My problem with the hatch mechanic
My problem with the hatch is for multiple reasons but i'll mention 2.
- It rewards survivors for failing. The reverse would be like if the killer kills 3 survivor, then the last survivor teleports to the hook and dies, if the survivor is the last one, they should have to put some effort to fight for their survival and escape.
- It is hilariously convenient. For example, one game I had with the Plague turned out like this, one survivor on a hook, and the rest are downed, I hook one of them, they jump off, then I chase the survivor for over 2 minutes, I hook them again, found the other survivors, I pick one of them and hook them and dies, with literally a FEW more seconds before the last survivor dies on the ground, they escape through the hatch and win. I had no control over it, the survivor was downed and has been beaten by me, but they still win because hatch ex-machina.
There is no excuse for a pity mechanic that does not increase the survivors skill. I am NOT saying that the killer has to get the final survivor killed guaranteed. But the survivor needs to put in more effort to win. The hatch does not need a change, it needs a complete rework, the end game collapse does not help much, if RNGesus is not on your side, the problems I have mentioned will still apply.
So the TLDR is the hatch reward failing survivors and heavily favors them. I know than I am just one person, so some to most might not agree, but I would like the devs to respond to this and what they think about this, and the rest of you too.
Comments
I have no idea what you are complaining about, with the endgame collapse that you claim does not help much has "hatch closing" in which if you are an invisible killer, you can close it while the survivor cannot even see you, it does not reward the survivor for failing anymore because they will depip if they even enter it with 5-4 gens remaining
The hatch is to give the remaining survivor hope which the entity feeds off in the lore.
In terms of gameplay its due to you being paired with randoms when playing solo, if the others go down easily yet you play well it's a chance for you to get out instead of being punished for the mistakes of the others.
The hatch gives the last remaining survivor 7000bloodpoints and a free escape.
Survivors have hatch that only the last member can use per match.
Killers have Mori usable on between 1 to 4 Survivors per match.
Killers will soon be able to close the hatch
Yet Survivors wont be able to pick the Killers pocket for their Mori offering.
@SlinkyJinky Comparing Moris with Hatch is BS
A Mori is an offering, that cost you 3000-7000BP. Hatch is free for last SV. Or bring a key with milky glass and ring. At max you lose 70000BP or 0BP if you escape through the gate.
Couple of problems here...
Stop going in with the assumption you deserve a 4K every match and you won't be upset when you don't get it.
The survivor escaping out of the hatch isn't a win for that survivor, sure they get points but that is it... It is a draw between killer and survivor, since they never finished the gens to escape.
But doesn't matter cause hopefully the EGC will be out next week and this will all be moot.
Even though this is a non-issue don't compare hatch to a mori.
A mori is something you have to bring into the game however Hatch has been a pity mechanic in the base game
Also noed is not comparable to hatch as once again in something you have to actively bring Hatch is a free mechanic
I read it and attempted to sympathize but all I heard was a bunch of entitled whining.
You're not entitled to a 4k because you decided to slug (boring strategy btw) and leave someone on the ground. The hatch is not free at all. You have to complete gens to even unlock the option of a hatch, and I've had many games end with 3 gens still not done. You have to be the last person alive for the hatch to spawn with 3 gens, and then the killer and survivor both have an equal chance of reaching hatch first (except not really because killers are faster)
The issue then becomes that instead of continuing to LOOK for the survivor, some killers get lazy and just wait there and then complain about hatch standoffs (which is a situation they created in the first place).
Solution: Find hatch, then look for the survivor if they are not there. I do this all the time and often find the survivor before they can locate the hatch. And if they DO reach the hatch, oh well. 1 person survived. Get over it and go to your next match knowing you killed the other 3.
That isn't how the game calculates victory. The only time the game calculates a draw is when someone receives the black pip. If someone gets out the hatch and go on to pip then they are by the games actual metrics victorious.
@ReikoMori Thanks champ... But as far as I'm concerned the gens didn't get done. If the gens are done and you escape out the hatch, thats different.. but IMO... you don't finish gens and get hatch, you being extended an olive branch for a draw.
People can call it whatever you want, but that is how I look at it.
That is also why I don't bother with hatch standoffs for either side. Stay or leave don't matter to me.
Here are my response to some of the replies...
Did you even read through the post? I did NOT say that killers deserve a 4k if the other 3 are dead, how would you think if you applied the reverse analogy with a free kill with no effort, also no... the survivor won, they escaped, that is the survivor's objective of the game. Now I do not know what your idea of a win is exactly, but if we were to go by the original intent by the devs, then the survivor won, the killer has not lost, but the survivor still won, also I did take into consideration of the EGC, and the problem will still apply if you were not lucky, or did not know where the hatch is. The EGC is better than it is now, but we need something more drastic.
First of all, I did not slug, at least not intentionally.
Second, the hatch IS free, the gens could be done by the other three that tried, but the last procrastinating one escapes for nothing, also it is not hard to find the hatch, just run around the map and hear a loud noise, and it would be even MORE true next patch because the hatch spawns when the last person is alive, no generators needs to be done.
Thirdly, I did not hatch standoff, the survivor escaped before I got to it.
And finally, are you saying that if you are the last survivor you deserve to win, no matter what? The game has four survivor each match but only three matters? What is the point for the last survivor? Just to guaranteed a win?
Well, like I said, if RNGesus is not on your side, the survivor wins by default. Now sure, It will be not as bad next patch because if you find the hatch the survivor has to put in effort to escape through the gates. It is a possible victory, but not guaranteed. Also, I am confused by the invisible killer talk. Next patch the survivor has no reason to stand by the hatch and not go in it, it would be their own fault for losing at that point.
If you want me to clarify some things or have question, ask me and I will.