Is it Cringe to go back to the hook?

If a survivor goes for the unhook (not immediately but) unhooks before you've found another chase is it cheesy to go straight back?

Ill target the unhooker generally as I prefer not to tunnel unless absolutely necessary which is my personal choice of course.

I know this might sound like another rule in the survivor rulebook but does anyone else go back if they haven't found a new chase yet?

Comments

  • If it's the only information you've got, there's nothing wrong with going back to the hook as long as you're going to chase the unhooker.

    If you chase the unhooked survivor, that's a different matter entirely, but going back to capitalise on the only information you have is completely legitimate otherwise.

  • What do you want us to say?

  • As @jesterkind said most people will not see a problem if you chase the unhooker. People would have a problem if you tunnel the unhooked but in the end you play how you want.

  • It's an asym. Killers win condition is eliminating all the survivors. Do it however you want.

  • If you have no other info and nothing happening, why not? You know there are at least two people there. It's what you do when you get there that the debates begin.

  • I do think its cringe if the killer is in chase and they break their necks at unhook notification tryna go back to hook, especially if its 4-5 gens.

    I find that happening to commonly just because people want the tunnel, will even be left when I'm about to be downed sometimes because unhook notification has played. "PING go back to hook"

    That situation is more common then people going back to hook because of no info imo, even in my soloq matches people will be waiting to unhook until killer takes chase and they still come back.

  • @random1543 said:

    I do think its cringe if the killer is in chase and they break their necks at unhook notification tryna go back to hook, especially if its 4-5 gens.

    I find that happening to commonly just because people want the tunnel, will even be left when I'm about to be downed sometimes because unhook notification has played. "PING go back to hook"

    That situation is more common then people going back to hook because of no info imo, even in my soloq matches people will be waiting to unhook until killer takes chase and they still come back.

    I think it really depends on the situation with this, like if someone on a bad gen has run into a dead or unfavourable part of the map for (insert killer here) or are a much stronger looper than the rest of their team, and the hook is close enough by, you can really gain a LOT more map pressure by dropping chase and going after the notification. On the other hand…I've seen killers straight up throw games by world touring back to the hook just because hee hoo unhook noise, so its a pretty mixed bag. Especially people who give up all their map pressure to try and tunnel the DS/Dead Hard user, which is both bizarre and funny to me. Luckily, the upcoming addition of elusive after unhooks is going to be super helpful in at least soft countering the neck snappers!

  • Do you go for the logical target or look for the needle in the haystack?

    The only cringe is survivors insulting you for going for the logical target.

  • This content has been removed.
  • @RedCentipede said:

    If a survivor goes for the unhook (not immediately but) unhooks before you've found another chase is it cheesy to go straight back?

    Ill target the unhooker generally as I prefer not to tunnel unless absolutely necessary which is my personal choice of course.

    I know this might sound like another rule in the survivor rulebook but does anyone else go back if they haven't found a new chase yet?

    this is another problem with MMR people dont want to take chase so they hide. You cant blame the killer for coming back to hook when he doesnt find anyone. Sure the killer can remove a slow down for aura reading perk but cant blame the killer for it.

  • I always go back. I'll drop chase to go back. I'll have other data and go back. I seldom chase the person unhooked, I'm more focused on the unhooker. The reasoning being is that I now know where at least two people are, and primarily I want survivors to develop the understanding that if they unhook I will come for them immediately.

    I want them to think twice about moving to unhook, I want them to hesitate and waste time off of gens when they need to unhook. Whatever generates no-gen times is good for me. Granted, I only really developed this habit due to the absolute dearth of survivors who will unhook within 5 seconds of me hooking someone. Survivors seem addicted to that lately, and it's annoyingly disrespectful to do that then cry about me 'tunneling' them (when I went for the unhooker not the hooked).

    It's all just psy-ops and nonsense at the end of the day.

    If I can't find the unhooker I'll throw a hatchet into the unhooked to break their endurance and deep wound them, that almost always makes another survivor pop out thinking I'm about to tunnel. Even faking a tunnel is likely to draw one out, and now I have a surv who is in deep wound and panicking, and a new target to boot. It's a win/win.

  • What do you mean "is it cringe?". Just play the game and stop worrying about made up things

  • @RedCentipede said:

    If a survivor goes for the unhook (not immediately but) unhooks before you've found another chase is it cheesy to go straight back?

    Ill target the unhooker generally as I prefer not to tunnel unless absolutely necessary which is my personal choice of course.

    I know this might sound like another rule in the survivor rulebook but does anyone else go back if they haven't found a new chase yet?

    No its not its just putting pressure on the survivors

  • Is it cringe? Not really. Whether it's the right play is up to game state is a different story though.

  • There's nothing cringe at doing anything in this game, as survivor you can gen rush and as killer you can tunnel at any time, it's killers objective to kill and survivors objective to survive using any means necessary and any rules are just made up, some stuff might be unfair/annoying but it's not a reason to blame the person.

  • @Memesis said:

    It's an asym. Killers win condition is eliminating all the survivors. Do it however you want.

    ^^this. Don’t worry about the comments or downvotes from people who don’t play killer and play however you want to play within the rules of the game. If the survivor team if going to do a risky unhook while you are still close and haven’t started a new chase yet, that’s their decision. My preferred approach in this situation is to try to down the unhooker unless the unhooked person uses their free endurance offensively to prevent me from hitting the unhooker. In that case they’ve willingly made themselves a tunnel target.

  • If I'm in the area to punish it, yeah I will, otherwise if I've already got pressure going elsewhere, why let up? I use Friends til the end and Furitive though to enable that kind of playstyle however.

    My favourite recently was I had a game with really good pressure and a Nea runs at me with DS, to save her friend, which fair enough (I thought it'd had ran out by the time I grabbed her coz I slugged her for a while), then in endgame when she unhooked in my face and they all died for it she called me a tunneler lmao probably was a bit however, can't be that self unaware.

    Anyways, with the new elusive, I'd say keep doing it, if it's too much of an issue BHVR would have changed it by now.

  • You decide what you consider honest play within the rules of the game, ask 100 people you'll get 100 answers

  • Is it incredibly obnoxious and "cringe" as a survivor? Yes

    Does it make sense to do as killer if you haven't found anyone? Also yes

    DBD is a game with a lot of "oh boy is what the other side doing not fun but also I kinda get it".

  • If you're not chasing anyone, nor can you find anyone, it's the best strategy.

    If you're in mid chase, and you immediately drop and come back, I will judge you.

    But it's fair game nonetheless.

  • If you have no other info. It's kind of the obvious play really. You have 2 guarenteed survivors versus wandering around hoping to find 2 more.

    If you're in chase? Still tactically expedient in some situations, if you've just injured the person you're chasing and they've speed boosted to a good tile, it can be a good shout to rotate back to hook, stop the heal on the unhooked player and if you injure the healer and commit to a chase with them you have excellent pressure without tunneling. 3 injured survivors is good pressure.

    The only time I have a major issue is when killers rotate back to hook for the hard tunnel, and simply ignore everyone else in favour of the unhooked player.

  • @RedCentipede said:

    If a survivor goes for the unhook (not immediately but) unhooks before you've found another chase is it cheesy to go straight back?

    Ill target the unhooker generally as I prefer not to tunnel unless absolutely necessary which is my personal choice of course.

    I know this might sound like another rule in the survivor rulebook but does anyone else go back if they haven't found a new chase yet?

    For some people probably - I would just tell you to do it. It doesn't make sense to keep yourself from playing in certain ways, you will just restrict your options of playing and that's all, most people won't thank you for that xD

  • I'll say you arent playing Nemesis right if you do not go back to hook, its honored tradition at this point.

    But seriously speaking here, if you cannot find other people to chase probably best to see if you can find one of the two people you at least have an idea of where they are located.

  • Usually your options are dictated by your perks as well - if you want to get all your scourge hook value, you need to find certain people. And even though there are 2 people in a guaranteed location, the other two can be cranking the gens (hopefully, for solo queue's sake). So it depends whether you want to try to get info on everyone and check on gens, or go back to the hook. Personally I avoid going back to the hook because it's often not necessary and I'm not learning much about what is going on with the other survivors. Then again I'm still learning killer and winning for me is having some good/fun chases and interactions, and hooking everyone at least once.