Why did you disable the ability for us to edit the files to make the game run better?

You could at least give us a new menu that gives us more customisation. I cant even run the game anymore. I used to be able to run it. But now i cant get above 10 fps. I have a laptop that is decent but always had trouble running this game. I used to get around 30-40 fps and i was fine with that. The image below is what my game looked like with the files edited. i scaled the resolution to the point where i got decent fps and could see clearly. Any lower and it was hard for me to see things. But the latest patch that fixed some bugs. Made it so i cant use the custom file and can only use in game settings. which are #########. Just like the optimisation for this game. Which they said would get better not worse. Anyone else pissed about this?

20190314235257_1.jpg


Comments

  • Are you talking about the PTB? I dont have the PTB, so I cant judge.

    I too edit my files to make the game runable. For the size of the maps and graphics this game offers, it runs TERRIBLE. Even DayZ, which is still in early access runs smoother than this crap. Editing files is the only way to make the lags bearable. I would be super pissed, if they removed that. Would legit quit. I dont wanna play with 15-20 fps, especially as killer.

  • @ABannedCat said:

    Are you talking about the PTB? I dont have the PTB, so I cant judge.

    I too edit my files to make the game runable. For the size of the maps and graphics this game offers, it runs TERRIBLE. Even DayZ, which is still in early access runs smoother than this crap. Editing files is the only way to make the lags bearable. I would be super pissed, if they removes that. Would legit quit. I dont wanna play with 15-20 fps, especially as killer.

    No i'm talking about the normal game. It stopped letting me edit the files when a patch came out. About the time when the new Spirit cosmetic came out.

  • No potato lasts forever.

  • @Dark_Whorse said:

    No potato lasts forever.

    I know but i thought they where trying to optimise the game more. Not make it worse.


  • @danielbird11 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/510172#Comment_510172

    No i'm talking about the normal game. It stopped letting me edit the files when a patch came out. About the time when the new Spirit cosmetic came out.

    Weird, I can edit my files just fine. Even the resoltuion, and stuff.

  • In all fairness, this can be used to gain an edge (if it works how I think it does, I run ultra no problem).


  • @ABannedCat said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/510176#Comment_510176

    Weird, I can edit my files just fine. Even the resoltuion, and stuff.

    I can do that too. But i cant edit the engine.ini file. That's what gave me the extra fps i needed

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/510189#Comment_510189

    That's like saying we all need to use the same computer, the same mice, the same keyboard, and the same internet, or else someone will have a competitive advantage.

    Computers are all built differently. There's so many parts, and most of them interchangeable, that no two computer is built the same. Options are needed and this game 3 years later still lacks a proper option choices. I've seen asset flips have better options menu than DBD does. At least the resolution option in those isn't a god damn slider for ######### sakes.

    No its not. It's like saying "Devs can't control what we're playing on, but they can control the settings of the game to make it as fair as possible."

  • Defined resolution sizes: Clarity at distance, beefier PCs get an advantage

    Resolution Scaling options: Possibly affect camouflage of players, Worse computers get an advantage

    Ability to turn on/off V-sync: Control smoothness

    Aliasing Options: Clarity at distance

    Shadow texture options: Possibly affect camouflage of players, Worse computers get an advantage

    LOD options: Already broken as it is

    Effects quality options: Spotting sparks on regressing generators, beefier PCs get an advantage

    Foilage quality options: Ever heard of PUBG? This option can break a games balance.

    PostProcessing quality options: Less distortion from the clowns ability, weaker PC gets the advantage

    Framerate limit options: Smoother control, beefier PCs get the advantage.

  • It's about time.

    I have always felt that there were people who got an unfair visual advantage by turning their graphics way down by editing the configuration files.

    I've seen the screenshots, it is impossible to hide in the settings these people use, your blood is ultra visible no matter the surface or lighting and there is like no grass whatsoever and everything is bright and one-dimensional with no shadows.

    This is cheating to be honest.

  • You could at least give us a new menu that gives us more customisation. I cant even run the game anymore. I used to be able to run it.


    To make your own config work with the latest patch change the line "[/script/engine.renderersettings]" or "[SystemSettings]" to 

    [/Script/Engine.RendererOverrideSettings]

    Enjoy you own config :)

  • @criss said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/66968/why-did-you-disable-the-ability-for-us-to-edit-the-files-to-make-the-game-run-better

    To make your own config work with the latest patch change the line "[/script/engine.renderersettings]" or "[SystemSettings]" to 

    [/Script/Engine.RendererOverrideSettings]

    Enjoy you own config :)

    Thank you so much it worked. My potato is still kicking.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/510335#Comment_510335

    To be honest, I would die if my game looked like that.

    It literally looks like you're playing one of those pixelated horror games that were super popular a few years back.

    Better than not being able to play at all

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/510248#Comment_510248

    That wasn't my question at all.

    Play on lowered settings at 60 FPS, then play at high settings at 30 FPS. Tell me which one you found easier to play.

    Because I can tell you right now, skill checks at sub 60 FPS are a ######### ######### to hit.

    you literally asked what competitive advantage these settings would have on the game and then they told you what they would be (my favorite was the foliage, in pubg it was insane how much of advantage turning down foliage gave you)

    they didn't even include turning off chase music so you can hear every action the other person is taking while they can't hear you

    everyone having access to these changes would still mean very little since most players like to have games that don't look or sound like trash and some players are ok with making their game look like crap even on a high end machine for the advantage it gives you

    oh and i used to play this game on 30 fps all the time, good skill checks weren't much harder but great skill checks weren't worth trying

  • I would like the option for extra graphic control, especially if they are already technically in game.

    Although, behavior may have a reason for not releasing them yet.

  • Does your computer even meet the minimum hardware requirements?

  • Its crazy! Imagine how easy it is to see Survivors with those setttings.

  • @AetherBytes said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/510226#Comment_510226

    No its not. It's like saying "Devs can't control what we're playing on, but they can control the settings of the game to make it as fair as possible."

    no..they can't. That's the problem. They built the meta of this game around a bunch of things THEY WISH they could control. Bet this questiooon was asked by some dumb exec there at least once


    "can we somehow stop them from adjusting the brightness of their monitors!!!?>??"

  • @Aceonfire said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/510233#Comment_510233

    no..they can't. That's the problem. They built the meta of this game around a bunch of things THEY WISH they could control. Bet this questiooon was asked by some dumb exec there at least once

    "can we somehow stop them from adjusting the brightness of their monitors!!!?>??"

    That falls into what they can't control, plus that's not restricted to PC, and is a moot point.

  • Meeting the requirements of games is one of the basics of PC gaming.

    If you can't play it and you want to, it might be time to upgrade.

    I wouldn't mind SOME more options, but we would never be able to set it so pixelated.

  • You could at least give us a new menu that gives us more customisation. I cant even run the game anymore. I used to be able to run it.

    That looks so 8 bit i'm expecting Super Mario to come jump on Jake's head.


  • @Boss said:

    Meeting the requirements of games is one of the basics of PC gaming.

    If you can't play it and you want to, it might be time to upgrade.

    I wouldn't mind SOME more options, but we would never be able to set it so pixelated.

    The pixel art look is interesting but seriously a game should never have the ability to be reduced graphically to the point that it gives an unfair advantage.


    We used to do this in Counterstrike disabling meshes and grass so we could see through the bridge in CS_Aztec and other spots. It's without a doubt an unfair advantage, and it's huge in a game like DbD that is all about hide and seek.

  • @Mochan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/510637#Comment_510637

    The pixel art look is interesting but seriously a game should never have the ability to be reduced graphically to the point that it gives an unfair advantage.

    We used to do this in Counterstrike disabling meshes and grass so we could see through the bridge in CS_Aztec and other spots. It's without a doubt an unfair advantage, and it's huge in a game like DbD that is all about hide and seek.

    Yeah i agree.

  • I am saving that screenshot. That looks awesome! It reminds me of retro games from the 90s.


  • @[Deleted User] said:

    F*ck!

    dead by roblox. i'll always miss you. best settings ever... R.I.P.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/805/YQC59SNLM8B3.png

    I dont know, but I kinda wanna try those settings now. Can you teach me how to turn Dbd into Roblox?

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    F*ck!

    dead by roblox. i'll always miss you. best settings ever... R.I.P.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/805/YQC59SNLM8B3.png

    how

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/510233#Comment_510233

    Tell me what the competitive advantages of having:

    Defined resolution sizes

    Resolution Scaling options

    Ability to turn on/off V-sync

    Aliasing Options

    Shadow texture options

    LOD options

    Effects quality options

    Foilage quality options

    PostProcessing quality options

    Framerate limit options

    ...Would have on people? Mind you, EVERYONE would be able to have access to these options.

    To me, having two people with varying different computers, where both can achieve 60 FPS despite one being much stronger than the other, seems competitively more fair to me, than one person having 60 FPS and the other barely reaching 20.

    Limiting the shadows or texture of foliage and clutter on screen making it easier to see a survivor. For one.

  • @Orion said:

    Does your computer even meet the minimum hardware requirements?

    Yes it does apart from the graphics card which is a Intel

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    F*ck!

    dead by roblox. i'll always miss you. best settings ever... R.I.P.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/805/YQC59SNLM8B3.png

    Is that dbd or an actual roblox game?

  • @AetherBytes said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/510610#Comment_510610

    That falls into what they can't control, plus that's not restricted to PC, and is a moot point.

    I said they can't control it. Not sure what you mean. Also, Never said it was restricted to the PC. My point was PC gamers typically are tinkers, (at least historically. I see that changing in the near future). Thus it makes NO sense to leave something as critical as brightness/gamma control out, knowing the vast multitude of hardware it'll be played on; imo.... beyond rational explanation.

    The only "explanation" I've heard (and honestly it's hearsay because there are many Dev posts/blogs/updates I've not read, and I've never read it myself), is for fairness. Visibility is crucial. If I play as killer, disable all image adjustments, brightness/gamma profiles, and reset monitor etc so it's all fully default, it's damn near impossible to see a great number of character/outfit combinations. Some are truly invisible when not moving against a good number of texture backdrops as well. I don't have the best eyesight, and if I had to play without any adjustments, I would have quit after an hour.

    However; After experimenting with my monitor's brightness and gamma options, as well as my Nvidia control panel options, when I was actively playing, I managed to compensate for things like

    1. The gigantic burning ball of Hydrogen roughly 93 mil. mi. away which produces annoying little bastards called photons that affect game play immensely upon even mild to moderate exposure.
    2. 120 hour work week and mah eyes r broke.
    3. Playing on my work PC during above said 120 hour work weeks, which has a monitor that has seen it's prime.
    4. Poor or bug ridden programming in the game itself. Mt Ormond for example.

    Fortunately It didnt take much and image quality only suffered a very small amount due to a washed out look on some maps.


    @ DEVS: You know how in some games, they provide the player with a set gamma image and slider with instructions on how to adjust? Did you ever notice the type of games that brought that into the mainstream of option menus? Horror maybe? Competitive FPS's maybe? I don't think it's even possible without having some maps washed out and losing some image quality. I account for the worst of them and just deal with some being washed out slightly (much much more on my work monitor). If the maps and characters were more of a consideration of having to adhere to a standard gamma adjustment, from the beginning, this would have been avoided..

    (and if you meant to make Claudette 100 percent invisible in so many lighting/areas and irl situations, then I hope a moose takes a gigantic dump on your front porch in the morning. j/k (sorta))

    You guys have so much work for some very early bad decisions imo. I do sincerely hope you sort it out. I do love the idea of the game and would be straight up lying if I didnt say I had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, once you get past a certain point of familiarity, the fun turns to frustration too often and the frustration leads to salt. Probably the reason the gaming communicty regards DBD as the most toxic of them all

  • Dude. I know this post is old and all, but that looks like DBD for PS1. I'd love to be able to make mine look like that.