Fun™ — Generators ☹
Prologue
It's getting real tiring to power through generators with Ruin, and I understand that killers need a that time to get sacrifices... but man, it feels so terrible to stay in one place for the majority of the game, ya know? I, and as well as the community, want the monotonous time we spend repairing generators be dispersed into other small, fun tasks.
I know you get told this a lot as the developers of Dead By Daylight, so instead of suggesting something, I would like to know if you have anything planned to shake things up for survivors. It's okay if you don't have an exact date or a Soon™ to share, but something as small as "We are thinking about it" or "It's definitely possible in the future" will really soothe us! :)
I already suggested something to mix things up for survivors, click the link below to see my suggestion if you're at all curious! 🙂
@NMCKE said:
Prologue
As we all know, the game can flash before our eyes if your killer is not tremendously effective at applying pressure, or is not using perks to slow the game down. Therefore, we reach a point in the game where both sides aren't happy such as the killer not having enough time to get hooks, and the survivors are forced to hold M1 for God knows how long.
Base Changes
These changes are needed if we would want a secondary objective:
- Generators take 60 charges to fully repair, and toolboxes will get nerfed to match their respective charges for the new generator repair time.
- Generators will spawn further apart from each other.
- If the killer looks at a generator, they can see how long ago a survivor was last interacting with it.
Introducing Gasoline
https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/148/URF1IYLG9ZCY.jpg
https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/171/N2QCL614RRJG.jpg
Generators cannot be repaired if they have no gasoline, which means survivors are forced to explore the terrain for gas stations. There are 2 gas stations; each of them require the survivor to perform an 8 second animation of the survivor grabbing an empty gas can from a box, and filling it up with the pump. Survivors can see how much gasoline is in their gas can by a red gauge around it; this is exactly like the Spirit's power gauge meter. Each gas station has 3 gas cans, but after the gas can is poured into the generator, the survivor can reuse the gas can as many times as they want by refilling it at a gas station.
Survivors can carry both an item, and a gas can simultaneously, but if they are attacked, the survivor will spill 25% of their gasoline within the gas can; the penalty is doubled when the attack puts them into the dying state. If for some reason a gas can is dropped, dropped gas cans can be seen by all survivors within an unlimited aura-reading range. Pouring gasoline into a generator will be an 8 second animation, and if it's ever interrupted by the killer, the gas can is dropped with whatever gasoline is left in it. Each full gas can will give the generator 30 charges, which means you will be able to repair 30 charges before gas runs out. If there are multiple survivors repairing a generator, gas will be used up faster, but y'all will still repair 30 charges.
https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/328/3CEZKE4UJN5L.gif
Credit to @C3Tooth for the animation
The killer can regress a generator, but only the amount of gas in them at a rate of 0.25c/s. Survivors cannot stop this regression, but it will automatically stop once the amount of gas reaches 0 charges.
Concerns
"Will this actually prolong the game since you buffed generator times for the survivors?"
Since generators require 60 charges to be repaired, and gas cans allow 30 charges in every full pour, you'll need 2 gas cans to fully repair a generator. That's basically around 32 seconds of animations, plus travel time between stations. If you get caught by the killer, and get put into the dying state, which drops your gas can, we are looking at more than 120 seconds to complete a generator - at a worse case scenario. Best case scenario, maybe 100 seconds per generator, if the killer doesn't interfere.
Epilogue
I made this idea because honestly, playing killer is too exhausting when I have to deal with the gen-blitzkrieg in almost every game, and survivor is just not fun anymore when you're holding M1 for majority of the game. This bothered me so much that I'll likely take a long break from the game, but I want to give the developers something to look at to improve their game before I do take a break. Of course if certain numbers are too high or too low, they can be later changed to fit the balance of the game. However, this should give you the general basis of what we desperately need in Dead by Daylight. I love the game, and will always support it, but I don't find it fun anymore, so it's time for me to move on. Perhaps, I'll comeback when I find it fun again, but that will depend on how things go for me.

Comments
..You could always hunt for the Ruin totem?
I mean yeah; Survivors need a more solid second objective..like carrying parts from a nearby crate to the Genny, then you work for 10-20 seconds, get another part..Or something.
Something to break up holding a button and waiting for skillchecks.
I learned the hard way that it's sometimes bad to hunt down the Ruin totem because you could waste a lot of time looking for it when you could have 2 generators done within that time.
To be clear, I'm not complaining about Ruin, I'm complaining about the monotonous task us survivors have to deal with. :(
I meant to be more jokey, but I think I came off snarky, for which I apologize. x.x
I do 100% agree there should be another objective.
Just get rid of the totem, do the secondary objective. Ignoring it and powering through gens is the OPPOSITE of what you're supposed to do.
Lol no, repairing the gens will always be your primary objective
looking up for the ruin makes you waste a lot of time, no point on doing that tbh.
That being said, a mandatory second objective should be added to aid M1 killers and add more suspense/fun for survivors. It's no fun for either side to have two gens done when playing as the pig (or another M1) before you even get a glance at a survivor
On that note, there's no point in complaining about NOED or Ruin when you flat out refuse to do totems. They're meant to be a secondary objective and ignoring them is on the survivors. (Not pointing you out specifically, just those that complain about Hex perks)
Totems=Hold m1/R2/RT longer, this post is about holding m1/R2/RT for long periods of time isn’t funTM.
Since you believe totems are a secondary objective, which I respect your opinion, but out of curiosity, why do generators continue to get done way too fast? I thought this problem was addressed a long time ago.
To skip to the point I'm trying to make, totems aren't secondary objectives — they are optional objectives because you're aren't forced to cleanse them. I see many survivors, including myself, ignore totems and escape scratch free.
I'm not sure what you want then. Do totems. You get blood points, emblem, and get to dodge/mess with (hopefully) the killer. Not even trying to is on you, not the game.
Though I want some sort of mandatory second objective to complete gens before the gates will open (gas to power them, parts to fix them properly, idk) to help out M1 killers, I know it won't happen without a slew of complaining from both sides. So at this point if you want some spice in your games look for totems, dull or not. There's not much else that can be done.
I never said what I wanted, I don’t care about doing gens through ruin.
Hey Nick, secondary objective is an optional objective, a second objective is a forced objective. :)
If they are indeed optional objectives, then there should be no complaints about NOED or Ruin when it's entirely up to survivors if the perk exists or not. But we see a huge number of complaints about these perks being "OP" anyway. So they're either optional and survivors complaining are just lazy, or they're secondary objectives that are ignored because survivors see gens as the end all be all.
It's really not that through, if I get hit by NOED, I understand it's my fault (exception: when I don't have time to do bones and my teammates are lazy) ☹
I, as well as many other players, want something interesting in the game, not a perk the killer can possibly use out of the hundreds of perks out there that practically forces you to cleanse all totems. Perks shouldn't be used to cover up actual problems in the game because then you get to a point where killers are perk dependent, ya know? The community doesn't like killers who are add-on dependent, but you shouldn't have to hard lock a perk into your build to have a decent chance.
For example: M1 killers tend to use the Spirit Fury Combo because some maps are outrageous in pallets. This is so crazy that the developers recognize the problem, and decided to rework some maps.
Ah, my apologies to @Accorn. 🙂
I had an idea for a different objective via offerings to replace Moris and make them basekit after two hooks. It's lacking in the full idea as the offering was based on the killer and I didn't have time to think of a new objective for EACH killer but the idea was basically that the offering would grant the killer the ability to make survivors undergo their OWN trial(not repairing generators). For example, with the Pig, all survivors would start with an active RBT on their head, and there would be more boxes than normal with extra time on the RBTs to accommodate, and they basically had to get the RBTs off their head. The Pig wouldn't have to search for generators and only needed to look for survivors. The doors would be already opened, you just can't go through them with a trap on your head and would have to find them yourself. She could also put another one on you(as she has 4 still) if she downs you.
Thank you!
I can agree that we need something that doesn't make hex ruin and noed required for m1 killers to be successful, and to give survivors some variety, but then the issue becomes what can MOST survivors and killers agree on is fair? Of course there will always be complaints no matter what is done, but what will get the majority of players on board?
I would also like to know how this is being addressed, a while ago the Devs said they were looking for more things for Survivors to do and then we got 2 special events and then nothing. Now I assumed those events were tests on new mechanics but it has been a long time since those events and we've gotten no new info on the subject.
Killers wouldn't need Ruin if they were strong enough to apply map pressure to the whole team themselves.
Survivors wouldn't Gen rush and get bored doing Gens if they had more to do.
I also really want something else to do besides getting new Killers and Survivors. We can take a break on that aspect of the game in favor something fun and healthy for the game :)
But what about those killers that don’t need the aid? Are we nerfing them at the same time? People would just continue to use them and dominate at any time. Just as people say not to balance the game based off low ranks, you don’t balance (nerf) survivors based off weaker killers.
Totems are done too fast and repairing gens is not exciting. A 2nd objective would help so much.
I would really like to know whether the devs are thinking about making survivor gameplay more interesting.
That's a very good point. We can't just cater to the M1 killers, but we also can't ignore that they're in an awful spot right now. Without some help, we'll continue seeing the same four or five killers again and again because that's the way you win (unless the survivors aren't very competent).
This, we need to spread the love around and focus on the killers who desperately need buffs! :)
What if when the archives come in, one of the ways to fill in the more would be finding survivor 'memories' scattered around the map. Maybe 2 or 3 'pages' hidden that survivor have to collect before the gates are powered to fill in the lore. With decent rewards for completed memories it would give something else to do. Not mandatory. But something to change up gameplay a little. You will still have to do generators but there would be incentive to play hide and seek?
It's definitely something that's being considered, but there are no solid plans I can share.
It's trickier than it seems. Increasing the times a bit doesn't slow the game down much (even if you add 20 seconds to a generator making it 100 seconds, that only adds an extra 100 seconds over the course of the game, some of which can be done simultaneously).
Meanwhile, reducing that time and adding additional objectives around the map removes points of contention. Suddenly it's way harder to find survivors because they're not clustered around generators, they're spread out all over sneaking around.
And then there's always the conundrum of 'if it's harder, it's more fair for the top 5%, but less fair for everyone else' thing.
We are trying to see what we can do though, but it's definitely a lot more complicated than adding a new objective and calling it a day.
Thank you Peanits for answering! :)