Don't Remove the Tome Archives, Update Them
The tomes are both a time capsule of DBD's history and a hidden trove of BP, charms, badges and banners for new players to discover. Discarding years of content feels like such a waste.
I understand that certain challenges have become dated in modern DBD and some might even be outright impossible as killer powers and perks have changed over the years. I would like to see these challenges revised instead of being outright deleted, and I don't think I'm alone in this.
If the system absolutely MUST be discarded, I hope a new one is being developed to take its place. Some kind of 'Observer's Compendium' with age-proof quests one can complete to earn rewards that were previously found in the discarded Tomes.
I think the most important thing is that these evergreen rewards remain available for anyone to collect. This would show a willingness to preserve the game's history and be a step against the FOMO aspects of the game.
Comments
I love the Tome Archives as well and would hate to see them go. I've done all the challenges already but I remember how satisfying it was to cross them all off.
However, I can imagine the resources that BHVR spends making sure they all work from patch to patch, which is why I assume they want to get rid of them.
I think a good compromise would be to just lock all past Tomes from being progressed when a new ones comes out. That was completionists can still see their progress but BHVR doesn't have to maintain them. Also add new challenges for the new Tomes that are actually hard because the quest system is awful. These new challenges could also be locked when a new Tome comes out for the same reasons.
In case a BHVR dev reads this, Tome challenges were a million times more fun and engaging than the new quest system. Tracking your progress and finishing Tomes one by one was super satisfying and a great way to keep me playing the game. The new quests I just ignore.
Good riddance.
I have zero love for that outdated and archaic system.
Please no, I don't want to see my teammates doing the slap the killers ass and then die in a corner challenge again.
Agreed. Tome Archives should stay
My Tome Idea: Retroactive Quest Chapters and Future Tomes Strategy for Veteran Players
As a player who has only been playing for a bit more than a year, I am lucky because I still have many of old Tomes and quests left to complete. Please don't delete them.
However, I feel really bad for the long-time veterans of this community when looking at the most recent Tomes.
Lately, the newest Tomes focus almost entirely on lore text and images, offering barely any new, active gameplay quests. While the lore is nice, veterans who have maxed out all previous Tomes are left with nothing to do. They are missing out on the fun of changing their playstyle for a challenge, and they have fewer ways to earn Bloodpoints.
To fix this and keep the game engaging, BHVR could easily implement a two-step solution:
Menu Integration and Future Guarantees
- Squeeze Chapters between Lore Sections: For the already existing new Tomes who only contain lore and images, bhvr could retroactively add a dedicated quest chapter right after a specific lore story is finished. They can literally squeeze the new challenge chapters right between the existing lore sections in the menu interface.
- A Guarantee for Future Tomes: For all upcoming Tomes, it would be great, when we return to the classic model of providing full, regular Chapters 1 to 4 packed with gameplay quests or Lore with Quest in mix. Pure text/image Tomes should never completely replace active gameplay. A mix would be better.
- Instead of deleting the outdated tome quests: adjusting/ change these (There are only a few of them; most are still doable)
- Keep Veterans Engaged: This gives experienced players a reason to revisit old content, log in every day, and try out different build combinations, keeping the matchmaking healthy.
For the future this would easily restore the grinding joy for everyone!
+1 Please don't remove this unique challenge system, it means there's always something to try out and give a bit of a side quest to a match. The rewards don't need to be charms or banners, they are just a bonus. I am sure it brings variety to the game in a subtle way. And glyphs are unique.
As a new player and a completionist, Tome Challenges give me motivation and keep me excited. I will be very sad to see them leave. I hope BHVR can find a way to either update them or replace them with new ones…
+1 please, please don't remove them. I have all the characters unlocked, all the perks unlocked and the new "quests" are so forgettable, that they are only some random extra bp that show up automatically.
I am a completionist and I really want to 100% the tomes at some point, it feels so nice to cross them off one by one.
Playing for something else than just winning with the strongest perks is always appreciated. If some challenges cause difficulties, change them. I get that a plant taking up spawn locations can mess with map generation, and perk changes probably need a revisiting of the old challenges.
But please, it's worth the effort. For new players it's a nice glimpse into the past and extra bp. For veteran players it's a help against bore-out.
I have literally never commented on anything in these forums but I REALLY REALLY don’t want them to get rid of the tome challenges. I’ve been slowly working towards doing them all for years and as a casual gamer it’s hard to make loads of progress at once. PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THEM! All of my hard work! It will be for naught!
I'm sad that this topic is sort of forgotten now because everyone's focused on the forum shutdown. I really don't want the Tomes to go away. I understand that the devs might not want to have to fix the broken challenges, but really they could just keep the Tomes up in an "as is, use at your own risk" kind of thing where it's like an archive or legacy feature.
I need my completed challenges to remain, and I need my unfinished ones to remain attemptable. I just don't want the Tomes to go away. 😢
I completed all the tomes on PlayStation and now going through them again on Steam. It's not for the charms, it's not for the bloodpoints, it's just because they are fun to do. The only problem with them is that SOME of the challenges would lead to team mates focussing on their challenge rather than the objective. I'd rather we abandon the new very boring system of repetitive and predictable challenges and go back to the old system, but taking care to pick challenges that don't punish your team-mates.
Encourage me to play killers I don't normally play again, encourage me to bring loadouts that I don't normally use.
I can only hope (given that the closure of the Tome challenges in January is unfortunately a done deal) that there will be changes to the Bloodweb instead:
for example, more Bloody Party Streamers, Survivor Puddings, and Escape Cakes in the Bloodweb; they are far too rare.