So... about Michael Myers mask from Halloween (2018)...
Introduction
Hey... So we're back at it again with the age old question of "why haven't we been given any information on Michael Myers from Halloween 2018 being a thing?" Long question I know, but hear me out.
I've already gone in-depth with this question in a previous post which I will list below (Don't know if i'm allowed to do that, hopefully this won't cause any issues in the future...)
@FireHazard said:
Introduction
Hi! This post for today will discuss the old rumors back from the Halloween Blight event from 2018.
Back when that event was almost on the horizon, rumors were spread around about Michael Myers mask from the "new" Halloween (2018) movie being added into the game around that time of this event. And I was excited yet skeptical for something like that to happen, I was excited because I love Michael Myers and that mask from that movie was amazing compared to other new additions to the franchise.
But I was skeptical because BHVR has trouble with licenses and they're under contract when using said licenses in their game.
Michael Myers Mask (2018) vs (1978)
https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/971/CDNP4QXOSAJF.png
The mask itself is worn, and shows sign of age due to the film taking place many years after Michael's capture in this new time-line. Compared to how the mask used to look from Halloween (1978)
https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/392/9WPE7VYSES6H.png
Compared to the Halloween (2018) version, the original is always the best out of these things. But for me I always like an aged look on certain things in films to give the viewer and idea of how long its been unused or etc.
I thought it was an amazing makeup job on Michael's aged mask in the 2018 version, and it was a good homage to what came before it. I thought "this mask would look AWESOME on Michael in DBD" but as I said before, these were just rumors.
Conclusion
My last statement to this post is I would hope they get the license for something like this to be added to Michael as I love the mask from Halloween (2018) and it would be a great counterpart to the original Halloween (1978)'s version.
@not_Queen @Peanits Have they ever considered anything like this at BHVR to happen? I'm sure it would be an amazing addition to Michael's cosmetics. I understand how hard it is to get a license/work with said license for these movie Killers, but me and many others would like to see something like this I'm sure of it.
Thanks as always for reading,
see you in the fog.
And in this post, I went in a full depth discussion on why his mask would be a great fit for a more "modern look." Yes, the Mask and the 2018 Myers are set in a different timeline from the main one, but the concept of a more gritty and old mask has always interested me... Its not even a huge challenge to add it in, so I'm curious to why it never was...
For comparison
This is Michael Myers mask from 2018
And this is the original adaptation from the classic 1978 film, over 41 years ago as of writing this post.
The reason something like this should happen...
Now, this might be a more "sloppier" post than the previous one above, but i'll explain myself right here. Michael Myers as a whole as seen his fair share of age for the past 41 years, hes tired, aged, and overall different from how he was in the past.
He isn't the same, and that reflects this claim in the 2018 adaptation. Hes donned a new look, and overall a new approach to killing. He didn't originally be so brash with some of his kills (at least most of his kills he wasn't) but as you see in the newer Halloween, hes shown being more of a "brute" with how he kills now. He isn't a silent ninja like he used to be, hes more clumsy... careless if you will. And his new style reflects that, with a newer aged mask which reflects the overall tone that he as a character has aged since he was locked up.
The general concept of Michael Myers is different, if ever so slightly... But for a modern age compared to his original origins... that's quite different. But enough about my rambling, my point is, it isn't 1978 anymore folks, and I think Michael Myers deserves a newer... aged look, like he got in the 2018 film. Its just a thought, even if its small, and I don't expect them to take priority of this over other issues, or even consider this at all as history has shown... But I can only hope, and continue the discussions to one day have a concept like this come to life for The Shape himself.
Past discussions
Now, I've talked about this MANY, MANY, MANY! Times... Over the past year and even before, but every time I do, I get closer to the answer to the question not just myself, but many others have asked... "Why? Why has this never been considered and what is the reason behind it?"
That's the one thing I've yet to solve, is it a licensing issue? Do the rights cost too much? Or is it too minor of a change to even consider? These questions have been dodged for so long, and its honestly become a conspiracy at this point... (Crazy to say I know.) But seriously, why has this been dodged for so long? Why can't they give us a small answer, a hint, anything... As to why they won't consider this...
Conclusion
I leave you all to ponder these questions, and to discuss it below in the comments, or anywhere in-general, whatever gets the ball rolling... But do know this... If we ever do get an answer to these questions, I do hope it will be soon.
And if not, than I suppose it was never meant to be...
Tl;DR
Michael Myers isn't the same as he was in 1978, and since its been 41 years since his creation he deserves a new updated look to reflect that like in the new timeline in Halloween (2018)
The question is though, why has this been ignored for so long? Why hasn't there been an answer to this question for almost a year and a half. Please Devs, I really would like to know... @Peanits @not_Queen
Edit
Messed up and put that its been 49 years since the original Halloween, when in reality its only been 41 as of writing this post.



Comments
It's due to licensing issues. They can't exactly get the rights to change a character's appearance or add new cosmetics to them without the owner's permission, and that takes awhile. Since they managed to get cosmetics for Pig, however, this means we might be able to see the possibility of Freddy, Mike, and Leather all getting some new cosmetics in the future, but don't quote me on that.
I hope we can! When I saw there were new Pig/Saw cosmetics, I was thrilled! My favorite of the Licensed killers so far.
Well yes there would have to be licensing needed to be done, but if the Pig and Tapp can get new cosmetics (even though nobody asked for them) and now, with Dead by Daylight getting the arguably biggest licensed contract this game has seen, getting new cosmetics for Micheal (and maybe an older looking Laurie, maybe with her jacket and wearing glasses) should not be so much of a problem other than a however long time consumption. And money of course, but that shouldn’t be a problem because this game is going to get a whole lot more players pretty soon.
That may be true, but the question pertains to an OFFICIAL statement as this is all pretty much speculation.
They dodge the question without even giving a reason, so saying it a licensing issue could possible be true, or it could be way off the target. While this seems like the more practical reason, its not an official sited thing they've said.
Its odd that they never actually bother giving a reason to this, its as if its forbidden to talk about...
This is because the 2018 mask is held by a separate license holder. Miramax Films owns the rights to the the 2018 mask, while Compass International Pictures owns the rights to the original movie and mask as seen in DBD. If the devs wanted to get the new mask, they would have to talk to Miramax which is probably like getting the rights to a whole new character. They might be focusing on getting ACTUAL licensed characters instead of cosmetics. That being said, I hope we do get that new mask someday.
This is true, but its odd that an official statement to these questions is never given. The question is outright ignored... I've asked in multiple dev Q&As, posts, discussions, I've even asked devs out right, and its ignored at every turn.
Why is that? Whats the big secret?
So why isn't this addressed in a statement by DBD?
If this is the case, why is the question of adding the mask or getting the rights just flat out ignored? Its an odd answer to give since the question goes back to even when Michael Myers first came out, people asked about the Rob Zombie masks and looks for the character, but the questions are ignored at every turn.
Are they under contract to not say anything or something?
Yeah, I definitely agree with you. And i'm not sure myself why they haven't given out some hints, but it's probably some contract stuff like you said.
Just give it to us. Please.....
We may never know, which is sad to say. But my hope is to get a answer even if its a small one... Anything could give some insight on these questions and the concept as a whole.
Okay, why hasn't anyone brought this up... The dates are right there... 1978 & 2018... That's FORTY YEARS, not 49! Where the hell did 49 come from...?
🤷🏻♂️🤦🏻♂️
Not to argue you with you or anything but Compass doesn't exist anymore. They are now called Trancas International Films and have produced every Halloween movie including 2018. So getting the 2018 mask wont be as hard as it sounds.
The only hiccup might be Universal who co-owns 2018. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2018 cosmetics are tied up in negotiations with a Universal themed chapter (Dracula, Conjuring, Child's Play, The Ring).
Like how the SAW cosmetics and Ash were negotiated together.
I am just happy We have mm. I have never played a game where the killers felt so true to form.
Some cosmetic options would be nice but I am guessing that if they aren't doing it it's because it's not cost effective.
We are getting a Stranger Things monster ffs.
I wonder if $ plays a role...
To be fair, the original Halloween and the rights are still trademarked under Compass. And the 2018 mask is always under the Miramax trademark even though Trancas may have played a part in production.
If one thing devs can do good it is dodging questions. Uncomfortable questions. I notice that on every q&a session, the most relevant, most upvoted but also most critical and difficult questions get dodged every time. It's frustating
An odd way of going about a Q&A for sure.
A small error, i'll fix it.
The fact they can be negotiated though is why I find it odd they never are...
And its also odd that the entire concept to even mention the Mask and in-general the movie is also... odd...