Upcoming killer MMR system changes
So what do we think and expect?
I personally think the killer mmr should be based on how long your avg chase lasts and avg time to hook a survivor
They confirmed the kills wont be accounted anymore as the only or main thing in the game which is a big plus.
I personally think they are adding the changes or some of them in the game that i suggested a year or two ago
Comments
I kind of expect that no MMR changes will ever happen, or if they do they'll be relatively minor.
I don't think chase timers would work. You have stealth killers who can get quick tags without being in chase, but our otherwise overall very weak, you have killers like Huntress that can hit or miss hatchets without ever being in chase to begin with.
You also have issues like survivors who stay just out of chase and it doesn't actually get tracked.
If anything, I suspect we'll just get a more gradient system. A killer who gets a 3e with 8 hooks will lose less MMR than a 3e with 5 hooks. If so I think they'd do the same for survivors, a 4k with 4 gens done would be a lower MMR loss than a 4k with 2 gens complete.
I would assume a few factors will play into it, but the primary ones will probably be hooks and chases.
I'm interested to see what they've come up with but to be honest, I think whatever they decide to go with is going to be a bit of a fudge. There will never be an accurate MMR system that works the way players expect it to.
There are too many variables to account for, whether that be down to the hundreds of perks and add-ons, 40+ Killer powers, map RNG or the asymmetrical nature of the game. That's not to mention the need to keep queue times low. It's just impossible to build a system that could take all of that into account and make an accurate match up. Assuming that kills / escapes will still be taken into account in the new system, there's also the differing ways that Survivors tend to lose. SoloQ can often lose trials they should have won because of poor understanding between teammates or a single bad decision at a crucial moment, while a SWF might lose more often to altruism turning a guaranteed 3 out into a 4K. What new system could possibly take all that into account?
I never know what MMR bracket I'm meant to be in because the abilities of my opponents or teammates vary so dramatically depending on when I'm playing the game. Killer games played in the middle of the day tend to be easier while games played in the evening can be total sweat fests (and vice versa for Survivor), all because the system prioritises wait times above all else.
That said, I think it will probably take more weighting from the old ranking / grading system. So Survivors that are more active in trials will tend to be rewarded with more active teammates in future trials. And Killers that don't have a high kill rate might nevertheless get tougher matches if they're still able to get a decent amount of hooks in a trial (not sure how much I'd personally like this, since it would probably make my games harder). I think they might also make it so that MMR decays over time after a break.
Those are my best guesses, anyway. Assuming the new system survives contact with the live servers and content creators, whatever system they go with won't feel all that different in practice to what we currently have now.
I don't know what to expect, but I am DAMN glad that Kills are no longer going to be the deciding factor. I've been a Killer main for most of the time I've played this game, and after getting my first P100 with The Lich, it is EXHAUSTING constantly ping-ponging between baby survivors and Super Sweaty Tryhards because I now prefer to play more casually.
Ideally the new MMR system, at least for Killers, would consider a combination of Kills, Chases, Generators Completed, and the relative time between each.
I expect the system to be buggy and undercooked just like everything they do. It'll probably be even worse since it's a hidden system. We only get to experience the matches we get put in, we don't get to see our MMR score.
Hopefully nothing major. You can get out into the weeds with all sorts of scenarios or conditions, but relative skill is going to correlate to kills and escapes vs common opponents at the end of the day. If you stop counting the win condition as skillful, you suddenly start rating a 2k as a better performance than a 4k, a death as a better performance than an escape, etc. That creates a mess.
They have to be careful. Chases can be quickly ended by LoS breakers and stealth perks, and stealth killers operate differently. Chase in time form isn't a good indicator of things when there's so many moving parts. Hooks would be concerning too. Imagine you get a lot of hooks but not a lot of wins and your games still get harder. On the flipside, killers who 4man slug might not increase if it's hook based.
It's hard to judge skill in anything that can generate a number without any indication of what actually happened in the match.
dont get your hope's up. Its gonna take at least a couple months before this mmr update will be passable because the track record for updates has been……… mediocre at best.
I think match making based on more than just kill/escape is a good thing, hopefully be closer to the old rank requirements. I think as long as there's still lobby dodging and prioritizing time over proper match making it won't be long before it's mix/match lobbies that throws new/low skill players in with veterans/high skill players.
Chase timer doesn't sound like the best idea. One hit killers would get skyrocketed up the mmr tower pretty rapidly. Ghosty, billy, bubba, anyone running exposed builds.
Tbh i think any mmr system that could genuinely make for balanced matches would have to be super nuanced and would probably ramp queue times too much. If it were even possible which I'm not sure it is tbh. Too many factors and metrics involved in dbd game play for it to be viable.
I don't think much will change. If your good your still gonna be put against strong opponents regardless of how mmr dictates it.
There will still be a barrier that separates brand new players from everyone else. A system with a new tracking thats not just kills/escapes.
i know this is about killer mmr but I hope it changes on the surv side so I no longer get people with less than 100 hours who have no idea how to face half the roster, why am I…someone with almost 7k hours getting these people in my lobby? (i know why but it kinda just gets frustrating because the game is lost just as it started)
The criteria for escape and execution must not be changed. There is no player who escapes without chasing, repairing generators, unhooking, and healing teammates. There is no player who executes without getting downs in chases, managing generators, and controlling the map. And that, in itself, is a declaration of the will to fight. Unfortunately, players without that will do not exist in my matches. Just because those around you have stopped playing, and there is no one close to your skill level, doesn’t mean the MMR system is to blame. You cannot bring non-existent people from your delusions into a match. The players you are looking for simply do not exist. Unless the system has intentionally shifted from matchmaking five players of similar skill to matchmaking into matches that could yield favorable outcomes for the five participants. Someone starting this game at the exact same convenient time as you would be nothing short of a miracle. That’s even more true for new players. This is strictly my own perception—that leaving a match feeling 'that was fun' whether playing as Killer or Survivor is a rare occurrence, and in most cases, the feeling is just 'Yes!'.