Start using Self-Preservation

Fellow survivor players I urge you to start using this extremely slept on and powerful perk if you haven't already. For those who do not know Self-Preservation does the following:

Whenever another Survivor is hooked, you gain Elusive for 30s

This genuinely counters so many things as it quite literally gives you the strongest effect in the game. Elusive which is an effect that hides your Aura, Scratch Marks, Pools of Blood, and Grunts of Pain. This is genuinely such a game breaking perk I'm surprised I rarely see it. Here are some reasons why its so strong and why you should use it:

  • Completely counters BBQ which is one of the most used killer perks in the game that so many killers rely on.
  • Anti-Snowball when you have multiple survivors downed and the killer starts to hook them you can pick up survivors reliably with significantly less resistance from the killer, as it will be impossible to find you.
  • One of the best perks for prerunning if a killer repeatedly comes back to your gen after finishing chase and hooking another survivor you can prerun surprisingly later than you would need to later since they will not be able to trace you.
  • Sometimes the killer will hook someone right next to you and start chasing and what happens? You guessed it the killer will lose you relatively fast depending on your patient causing you to not get caught again.
  • Great for hatch searching once your teammates inevitably die.

I've been testing this perk a ton as of late and have started escaping my solo queue matches significantly more than I used to. Genuinely amazing perk for all levels of play 10/10 would recommend, and the best part is that it is a free perk!

I used to love this perk before the changes but its even better now. Let me know what you think!

Tagged: PerksSurvivors

Comments

  • I agree it's a really good perk and is more meta than it's usage rate reflects, idk where you're getting that it's free though? It's a Yun-jin Perk.

  • @Xendritch said:

    I agree it's a really good perk and is more meta than it's usage rate reflects, idk where you're getting that it's free though? It's a Yun-jin Perk.

    Iri shards are free, just because you still have to unlock her doesn't eliminate the fact that anyone can unlock her by playing the game rather than spending irl currency.

  • @pidgeon said:

    Fellow survivor players I urge you to start using this extremely slept on and powerful perk if you haven't already. For those who do not know Self-Preservation does the following:

    Whenever another Survivor is hooked, you gain Elusive for 30s

    This genuinely counters so many things as it quite literally gives you the strongest effect in the game. Elusive which is an effect that hides your Aura, Scratch Marks, Pools of Blood, and Grunts of Pain. This is genuinely such a game breaking perk I'm surprised I rarely see it. Here are some reasons why its so strong and why you should use it:

    • Completely counters BBQ which is one of the most used killer perks in the game that so many killers rely on.
    • Anti-Snowball when you have multiple survivors downed and the killer starts to hook them you can pick up survivors reliably with significantly less resistance from the killer, as it will be impossible to find you.
    • One of the best perks for prerunning if a killer repeatedly comes back to your gen after finishing chase and hooking another survivor you can prerun surprisingly later than you would need to later since they will not be able to trace you.
    • Sometimes the killer will hook someone right next to you and start chasing and what happens? You guessed it the killer will lose you relatively fast depending on your patient causing you to not get caught again.
    • Great for hatch searching once your teammates inevitably die.

    I've been testing this perk a ton as of late and have started escaping my solo queue matches significantly more than I used to. Genuinely amazing perk for all levels of play 10/10 would recommend, and the best part is that it is a free perk!

    I used to love this perk before the changes but its even better now. Let me know what you think!

    Screenshot 2026-06-22 192711.png
  • As much as I see this perk going strong, it's a double-edged sword, if you get me.

    You do need AT LEAST three survivors to run it, otherwise those running it are quite literally putting those without Self-Preservation on the spot.. And that's really bad, especially if you are an experienced player and offer the killer the newbies who don't run the perk, y'know?

    It's the same issue as is with Jason; The moment three survivors start crouching while the other one doesn't bother hiding, the killer has a clear path and it goes without saying who's gonna be his next target. And by using Self-Preservation yourself, this does repeat the same issue like process, letting your team to a straight downfall.. While you are there to observe it.

  • @Neprašheart said:

    As much as I see this perk going strong, it's a double-edged sword, if you get me.

    You do need AT LEAST three survivors to run it, otherwise those running it are quite literally putting those without Self-Preservation on the spot.. And that's really bad, especially if you are an experienced player and offer the killer the newbies who don't run the perk, y'know?

    It's the same issue as is with Jason; The moment three survivors start crouching while the other one doesn't bother hiding, the killer has a clear path and it goes without saying who's gonna be his next target. And by using Self-Preservation yourself, this does repeat the same issue like process, letting your team to a straight downfall.. While you are there to observe it.

    I suppose so, I never thought of it that way.

  • As the person above said, it has its goods and bads. If used right, it's great for doing behind the scenes movements and getting safe unhooks. Using it wrong, or against a killer that hard crutches on post-hook aura, gets your team killed faster. I've also had people running it against me that seem to think it makes them invisible, but as it turns out, I have eyes.

  • @Neprašheart said:

    As much as I see this perk going strong, it's a double-edged sword, if you get me.

    You do need AT LEAST three survivors to run it, otherwise those running it are quite literally putting those without Self-Preservation on the spot.. And that's really bad, especially if you are an experienced player and offer the killer the newbies who don't run the perk, y'know?

    It's the same issue as is with Jason; The moment three survivors start crouching while the other one doesn't bother hiding, the killer has a clear path and it goes without saying who's gonna be his next target. And by using Self-Preservation yourself, this does repeat the same issue like process, letting your team to a straight downfall.. While you are there to observe it.

    "otherwise those running it are quite literally putting those without Self-Preservation on the spot"

    As someone who doesn't use BBQ or FTTE, I barely even notice when someone has it. I can see the issue if the killer runs aura perks but for everyone else it's probably just a wasted perk slot. Everyone is fair game when you're used to looking the old fashioned way.

  • @Nazzzak said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4091625#Comment_4091625

    "otherwise those running it are quite literally putting those without Self-Preservation on the spot"

    As someone who doesn't use BBQ or FTTE, I barely even notice when someone has it. I can see the issue if the killer runs aura perks but for everyone else it's probably just a wasted perk slot. Everyone is fair game when you're used to looking the old fashioned way.

    Yeah nobody uses crows anymore its so sad