Tunneling has gotten out of control
I play DBD pretty much everyday and mostly as survivor. Not sure whats been going on lately but the past few weeks, whether its me or another survivor, the killers have just been tunneling non stop. Might just be getting unlucky and facing very sweaty killers, but its just taking the fun out of the game. Something needs to change or people will simply stop playing this game. I cant even see how tunneling is fun from the killers perspective.
Comments
Like they stepped in with slugging? By not preventing it but allowing killers to do it and giving survivors an option to admit defeat when all are slugged?
because it's bad to get 4k? Bhvr should put out a notice "killers are not allowed to get 4k, not allowed to want 4k, if you even think about 4k you will be banned" it really is true survivors don't like anything the killer does, tunnel, slug, camp, perks, add ons, offerings, literally everything that doesn't include mindlessly going in a circle playing to the survivors every whim.
If survivors had the game their way being killer would be so linear and 1 dimensional, no diversity. Chase around pallet 10 times, next pallet....another 10 times. When killer gets a hook they must run to the other side of the map and spin around 5 times "Don't you dare try to improve your chances of getting kills tho, you play this way or not at all"
What's wrong with wanting the 4k?????? Killers are allowed to want that, it's what the game encourages the killer to do. The killer is supposed to kill and you are NOT entitled to receive hatch, or be let go. You literally just proved my point. Survivors find a way to complain and whine about absolutely everything the killer does. It literally does not matter how the killer plays or what perks they bring. They could get 12 hooks in a game and a huge number of you people would still say "the killer tunneled me". It's time to face reality, you dont like losing and anything the killer does that actually beats you, you hate. Maybe, just maybe, the problem is not with what the killer does. Maybe the problem is this awful attitude you and other survivors have.
Dev team need to read this post I think, and then contextualize it within this user's post history.
Player who has a history of being doom-and-gloom that any change will be anti-killer, and for advocating for killer players to the point of being banned for [to public speculation] accidentally taking it too far with encouraging unintended gameplay, seen here citing the so-called "anti-slug part 1" as proof that the devs intend for slugging to stay as a mechanic. What does that mean for your design decisions?
It is intended gameplay, slugging is a legit tactic. Slug em, hook em. Survivors didn't like being forced to wait 4min, now they don't. Devs gave survivors what they asked for
I was talking about that time earlier this year when you got banned, very coincidentally just after you said your new strat was "don't chase survivors, just guard gens"
i don't see how that's relevent to what I'm saying about slugging. also I said what I said mainly to highlight a fundamental flaw in the game. Strangely enough, since then that flaw has now been addressed with the surrender option.
feel free to carefully reread and consider each word of what I said; I've already explained why your history is relevant to the post
ye I just don't see how it's relevant. But it's nice the Devs introduced the surrender option... That must mean it's bad decision based on previous posts I made apparently? That what your getting at?
They seem to be behaving now. Ive been far more pissy than they have in my more recent posts, sometimes admittedly undeservedly so.
When did I say you're not allowed to want a 4k? What I'm saying is that Killers will lose their **** at the possibility of anything less. They can't accept the fact that they're not going to 4k every single game. Getting a 3k and then the last Survivor getting hatch is okay, but you think it's not. And @Nomade in particular just proves my point, while also being hypocritical. You're like "What's wrong with wanting a 4k?" while also acting like it's wrong for us to want to escape every once in a while.
You can only stay hidden for so long realistically. The killer will eventually find you if they're not blind. Which leave you the option of preemptively running which is just holding W. Yes you can try to lose line of sight but again if the killer is halfway decent they'll find you. Or looping. Even if by some miracle you don't get found then every killer will complain that survivors are playing in a boring way.
Getting 3k and the last survivor is ok, just like tunneling for the 4k is ok. You say killers lose their ######### if they don't get the 4k but survivors also lose their ######### if they don't get the hath, so much that before the surrender option was available survivors would hide for up to an hour waiting for the hatch.
My point was that you can hide, loop, or hold W. Or obviously you can use the three in some combination. Either way each one will be complained about.
Exactly - you're so good at finding unintended gameplay it got you a ban from this forum.
The devs said they intended the surrender option as a part of anti-slug efforts.
If The Guy Who Finds Unintended Stuff is telling them that the thing they wanted to be anti-slug is actually pro-slug, that is extremely valuable information to have. I'd trust your feedback more than any other user on this forum when it comes to that particular aspect of the game precisely because of that history
"Lately" xD, tunneling was always meta even years ago, it was probably worse because no endurance when unhooked… fast 3v1 is obviously best strategy, i'm REALLY curious about their "anti-tunneling" update later this year, it was always a mess and impossible to fix for nearly 10 years… what changed ?
You are not forced into consistently camping and tunneling in a public match if you're any good at the game. The DbD community has a massive Dunning-Kruger problem. The notion that killer players have where you're either tunneling or perfectly distributing 12 hooks is ridiculous.
Killers can play for hooks if they put in the time to improve. Most won't. They'll assume they're high MMR even if they're losing consistently, never question that bafflingly dumb logic, start tunneling every game, and wonder why they're still struggling against good players after 2000 hours.
Tunneling is way too impactful relative to how easy it is. And the counter relies on magically predicting that you need DS or OTR while also getting teammates who will be perfectly efficient on gens while someone is being tunneled.
I'll take that as a compliment lol.
Tunneling has a counter, it's called looping, windows, pallets, jungle gyms - the amount of ez they have added to this game for survivors is crazy, but I don't blame them. You guys keep getting on and threatening to leave and they get scared for some reason. I'd prefer players that can't handle tunneling to try a different game.
Sure, you could say it's that easy to counter tunneling (but it's not as easy as you claim, sorry to rain on your parade), and doing nothing but looping all game doesn't make it fun. Idk about you, but I'd like to do some other things. Some gens, some altruism, along with some chases.
And if the game is so hard for Killers that they're forced to rely on tunneling to even stand a chance, why are they playing?
Maybe you should try a different game if you can't handle not tunneling.
Because tunneling IS a strategy. Tournament players use it. And camping too. Gens are done in 60 seconds now, everything has to be on the table for killers.. Trying to make the game ezmode for people who can't counter a strategy with another strategy is not REMOTELY the same as "no, YOU quit the game because you aren't allowed to use tunneling anymore because it makes the game hard 4 me."
It's time for people to get better in place of using nerfing as a "strategy" because Behavior is afraid to lose players who demand participation trophies. If you don't want to get better given the countless advantages (pallets and windows around every corner, basecamp BT, basecamp hook facecamp timer, no deadends anymore, survivors win the 8 generator kicks, survivors move immediately after knockdown instead of getting reset to killers' feet) then why are you playing? Why does Behavior have to keep giving you help instead of providing you opportunities to train and get better?
So if gens took longer, you think people would stop tunneling?
Yes and running Windows of Opp and being able to w-key across the entire map isn't super easy either lol. Given the numerous opportunities to win and dodge for survivors combined with now lightning fast gens? Sorry, camping and tunneling need to stay and you guys need to figure out how to better utilize all the gifts this game maker has given you. It's time for YOU to skill up instead.
If you want to remove tunneling even more than it's already been removed, then we need to eliminate 30%+ of the pallets and windows that are always there for your escape. I'd love to see skilled survivors again, instead of fools that bag at the gate after theyve just run from corner to corner while gens are done in a few mins, and taunt as if they have skill lololol
but when killers opt to not tunnel and they slug instead then people don't like that either.
My suggestion is learn stealth, it works for me as survivor. It allows me to do gens, go for saves and if you want a chase you have the choice to go look for it or remain stealthy doing gens and it helps stop tunneling before it even happens. Covers everything you want. I'm not a pro player and I'm sure if I can do it, anyone can. Make shadow boon your best friend. As a scratch mirror Myers that thing is the bane of my existence so I know it works with helping survivors remain stealthy.
There'd be a lot less complaining about tunneling if those "countless advantages" made tunneling less effective. But they don't, and that's why Killers continue to tunnel.
Thankfully I don't get tunneled a whole lot, but it's still annoying af when I do. Whenever I run the anti-tunnel perks, guess what? They actually encourage the Killer to tunnel me rather than discourage them. Now why do you think that is?
I don't think anyone has a right to tell Survivors they need to "get gud" against tunneling when they only play Killer. I've had some matches where I've been tunneled but managed to run the Killer long enough for the teammates to complete the gens and escape, but I sure as hell didn't enjoy them. It's like having a fly buzzing around your ears, and you can't just swat it with a fly swatter.
Slugging is even more annoying than tunneling because it removes player agency. You can't do anything other than crawl around, and there are even fewer defenses against slugging than there are against tunneling.
Oh yeah, stealth is my preferred way to play as well, but as you admitted earlier, it fails sometimes.
Another thing that people fail to notice (and I can see why), is that we do recognize that there's a time and a place to tunnel and/or slug. Towards the endgame, yes, it makes sense to use that as a strategy. But many Killers have pushed those strats beyond the acceptable level, doing so at five gens against the first person they found. Or slugging from the very start and leaving them to bleed out, with no intention of hooking anyone. The last one in particular there is no justification for, ever.
I did not really ask to be proselytized into the Killer religion thing you have going on there.
This whole woe is the Killer main thing was almost true in 2018 but repeating it in 2025 is just silly.
I am trying to talk sense and reality. I do not need your ideas on the Killer side of things, that is functionally the only side I ever played.
The reality of the situation is that Killers have more power than they used to. Not Eruption Overbrine levels, but the game is balanced to favor them. Woe is me gets you nowhere.
If you want to make people miserable, that is your prerogative.
But you say it makes sense to tunnel near end game where in my experience that far into the game makes tunneling far less effective and often a bad strategy as by that point the damage is already done. It makes more sense to tunnel from the get go when it's at its most effective.
It seems the annoying elements for a survivor is removing player agency but that's literally the killers goal. Slugging, tunneling, camping all removes player agency, all stops the survivor from doing anything. That's what killers are supposed to do. any tactic that doesn't remove player agency is a poor tactic for a killer.
Personally for me, being slugged is no different to being hooked. If anything I rather be slugged so I can crawl around, maybe move to a better location like near a pallet or one of the possible hatch spawn locations. (A few times I got hatch that way) that's something I can't do if I'm on the hook. Both hooked and slugged means I'm helpless and require my team to help so it makes no difference but I'm not going to suggest we remove hooks or something because they remove player agency. Especially now the surrender option is available, if all are slugged people can just abandon so there shouldn't be any issues with deliberately waiting out 4min slug time when everyone is slugged.
Stealth does sometimes fail but that's ok, can't expect a strategy to be 100% effective. It needs to fail from time. Especially for a survivor where the Devs want them to fail more than a killer. They aim for 60/40 kill rate, making stealth 100% effective would tip the scales too much.
It definitely seems like a lot of survivors just simply don't like the survivor role because the oppositions goal is to basically remove the player from the game or remove player agency. If the killer succeeds if their goals then survivors don't like it. Another reason why I like killer role, I know I can play a match from start to finish, that's something survivors can't do unless all escape which if that's happening all the time it means there's a major issue with the game.
Part of it is the streamers fault as well
"See guys if I didnt tunnel then…."
Which is a coping mechanism used to invalidate everything else that happened in the match that could have been done differently.
Viewers take this as gospel and here we are, people thinking they need to tunnel their massive majority soloQ games. Because those survivors are so efficient.
As I said, there are times when it makes sense to tunnel/slug/camp. I personally hate getting teammates with those kinds of builds, because they're not there to escape/win. They don't care about doing gens. So why would they get pissed when they die? I honestly don't understand that logic.
@Prometheus1092 Amazing how your experience can be so different from mine, as well as others I've seen on Twitch, etc. I've played and seen countless matches where the Survivors would bust three gens within the first minute, and then the Killer would pick up the pressure and eventually win the game. Whether it be by tunneling or other means. I see far fewer instances of Survivors coming back after a bad start. I believe that's the primary reason why we see so many Survivors giving up, because of how early they lose the game, even before they actually die.
Recovering from slugging is way more precarious than being unhooked because we don't have the basekit endurance. Yes, I run Soul Guard, and I hate that I have to have that as a permanent fixture in my perk slot, along with Kindred. I'd love to be able to run different builds, but oh no, it's far too risky to remove either of these perks.
Doing 3 gens isn't near end game that's mid game. 1 or 2 gens remaining is towards end game. You said tunneling near end game... I take that as tunneling when there is 1 or maybe 2 gens remaining, at which point it is usually too late to tunnel. Tunneling start and mid game yes it's very strong.
Another core aspect of survivor you seem to not like.... Survivors are strongest at the start when there are more of them, more gens to complete. They naturally get weaker as the match progresses. Killer is opposite. Killer is weaker at the start and gets stronger as the match goes on. Stronger with each player they eliminate while making survivors weaker. Stronger with gen defence due to less needing to be protected. This is the nature of killer and survivor. thats why killers tunnel so early, effective and helps be in a stronger position at the end because if they don't then they spend all match getting nowhere because survivors will be just as stronger as they were at the start. So if survivors have a bad start then it's usually only down hill from that point. If killers have a bad start they can come back easier through natural progression where they get stronger as the match goes on. Longer they leave it, stronger survivors are and weaker the killer is at the end game. If you want the ability to come back from a bad game then killer is the role for you. Survivor role naturally doesn't work that way.
As for the primary reason so many give up early, strongly disagree. In both my killer matches and survivor matches people will give up at the slightest thing 10 seconds into the match. Killer they don't like? Map they don't like? Killer found them first? More people will give up in the first minute of a match and that's before they have given the match a chance. Truly can't wait for go next prevention, it's insane how many go next before anything actually happens, not tunneled, camp, slug... Simply need to look at some survivors with Myers and they run up to me lol.
And that's exactly why tunneling is so unnecessary at the start of the game. Killers naturally get stronger as the match progresses regardless of what happens. Sure, you can say I don't like that, but I see no reason to change that.
Yes, I said that's the primary reason, not the only reason. I know there are petty ones who will give up from the start. I really don't see this "go-next" prevention changing anything, though. At no point do we ever see the same person giving up over and over. It's always a different person who may just be having a one-off bad game.
Because it is the easiest way to win the majority of your matches. It takes far less skill to tunnel than it does to prevent a tunnel, which results in a lot of Killers winning more than they probably should.
I speak in what I want the game to be. The game has always rewarded lower-skill tactics more than high-skill. Tunneling has always been an issue. To counter your point that if "Killers were stronger they wouldn't be playing so hard" Eruption meta.
By FAR the strongest Killer has ever been. Eruption applied big regression and locked people off of ANY action for half a minute. Overbrine speed up gen regression, 25% chunk Pop and OG PR made for an absurd meta.
Did we see Killers stop tunneling? No, we saw it increase, at the time, I really thought it would. The easiest path to victory will always be the most popular.
Simple as that.
Tunneling is an exploit of game design, it takes no skill, denies agency from survivors. It's easy to do which is why so many killers do it.
"Tunneling" is the killer doing his objective (killing survivors).
Do you want them to stand still?
That's like saying:
Gen rushing is an exploit of game design, it takes no skill, denies agency from killers. It's easy to do which is why so many survivors do it.
(You can't blame killers for doing their objective, killing survivors)
Makes no sense as tunneling means the killer has to chase, down and hook that same survivor multiple times. Makes no difference if it's the same survivor or any other survivor, the killer still has to do the same, chase, down, hook which demonstrates the same amount of skill. If killers were doing something that made chasing and downing easier then you might have a point but thats not the case.
If you want to talk about skill then where is the skill in doing gens (the main objective of a survivor)? Assuming 1 player can showcase their amazing looping skills to keep the killer occupied long enough for others to do gens... What skill are the 3 other survivors showing by sitting on a gen? None lol
Dbd is a simple game really, all it boils down to is can the killer kill faster than the survivors are doing gens or can the survivors do gens faster than the killers can kill. Survivors way of slowing the killers down is loop then for as long as possible, there are other ways but that's just 1 way. Killers way to slow survivors down is eliminate them 1 by 1 so less are working on gens. There are other tactics but that's just 1 way to do it. Whoever is faster usually wins. Efficiency from both sides usually means gen rushing v tunneling.
You hit the nail on its head with that explanation. I'm curious of you're gonna get a reply or just a simple downvote appreciation.
Why would they stand still when they are supposed to chase survivors and defend gens?
They're supposed to kill, mecca. Killers are killers. Not Chasers or Defenders.
That's really like comparing apples to oranges. Survivors doing generators is the killer failing to do their job. A killer tunneling a survivor means that one survivor had no ability to play the game whereas the killer can still play the game.
I mean, survivors are supposed to survive too, right? Tunneling denies all chances for the survivor.
Taking chase as Survivor is as much part of the game as a Killer defending their generators. Getting chased does not mean "you have no ability to play the game". Heck! You're in the midst of the action!
The Killer's objective is to KILL Survivors. The Survivor's objective is to escape. As long as you're doing this within the boundaries BHVR has put up, you shouldn't have to listen to what anyone has to say. And yes, including your opponents. Because the rules they put up are most likely there to make it easier for them, and more difficult for you.
Yes, and the Killer has to kill. You're playing a PvP game, people win and people lose. That's part of it.
And here's where the issue lies. As I've been saying, there's a time to tunnel, but most Killers have been pushing beyond those boundaries so much that BHVR has had to step in to tone it down some, with plans to do a bit more in the second phase of the Quality of Life Initiative. What exactly they're planning to do is unknown as of right now.
Strange times when it's the Nemeses that go easy on me.
In other words, just accept the loss beyond your control. That's not what you call fairness.
PvP should have some balance and there is none here.
Honestly can't wait for anti tunnel to come in lol just to prove I can still tunnel and make it effective. This is like the anti camp thing all over again. When they were talking about anti camp all survivors were saying "killers won't be able to camp anymore". All it did was teach killers to camp better, proxi camp instead of face camp. And the anti slug... All it did was make it so survivors can abandon when all slugged. I can almost guarantee anti tunnel will not prevent killers tunneling from the get go. They already know sometimes killers need to tunnel, you said it yourself there is a time to tunnel. If they nerf tunneling that drastically then tunneling later in the game won't be effective at all when it's needed for these times you talk about. if they succeed in doing a successful anti tunnel without breaking the game I will be very impressed.