Taunting: Is it Toxic?
Now, this has nothing to do with players complaining about balance or anything like that; it has to do more with players personally. I notice that a lot of killers complain heavily about tea-bagging/taunting survivors being toxic, and the like, and in turn choose to make the game unplayable for any one survivor, typically via hook camping. I recently saw a post where players (mostly killers) discussed what kind of things they do when they get petty.
You can view the discussion thread here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/48987/confession-time-describe-your-maximum-pettiness/p1
Of the comments posted, one read as such:
@Boss said:
Geez. Uhmm...
Nodding, i guess?
Like, i never even considered it to be a bad thing, but then Crusader said it wasn't friendly.
So yeah, nodding i guess.
Other times i get complaints, it's just them being salty. (That's if i have my chat open.)
It was then replied to thus:
@yobuddd said:
Nodding?!?! My goodness you have GOT to be the most toxic player I’ve ever met! Petty doesn’t even BEGIN to describe this one!
Nodding. Sheesh. Some people..... how do you live with yourself?
(Jk
)
Now, I thought about this, and decided to compare it to survivors who taunt. It seems that it has been agreed by the majority of killers of the community that if a survivor taunts, they're definitely toxic and they deserve to be punished (typically via getting face camped). "How dare that person push a button repeatedly?" And so I wondered what the deal was. What makes the taunting done by a survivor toxic as opposed to a killer's taunting? And as you can imagine, I came to the conclusion that perhaps some people are a bit too soft for competitive gaming. I don't mean to generalize or target killers in this matter, but it just seems that they complain the most when it comes to the subject of taunting and toxicity. Let me know what you guys think about all of this.
Comments
Yikes!
Why delay the inevitable - just close this thread now....
Here you go dude i think this will help you more than any comment to your bait thread.
You know Survivor or Killer there's no Hivemind? the amount of generalization on these forums is outstanding.
Taunting on both sides is considered toxic.
Both sides have "crybabies", nothing new there, I want or I dont like is I want or I dont like no matter what side you play.
@MandyTalk @Peanits I dont think this thread will ever be a very civil discussion.
I'm famous!
@Lonefox64 said:
lol
Both sides are full of #########. Healthier to blame individuals then to fall victim to the hive-mind mentality that plagues both roles.
In B4 closed
yes it is
Maybe change the title to something that doesn't give the impression that you are an ass. I read the title and thought "Another whiny thread" until I read your post and noticed that the way you are talking about it, and what you titled it, are on different ends of the spectrum. I'd suggest changing the title to something that sounds like the rest of what you wrote so people don't get the wrong impression.
You got a point. Consider it revised.
@Saint_Ukraine it depends how sensitive the other player is. I will point as a survivor or as killer nod to survivor sometimes to trigger the other player. Simple reason is to upset them so they lose focus and don't play as well. I don't stand at the exit gates and wait for the killer to show to teabag.
Well said 🤧
Piggy with Leg Braces my guy.
Way i look at taunting is like the part in the middle of a horror movie where the main guy distracts the killer by insulting him continuously and then he ends up dying or something. That's how i cope with it.
Why does toriel have a BAR xD
taunting is toxic, what kind of stupid question is that? Go to any person in real life and taunt them, tell me how many teeth you have left afterwards.
Yes.
Weak ppl always do that on the internet.
no. taunting is taunting. i played lots of games where taunting was an emote in the game and it either makes you want to get better or it breaks ur spirit. mission accomplished.
being toxic is a whole other level w/ calling for ######### or cancer or death to their family, etc. if someone is taunting in game, ok call bad manners, but toxic is a lot worse than this little thing.
I do not see in game taunting as toxic. They are trying to distract or annoy. which neither effect me. The only way these actions are toxic is if you find them toxic.
..
Finally, someone with a different opinion.
It's nothing personal
I do it anyways. Stupid? Yes. Do I die most of the time? You bet. But I look like a god when it works.
thats the risk you take for the most remembered games. go out in styleeeeee! at the exit gate or on a hook. just have fun getting there.
Lol wow! Looks like we made the news!
As a side note to anyone concerned by our exchange in the OP’s, ummm, OP, let me put your mind at ease. The thread referenced was a “let’s have a laugh” type thread. We weren’t complaining. We weren’t bashing (or even excluding) survivors. We were simply sharing stories.
If we want to discuss the merits of taunts from one side or another, that’s fine. But I want to make sure we don’t blur the line between complaining and reminiscing.