize I had replied to this thread multiple times with similar information, but that's what can happen when you keep necroing an old thread, which you seem to have done a couple of times here.

    In any case, in the reply you're taking issue with, I've just tried to provide context for the discussion topic (i.e. citing player numbers to justify why Hide or Die is not a threat to DBD), and explain why I feel the way I do about DBD's current competitors.

    Not saying you did it on purpose. Just try and pay attention to the thread titles, and while some are similar, because of repeated questions and discussions, I for one can remember my comments on each thread. But then again, that's just me. I understand you thought you were giving context as of player bases, however, countless numbers of people have already pointed that out on this thread.

  • @TerrorUnleashed said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/781093#Comment_781093

    Not saying you did it on purpose. Just try and pay attention to the thread titles, and while some are similar, because of repeated questions and discussions, I for one can remember my comments on each thread. But then again, that's just me. I understand you thought you were giving context as of player bases, however, countless numbers of people have already pointed that out on this thread.

    It's too bad you can't remember that you're replying to a thread that's been dormant for a week.

  • @TerrorUnleashed said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/780704#Comment_780704

    I'm not biased - I'm not in favour of either. This is simply a discussion, so there's no need for it. Didn't see why I upset you so easily, you should just get over it. Anything can be taken as 'legit criticism' depending on how it is worded, so I took the statement as just that.

    My statement was based on what I saw in other replies. That's why I asked for you to debunk my opinion about you. That is all.

  • I

    @Rydog said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/794873#Comment_794873

    It's too bad you can't remember that you're replying to a thread that's been dormant for a week.

    I just said I can... are you blind?

1 2 ›