DBD doesn't attract toxic people. A lot of people are just toxic.
I've played a LOT of games in my life, and I've invested in so many of them. In every gaming community there's always a group of toxic people, and others always have problem with them. The thing is you should never give them attention, just like trolls, and you should never become one of them, since they are inherently bad people and given the opportunity they would act like this not just in games, but also in life (of course most of the time they don't, because humans are afraid, but anonymity provides a veil for them to hide behind).
Truth is, throughout all of our history as humans, there has always, and always will be toxic people.
Comments
It's a weird derived sense of anger that makes you want to make them feel what you do, you want to inflict hate.
I agree. I wpuld even go as far and say tjat most people are toxic. It always pissed me off and after a while you don't even recognise yourself anymore. I remember being really kind and empathetic kid but time turned me into something else. I am not toxic like other people are but I sure as hell ain't empathetic as I once was.
Because back in the Savannas it would've made sense! A tit for tat, an eye for an eye, it's in our nature, but it doesn't work in modern society, which is why it's the developers responsibility to track these people, otherwise they will risk ruining their game for being labeled as a hub for toxic people, which ironically DBD is just that.
I blame the devs more than anyone else. I run a community (Not a gaming one, but it has its issues with toxicity as well) and I'm the one who holds himself responsible if those people don't get banned or kicked from my community.
Hurting others is one of the most deeply engraved desire in us. We do it because it feels good. Society can and does force us to restrain ourselves, but it doesn't change the fact that we like doing it. The weaker a person is, the more he or she convinces himself/herself that it is WRONG... but inside, we all know the only real reason that holds us back is threat of punishment.
That's why in a relatively new environment, with still palpable rules (I mean, gaming and online communication is not that old), we tend to almost literally go ape.
It will work itself out. I promise. You guys just stop worrying about "toxicity".
Not all game communities are quite as toxic as this, Ive been PVPing since Ultima Online in the 90s - for example in the speedrun community, you can litewrally beat someones World Record time and they will congratulate you, be friends with you and even learn from your run. Beat someone in this game, you get told they will kidnap your family (had it done to me) never in any other game did I have my child threatened.
While there is toxicity in online gaming, its not quite as bad as in this game where you get told to ######### just for winning match as Hag.
Idk about you, but hurting others makes me feel like #########.
Maybe you should talk to a therapist?
Honestly, sometimes I feel like people confuse “toxic” with “being upset at a loss”.
I’ve had people tell me my build is toxic as killer , or that my syringe was toxic as survivor. Both of which are part of the game.
I’ve learned as both killer and survivor that it’s ok to get angry, it’s ok to feel like you could have done a better job. It’s all part of life.
When I feel like people need to chill and take a break is when people cross the line and start name calling and telling people to injure themselves. That’s obviously not cool.
Glad there's another old timer around. While I was gaming and online back then, I never did get involved in UO, but I did get involved in Shadowbane. There was a lot of trash talk and posturing, but it was a far, far different animal than the ######### I see today. I've pretty much become convinced that society is becoming a bunch of sociopaths. It has nothing to do with the actual games, in shadowbane, you could siege someone's city that they spent weeks building up, burn the whole thing to the ground and then camp their corpses all day, killing them on every respawn... and you still didn't get the kind of nastiness you see after someone spent 10-20 minutes investing in a match here.
@Carpemortum that's fear of retribution, disguising itself as "morality". It's common, and not always wrong. In fact, it's a useful survival strategy: if we do not have the strength to resist, we often identify with whatever demand or restriction is forced on us (by parents, society, peer group and so on). We internalize notions of morality, compassion, a sense of community. Of course it comes with the cost of the suppression of one's own self fulfillment.
I AM a therapist by the way.
I quit DBD today for good. The game is making me way too angry. Lots of issues and not just toxicity. Getting called the n word for playing a basement build and then seeing the survivor walk away and bully others is NOT okay.
And yeah, maybe with dedicated servers and all the game will be better and they will be able to track these people (Although it's not that hard to implement a system during post-game chat in which certain words immediately trigger a counter-action), but as a customer using a product, I've waited far too long for it to be fixed, thus I will simply move on. Anyway, you won't be hearing from my anymore, have a good one everybody.
yeah, same here. There's always been trash talk, and rage quitting etc,... but the stuff I get told on a REGULAR BASIS playing DBD is some of the most vile things Ive been told online. From constant N Word to threats of kidnapping, you cant even make this stuff up.
@DrDeepwound threats of kidnapping? Seriously?
Why don't I never get those? :(
yep done live on stream. My mod had to ban them from Twitch chat they were being very creepy, saying all kinds of things about picking my daughter up from school and stuff.