Re add flicks

BHVR RE Add flicks. Oni feels like ######### to play now. He wasn't even OP when he had them. It's already I have to earn first hit on the garbage maps that I keep getting and now I get clunky mess of a character after getting power.

Tagged: Killers

Comments

  • I completely agree. I really want them to bring the flicks back.

  • He is fine without them, he felt BS to go against before when he could do them easily.

    I love playing as him even now, the new bear with the cat skin is so cute.

  • @GAMELORD6422891 said:

    BHVR RE Add flicks. Oni feels like ######### to play now. He wasn't even OP when he had them. It's already I have to earn first hit on the garbage maps that I keep getting and now I get clunky mess of a character after getting power.

    He can still do 360s, but he has a horrible turn rate now

  • @CompetitifDBD this is true and dont even get me started on the pallet changes.

  • honestly the article that actually goes into it more in depth and the author, Meydix, does a really good job at getting to the point is this one.

    Honestly I wish the changes would just be reverted and they just try to adjust the controller crap but I am also a fan of Meydix's Solution.

    @Meydix said:

    In this post, I want to talk about why Oni’s new flicks on the PTB 9.1.0 are worse than in the current live version of the game. A small introduction…

    I started playing DBD in September 2016, and to this day I’ve played over 12,000 hours. Five years ago, one of the best chapters in DBD’s history was released - "Cursed Legacy", and my favorite character - Oni.

    From the moment of his release and up to today, I’ve played over 6,000 hours on him, and I’ve fully mastered this killer’s power. I’m saying this because I understand what this character is capable of and what he’s supposed to be. Now, to the point...

    For five years, Oni was able to instantly turn 180 degrees by directing his long strike backwards.
    To do this, you had to use dpi, which technically was a bug - but that doesn't change the essence.
    Over time, many survivors got used to Oni having this capability.

    In patch 8.6.0, the developers removed the ability to use dpi and added 180 flicks to his base power.
    However, those flicks were extremely slow and much weaker than what the community had used for five years - which is why many players didn’t like the change.
    Especially those who spent a lot of time mastering him.

    In patch 8.7.0, BHVR partially brought back the old one-frame flicks, like before.
    But the issue was that these flicks became extremely uncomfortable to use due to the overly high sensitivity.
    You could slightly move your mouse - and the character would instantly spin 180 degrees.
    As a result, most players found Oni very hard to control.

    All the developers needed to do was slightly lower the turning sensitivity, so the flicks would feel smoother and more manageable. But then PTB 9.1.0 came out...

    BHVR finally implemented proper flick sensitivity for Oni - but at the same time made them significantly worse.
    Now I’ll try to explain why...

    As I said earlier, since patch 8.7.0, Oni can instantly turn 180 degrees by quickly moving the mouse and directing his massive strike backwards.
    Since this flick happens instantly, the player can turn even when close to a wall or in tight spaces.

    So, what’s different about the flicks on PTB 9.1.0?

    Instead of turning instantly in one frame, Oni now rotates in an arc around himself.
    He winds up and swings behind him, doing a smooth turn.
    The biggest difference is that this turn now requires open space.
    That means if you’re close to a wall or any object, you won’t be able to flick 180 — and your hit will just go into the wall.

    This greatly interferes with many situations where you previously could land a hit.
    And because of that, this change is 100% a serious nerf.

    On top of that, if you’ve spent thousands of hours playing Oni - this change completely devalues the time you’ve invested.
    Everything you learned with this killer no longer matters (at least when we’re talking about flicks and the possibilities they give).

    What can be done to keep Oni’s flicks just as effective and comfortable?

    The developers should keep the ability to instantly flick 180 in one frame if the player quickly moves their mouse - just like it’s worked since patch 8.7.0.
    However, if the player moves the mouse smoothly, Oni should turn smoothly too. Simply put, the flick sensitivity should be slightly reduced so the flicks feel more controlled and natural.

    If done this way, Oni will retain all his potential, and flicks will feel much more comfortable in all situations.
    If the player wants to turn 90 degrees, it will look smooth.
    If they want to snap 180 degrees quickly — they’ll still be able to.

    BHVR, just give this character a bit more attention, and he’ll be in a perfect state.
    Players like me, who’ve spent thousands of hours on Oni, will be truly thankful that you didn’t limit his capabilities and potential.

    If you agree with what I said - feel free to share your thoughts.
    Maybe this post will get noticed…

    I’d like to add one more thing...
    Throughout the entire lifespan of DbD, the game has had plenty of issues. And right now, it’s far from being in its best shape. On top of that, DbD has never truly aimed to be a competitive title where every character and every mechanic works flawlessly (except for that one time :DDDDDD). So why am I bringing this up?

    As of now, there are very few killers left in DbD whose abilities have real depth and contain a lot of hidden mechanics. Simply put, these are killers that take a lot of time and effort to truly master. But if a player fully masters someone like Wesker or Oni, they’ll have the opportunity to showcase their skill and everything they’ve learned. I personally find it incredibly rewarding to invest time in such characters and work toward real improvement.

    In almost any competitive game - like The Finals, DbD, Apex, and others - if you play one character long enough, you’ll eventually get good with them. And naturally, there will be moments where you outplay your opponent just because you’ve mastered your character and know exactly how they work. That’s completely normal.

    In our case, it’s exactly the same. The only difference is that for 5 years since Oni was added to DbD, 180 flicks only worked due to high DPI settings - which was essentially a bug. The problem was that console players couldn’t take advantage of this. But since patch 8.6.0, that bug is gone, and now players across all platforms are on equal footing. And I’m definitely glad about that.

    I wrote my post because I want Oni to keep the potential for skill expression - so that players who’ve been playing him for years can still use what they’ve learned.
    For example, going for stylish plays or doing one-frame 180 turns. Things like that make Oni a very fun and interesting killer - and honestly, there are barely any killers like him left in the game.

    I really hope that when this update goes live on July 29, the developers will make a final decision and keep the flicks as they are in the current version (9.0.0). All they really need to do is slightly reduce the sensitivity, so we don’t end up in situations where a player moves their mouse a few centimeters and Oni does a full 180.

    Thanks for reading…

  • @kagari I wish it too. The reason they were removed was bc surv mains who dont know how to keep him from getting power as much as possible were complaining so BHVR decided to remove them bc "Controller cant do it". Then they want to do slugging and tunneling reduction which puts far weaker killers at a complete disadvantage, leaving all the viability to S tier killers and then there is the pallet changes. Welp thanks BHVR, guess I'm a surv main.

  • BHVR if you are reading this (Which you probably aren't) PLEASE re add oni flicks. They are what made him fun and actually balanced given you had to earn power as M1 killer. honestly you should keep whats currently there for controller and keep tampering controller only.

  • Oni deserves overall buff. I'd start with increasing base BF duration, movespeed, turn rate etc. Also she should be able to get the power quicker and passively way faster.

  • @Elan Honestly I agree, but I think they should only do turn rate stuff on controller and then re add flicks on kbam and then buff the passive charge to be like wakazashi (100% passive charge) and maedate (50% passive charge) combined and remove power cap. I roughly timed it and oni without hit takes like 7 minutes to just hit the cap. This would make it roughly 3 minutes to get power without hit, which would be really helpful, especially on garbage maps bc playing on most maps as m1 killer and just getting first hit against competent players, let alone on gideon and hawkins, is one of the most miserable experiences anyone could ever suffer. Another thing I'd like to add is that it would change his gameplay too much as and against him bc you can play against him in power, you just have to run with a plan and play smart which is part of the counterplay, the other counterplay is just keeping him from getting power as much as possible. Imo, oni should be a killer who has complete control over his power but his flaw is that he doesn't have it all the time unlike billy and blight who have power all the time but their control over it is restricted. I'm glad someone else thinks this and I would be glad to talk about it some more. Honestly I wish BHVR played against as many sweaty squads on ######### maps as oni and then they would actually understand where we are coming from, but it is what it is. All we can do is hope BHVR listens, which they probably won't.

  • Honestly IMO the solution to slugging and tunneling is having a mode where the meta doesn't exist or is at least mitigated for casual players. On that mode is where BHVR should optimize fairness without impeding on the base game. I've tunneled and I've slugged but I've also been tunneled and slugged, I know the dread of being tunneled out and being told "GGEZ" and I've been there, but if they remove it, so many killers become so much weaker and are just completely unviable in higher levels, it's already hard enough to play with disgustingly good players but then to take away resources needed to even have a chance to play against them is absurd. Plus there is counterplay to these but you need actually smart players or a team to actually make it. Imo, if you do solo q, you should not expect to win and for obvious reasons. If you want to win, get some friends who are competent and learn how to play the game at least optimally enough to where you have a good chance of winning. That's when you start getting Ws

  • I think the real issue with the flick mechanic is the discrepancy it creates between pc and console gameplay. Put simply, console players CANNOT flick with a controller so having a flick mechanic automatically makes them worse with that killer. I was so disappointed when I purchased Oni a few years ago only to learn that I would never be as mechanically good as someone on PC.

  • @GAMELORD6422891 said:

    @kagari I wish it too. The reason they were removed was bc surv mains who dont know how to keep him from getting power as much as possible were complaining so BHVR decided to remove them bc "Controller cant do it". Then they want to do slugging and tunneling reduction which puts far weaker killers at a complete disadvantage, leaving all the viability to S tier killers and then there is the pallet changes. Welp thanks BHVR, guess I'm a surv main.

    I really don't understand how you can think that keeping something exclusively for PC, creating a power imbalance between PC and console is in anyway a good idea. Also by technicality you can still perform flicks, it's just not a single frame movement as it used to be, as that simply wouldn't work on console.

  • @angrychuck I don't understand why something that was left alone for years and people learned how to use it and developed skill and all of a sudden its removed. There is always going to be a discrepancy between console and kbam so. Maybe thats just my opinion.

  • @KeefCheif So that means bc controller cant do it or do it as well it should be removed? Something that took people years to master and its just gone like that?

  • @angrychuck said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4013561#Comment_4013561

    I really don't understand how you can think that keeping something exclusively for PC, creating a power imbalance between PC and console is in anyway a good idea. Also by technicality you can still perform flicks, it's just not a single frame movement as it used to be, as that simply wouldn't work on console.

    not really only for PC because i heard they are adding keyboard and mouse support for consoles

  • @random1543 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4014739#Comment_4014739

    not really only for PC because i heard they are adding keyboard and mouse support for consoles

    They will be but we obviously don't have any date for that

  • This content has been removed.
  • Flicks would make oni way too strong and require no skill to use.

  • @angrychuck said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4016942#Comment_4016942

    They will be but we obviously don't have any date for that

    I feel like unless they fix the wierd input lag on console (even on an OLED Monitor I have tested it), K+M won't feel good on console at all. It's really noticeable on skill checks when you test both PC and then PS5

  • Chucky's, Krasue's, Oni's and Blight's flicks should come back, they were fun, increased skill-ceiling and made killers less clunky.

  • @Rokku_Rorru said:

    He is fine without them, he felt BS to go against before when he could do them easily.

    I love playing as him even now, the new bear with the cat skin is so cute.

    Funny is I would say it's so much easier to hit around corners now than before…

    It's easier but worse, because it's slower and you need at least some space around you for it.
    But It's definetly not something I would respect anymore.

  • @Xord said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4013561#Comment_4013561

    Removing slugging/tunneling is a huge buff to the low tier killers in the long term.

    Those killers CAN NOT get any buffed because they have this option right now. They will only be able to be finally buffed after those strategies are removed.

    You won't be able to buff all killers to level where they can 8 hook reliably. Most killers simply can't match top tier killers, because they lack mobility.

    Clown was on level, where he was close to it (yet still worse) and he was miserable to play against.
    It's simply impossible to buff majority of killers to level where they can play without tunneling/slugging against remotely competent team.

    Also in end game you just have to slug as any killer, if you still want to win…

  • This content has been removed.
  • @PetTheDoggo said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4013285#Comment_4013285

    Funny is I would say it's so much easier to hit around corners now than before…

    It's easier but worse, because it's slower and you need at least some space around you for it.
    But It's definetly not something I would respect anymore.

    I think it's fine it is easier, that's what I'm saying. Them making it easier to do on controller is what they were aiming to do in the first place.

    I think he is more accessible now.

  • @Xord said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4017295#Comment_4017295

    But just, why? Why wouldn't it be possible? Btw, not all killers have mobility. Nurse, while being an anomaly in the game, has terrible map mobility (yes she teleports but she walks very slowly and has huge cooldowns making a 4.6 killer walk around the map faster, even accounting for the teleport).

    Mobility helps a ton but old Billy had tons of mobility and wasn't exactly in a good spot. Wessker is a good exemple of a solid killer without mobility. Nemesis as well.

    It's difficult to make a killer S Tier without mobility but a solid B or A Tier? Absolutely, and it should be the goal.

    You can also overall buff the M1, as it's already be done in the past. Maybe buff pallet breaking or slightly reduce stun durations, window vaulting… etc…

    That being said I think killers with low mobility or bad chase options suffer from maps more than anything. Some maps have dozens of god pallets while some of the new maps are really small with maybe 5/6 good pallets total in the map…

    Issue is to match top tier killers, or improve weaker killers in general to compensate lack of map pressure you have to make them highly oppresive in 1v1 so they are able to end chases fast.

    That's exactly what we have seen with Clown, he was easily able to end any chase quickly and it was very annoying to play against. Yet he was still worse than Blight/Nurse.

  • @Rokku_Rorru said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4017294#Comment_4017294

    I think it's fine it is easier, that's what I'm saying. Them making it easier to do on controller is what they were aiming to do in the first place.

    I think he is more accessible now.

    that's what I'm saying

    No, you said "he felt BS to go against before when he could do them easily.".

    Why it was BS? Because he was able to hit around corners? Well, he can do it now and it's easier than ever before. I really wouldn't say it was easy before.

    Before it was something I could respect, because Oni had to put lot of hours into it to do it reliably. That's not really the case anymore.

  • @PetTheDoggo said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4017534#Comment_4017534

    that's what I'm saying

    No, you said "he felt BS to go against before when he could do them easily.".

    Why it was BS? Because he was able to hit around corners? Well, he can do it now and it's easier than ever before. I really wouldn't say it was easy before.

    Before it was something I could respect, because Oni had to put lot of hours into it to do it reliably. That's not really the case anymore.

    It read BS before on the survivor side, it did not look normal before the change. Now It looks fine like they actually moved there. Flicking so quick not even the server knew what happened on time is utter BS.

    Survivors can still out maneuver the current one you just have to respect where it can happen, there is time to react now.

    So no, don't take what I said out of context lol read what I say please after the fact and put 2 and 2 together, instead of cherry picking.

  • This content has been removed.
  • @Rokku_Rorru said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4018296#Comment_4018296

    It read BS before on the survivor side, it did not look normal before the change. Now It looks fine like they actually moved there. Flicking so quick not even the server knew what happened on time is utter BS.

    Survivors can still out maneuver the current one you just have to respect where it can happen, there is time to react now.

    So no, don't take what I said out of context lol read what I say please after the fact and put 2 and 2 together, instead of cherry picking.

    Oh, so it's just about visual… Not really balancing

    Survivors can still out maneuver the current one you just have to respect where it can happen, there is time to react now.

    Thing is so can Oni, I can adjust at any point. Before I had to decide where I want to end and just end there. If survivor did something I didn't expect, then it worked for them.

    So no, don't take what I said out of context lol read what I say please after the fact and put 2 and 2 together, instead of cherry picking.

    Do you even remember your comment?

    image.png

    What context? His current state, your preference, or skin is not relevant to that part…

  • @PetTheDoggo

    You make a lot of good points but before I come back to the conversation… Can I pet the Doggo?

  • @Rokku_Rorru

    You talk a lot about how it feels BS playing against Oni with flicks but you haven’t dealt with the BS playing as Oni. Oni should be able to in chase, the counter play was to keep him from having power as much as possible. Therefore why shouldn’t he be able to use “BS” powerful flicks. Do you know how MISERABLE it is to play against a sweaty 4 man as Oni on painful maps. So why remove what made him fun all bc “console can’t do it”. Once again he wasn’t “BS” before. In fact he feels a lot more bs now. Even in power this clunky mess always gets pallet vacuumed even when I SHOULD get the hit. My Kanabo went right through their body and it didn’t register as a hit. That is infinitely more “BS” than dealing with a flick. On top of it you could play around flicks, you just had to be smart and use loops well. While he is more accessible to Controller now, it came at the cost of him becoming more restricted on PC

  • @Colt45m
    you do know how much practice, technique, and timing went into them? He wasn’t overpowered nor would he be with them.

  • @kagari

    I haven’t given up hope yet and I don’t intend to. I think we just need to keep trying and talking about it and see where it gets us.